Garmin Colorado External Power Dilema

yogazoo

Unit: Colorado 300

I have noticed that whenever external power is supplied either from a computer, wall usb outlet, or car adapter, you can't get it out of USB transfer mode, essentially rendering the unit useless as a GPS. Anyone else notice this? Sloppy firmware is all I can think of.

I have noticed that whenever external power is supplied either from a computer, wall usb outlet, or car adapter, you can't get it out of USB transfer mode, essentially rendering the unit useless as a GPS. Anyone else notice this? Sloppy firmware is all I can think of.

I ran into the same issue. If anyone has a solution, I'd love to hear it.

Yes this is an issue. It's documented on the issues thread here although it could be generalized since it happens when you plug into any USB cable, not just a PC.

I talked to Garmin support about this yesterday and they agreed it was an issue. Given they sell a USB car adapter it would seem like they would need to fix this ASAP!

GO$Rs

It's a user's fault, not the device. If you use an original Garmin supply, you don't suffer from this problem. I know, as I have Garmin's chargers as well as their automotive supply, and it works without any problem at all.

Third party equipment may not respect the required connector configuration, which serves to let the Colorado enter USB mode when connecting to a computer, but not otherwise.

It's a user's fault, not the device. If you use an original Garmin supply, you don't suffer from this problem. I know, as I have Garmin's chargers as well as their automotive supply, and it works without any problem at all.

Third party equipment may not respect the required connector configuration, which serves to let the Colorado enter USB mode when connecting to a computer, but not otherwise.

Hmm, this seems a bit anti-competative. I don't have to use a RIM branded charger to power a Blackberry. Hell, I don't need a Sony branded charger for a PSP. Why do we need a Garmin branded auto-adapter for a Colorado? (I made my own power/data cable for my GPS V. Thank you pfranc!)

Not true in my case, I have an "official" garmin wall outlet USB power converter and it still doesn't work. Unless what your saying is that they completely changed the pin-out protocal for the new Colorado's. Garmin usually doesn't pull fast ones like that, they are generally good at being backwards compatible. That's why I feel its in the crappy firmware they slapped on the units to get them out the door.

I have a mini USB charger for my T-Mobile Dash smartphone. I plugged it into my Colorado 400t and it went through the normal startup procedure (which for me is 2 minutes worth of "loading maps" before the unit does anything else. Once the maps loaded, the unit worked fine on external power. I even took the batteries out to confirm and the unit stayed on.

So far this thread is suggesting that there may be some inconsitence on how Colorado's deal with external power on the USB mini-B port. This is a little alarming.

I must confess, I am happy that Garmin is offering an RS232 cable for the Colorado. I was a bit worried about how I might met NMEA sentences into my telescope's computer without an RS232 interface on the GPS.

..., which serves to let the Colorado enter USB mode when connecting to a computer, but not otherwise.
Hmm,

but what if I don't want USB mode on my Computer ?

I want to have it connected to my Laptop and run e.g. nroute, and let the Colorado behave as a GPS, and not as USB connected disk ?

Edited by NewZealand

Could it be that the 300 and 400t have seperate issues? It seems that, at least in some instances, the 400t and 300 users are experiencing different problems. It wierd how my unit exhibits such strange and prevailant battery/power issues (Colorado telling me the batts are dead but when I stick a Voltmeter on them they are fresh). I wonder if the unit firmware is different for each model.

I can tell you that my 300 does not work with USB power as a GPS, only as an external disk (even on an "official" Garmin car adapter).

Yes this is an issue. It's documented on the issues thread here although it could be generalized since it happens when you plug into any USB cable, not just a PC.

I talked to Garmin support about this yesterday and they agreed it was an issue. Given they sell a USB car adapter it would seem like they would need to fix this ASAP!

GO$Rs

It is absolutly a problem. Garmin support has recognized this problem (see above).

This is the first time I have followed a new release of a Garmin gps. Have other units experinced proublems also. I would think Garmin would work these out before releasing it. From what I have been reading this thing is a mess.I myself don't like being a Beta tester with my hard earned money. Where are the Garmin techs on this site, I would feel better if they answered some questions here

Well, I plug the Colorado into the computer using a Garmin USB cable, then a USB cable delivered with a Canon camera. In both cases it enters USB drive mode, as expected.

Then I connect a Garmin wall socket charger or the Garmin car power supply, and it turns on when external power is sensed, then boots up in GPS navigation mode.

