why do people do this?

mm_dancer

i was reading over a TB hotel page and here is the RULES:

- If you pick up a travel bug, please drop one off as well. If you pick up multiple, please drop off (at least) as many as you are picking up.

- Please make sure that there are always at least two (2) bugs left in the hotel. Nobody likes empty hotels (remember the movie “The Shining”???)

- If you do not have a travel bug to drop off, but you would still like to pick one up, you may do so as an exception, as long as you are not picking up one of the last two bugs from the hotel. However, please only do this if you can really help this bug to achieve its goal.

- If you drop off a travel bug, please label it to show the current goal. This helps other cachers to see if they can help this bug on its journey. You can use one of the sheets from the back of the logbook if you don’t have anything else to write on. You can attach the paper to the bug’s chain. I have included some Ziplocs if they are needed.

- Before you pick up a bug, please check its current goal and make sure that you can help to achieve it.

it has been said soooo many times that these rules are wrong, so why do so many ppl put these on hotel pages?

in my opinion a TB hotel that is constantly being emptied is more of a success than one holding TBs captive for months and months, an empty hotel means that the bugs are travelling, doing what they are suppose to be doing!

so i guess my question is, what is that cache owner gaining by always having 2 TBs in the cache at all times?

would you follow the RULES or just take any/all that you wanted?

just wondering what others takes are

I try to swap trackables but I pay no attention to hotel rules. In my early days as a hotel proprietor I thought I should be able to enforce silly rules like this, but I have become more enlightened. You can only hope the cache owners will learn with time, and in the meantime move trackables as you see fit.

I try to swap trackables but I pay no attention to hotel rules. In my early days as a hotel proprietor I thought I should be able to enforce silly rules like this, but I have become more enlightened. You can only hope the cache owners will learn with time, and in the meantime move trackables as you see fit.

I concur. I jsut take and move on if I can help them to acheive their mission. The bug owner would rather you take it than leave it in the hotel that might not get another bug to replace it.

Some of the more successful TB hotels are don't have hotel in their name or restrictions. Bugs and coins seem to fly in and out all the time. Hotels with the restrictions don't seem to have much traffic. I think they are set up to allow the cache owner have a nice warm fuzzy feeling. Grab and move those suckers.

Jim

So how long do you folks let coins/TBs sit in a hotel before liberating them?

I don't agree with "rules" either, but I do want to give the travelers a chance to catch a ride with someone else before I do a "prison break".

I hate to see any bug sit in any cache more than 30 days, but keep in mind this is a hotel. In my opinion, any bug sitting in a hotel past two weeks is fair game for a mass breakout.

it has been said soooo many times that these rules are wrong, so why do so many ppl put these on hotel pages?

in my opinion a TB hotel that is constantly being emptied is more of a success than one holding TBs captive for months and months, an empty hotel means that the bugs are travelling, doing what they are suppose to be doing!

so i guess my question is, what is that cache owner gaining by always having 2 TBs in the cache at all times?

would you follow the RULES or just take any/all that you wanted?

just wondering what others takes are

It is amazing how many geocachers have no idea of the rules or ettiquette of the game. If they would only peruse these forums once in a while, they would be better informed. I think the people who review cache listings should be rejecting caches with outlandish rules like those described.

i agree, i think that the reviewer of all people should know the rules of travel bugs and not allow these people to misinform new geocachers, by not allowing these descriptions to go through, it would aid in informing many more geocachers that travel bugs should TRAVEL!

Well, to be fair to the reviewers, cache owners sometimes change the cache page after it is approved, but I think that action should be taken if one of these caches is reported after some crazy requirements are posted.

Hold on now, don't blame the reviewers. There are no regulations against TB trading requirements before or after it's listed.

And there are no requirements to follow the cache trade rule, you just might end up with your found it deleted.

No regulations? So I could place a cache and say, "Please only take a TB if you leave $10 cash." And that would be allowed and approved? There must a line somewhere.

Yes, cache owners are allowed to delete logs for any reason, which is another policy that I strongly disagree with, but if nobody else cares... :D

Hold on now, don't blame the reviewers. There are no regulations against TB trading requirements before or after it's listed.

And there are no requirements to follow the cache trade rule, you just might end up with your found it deleted.

AFAIK the only requirement for traditional caches is officially stated to be the name in the logbook. So, the owner of the cache does not have any privilege to remove your 'found it' log if you happen to move all travellers from that particular cache to elsewhere. Mystery caches can have some additional rules besides the name in logbook, but still it's at least very impolite to have any rules in the cache that are against the primary goal for the travellers, which is to move.

AFAIK the only requirement for traditional caches is officially stated to be the name in the logbook. So, the owner of the cache does not have any privilege to remove your 'found it' log if you happen to move all travellers from that particular cache to elsewhere. Mystery caches can have some additional rules besides the name in logbook, but still it's at least very impolite to have any rules in the cache that are against the primary goal for the travellers, which is to move.

If anyone here thinks I support the idea of a travel bug prison they obviously haven't read very many of my postings on the issue. And I probably give my opinion on the issue nearly once a week.

Additionally, telling me how all other cachers should or shouldn't handle their cache listings really doesn't do much about it as I'm not in charge of the listing. If you want to talk about it I'll be happy to provide sympathy and maybe even a suggestion or two, but don't blame me for the fact cachers can delete your log for any reason they wish.

For more information here is a posting concerning the issue from a reviewer.

(from the thread log deleted cause i didnt leave a tb and took tbs)

GREAT idea i think i will make it a habit to visit this PRISON every so often and set bug and coins free THANX for the idea.

are not caches with restrictions supposed to have a question mark on them??

You show great wisdom by writing off the smiley and considering other options. You are, of course, welcome to re-visit this cache to remove trackables where you can aid them in reaching their goals. You may also be in a position to log a "needs archived" on the cache, depending on the date when it was hidden. If the travel bug prison was hidden after February 21, 2007, it does not qualify as a traditional cache because the owner is enforcing a mandatory additional logging requirement by deleting non-compliant logs. If hidden prior to that date, however, the cache is grandfathered.

So, I would have to say that trade restrictions are allowed, the owner can delete your smiley, and you can continue to remove as many bugs as you want.

Don't like it? Take it up with gc.com cuz you're talking to the wrong person.

Edited by BlueDeuce

And:

Groundspeak has not chosen to ask the reviewers to follow any rules on TB prisons beyond the Additional Logging Requirement guideline. If one were submitted to me, I would ask the owner if they intended to enforce the "leave a bug to take a bug" requirement by deleting "found it" logs. Most say they didn't intend this, and clarify the wording to make it a "recommendation." Those who say they will delete logs must change their cache type to "mystery/unknown."

Generally reviewers are concerned with reviewing caches -- their locations, etc. -- and not in policing the trading activity.

I do not enforce rules or guidelines beyond the ones which Groundspeak asks me to follow.

So, to correct a previous statement of mine, if someone did change the wording after the cache was posted they might be outside of guidelines in regards to the cache type.

Edited by BlueDeuce