Kitsap County Thomas Guide or Roadrunner Challenge

W7WT

First off, -Hawk- , I Really appreciate what you are doing for the rest of us. I know your work takes you away from this area quite often. I am Not posting my questions to miff you- honestly (I am just a curious, naive and basically a beginner in this field)

Here's one of those questions that only I seem to ask ; should I be Not finding any more caches in Kitsap county since I don't know when the "cut off" date is. I know we Do have a lot of caches in this county. But, I wouldn't want to cache an area out and then not be able to count them. Also, Is Burley in Kitsap But not Purdy? No, I don't have a map book yet (sorry).

Thank you ,

Fairyhoney

First off, -Hawk- , I Really appreciate what you are doing for the rest of us. I know your work takes you away from this area quite often. I am Not posting my questions to miff you- honestly (I am just a curious, naive and basically a beginner in this field)

Here's one of those questions that only I seem to ask ; should I be Not finding any more caches in Kitsap county since I don't know when the "cut off" date is. I know we Do have a lot of caches in this county. But, I wouldn't want to cache an area out and then not be able to count them. Also, Is Burley in Kitsap But not Purdy? No, I don't have a map book yet (sorry).

Thank you ,

Fairyhoney

I will answer for Hawk. There is no cutoff date, caches you find now will count. You are correct Burley is in Kitsap County but not Purdy. If you plan on getting your map at Costco for $9.99 I would do so. Once the cache is posted, they will go like hotcakes. If you get it elsewhere be sure you get the Kitsap County Thomas Guide 1st edition. I would assume Costco would restock them but you never know. Dick

Thank you ,

Fairyhoney

I will answer for Hawk. There is no cutoff date, caches you find now will count. You are correct Burley is in Kitsap County but not Purdy. If you plan on getting your map at Costco for $9.99 I would do so. Once the cache is posted, they will go like hotcakes. If you get it elsewhere be sure you get the Kitsap County Thomas Guide 1st edition. I would assume Costco would restock them but you never know. Dick

Dick,

Maybe I missed something (wouldn't be the first time), but if there is no cut off/start date, then most everyone in the county will be well along the way to done the second it gets published.

[edit--can't spell]

Edited by Shop99er

Thank you ,

Fairyhoney

Dick,

Maybe I missed something (wouldn't be the first time), but if there is no cut off/start date, then most everyone in the county will be well along the way to done the second it gets published.

[edit--can't spell]

That is my understanding. Maybe I missed something (wouldn't be the first time). AFAIK

the answer is yes, Not everyone is a power cacher like you. In my book if you found them, you were there. We are trying to keep it simple. Hawk has the final say. Dick

Hi Dick and -Hawk-,

Since I am new to this whole challenge idea, I would like to see if I am understanding things properly...

1) We can be working on this challenge now, albeit informally, right?

2) We can choose which cache we want to find to clear a particular map number, right? Dick's great bookmark list is just a suggested list (which solves the boat issue), right?

3) The map number corresponds to both the right and left hand page and any Groundspeak cache on those pages is fair game to clear the map number, unless it is an event cache, right?

4) No time limit as yet, right?

5) We're using the Thomas Bros. Guide 1st Edition Kitsap County Street Guide, right? Sure hope so, since I bought my copy today...

So if I'm wrong on any of the above points, please help me out and show me the way :rolleyes:

And then if someone can explain the Level 1, 2 and 3 stuff to me, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Molly (slowestmover)

Hi Dick and -Hawk-,

Since I am new to this whole challenge idea, I would like to see if I am understanding things properly...

1) We can be working on this challenge now, albeit informally, right?

2) We can choose which cache we want to find to clear a particular map number, right? Dick's great bookmark list is just a suggested list (which solves the boat issue), right?

3) The map number corresponds to both the right and left hand page and any Groundspeak cache on those pages is fair game to clear the map number, unless it is an event cache, right?

4) No time limit as yet, right?

5) We're using the Thomas Bros. Guide 1st Edition Kitsap County Street Guide, right? Sure hope so, since I bought my copy today...

