Direct Download to PPC

NevadaWolf

Just a future version request.

Right now, if I go to the Wherigo site and try to download a cartridge straight onto my Pocket PC, all I get is the download box asking if I want to save the 1.87 MB file 'download.aspx'.

Would it be possible to have it be able to send me the GWC file directly?

I can see someone finding themselves with some spare time during the day and wanting instant access to the cartridges so they could play a quick game - all without the need to find a computer and sync the file.

Please??? :unsure:

Just a future version request.

Right now, if I go to the Wherigo site and try to download a cartridge straight onto my Pocket PC, all I get is the download box asking if I want to save the 1.87 MB file 'download.aspx'.

Would it be possible to have it be able to send me the GWC file directly?

I can see someone finding themselves with some spare time during the day and wanting instant access to the cartridges so they could play a quick game - all without the need to find a computer and sync the file.

Please??? :unsure:

I haven't tried doing it directly from the device, but I would assume that you would only need to rename the file to somefilename.gwc to get it to work. Have you tried it? The file size seems right.

I haven't tried doing it directly from the device, but I would assume that you would only need to rename the file to somefilename.gwc to get it to work. Have you tried it? The file size seems right.

Unfortunately, while I have control over the 'somefilename', the extension is untouchable in the save dialogue and not viewable in the File Explorer nor the Search feature. Selecting Rename only allows me to change the file name.

So, I'm stuck with arena.aspx

:unsure:

I haven't tried downloading a cartridge but I found the same thing with the GPX file from a cache page. I use SPB Pocket plus which has the facility to change the file extension. I guess something like Resco Explorer can too. I believe it is a a limitation of PIE as Opera mobile handles the extension properly so no renaming of the extension is required.

Thanks for the info. I did some research the other day and it is true that Microsoft doesn't support changing the file extension in the file explorer. It seems like a weird deficiency in the application. I'm sure the file is fine even if the filename is wrong. There isn't a graceful way programming-wise unless we created a direct link to a web service that allowed you to download it in the Player itself. That is ultimately the plan anyway. The idea is you'll be able to pass the location via a wifi connection and see all the nearby Wherigo carts to download.