Are these good ideas?

mehxxmay

I have a couple of ideas but im not sure if they're that GREAT.

!. Put a heart container on the back of a stop sign and name it "stop in the name of love"

2.Put a container on my trashcan lid-tell people to only come on trashday,or is that to informing of where i live?-of course i would put the trash day

3.Put one behind a bush in a hole>leave a shovel

4.Make a cache with dog treats in it and have people bring their dogs to find it,or could that get a bit pricey?

5.A time capsule,ask people to bring something,put it in the large cache,about a month later or a lot of people have found it bury it and call it the geocachers timecapsule.

6.What about putting one in walmart or something-like on a tredmil and call it a quick run to walmart,with their permission of course.

7.Buy a duck decoy put n a log book,tie a string onto it and put the string on the outskirts of a pond.

Thanks

Edited by mehxxmay

!. Put a heart container on the back of a stop sign and name it "stop in the name of love"

2.Put a container on my trashcan lid-tell people to only come on trashday,or is that to informing of where i live?

4.Make a cache with dog treats in it and have people bring their dogs to find it,or could that get a bit pricey?

Thanks

Since you asked....

1. Not a good idea.

2. Not a good idea.

3. A very BAD idea.

4. Not a good idea.

#1 Corny but there is nothing wrong with it

#2 We do not need any more caches in the world that take people to find garbage

#3 A very bad idea you cannot dig a hole to find or hide a cache

#4 You should not put any kind of food in a cache, human or otherwise

Reg. #4 and 3

You need to read the guidlines on hiding a cache

Not great: Body parts do not generally make good geocache containers, regardless of their cutesy name.

2.Put a container on my trashcan lid-tell people to only come on trashday,or is that to informing of where i live?

Not great: My trash day is Monday, and if your trash day is some other day, I'd never be able to find your cache. Plus, the trash isn't picked up on holidays.

Not great: Buried caches are not allowed. But if you require everyone to leave a shovel, make sure you note that on the cache page, and list the cache as puzzle (since that would make it an ALR).

Not great: You are correct: dogs are very pricey. At least some dogs.

5.A time capsule,ask people to bring something,put it in the large cache,about a month later or a lot of people have found it bury it and call it the geocachers timecapsule.

Not great: Time capsule? Caches that require manipulation of time in any form must be approved in advance by Vinny, and I don't think he likes dogs.

Thanks

Thanks for the giggles. :unsure: They were jokes weren't they? :blink:

Those are really wonderful ideas for geocaches, except of course, for the ones that violate the guidelines. I say go for it with the rest. :unsure::DB)

You normally need only read the guidelines once. Unless of course you don't understand them. In that case you need to read them as many times as it takes. :huh:

Above all else, make sure that you are having a ton of fun. :blink:

Actually I think that it would be ok to dig a hole. Just remember that after you place the container in the hole, do not re-fill the hole so as to cover the container. :o

Instead of edible dog treats, you could just use doggie chew toys. :D

So I think that that just about has you covered. Please do let us know when you have these in place and approved. :D

You might want to check in advance of actually placing these though and get a preliminary review by your local volunteer reviewer. He might have a couple of minor suggestions for you. :D

Edited by Team Cotati

Thanks

Good gosh! Golly gee! I love each of these ideas, and, hey, while we're at it, why not also create a public service prescription drug trade cache. It would work as follows:

People could leave bottles of their unused or expired prescription drugs, and they could then pick and chose from among the prescription drug swag items left by other cachers to get prescription drugs that they cannot afford or that they just wish to try out for a while. Of course, to keep it all fully legal, all the prescription drug bottles would need to bear their original prescription labels and only legal prescription drugs could be left in the cache. Such a cache would be a real public service and would help out many people.

And, hey, if you are also into illegal entertainment drugs or street drugs, such as the anabolic steroids which have recently been in the news headlines, well you could also create a separate cache dedicated tor trading street drugs, but just make sure that it is at least 528 feet from the prescription drug cache to keep it all legal with respect to Groundspeak!

You may also wish to check out my recent thread about the soul ALR cache, where in order to log a find, a finder must leave their soul -- the general Groundspeak membership on the forums loved the idea, but some silly stick-in-the-mud reviewers nixed the cache listing repeatedly, and it is still not published. You may, however, have better luck in your region, since you have a different reviewer.

Wow! Caching is sure fun! :unsure::blink::huh:

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

The only one that meets guidelines would be the stop sign cache. The "heart" would have to be really small or otherwise really well hidden if you don't want it muggled.

IMO, although a lot of caches on signs are out there, they are not anything particularly cool and as a technicality are probably at least a little bit shy of the law. I don't think the municipalities that own and maintain the signs really appreciate people fooling around with them.

Cachers looking for caches on highway signs do run a high risk of LEO encounters and explaining how they are NOT trying to steal the sign for a scavenger hunt or dorm decoration.

Caches at one's own house are also a bad idea for the reason you alluded to in the OP. Not to mention no one wants to look in someone's garbage can. The garbage can cache likely would not be listed because it is not generally available. Exceptions are made for things like library caches which can only be accessed during business hours, but generally a cache has to be reasonably available. A few hours a week is not reasonable.