So if I'm wrong on any of the above points, please help me out and show me the way :rolleyes:

And then if someone can explain the Level 1, 2 and 3 stuff to me, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Molly (slowestmover)

Hi Molly, I will answer some questions and let Hawk answer the tough ones. It is his cache.

1. Hawk will answer.

2.The book list is sort of an example and test item at this point. You are correct you can use both sides of the map as long as they are in Kitsp County and any cache on that map will count except an event cache.

3. Guess I answered in no. 2

4. Hawk will answer

5. You have the correct Thomas Guide

Different level finds has been abandoned. Just a wild idea I had at first. We are trying to keep it simple so anyone can complete the challenge. I am only the Chief Warrant Officer here and final say will be by the Admiral.

Thank you! No problem with the questions...ask away!

Dick,

After deliberating on this, Dick and I have agreed that a find is a find, no matter when it was found. The point of this challenge is simplicity for everyone....Dick, I, and most importantly, the participants of the challenge. I know several cachers, that overtime have found ALOT of the caches in the county, myself included, and yes, they will be able to complete the challenge right away, but they will always have the choice to start it from scratch, meaning using only finds after the challenge is published, to give themselves a bit of a "challenge". I really hate to discount finds by someone who has been there done that before.This is still an area that I am thinking about though, so it may not be in stone

Hi Molly, I will answer some questions and let Hawk answer the tough ones. It is his cache.

1. Hawk will answer.

2.The book list is sort of an example and test item at this point. You are correct you can use both sides of the map as long as they are in Kitsp County and any cache on that map will count except an event cache.

3. Guess I answered in no. 2

4. Hawk will answer

5. You have the correct Thomas Guide

Different level finds has been abandoned. Just a wild idea I had at first. We are trying to keep it simple so anyone can complete the challenge. I am only the Chief Warrant Officer here and final say will be by the Admiral.

Hi Molly, hope I can answer the ones that the CWO, didn't.

1. In theory, yes. But that wouldn't be too much fun would it? Keep in mind, that we are still in the process, and rules/regulations are subject to change before the actual publication of the challenge. Don't go and cache out all the maps, just in case....I may decide it is best to put a date restriction on this challenge...not sure yet. Gotta weight the options, and still keep this challenge as easy as possible.

4. I assume (I hate doing that!), that by "Time Limit', you are speaking of, finishing the challenge?

If that is the case, the answer is no. You are free to take your time to complete it. Nobody is in a hurry

here. No need to rush.

We had planned on having the participants send us or make public a bookmark when they have completed the maps. We also wanted to keep it simple and not require the participants to be either members or have GSAK. Our question can non-Premium Members send us a bookmark of their completion of finding a cache in each of the Thomas Guide maps of Kitsap County? From the Manage Bookmarks it says members can view

bookmarks. We would hate to leave anyone out just because they are not Premium Members? thanks Dick

We had planned on having the participants send us or make public a bookmark when they have completed the maps. We also wanted to keep it simple and not require the participants to be either members or have GSAK. Our question can non-Premium Members send us a bookmark of their completion of finding a cache in each of the Thomas Guide maps of Kitsap County? From the Manage Bookmarks it says members can view

bookmarks. We would hate to leave anyone out just because they are not Premium Members? thanks Dick

As W7WT mentioned, we are trying to work this challenge in a way that is as easy to do as possible for everyone, and one of the important things that we wanted, was to have all members, paid or not, to be able to participate. Unfortunately that does not appear to be the case. In order to complete this challenge, a public Bookmark List is required, and we can't veer from that, so anyone that is not a paid "premium" member will not be able to do so. If you would like to participate in this upcoming challenge, and you are not a paid premium member, you can go to here to change that, and participate. As said by both W7WT and I, this is not what we were wanting, but this is the way it is. I apologize and hope that this doesn't hold too many people back from this challenge.

If you would like to participate in this upcoming challenge, and you are not a paid premium member, you can go to here to change that, and participate.

To date, I have had very little, if none what-so-ever, use for the benefits gained from being a "Premium Members". I use an old fashon GPS(must be 10 years old), don't own a PDA and I still print my caches on paper the old fashon way. Heaven forbid that I tell you I use Windows 98 and a FREE "Dialup" internet connection.

I don't know a "Bookmark List" from a box of apples, but I do know this: If I am required to "buy" a GC "Premium Membership" in order to do this challenge, then you can COUNT ME OUT!!!

FINI/NNNN/30

/\/( :D )\/\

Well, the part about having to be able to create a public shared bookmark is going to leave me out too, but not for the same reason as Fledermaus.

I am a premium member and over the months I have created about 21 private bookmark lists. But for the last 6 weeks or so, I have not been able to create any kind of a new bookmark list. I can add cache listings to the ones I already have but cannot create a new one. Not sure if I can rename one of them and change it into a public list plus I really don't want to do that anway; the lists serve very definite purposes for me. I sent Groundspeak a trouble report on January 8th, received a ticket number but never heard anything else from them. Frankly, I don't have the energy to get into any kind of a tussle with Groundspeak and I am lacking in computer savvy so I can't fix it myself. Of course I am fully willing to admit the possibility that this is a case of operator error (with me being the operator) but I had no problems creating the other bookmark lists so I can't think of what I am doing differently now to cause this problem. When I go through the motions of creating a new list and hit the SUBMIT button, I immediately get a screen that says "We have encountered a problem with that page". Sigh. Nice picture of Signal the Frog though...

Very frustrating and if any of you super experienced folks can steer me in the right direction, I would appreciate it. Have thought about buying a premium membership for Mack-Daddy and then trying to create bookmarks under his membership...we used to call that a "workaround" in the Navy.

Well, the part about having to be able to create a public shared bookmark is going to leave me out too, but not for the same reason as Fledermaus.

I am a premium member and over the months I have created about 21 private bookmark lists. But for the last 6 weeks or so, I have not been able to create any kind of a new bookmark list. I can add cache listings to the ones I already have but cannot create a new one. Not sure if I can rename one of them and change it into a public list plus I really don't want to do that anway; the lists serve very definite purposes for me. I sent Groundspeak a trouble report on January 8th, received a ticket number but never heard anything else from them. Frankly, I don't have the energy to get into any kind of a tussle with Groundspeak and I am lacking in computer savvy so I can't fix it myself. Of course I am fully willing to admit the possibility that this is a case of operator error (with me being the operator) but I had no problems creating the other bookmark lists so I can't think of what I am doing differently now to cause this problem. When I go through the motions of creating a new list and hit the SUBMIT button, I immediately get a screen that says "We have encountered a problem with that page". Sigh. Nice picture of Signal the Frog though...

Very frustrating and if any of you super experienced folks can steer me in the right direction, I would appreciate it. Have thought about buying a premium membership for Mack-Daddy and then trying to create bookmarks under his membership...we used to call that a "workaround" in the Navy.

First off, have you contacted Groundspeak about this? There won't be a "tussle." They do try to help. And if there is a glitch somewhere, we need to tell them.

The website has been getting modified right and left for the last few weeks. That may have been hosing things up, too.

I just took a look, and it would let me create a new one.

First off, have you contacted Groundspeak about this? There won't be a "tussle." They do try to help. And if there is a glitch somewhere, we need to tell them.

The website has been getting modified right and left for the last few weeks. That may have been hosing things up, too.

I contacted them through the web site on January 8th and received an e-mail back saying that my ticket had been submitted successfully..."one of our support technicians will get back to you with more information shortly." Well, I'm still waiting for Groundspeak to get back to me. I haven't looked at their troubleshooting page for awhile; I would rather call them on the phone that fire off another trouble report and have that one ignored too. Been too busy with other stuff (e.g., life) to spend much time on this. But thanks for taking the time to answer...it's more than I have gotten out of Groundspeak!

I don't know a "Bookmark List" from a box of apples, but I do know this: If I am required to "buy" a GC "Premium Membership" in order to do this challenge, then you can COUNT ME OUT!!!

FINI/NNNN/30

/\/( :bad: )\/\

Well....not sure what to tell ya Ray. I guess you can't do em all.

I thought I was polite, and tried to explain things in a descent manner, including the regret that Dick and I have, that this is the way it is, and not the way we wanted it to begin with. $30 for a year or $3 for a month membership to complete this challenge, is a mere fraction of the cost it would be for all the fuel to motor around the county that you planned on spending to complete the challenge to begin with. Sorry that you feel so upset about it, and sorry you won't be able to participate.