I do have one USB cable somewhere, that was delivered with a card reader (I think), that perhaps is different. It didn't trigger the USB drive mode on the StreetPilot c550, which was my first GPS with a USB connector. Well, apart from the Palm-based iQues, but that's another story.

Anyway, that cable was lacking something to tell the GPS it was connected to a computer. But I don't remember exactly what it was.

Anyway, using Garmin's equipment, I see no faults at all. But there's indeed a setting in the Colorado for the transmission of NMEA messages, so they have thought about gettting them out, one way or another. Probably through the use of the PC RS232 data cable.

Edited by apersson850

Well, I plug the Colorado into the computer using a Garmin USB cable, then a USB cable delivered with a Canon camera. In both cases it enters USB drive mode, as expected.

Then I connect a Garmin wall socket charger or the Garmin car power supply, and it turns on when external power is sensed, then boots up in GPS navigation mode.

I do have one USB cable somewhere, that was delivered with a card reader (I think), that perhaps is different. It didn't trigger the USB drive mode on the StreetPilot c550, which was my first GPS with a USB connector. Well, apart from the Palm-based iQues, but that's another story.

Anyway, that cable was lacking something to tell the GPS it was connected to a computer. But I don't remember exactly what it was.

Anyway, using Garmin's equipment, I see no faults at all. But there's indeed a setting in the Colorado for the transmission of NMEA messages, so they have thought about gettting them out, one way or another. Probably through the use of the PC RS232 data cable.

I have a similar problem with my NUVI770. Using the car 12volt adapter the unit works as a GPSR. If I connect the unit to my PC with the USB cable it enters mass storage mode. If I use an AC adapter that has a USB output it goes into mass storage mode. The output of the AC adapter is 5volts. I do not have the Garmin AC power adapter that plugs into the USB port. I wonder if that adapter has a larger power output than the USB standard of about 5 volts. I'm wondering if the unit sees a larger voltage [such as 9volts] if it then powers in the GPSR mode and not the mass storage mode.

After a call and some time spent with a garmin engineer we have concluded that there is HALF a problem. We walked through powering up with multiple cables (wall outlet adapter, DC Car charger, and PC cable) on both the 400t AND the 300.

The result was bifurcated: PC cables and wall outlet adapter=USB mode ONLY, Car adapter=working normally as a GPS.

He explained that in the early plans for the Colorado was the ability to charge NIMH batteries with external power. He had said that the probable reason for the hang up on the PC and the wall adapter was remnant language in the Firmware that was left over from this. He was going to place the problem in "the parking lot" to be evaluated for future firmware updates.

A little more data from Garmin tech support

The Colorado actually uses a new DC adaptor. For more information on this new adaptor, please visit https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=1350. As for the use of nRoute, this is currently only possible with a serial connection. You would also need the serial cable, https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=1169. With the exception of the two cables just mentioned, the unit will go into USB Mass Storage mode whenever any cable is connected. We have not yet heard if this will be changed. If it is, it would most likely be with a future software update.

He explained that in the early plans for the Colorado was the ability to charge NIMH batteries with external power. He had said that the probable reason for the hang up on the PC and the wall adapter was remnant language in the Firmware that was left over from this.

I wonder what the issues were regarding this feature. Maybe the problem is that consumers would accidentally try charging their non-rechargable batteries, creating a fire risk, or damage to the unit. I personally loved charging the batteries in my eXplorist without ever having to remove them. Especially when the cover is such a pain to remove on the Colorado.

--Marky

Seems risky, as charging drycells will cause overheating. Eventually, someone will do it, if it can be done, no matter how stupid it is.

Applying even the tiniest amount of greease inside the cover takes care of that problem. Using a little bit of lip moistioner will do, for example, without compromising your unit. Besides, after some use, the cover opens a lot easier.

Seems risky, as charging drycells will cause overheating. Eventually, someone will do it, if it can be done, no matter how stupid it is.

Applying even the tiniest amount of greease inside the cover takes care of that problem. Using a little bit of lip moistioner will do, for example, without compromising your unit. Besides, after some use, the cover opens a lot easier.

My guess is that they would have written the ability to autodetect the battery type in the firmware. Many chargers already can detect what types of batteries are placed in them and shutdown if they are the wrong ones.

Their appearant disfunction in writing decent firmware before releasing a new unit would have probably caused the early units to explode. Just a guess. :o

OR they would have gotten the recharging thing correct but would have forgotten to add the map screen. :D

Edited by yogazoo

I spotted a post referring to NUVIs and how to get them to produce live tracking on a PC.

- Turn on the Nuvi and put it into diagnostic mode. Look for the screen that tells you about the USB stuff, it's the first screen that appears on my unit.

