PQ 101?

Shadowrider127

I just became a prem member and tried to run my 1st PQ

However, when I try to review it says sorry none found, or something like that.

I had it search for any within 100 mi of home coords, so I know there are plenty there.

What am I doing wrong?

Dennis

Try using your zip code rather than your home coords -- there's a known problem with using home coords for a PQ.

Also, make sure that you're not using options that cancel each other out: for instance, don't select "caches that I have found" and "caches that I haven't found", because there is no cache that you both have and have not found.

(Also, in case you're not already doing this: don't check any days of the week until you're happy with the "preview the results" page. Once the preview shows a reasonable-looking list, then select the day of the week to run it and have it emailed to you.)

Markwell has a great Pocket Queries tutorial that might help you out.

Here is how I set up part of the PQ form.

2e19e8d7-5e21-4326-8cef-6327c29f2302.jpg

Because there is a glitch with using "Home Coordinates" and your State, it is best to either enter the coordinates by hand, or use the GC code for a nearby cache.

Also, there are problems with Attributes, so in the beginning, don't select any of those.

Don't select a day for the PQ to run until the Preview looks right. After it is correct, chose the current day for it to run. It should arrive in your email InBox in just a few minutes.

Thanks for the help, I was able to get part by changing from coords, However..

I have loaded into GSAK 5 files, but only my finds, when I ran another PQ and previewed it looked fine.

When I unzipped and tried to load into Gsak it had message:

Totals

Waypoints in file(s) loaded 0

Additional child waypoints not added because no matching parents 11

Show full change log

Waypoints in each file

1594654-wpts.gpx (children) 11

There should have been 100 matches, not sure where the 11 came from

Any help would be great, i'm about to pull the rest of my hair out!!!

Dennis

Here's another way to use PQ: Make a bookmark list, say "Great Big County Park" or something. Put a bunch of caches on the bookmark list.(Yes, for this method you have to do them one by one). Click "create pocket query" on the bookmark list. (check the current day of the week and "run this query once then delete")

Check your email!

Here are a couple of advantages of using this slightly more work intensive method:

1) you only get caches you know you want to look for.

2) it is easy to delete from the bookmark list caches you've found and add new ones,

then when you upload it to your gps it will override what's already there and be up to date.

Thanks for the help, I was able to get part by changing from coords, However..

I have loaded into GSAK 5 files, but only my finds, when I ran another PQ and previewed it looked fine.

When I unzipped and tried to load into Gsak it had message:

Totals

Show full change log

Waypoints in each file

There should have been 100 matches, not sure where the 11 came from

Any help would be great, i'm about to pull the rest of my hair out!!!

Dennis

First, some explanations...

Take a look here:

pqgrid.jpg

Clicking "Add to Queue" doesn't add your PQ to the queue - it only adds the "My Finds" pocket query to the queue. If you've selected a day to run then you'll have to wait for it to be delivered to your in box (and you can only have that query delivered once per day).

When the query arrives, the zipped file will most likely contain two files. One will be something like 1044507.gpx and the other will be 1044507-wpts.gpx. The one with the -wpts in the name are the ADDITIONAL waypoints for each cache - things like parking coordinates or trailheads.

From your description above...

Totals

Show full change log

Waypoints in each file

...it's telling you that there were no CACHES loaded to the database, and that you tried to load an additional waypoints file. Moreover, it was telling you that the parent caches of these additional waypoints weren't in the database, so it couldn't load them.

Thanks for all the help.

I cannot believe this is whipping me so bad.

I finally got the 3 I wanted into my palm, (not sure how) I did use the bookmarks and it seemed to work better, just slower.

I am now trying to find out how to filter!!!!

I have 200 listed but when I filter by distance it says there are no waypoints entered, I am trying to use my location as GZ but ...

Also, how to I change from KM to miles, I have been looking on GSAK forum but so far no info.

Again thanks for all the help and if you know of a source link besides GSAK please let me know.

Thanks, Dennis

P.S. My Son and I did find the 3 I DL'ed

Thanks again for all the help, my main prob was I didn't have my owner ID, and it was hard to find, I did visit the GSAK forum and they got me through that part.

I am now trying to work with filters so I am sure I will be back to visit here and GSAK.

Miragee, I saved your tutorial so I may be able to do my filters without bothering anyone else.

Again, Thanks very much

Dennis