I myself, would feel compelled to do a follow up with Groundspeak. I am not sure about your problem either, I have been able to make Bookmark Lists as well, as recently as 15 minutes ago. I really hope that you can get this resolved, so you can participate in the challenge. The good thing is, The KCC will be here. Definitely try to get a hold of Groundspeak to do a follow up.

I contacted them through the web site on January 8th and received an e-mail back saying that my ticket had been submitted successfully..."one of our support technicians will get back to you with more information shortly." Well, I'm still waiting for Groundspeak to get back to me. I haven't looked at their troubleshooting page for awhile; I would rather call them on the phone that fire off another trouble report and have that one ignored too. Been too busy with other stuff (e.g., life) to spend much time on this. But thanks for taking the time to answer...it's more than I have gotten out of Groundspeak!

No problem.

Something you might want to keep in mind about Groundspeak...There are only 30 or so people working there, as far as I know. I realize you're frustrated, but that's not too any people to help every cacher there is. You also would need to allow for the ones that are not involved with troubleshooting.

Give them another try. You're most llikely not the only one with some sort of problem, and they are very few.

Look under "Bookmark Lists" in the Geocaching.com Web Site section of the forums. Seems like they are having a lot of problems with Bookmarks and are working on it. I can't help you as I just started using bookmarks. Maybe they will get it stabilized. Dick

With the high price of gas right now Kitsap County is kind of a long ways away for me to drive to try and complete this challenge so I'm wondering if you could maybe assign by proxy some caches in the South King County area that could qualify for specific pages in your Kitsap County Challenge. I might be able to see my way clear to make it over to actually find the final but I really have no desire to give the State of Washington my money for crossing a bridge or riding a ferry. There are plenty of people already paying those fees so why should I have to pay them too, maybe you could paypal me the money needed to for the bridge toll, if not, I guess I'm out too.

I usderstand and that is why I won't be doing the King or Pierce County Challenges. However, this summer, I will be driving all the way to Alaska, just to get our last state to have cached in. I have a son that lives in Fairbanks and he could find a cache for us, but what fun is that. I also will be traveling to Eastern Washington to finish up the Washington State County Challenge and the Washington Delorme Challenge. dick

Edited by W7WT

Thanks to everyone who has offered suggestions on how to fix my bookmark problem. I sent in another trouble ticket and this time I think someone is working on it. Sure hope so. I understand the small staffer/lots of cacher problems ratio but it was the complete silence on the matter that was kind of bothering me. I am all for full disclosure of problems and I think that if Groundspeak is having any kind of problem(s), they should say so, either right up front on their home page or in their weekly e-mail. Don't make the customer dig for the info and never stonewall the customer, even if the news is not good. Just my thoughts on what I would consider to be "responsive customer service". Please do understand that I am a happy camper/cacher and would recommend Groundspeak's premium membership to anyone and everyone. Overall, I think they do a great job! And I continue to look forward to the Challenge!

Edited by slowestmover

Thanks to everyone who has offered suggestions on how to fix my bookmark problem. I sent in another trouble ticket and this time I think someone is working on it. Sure hope so. I understand the small staffer/lots of cacher problems ratio but it was the complete silence on the matter that was kind of bothering me. I am all for full disclosure of problems and I think that if Groundspeak is having any kind of problem(s), they should say so, either right up front on their home page or in their weekly e-mail. Don't make the customer dig for the info and never stonewall the customer, even if the news is not good. Just my thoughts on what I would consider to be "responsive customer service". Please do understand that I am a happy camper/cacher and would recommend Groundspeak's premium membership to anyone and everyone. Overall, I think they do a great job! And I continue to look forward to the Challenge!

I am glad to hear that you did a follow up, and I look forward to your participation.