- Connect the Nuvi to your computer with the USB cable, the screen will show that you have done this.

- Exit diagnostic mode. The Nuvi will reboot like it always does when exiting diagnostic mode, but instead of booting into mass storage mode it will boot normally while still connected via USB.

- You can now track in your mapping software

I wonder if someone with a Colorado could see if the same trick works as apparently there's a lot of Nuvi DNA in the Colorado's makeup.

I spotted a post referring to NUVIs and how to get them to produce live tracking on a PC.

- Turn on the Nuvi and put it into diagnostic mode. Look for the screen that tells you about the USB stuff, it's the first screen that appears on my unit.

- Connect the Nuvi to your computer with the USB cable, the screen will show that you have done this.

- Exit diagnostic mode. The Nuvi will reboot like it always does when exiting diagnostic mode, but instead of booting into mass storage mode it will boot normally while still connected via USB.

- You can now track in your mapping software

I wonder if someone with a Colorado could see if the same trick works as apparently there's a lot of Nuvi DNA in the Colorado's makeup.

Borrowed from GO_Cachers FAQs :

M1.) Are there any special modes? How do I get there?

Yes. Press the center button of the Rock'n Roller and hold it down while powering the GPS on. You'll enter a debug test mode that will give internal data and test screens.

Norm

Edited by RRLover

Dont forget the pinout for a "mini USB" adaptor for the car have a resistor isn't present with a normal usb cable See this link (look for the "X" pin)

This resistor make a difference between a pc connection and car adaptor ...

Maybe is the problem ...

I think you are right about the pin. The pin is used by dual mode USB devices to determine if they are the host or not. The host provides power so power connectors act like a host. USB mass storage mode is a peripheral and receives power in the USB dual mode protocol described in the USB OTG spec, See Fig 2: http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm?appno...22&CMP=WP-3

GO$Rs

I purchased the Garmin DC adapter cable - 12v outlet (cigarette lighter) to usb. I plugged it into my 12v jack (cigarette lighter) in the car and it booted up in map mode........it did not go into usb/PC transfer mode. It just ran as though it had been turned on with battery power. I removed the batteries and ran the unit off vehicle power, and the same thing happened - it booted up in map mode........not usb transfer or PC mode. So, forget the aftermarket cable crap and just pop the extra $10 bucks for the Garmin DC cable. The cable packaging indicated that the cable was for the Nuvi and Street Pilot models. By the way, mine is the 400t. Rider

Dont forget the pinout for a "mini USB" adaptor for the car have a resistor isn't present with a normal usb cable See this link (look for the "X" pin)

This resistor make a difference between a pc connection and car adaptor ...

Maybe is the problem ...

I think you are right about the pin. The pin is used by dual mode USB devices to determine if they are the host or not. The host provides power so power connectors act like a host. USB mass storage mode is a peripheral and receives power in the USB dual mode protocol described in the USB OTG spec, See Fig 2: http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm?appno...22&CMP=WP-3

Got it. I found some pretty good information here . The key point being this:

As a device can be either a host (A-device) or peripheral (B-device) and that the USB specification calls for different types of connectors for upstream and downstream ports, the OTG spec introduced two additional connectors. One such connector is a mini A/B connector allowing a mini A or mini B connector to plug into the one recepticle. A dual-role device is required to be able to detect whether a Mini-A or Mini-B plug is inserted by determining if the ID pin (an extra pin introduced by OTG) is connected to ground.

You can verify this by looking at the Colorado's diagnostic screen. If a USB cable is plugged in (from a PC or an AC adapter, I verified both) it will say something like "USB Type B" which puts the CO in USB storage mode. I don't have a DC adapter here but I'm guessing if someone put the CO in diag mode and looked while it was connected they would see "USB Type A". The specification says that Mini-B USB cables have a black insulator around the pins while Mini-A's have white. It would be interesting to see if the Garmin DC adapter is marked as such. The difference between Mini-A and Mini-B is whether Pin 5 (ID) is grounded (Type-A) or not (Type- B )

GO$Rs

Edit:stupid icons

Edited by g-o-cashers

I purchased the Garmin DC adapter cable - 12v outlet (cigarette lighter) to usb. I plugged it into my 12v jack (cigarette lighter) in the car and it booted up in map mode........it did not go into usb/PC transfer mode. It just ran as though it had been turned on with battery power. I removed the batteries and ran the unit off vehicle power, and the same thing happened - it booted up in map mode........not usb transfer or PC mode. So, forget the aftermarket cable crap and just pop the extra $10 bucks for the Garmin DC cable. The cable packaging indicated that the cable was for the Nuvi and Street Pilot models. By the way, mine is the 400t. Rider

I have had no problem using my 300 by plugging into my cig lighter in the truck, just as rjfrider stated. It behaves just like my 60Cx when plugging in, and upon unplugging, prompting me with choices to "turn off in 30 sec" or continue with battery power. I ordered mine thru Amazon.com for $22.68 vs. the $28 Garmin listed. It is packaged for the Nuvi but is applicable for our Colorado's.

