Questions on caching with ipod

elmuyloco5

We currently have a Palm Tungsten Z2 that we use for paperless caching. I'm generally an organized person until it comes to recording addresses and such, so my PDA doesn't see much use outside the caching arena.

I've noticed that some people are using ipods to go paperless and I'm interested in finding out just how paperless this is making things. I've seen CacheMagnet and read briefly about it. I don't own an ipod, so I can't try it out. But, before I go buy one, I want to know if CacheMagnet or a combination of it and something else can cover all my wants.

1.I want to be able to download the entire cache description, a few past logs, the hint, and basic info like who hid the cache and what size it was.

2. I want to be able to input text or audio information while away from my computer for inputing my "log" and for recording answers to puzzles and multis as I perform them. Text input is fine, or recording my voice would work too.

Can an Ipod do that? Are there limits to the model of Ipod that can perform this (i.e. size requirements and software conflicts)?

Also, I haven't really spent alot of time looking at an Ipod, so forgive me if this is a stupid questions.....is there a mini-usb slot on the ipod? If not, can you purchase a cable that fits into the ipod that has one end that is a regular usb connector? Our car stereo has input for a regular sized usb connector and we currently have our music stored on usb sticks. I would like to hook the ipod up to this for music.

Thanks!!

I have an I-pod nano and have used cachemagnet. All that you can do is view the cache descriptions and past logs. You can't add info or even mark a cache as found. The I-pod does have a USB cable with it. My DVD player has an USB interface, but it does not read my I-pod so ask around before making the purchase if it is important to play the music through your radio.

Does your nano or the classic have a voice recorder? I noticed that Cachemagnet comes in through the note pad on the ipod, does that render the notepad unusable? I guess what I'm asking is can you still use the notepad to jot down info?

I'm pretty sure that our stereo accepts ipods, but I will definately read the manual again to check. Yeah, I checked....it has a full ipod interface.

Edited by elmuyloco5

I have been using my ipod for paperless and like it. I use GSAK to get all the info to the ipod. If you have the latest version of GSAK there is a macro that exports it for you. It puts the info in the notes and includes all the everything thats on the cache page(name, placed by, difficulty, terrain, coordinates, size, description, last 5 logs, and hint). The only thing it wont include is any pictures on the cache page. There is no way I know of to input text through the ipod like you want to. Anything added to the notes has to be transfered from the computer as far as I know. There is also no voice recorder. So inputing notes on the fly I think it's a no go, but as far as everything else I would recommend it. Also, they do come with a cable to hook up to your usb on the computer.

no way to input notes to an iPod other than through your computer. You can get an add-on microphone that plugs into the slot on the bottom and use this for creating voice memos that you can save and playback through the iTunes player or the iPod. I use the Griffin iTalk for recording my practice sessions with my mandolin. Never thought of using it for voice notes while caching but I will now. No more writing down all the tooks and lefts while doing a multi-cache day! Thanks for the idea!

Edited by KJcachers

no way to input notes to an iPod other than through your computer. You can get an add-on microphone that plugs into the slot on the bottom and use this for creating voice memos that you can save and playback through the iTunes player or the iPod. I use the Griffin iTalk for recording my practice sessions with my mandolin. Never thought of using it for voice notes while caching but I will now. No more writing down all the tooks and lefts while doing a multi-cache day! Thanks for the idea!

How much does the microphone cost, and where can I look into getting one? Are they large, or pretty decent in size? Thanks for the idea!

As a side note....and totally off topic.....watch the oil levels on your KJ. We had a 2002 that died this year. We had all the timely oil changes and suddenly this year after 100k, everything started falling apart on it. We had it in at least once a month to have a major repair done. If that wasn't bad enough, in Aug. while we were 30 miles from the nearest town in the desert up by the Four Corners, our engine seized. We have documentation that the oil had been checked each month for 3 months prior to it, and all was well. The engine was found to have no oil in it, it was completely dry. There were no leak points, no warning lights came on (even after the engine seized up), and the Jeep mechanic can't figure it out. We've been battling the GAP insurance through Jeep ever since. I don't want to scare you, but since I saw your avatar, I thought I would just quickly let you know. I'd hate to see anyone else have to go through what we did. I'm sure if you watch it closely, you should be ok.

Edited by elmuyloco5

Thanks!!! I appreciate the link!

BTW, hope I didn't come across as a weirdo about the car.....I just can't help but feel for people when I see someone driving a KJ. I just think, "geez, I hope they don't go through it too". Anyway....just hoping to save you a bit of grief.

Edited by elmuyloco5