Thanks HAWK and W7WT for all the effort putting the challenge together. I like the way it is going to work (or looking like how it is going to work) while maintaining the concept of keeping it simple. Mrs C and I look forward to trying our first challenge and another fun way to cache. (I have our bookmark set up and ready to go.) :blink:

Edited by captsteiny

Thanks HAWK and W7WT for all the effort putting the challenge together. I like the way it is going to work (or looking like how it is going to work) while maintaining the concept of keeping it simple. Mrs C and I look forward to trying our first challenge and another fun way to cache. (I have our bookmark set up and ready to go.) ;)

Thank you. We are putting this together just for cachers like you and Mrs. C. Things are beginning to fall in line. In the meantime you might wish to change the coordinates in your Thomas Guide. Take the upper left page of Map 412 and it indicates 47°56'36" to

47°56.600 which is what we will be using. For those that are rusty in converting, the

47°56 is the same then just take the 36" and divide by 60 which gives .600 add that to the

47°56.600. In other words just take the seconds and divide by 60. Copy down on your map the upper left latitude, the lower left latitude, the upper right latitude, the lower right latitude, the left longitude and the right longitude. Then to check to see if your intended cache for that page is actually on that page. If it falls between the two latitudes and also between the longitudes it is on that page. On some maps there is no need to do all of them. This will keep you busy during those days when the wx is too nasty to geocache. I realize for some of you it is never too nasty to geocache. Dick

Edited by W7WT

What about map 593? Got any caches for that one? I was thinking of maybe putting one in Ft. Ward, would that help? Anything planned for map 500? If you want I could go take a look.

Jim

Thanks Jim, we were hoping someone would come forward for those maps. I remember getting one at the top of the hill and then down at the bottom at Ft. Ward. So go for it as well as map 500. dick

Dick

Edited by W7WT

What about map 593? Got any caches for that one? I was thinking of maybe putting one in Ft. Ward, would that help? Anything planned for map 500? If you want I could go take a look.

Jim

Thanks Jim, we were hoping someone would come forward for those maps. I remember getting one at the top of the hill and then down at the bottom at Ft. Ward. So go for it as well as map 500. dick

Dick

Just to avoid confusion later, Map 500 is the only map that does not have an active cache already on it. This is planned to be addressed on the KCC listing. Map 593 has GCB0DD Blake Island Summit in it.

Jim

Dick

Just to avoid confusion later, Map 500 is the only map that does not have an active cache already on it. This is planned to be addressed on the KCC listing. Map 593 has GCB0DD Blake Island Summit in it.

ah, the "won't be doing that one" cache, of course. I was suggesting putting one that is a bit more accessible to the majority of cachers. Apparently that is not desired.

Jim

I can clear this up for you. The bookmark lists are limited to 20 lists per person (and one extra for your ignore list, making that 21 bookmarks). It's not advertised on the website, but something that has been generally known for a while for people who spend more time in the main forums.

If you reach the limit and then try to create another bookmark list, you get the error that you're describing.

There was a recent thread about it, where OpinoNate made it seem that they may work on making the limit higher, which would be great! Here's the recent thread about the bookmark limit.

I can clear this up for you. The bookmark lists are limited to 20 lists per person (and one extra for your ignore list, making that 21 bookmarks). It's not advertised on the website, but something that has been generally known for a while for people who spend more time in the main forums.

If you reach the limit and then try to create another bookmark list, you get the error that you're describing.

There was a recent thread about it, where OpinoNate made it seem that they may work on making the limit higher, which would be great! Here's the recent thread about the bookmark limit.

Amber to the rescue!! :anibad: That helps me out too. Nice bit of info to have. Thanks

Thank you; I wish they would advertise this. I would have set my lists up more carefully. But thanks again and I will check out the thread.

That was my first thought on reading about the problem, because I knew there was a limit, but couldn't remember what it was, and 20 seemed low. :anibad: Thanks for confirming and good to hear they may be working on higher limits.

Doesn't really matter if it is locked or not. I didn't even know that Gig Harbor had a Costco. I thought they were fighting against it. Too bad they didn't have the Thomas Guide series. We will probably make a Costco run to Silverdale sometime this week. I will check to see if they still have them. If not, I will talk to customer service. Sometimes they have them in the back room. I was able to pick up the Delorme Washington State Atlas. It wasn't on the rack but they got one for me from the back storage agea. Dick