You can verify this by looking at the Colorado's diagnostic screen. If a USB cable is plugged in (from a PC or an AC adapter, I verified both) it will say something like "USB Type B" which puts the CO in USB storage mode. I don't have a DC adapter here but I'm guessing if someone put the CO in diag mode and looked while it was connected they would see "USB Type A". The specification says that Mini-B USB cables have a black insulator around the pins while Mini-A's have white. It would be interesting to see if the Garmin DC adapter is marked as such. The difference between Mini-A and Mini-B is whether Pin 5 (ID) is grounded (Type-A) or not (Type- B )

GO$Rs

I looked at my DC cable.....no markings whether Mini-A or Mini-B. However, the insulation around the pins inside the mini usb appears to be black. rider

It's probably not much help, but I just got my Colorado car kit in last night. It does indeed power the GPS in normal mode, without it switching to mass storage mode. I can check the connector when I get back home tonight if needed.

As previous posts mention, there are differences between a true USB cable (Mini-:smile: and a USB charging cable (Mini-A). I have a couple of smartphones that behave the same way. The chargers for them will probably also work "normally" for the Colorado. I can check that tonight as well.

It's probably not much help, but I just got my Colorado car kit in last night. It does indeed power the GPS in normal mode, without it switching to mass storage mode. I can check the connector when I get back home tonight if needed.

As previous posts mention, there are differences between a true USB cable (Mini-:D and a USB charging cable (Mini-A). I have a couple of smartphones that behave the same way. The chargers for them will probably also work "normally" for the Colorado. I can check that tonight as well.

I responded above because I have the same problem with a smart phone, not because I have Colorado. I may be way off when it comes to a Colorado. The thing that bothers me is that if you are in mass storage mode the PC should act the same as a charger. I found out yesterday that it turns out there other options for pin X besides open or grounded(powered or not). See this site for how a phone works. I have no idea how how a Colorado works, but maybe the phone scheme is a universally accepted method.
mini-usb_male.gif Shorting pin X to pin 2 and to pin 4 via R=200KOhm causes the phone to go into charge mode.

Edited by John E Cache

This is how you make it go into GPS mode, Taking from the FAQ.

Depending on the type of USB cable you plug into, Mini-USB Type-A or Mini-USB Type-B, you will get a different result. Plugging into a Type-B cable (the cable which comes with the Colorado is Type-B as well as many USB AC adapters) causes the CO to enter USB storage mode. Plugging into a Type-A cable (the cable used for the Garmin auto power adapter) causes it remain in "normal GPS" mode.

You can change the Colorado's behavior when it is plugged into a Type-B cable (i.e. a computer or USB AC adapter) by changing the Interface to Garmin Spanner (goto Setup->System->Interface). With this setting enabled the Colorado will ask if you want to go into USB storage mode when you connect to your computer. If you answer "No" the Colorado will remain on, work like a GPS and draw power from the computer's USB port. You cannot transfer data to/from the Colorado in this mode, it is primarily used for tracking applications.

You can change the Colorado's behavior when it is plugged into a Type-B cable (i.e. a computer or USB AC adapter) by changing the Interface to Garmin Spanner (goto Setup->System->Interface). With this setting enabled the Colorado will ask if you want to go into USB storage mode when you connect to your computer. If you answer "No" the Colorado will remain on, work like a GPS and draw power from the computer's USB port. You cannot transfer data to/from the Colorado in this mode, it is primarily used for tracking applications.

Thank you for posting this! My wife and I were in Moab for Thanksgiving weekend running a few Jeep trails and we wanted to track our trail but couldn't figure out why our gps was always going into file transfer mode when we plugged in our car charging usb cable. Now for our next trip we know what to do!

The Garmin Car charger for the Colorado 300 has pin 4 on the mini USB connector connected to Pin 4 via 18kOhm resistor.

I made my own external Power supply which includes this resistor and it works fine. Without this resistor it starts up as memory device.

hope this helps.