TB -To Take or Not to Take?

WestbrooksByTheSea

I've been seeing a lot of travel bugs, but I've only taken one because I was going to be dropping him off a few hundred miles away. The rest, I've left behind because it seemed silly to only move them a few miles, since I'm just caching around town now.

What is the general viewpoint on TB's? Take and drop even a little distance, or save it for people who are on the road and can take 'em on an adventure?

I've been seeing a lot of travel bugs, but I've only taken one because I was going to be dropping him off a few hundred miles away. The rest, I've left behind because it seemed silly to only move them a few miles, since I'm just caching around town now.

What is the general viewpoint on TB's? Take and drop even a little distance, or save it for people who are on the road and can take 'em on an adventure?

Move them if you can. Any distance is fine, but if it is a long distance, it is nice to move them in the direction of their goal, if they have one.

I think you should move the TB. Even if its only .10 mile to the next cache the owner will get an email and know their TB is still in the game and not missing. The only time I wouldn't want to move a bug is if I'm going in the opposite direction than the way the TB wants to travel.

Every little bit helps. I release a bug fully expecting to have it reach its goal in small increments. For some bugs that's the going way they can get anywhere.

It's not silly. You'll enjoy Retrieving the bug and the owner will be happy and getting details of the encounter and knowing his bug is getting closer.

I released a bug in Florida with a goal to reach my home in Iowa. How fun would it be to have it sit for a few months and then make one big leap back to my area? Boring!

Tell stories, take pictures, have fun. B)

Move them! It all helps!

We don't personally often move TBs around in our local area - but that's because there aren't really any caches to move them to that we haven't been unless a new cache pops up.!!!!! We will go and re-visit a cache to retrieve a TB at times, if we have read its log and can help it to achieve its goal when we go on a longer caching trip to a new area. In fact, sometimes before we go on a longer trip, we will do an online check of our local caches specifically to find trackables that might need moving on then go and pick them up.

Annie

I do not pick up Travel bugs anymore, I can two months to find a cache that will hold one. I may just set up a Travel bug hotel so that I have a place to leave them.

My dad did just that. He didn't want to hold onto bugs for too long, so he placed a very popular bug drop right of a busy interstate.

Would You take several or all TB's from a cache to put in your own caches. Iam wondering if im the only one who wants to do it but feels selfish so does it

I try to trade TB for TB, but if I can't I sometimes take them and leave nothing.

So, take what you want!!!!

I think the TB for TB rule is really meant for TB hotels.... i.e. you dont want to empty the darn thing out in one swoop and leave nothing for others.

It its a regular cache - and you happen to see some TBs - move them. Even if you put them in your own caches, its still movement. Another good thing about loading up your new cache: TB's might sit in older caches for a while, because of the lack of visitors. If you put a TB in a brand new cache, it's probably going to move pretty quickly because of new activity.

Sometimes If I'm going to do several caches, I'll move a bug from one to the next without knowing its goal. Most TBs I have found dont have "instructions" in the field. It's hard to know where to take them next.

A bit of a topic drift but I believe UncleJimbo meant that he prefers to only take a Tb when he can leave one, and that's his business.

Hotel may have a trade restriction but no one is obligated to follow it. The point of a travel bug is to move. If you can move to or twenty you are fully allowed to do so.

I have yet to see a trade restriction placed by the bug's owner. knowwhatImean?

I think you should move the TB. Even if its only .10 mile to the next cache the owner will get an email and know their TB is still in the game and not missing. The only time I wouldn't want to move a bug is if I'm going in the opposite direction than the way the TB wants to travel.

I mostly do this. :smile:

Patty556

Would You take several or all TB's from a cache to put in your own caches. Iam wondering if im the only one who wants to do it but feels selfish so does it

TBs are meant to move.

I just grabbed two from my cache to move because they've been there a while. I did leave a couple for other people to find.

Some caches , TB hotels in particular, were set up to trade TBs but the problem is TBs can get stuck there for quite a long while before someone trades another TB for them.

If I find a cache with a lot of TBs I may take one or two and leave the rest for others to find. I may take more or even all if the logs indicate that the TBs have been there for a while.

The owners put their TBs out there so they can enjoy watching it move and also so they can enjoy the interactions of the finders who "hopefully" take the time to write about their find and maybe post pictures of where it is.

If you want to move them all great! I hope you'll take a few moments to write an interesting note when you log them.

A bit of a topic drift but I believe UncleJimbo meant that he prefers to only take a Tb when he can leave one, and that's his business.

Yes, that is what I meant. If I have a TB in my possession, and I find a cache with a TB, I will usually swap them. But if I don't have any TBs, I will still take one or more if I find them. Or if I think the cache seems likely to be muggled, I might take the TBs without leaving any.

Yes, that is what I meant. If I have a TB in my possession, and I find a cache with a TB, I will usually swap them. But if I don't have any TBs, I will still take one or more if I find them. Or if I think the cache seems likely to be muggled, I might take the TBs without leaving any.

Preference unless the situation dictates. Works for me. :smile: