Do you have a personal geocaching 'ethic' or guidelines?

Annie & PB

I'm sure this topic has been discussed before, but no doubt people's views and perspectives change and there are newer cachers about.

What are things that you or you team will or won't do when finding - or hiding - a cache?

Where won't you put or look for a cache?

Will you or won't you risk personal injury?

Do you hide micros or nanos - or not!?

Do you always CITO or maintain a cache or cache area or is that the owner's responsibility?

Is it neccessary to write in the log or not??

Is it neccessary to log at geocaching.com? Or do you play at another site as well or instead?

How much 'damage' to the flora in an area do you consider OK?

Will you attach a cache to a structure??

Have you ever or do you have a WRITTEN ethic for yourself ???

These are just a small selection of possible issues that someone might have formed an opinion on. So how do YOU play the game!???

(Note - this is an open thread, there are not right or wrong answers as I have specifically asked about YOU and your opinions- not to put down anyone else - thanks.)

Annie

I won’t cross a no trespassing sign.

I won’t lie to muggles who cache me caching.

If I’m not having fun I move on to the next cache and don’t blame the cache owner for not having fun cache.

I pick up litter here and there while caching.

I won’t tear up the area to find the cache.

I won’t second guess the cache owner.

If the land owner comes out and talks to me about their concerns I will deal with them on the spot the best I can and follow up directly so they know the issue has been resolved.

I won’t put myself in a bad situation for the sake of a cache.

I will hide the largest container the area can support…most times.

Ok damage is the same as what would be caused by walking or hiking through the area.

When I hide a cache I factor in the LCD of who’s going to be finding.

I won't go past a no tresspassing sign.

I respect private property and take the word of folks I run across near caches.

When I hide caches - I make sure they have some legal and safe form of parking that is logical to start the hunt.

I won't move around rocks, carve up the vegitation for hides or finds.

I won't look for a cache among the trash type of hide.

I walk away when I find it is no fun anymore. I don't "Have to" find them all.

If I risk injury - I work to minimize the risk to acceptable levels. I am careful.

I have hidden a few micros but tend to avoid doing that. No such thing as a nano.

I CITO when I have time - always do my best to care for other cachers hides.

I always find a way to make my mark in the log somehow.

I work at finding a spot for larger containers in any given location.

Damaged caused to plants by moving around is of no concern except in "manicured" areas.

I like to share my stories in the online logs.

I always log my DNFs.

Time spent with my family is more immportant than time for caching.

I admit to this evolving a bit over time.

won’t cross a no trespassing sign.

I won’t lie to muggles who cache me caching.

If I’m not having fun I move on to the next cache and don’t blame the cache owner for not having fun cache.

I pick up litter here and there while caching.

I won’t tear up the area to find the cache.

I will hide the largest container the area can support…most times.

When I hide a cache I follow the guidlines for doing so. I Also maintian them when needed. From what I have seen, their are geocaches that do not know there are guidlines for hidding a cache. From time to time, I have loged a SBA on caches that have lots of DNFs with no response from the owner of the cache.

Edit to add;

When out with a group I make sure the person that found the cache is the one that replaces the cache.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

We won't go anywhere we feel uncomfortable, or that appears to us to not have permission and is private property. For hiding, we won't put a cache in a place without a good purpose. To us that means that the area is either pretty, a good place to hike, offers something to learn or special to see, is a good place to stop to rest along a series, offers a perfect spot for a clever container, or a combination of those reasons. We will not just place a cache because we can.

My statement above somewhat addresses where we won't put a cache, but we won't look for one in trash, on private property, or in an area that is so busy that we feel uncomfortable. Some busy urban areas are ok, but others can make us look like we're doing something wrong....those we just stop doing or won't start to begin with.

There is definately some level of risk that we are willing to take with ourselves, our car, and even our children (but not as much with them). We like to 4 wheel, so that's the risk with our vehicle. Depending on the situation, one of us may stay back with our kids while the other caches. However, we have no problem helping our kids to scramble over rocky cliffs (if we feel it's safe to and they're not too steep....we have a few really nice hiking trails with these around our area) and to hoist them up with ropes too (again if we feel it's safe....and of course the ropes would used so the kids won't be hurt and are comfortable....again some really cool hiking trails that have areas that our kids just can't climb with their leg length). I think our instincts guide us pretty well.

We have hidden every type and size of cache there is. We spent alot of time figuring out our series and placing them in spaces that we feel are fun and have a good reason for the cache. Some of our containers are traditional ones that many use, and some are fun or somewhat unique for the area. We think that there are types of caches out there for all types of people and the variety is what makes this a great sport/game.

We will ALWAYS CITO our own cache space prior to placing it (with the exception of one area leading up to one of our caches that was too littered. It will be our first event cache this Spring when the snow melts). We also try to be as quick as we can fixing our own caches (unfortunately, the weather can sometimes prevent the timeliness). We CITO other spots when we have the spare time to do so and always try to help others out with their caches when we have the supplies along with us. If we don't, we make sure to notify the owner so that they can get to it at soon as possible.

We always record in the log, but it's a personal choice thing. As cache owners, we enjoy reading when people visit ours and feel other owners probably feel the same way.

We don't participate in other sites, yet.

We believe that the least amount of impact on nature, the better. But, walking within unprotected areas is just fine, to us. We will turn over rocks and look in bushes, but we put the rocks back and don't hack things up. We don't feel that we create much of an impact when we hike.

We have no problem attaching a cache to a structure if we have obtained permission from the owner of that structure. Otherwise, no we will not permanently attach anything.

We don't have anything written other than similar responses that we've made on the forum.

Edited by elmuyloco5

I try to avoid searching when there is snow on the ground, as it could be the worst type of spoiler or open the cache to muggle theft or vandalism.

I wont break saplings or branches to find or hide a cache, I might use a loose (very) or previously disturbed rock, but not dig one out of ground to make/add to a hide.

But basically agree with most if not all of the above comments.

The area(s) I am planning to hide, I have the guideline that I should be able to get to it with my horse, either mounted or dismounted, so I shouldnt have to destroy and veggitation, and they wont be leg breakers either.

CITO when possible (or at least move it so it is not a hazzard)

We never hunt for more than 7 minutes.

I know that sounds unrealistic, but in reality we only look for a minute or two before bailing out, and moving on to a "better" cache hide.

Better cache hide? B) 7 Minutes....

I don't get that. Don't you mean easier? Or are you talking about coordinate accuracy? Given that folks with a high number of finds usually have a pretty good sense of where to look for a cache...... B)

A find is a find only if we make our mark in the log book.

We are a team - both must be actively involved in all cache hunts.

We will care for others' caches - and cache locations - as if they were our own (up to and including maintenance such as replacing a cache container that is broken).

We cache alone (together!) - if we take you caching with us we must really love you.

We cache paperless so as few trees as possible are harmed in the making of our fun

We have not and will not place caches that need any environmental damage to be caused to hide or find them. ( From experience, that sadly doesn't mean that others won't trash our cache site anyway. :unsure::unsure:<_<:( )

We hide caches we like to find. There will be some 'gain' for the target type of cacher that we are aiming the cache for.

We do not permanently attach caches to any structure, object, flora - we may use a magnet, but that's it!

We will delete logs (including finds) on our caches that may lead to a decrease in the enjoyment of our caches by other cachers. (e.g. revealing of hints)

We will ask for clues/advice/co-ordinate confirmation and give clues/advice/co-ordinate confirmation, if we need to - with the aim in mind of to save on unneccesary driving and fuel use (Geocaching is already not the world's most environmentally friendly hobby - so we try to do it in the most environmentally friendly way we know how.)

I'm sure this topic has been discussed before, but no doubt people's views and perspectives change and there are newer cachers about.

I absolutely agree. The way the OP is worded will set the tone and interest in the thread. It's good to start up old topics in a different way. And you're right.... Things change over time.

Here's one along these lines from 2005 to 2007.... :unsure:

What are things that you or you team will or won't do when finding - or hiding - a cache?

Hiding: I'll tryyyy to obey the guidelines as best I can when hiding a gc.com cache. I follow the common sense guideline for my hides on other sites.

Finding: I'll hunt anything, but I stop hunting when I fail to have fun.

I hide caches that please my aesthetic and I hunt caches that meet my aesthetic needs of the moment.

Not a huge risk taker, yet I own several caches in 4 & 5 star terrain.... Go figure. What's risky to one isn't to another....

Sure. A cache is a cache is a cache. It's all hide and seek. Some folks just lose sight of that fact...

Do you always CITO or maintain a cache or cache area or is that the owner's responsibility?

Sometimes, yes, maybe...

Just my sig unless the cache location inspires me to right more.

Is it neccessary to log at geocaching.com?

Yes, the caches that are hiddin on gc.com... Ummm, when I get around to it....

Or do you play at another site as well or instead?

