Night caching ?

LECTRAGLIDE

I would like to try night caching . Not realy sure where to go and what is acceptable .

What is a good type of cache to go after at night ? Parks and conservation areas are closed after sunset .

I live in Ma .and folks are a bit up tight about who is wandering arround in the dark .

Except of course if you are a illegal alien then you can do what ever you want without fear of prosecution.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

"Many can see but few have vision "

I don't know which I'd consider more suspicious....someone I caught claiming to be a "geocacher" or someone meandering about after dark with a police scanner claiming they are a "geocacher".

I second that... "Really officer, I'm not doing anything wrong, just geocaching" - "then what is the scanner for? do all geocachers have police scanners? what are you all really up to? are you planning on burying things here?"

:unsure:

I went out last night. Full moon 19 deg. no wind. Went to a cache I DNF last summer. It is in a Wildlife Management area. It took about an hour to get to GZ on snowshoes. Spent 20min. looking for cache, too cold for activity level. DNF But one of the most enjoyable hikes I have taken in a long time. Never had to turn on flash light.

I've cached at night quite a bit. I like it. I've gotten quite a few FTF going out at night. I've cached in town, up in the hills, and out at the river at night on nights wtih big bright moons and also on dark, moonless nights. It's a whole different experience.

I prefer to cache at night! Especially in the summer heat.

I almost always cache with others, from 2 to 20, and we don't cache much differently at night than in the daytime.

Seven of us in three cars were signing one hidden in a log wall behind a K-Mart last weekend when a cop rolled up, lowered his window and asked "What in the world are y'all up to?"

We laughed and variously answered "Geocaching!" "Treasure hunting!" and "Looking for something!", to which he responded, "dadgum, I thought I had come up on something good! Y'all have fun."

It happens a lot, no big deal.

One piece of advice. When it's late, don't park in the park parking lot. In general, don't park in an area that would make you suspicious. Find legal anonymous parking further away on the street and walk to the cache site.

We're all different - I park and cache in the open, obvious places... I WANT to be seen, you might say I hide in plain sight, because trying to be stealthy draws far more attention!

I want observers, especially police, curious but not suspicious.

Mostly I have found that if I act normal and as if I belong there and am not up to something I am accepted that way.

I'm an avid nightcrawler (see avatar). I coined the phrase NIGHTCRAWLING in my area and the locals have taken to mentioning "No Nightcrawling" in their listings because of it. I have a PQ set up for these attributes night-yes.gifavailable-yes.gif only!

It's my favorite time. Just a few minutes ago, about 20 minutes before midnight tonight, I grabbed an FTF in museum parking lot. If yer quick, you usually have no problems.

In all the encounters I've had with LEOs after dark, all have been pleasant. Most were "good luck!" and only a few were "Move along."

I echo what Alabama said in the post just above mine. Don't sneak around. Look like you know what you're doing. Smile. Be pleasant. Answer all questions accurately and politely.

But really, if you're a good cache hunter, you will likely find and be gone before any problems arise. I would recommend a brand of flashlight for you which is the best in the world, but GC frowns on that.

RATTLEBARS

Night cache all the time! When you drive home from work in the dark, any new cache that comes up after that is a night cache. Tonight's new cache, had three FTF hounds there and two of them had flashlights. Hey, not all FTF hounds are the brightest bulbs in the flashlights. It is a lot of fun.

Edited by The NVG

I'm an avid nightcrawler (see avatar). I coined the phrase NIGHTCRAWLING in my area and the locals have taken to mentioning "No Nightcrawling" in their listings because of it. I have a PQ set up for these attributes night-yes.gifavailable-yes.gif only!

It's my favorite time. Just a few minutes ago, about 20 minutes before midnight tonight, I grabbed an FTF in museum parking lot. If yer quick, you usually have no problems.

In all the encounters I've had with LEOs after dark, all have been pleasant. Most were "good luck!" and only a few were "Move along."

I echo what Alabama said in the post just above mine. Don't sneak around. Look like you know what you're doing. Smile. Be pleasant. Answer all questions accurately and politely.

But really, if you're a good cache hunter, you will likely find and be gone before any problems arise. I would recommend a brand of flashlight for you which is the best in the world, but GC frowns on that.

RATTLEBARS

I don't think there is any restriction on stating what kind of flashlight you use or think is best. I know there is an active thread about what kind of camera cachers use and another in the hiking forum about what kind of stoves do you use.