Unsafe caches equals lost geocoins and TBs

SidAndBob

After checking up to see where my trackables are I was sad to see a geocoin was placed in a muggled cache and has disappeared. What annoyed me was the fact that the owner hadn't bothered to contact me and just commented "The cache seems to have been muggled again". Please show some common sense. If a cache is known to be at risk either do something about it (move it or archive it) or at least state clearly not to leave trackables in the cache.

I guess I can print it out and laminate it, but it just isn't the same is it?

We have said, more than once, that we would't leave McD's tat in some caches they are so muggleable (is that a word?) and always shift geocoins and TB out, even though we rarely bother with TB any more.

As you say, common sense, but it seems in short supply sometimes............

H

I was worried yesterday when one of mine hadn't been found, it contains a coin that I put there belonging to somebody else and I felt awful. Luckily the cache was safe and sound when I checked it today, just very well hidden.

I was wondering last night that if it was missing and if I could get a replacement coin the same, would it be possible to have it activated and linked to the original?

I totally agree with SidAndBob, in fact, I was going to post a note on this very topic. Some caches I've been to recenty were in full view of any passing muggles. I think some people, having discovered the cache and signed the log forget to "hide them better than they were found". I try and put my caches in places were people very rarely go, so ensuring a longer life, even if they are not hidden again properly. It's not difficult!

I visited a cache today with the idea of leaving some TB's... Did a TNLN as I thought the cache too vunerable..

We always consider this when leaving TB's and especially coins, if we feel that the cache is too muggable then we don't leave trackables.....just common sense really.........doesn't seem to be much of it about at the moment, even in the non geocaching world. :unsure:

I visited a cache today with the idea of leaving some TB's... Did a TNLN as I thought the cache too vunerable..

We always consider this when leaving TB's and especially coins, if we feel that the cache is too muggable then we don't leave trackables.....just common sense really.........doesn't seem to be much of it about at the moment, even in the non geocaching world. :unsure:

Not quite sure how you'd classify certain caches as more vulnerable than others - a lot of it is entirely random, and some caches seem to live a charmed life. The Wimbledon Park cache, for example, has been not-tremendously-thoroughly hidden for years, and has survived all that time. One of my own caches is in a pretty busy place, and has never been muggled (although it did mysteriously move once).

Any cache is safe until it's muggled, and it can happen to any of them, wherever they are.

Lee

We've visited at least two caches which have been hidden in 'fly-tipped' tyres. At first thought this would seem precarious locations as they could be cleared away at any time so didn't leave any trackables

How naive of us eh? One pile of tyres was covered in moss and had obviously been there for years and I doubt many muggles go rummaging through old tyres... :unsure:

Not quite sure how you'd classify certain caches as more vulnerable than others...

My original point was that the cache had already been muggled multiple times. The owner knows the cache is very vunerable yet does nothing about it.

Perhaps you could ask one of the reviewers to shut the cache down?

My original point was that the cache had already been muggled multiple times. The owner knows the cache is very vunerable yet does nothing about it.

And whoever dropped your coin into the cache would also be aware of this if they'd looked at the cache page. It's not fair to heap all the blame onto the cache owner......... but presumably you've now visited the cache page and added a "needs maintenance" log to make the owner aware?

Perhaps you could ask one of the reviewers to shut the cache down?

I empathise with the statement but that means the quality / lcoation of a cache is being policed. If the owner maintains the cache and replaces containers etc who are we to question the 'stability' of the locality? We all want different things from caches and if we start saying the locations are bad then to be fair we'd have to start looking at all the different caches out there and their locations.

Everyone single one of us has been to cache and we've thought, as we've stood there looking at the litter strewn in the ivy next to the rusted shopping trollies and abandoned bicycles, "Why am I here looking for a little box?" I don't think we should start questioning other people's reasoning for cache locations or their susceptabiluity to muggles.

After checking up to see where my trackables are I was sad to see a geocoin was placed in a muggled cache and has disappeared. What annoyed me was the fact that the owner hadn't bothered to contact me and just commented "The cache seems to have been muggled again". Please show some common sense. If a cache is known to be at risk either do something about it (move it or archive it) or at least state clearly not to leave trackables in the cache.

I guess I can print it out and laminate it, but it just isn't the same is it?

I found something similar at the weekend when checking up on my coins. The cache had been muggled and subsequently disabled last October, but the cache owner hadn't seen fit to advise me that my coin had gone missing. I've now moved it to the Travel Bug Graveyard (GCD653), where it can stay with the other two of my coins that have gone missing in the last year. In 16 months I've put out 8 coins, and 3 have dissappeared from muggled caches. Interestingly, the two travel bugs I put out in the summer of 2006 are still in circulation.

<snip>I found something similar at the weekend when checking up on my coins. The cache had been muggled and subsequently disabled last October, but the cache owner hadn't seen fit to advise me that my coin had gone missing. <snip>

I really don't think it's the responsibility of the cache owner to keep you informed about your TB. It's your property and it's up to you to keep an eye on it.

As far as my caches go, I don't take any notice if what's in them bug-wise, but I will move them on if they're there too long - or if they come up on Jaz666's rescue list.