I'm a cacher. I hide and hunt caches. My loyalties don't belong to any ONE cache listing site. That said, I spend most of my time here.

That's a pretty loaded question don't cha think? <_< I think there are a lot of bleeding hearts who don't understand the difference between a bent blade of grass and true impact. :unsure:

Haven't yet. I put a cache in something that was already attached to a structure. It's still there.

Sort of.....

Edited by Snoogans

DO:

Learn something along the way.

Spend a day with a caching buddy!

Visit places you've never been.

Take in the sights, the sounds and the smells (good bad or otherwise).

DON'T:

Trespass

Damage public or private property

Cause any undo scares or nervousness to the muggles.

Cause any extra work for Law Enforcement.

I've only hidden 1! But I'll never hide one where I wouldn't want to search for one myself. Caches I enjoy the least would involve sifting through garbage somewhere. When I get to a site and it looks like an illegal dump... I pass it up.

Not big on the idea of injury... but accidents do happen. Normally I try my best to stay out of those situations.

Yes! Micros and nano's can be done well. My only hide is a micro, and I've found plenty that I've enjoyed.

Yes, I've picked up trash while geocaching.

Signing the log... one of the pillars of geocaching. And if it's a larger book, and there's space... leave a note, not just a sig.

Is it neccessary to log at geocaching.com? Or do you play at another site as well or instead? Geocaching.com is my geocaching home!

I always try to be aware of where I'm treading and keep my impact to a minimum.

Attach? With hardware? Never. Magnets... it's a possibility.

Nope.

Won't cross a no tresspassing sign or go near private property at night

I'll look for anything. It seems that I'll spend as much time looking as they spent hiding.

I would risk personal injury just because i love the thrill and such. This includes rock climbing for caches, tree climbing, or even barrelling through those stinging nettle in river bottoms.

I like to hid easy micros for my puzzle caches because the point of those caches are the puzzle. I you get that far, I'd like people to get the find.

My one weakness as a cacher is I am not a prepared for CITO and maintenence as I should be. It's one thing that I mean to work on but never actually do.

I know the guidlines are to sign the log, put like in Pirates of the carribean, they are only giudelines. It all depends on the purpose of the cache to me. I will only claim a find if Im holding the container in my hand. If i forget a pen, Ill still take the find. I dont care how others want to count my numbers, but I know that I was there and found it and if someone else wants to tell me the experience I had wasnt good enough, that is okay, but it is a game and people should lighten up or stop caching.

I always log on GC.com

I try to minimize my effect on plants. If a cache is up in a tree, ill look for a stick before climbing. Ill try and use designated trails to get as close as possible. I try not to disturb animals either.

I avoid parmanently attaching caches to permanent structures. Even if it was ok, there are many better places to put them.

One thing that isnt asked but ill say anyways is about permission. The first time I hid a cache, I emailed the city park guy and asked him about it. He said in the city, any park is ok as long as i do my best to ensure that i limit environmental damage and such. Thus, I take care and hide caches in the city parks. I wanted to put a cache at the HHH Metrodome once and asked permission to do so. I probably set myself up for a "no," but I didnt feel right placing one on business property, especially with tight security at stadiums.

So yeah, thats what I go by. Being an Eagle Scout, I have grown up to be conservation minded and understnad that I am a visitor in the great outdoors.

The only rule I can think of that I apply to myself I lifted from Lep, and it's not about hamsters, as that wouldn't be my sig item.*

Rule - no new hides unless all current hides are in good order, no maintenance issues.

Following this rule has kept me to the 120 or so hides I have instead of the 400 I might have placed by now.

*My signature item is a camo cloth nylon bag, often misused to hang a matchsafe on a tree and masquerade as geocache. I personally don't use them that way (okay 2 hides), but others do.

7 minute rule I don't follow that rule, but I'd guess that I find 95% of caches within 7 minutes of arriving at GZ. And I'd also guess that I get into the NHF zone PDQ after 7 minutes has passed, sooner if I'm not liking the area (urban shopping district).

Edited by Isonzo Karst

I follow the guidelines and laws. No cache is worth not following those.

I only search for caches I think I will like. I wasn't always like this.

I don't cache to just increase some number.

I cache to have a relaxing enjoyable experience/adventure.

I prefer regular containers but smaller containers don't bother me.

I will help local cachers if their cache needs help and they ask for help.

I will CITO sometimes.

I won't mess up myself/clothes up to look for a cache. I used to.

I always try to leave no trace.

I prefer caching with others.

I typically just sign my name in the log.

I write longer online logs for the caches that I enjoyed more.