"refurbished geocoin"

BVnLJ

The only coin I can think of that matches the term "refurbished" was an older MIGO coin. They had issues with the tracking numbers on some, and had to have them etched off and redone. Those were classified as refurbished because the area where the tracking number was looked pretty rough, and certainly wasn't in mint condition.

You can certainly buy tracking codes in low runs, but I don't know the minimum.

The only coin I can think of that matches the term "refurbished" was an older MIGO coin. They had issues with the tracking numbers on some, and had to have them etched off and redone. Those were classified as refurbished because the area where the tracking number was looked pretty rough, and certainly wasn't in mint condition.

Yep, that's the coin. Was just wondering if we could change any kind of coin we like to trackable.

Yep, that's the coin. Was just wondering if we could change any kind of coin we like to trackable.

Thanks B)

This brings up an ethical question.

What is there to stop someone from getting some cheaper trackable coins and reusing the numbers on a coin they want to make trackable. They could easily use the tracking number from a coin with the generic prefix and no icon so as to not confuse it with another coin.

Team Sand Dollar

What is there to stop someone from getting some cheaper trackable coins and reusing the numbers on a coin they want to make trackable. They could easily use the tracking number from a coin with the generic prefix and no icon so as to not confuse it with another coin.

Team Sand Dollar

Using a cheaper trackable coin's tracking # for another coin doesn't sound any more unethical than using a dog tag's tracking # to make it trackable. Heck even using the tracking # off a muggled coin to put a homemade job in the field sounds like good recycling to me. Maybe I'm missing your point.

Team Sand Dollar

Using a cheaper trackable coin's tracking # for another coin doesn't sound any more unethical than using a dog tag's tracking # to make it trackable. Heck even using the tracking # off a muggled coin to put a homemade job in the field sounds like good recycling to me. Maybe I'm missing your point.

Actually, if one thinks about this, would it not be the same as a proxy B) ? When a coin is STOLEN, and confirmed, What would be so wrong with ths idea?

What is the story of the difference of these two MIGO geocoin?
here is my understanding of what happened -

long ago, when the only trackables were Moun10Bike geocoins, USA geocoins and travel bugs . . .

the folks at MIGO tried very hard to get Groundspeak to make their coins trackable

they were politely but firmly told no

so, they went ahead and made the coins with codes that could be tracked elsewhere

they made a lot (maybe 1,500 or so)

a little time went by

Groundspeak changed their minds about the trackables situation

(mostly due to Jeep wanting little trackable yellow Jeeps)

MIGO still had a bunch of their coins that they had not yet sold

so, they got some codes from Groundspeak, sent the unsold coins back to the factory, and had them grind off the original codes and re-engrave them with the new ones

I don't know what the exact number of coins of each type there are in existance

somebody from MIGO may have that information

Team Sand Dollar

Well, the big difference is that Groundspeak doesn't care about TB dog tag numbers -- that is, you can attach a tag (or its number) to anything. But geocoin tracking codes are different: when you create a geocoin, the design has to be approved by Groundspeak. (Why they care about geocoins more than TBs, I don't know; perhaps it's an icon thing, or has to do with the additional status [?] conferred by the title "Geocoin"). So I can definitely see the Powers that Be having a problem with people adding geocoin tracking codes to any old coin (or thing). It'd be far, far cheaper to use a TB number for that, IMO, in most cases.