Municipal garbage can caches ARE common in public places however. The municipal cans are generally anchored to the ground and designed such that a cache can be hidden that will not interfere with garbage collection and where the seeker does not have to encounter the actual garbage. I owned one such cache that lasted several years in a very heavily trafficked small town public circle. That in itself was remarkable. Still many people shun such caches.

Thanks

Read these before you hide a cache

Not great: Time capsule? Caches that require manipulation of time in any form must be approved in advance by Vinny, and I don't think he likes dogs.

Wow! Caching is sure fun! :blink::huh::o

Ok, so you would pre-approve the OP's Time Capsule cache. But what about the dog issue? :unsure:

Edited by cache_test_dummies

Wow! Caching is sure fun! :o:D:blink:

Ok, so you would pre-approve the OP's Time Capsule cache. But what about the dog issue? :unsure:

Is the dog going to be in a time capsule? :huh:

Not great: Body parts do not generally make good geocache containers, regardless of their cutesy name.

Not great: My trash day is Monday, and if your trash day is some other day, I'd never be able to find your cache. Plus, the trash isn't picked up on holidays.

Not great: Buried caches are not allowed. But if you require everyone to leave a shovel, make sure you note that on the cache page, and list the cache as puzzle (since that would make it an ALR).

Not great: You are correct: dogs are very pricey. At least some dogs.

It is true that any caches that involve travel through time or through any type of time-space portals must also receive pre-publication pass by me. However, I have no problem with dogs being involved with such caches, and in fact, I have an elderly beagle/Basset hound mix named Toby.

Does anyone know where a guy could get a Proton Gun w/ a Particel Accelerator and one of those neat foot switch activated ghost traps?...i was thinking of hiding a cache where you can bring those irritating ghosts you have trapped,dropped them off and take home a better one. but then i would have to leave a Particle Accelerator in case one got away you could catch it again....hmmmmm..im still working it all out...

I have an iffy idea too. I would like to make a fake grave out in the middle of the woods and have the grave marker as the cache, this would be described as a fake grave on the cache page and since no actual digging would be necessary to hide it so it would not scar the land, what are your thoughts? :blink:

Edited by Rostropovich

I have an iffy idea too. I would like to make a fake grave out in the middle of the woods and have the grave marker as the cache, this would be described as a fake grave on the cache page and since no actual digging would be necessary to hide it so it would not scar the land, what are your thoughts? :P

I don't think this would be a problem provided placing the marker itself did not require any digging.

My follow up question would be "do you intend to do any sort of landscape modification to improve the illusion of a fake grave?"

I have often thought of going to a grave stone store and asking for something off their "uh-oh" pile. I would modify it to hold the cache and place it appropriately- no doubt NOT in an active cemetery. Or perhaps place it with written permission in a real cemetery. But putting a fake stone in a real cemetery would encourage seekers to examine REAL stones for caches and thus is not a really good idea.

I don't think this would be a problem provided placing the marker itself did not require any digging.

My follow up question would be "do you intend to do any sort of landscape modification to improve the illusion of a fake grave?"

Just move the rocks away from it and place them around the "Grave" There is not much shrubbery up there so it would not be a problem as far as vegetation is concerned

Just move the rocks away from it and place them around the "Grave" There is not much shrubbery up there so it would not be a problem as far as vegetation is concerned

I personally would think it is OK, but an email to your local reviewer would be a good idea before putting too much (potentially wasted) effort into it. Permission is the trump card... get it and the cache is good to go (usually). Don't get it and ANY cache is "iffy."

Thanks

Good gosh! Golly gee! I love each of these ideas, and, hey, while we're at it, why not also create a public service prescription drug trade cache. It would work as follows:

People could leave bottles of their unused or expired prescription drugs, and they could then pick and chose from among the prescription drug swag items left by other cachers to get prescription drugs that they cannot afford or that they just wish to try out for a while. Of course, to keep it all fully legal, all the prescription drug bottles would need to bear their original prescription labels and only legal prescription drugs could be left in the cache. Such a cache would be a real public service and would help out many people.

And, hey, if you are also into illegal entertainment drugs or street drugs, such as the anabolic steroids which have recently been in the news headlines, well you could also create a separate cache dedicated tor trading street drugs, but just make sure that it is at least 528 feet from the prescription drug cache to keep it all legal with respect to Groundspeak!

You may also wish to check out my recent thread about the soul ALR cache, where in order to log a find, a finder must leave their soul -- the general Groundspeak membership on the forums loved the idea, but some silly stick-in-the-mud reviewers nixed the cache listing repeatedly, and it is still not published. You may, however, have better luck in your region, since you have a different reviewer.

Wow! Caching is sure fun! :wub::wub::wub:

Your sarcastically mean :wub:

2.Put a container on my trashcan lid-tell people to only come on trashday,or is that to informing of where i live?-of course i would put the trash day

6.What about putting one in walmart or something-like on a tredmil and call it a quick run to walmart,with their permission of course.

7.Buy a duck decoy put n a log book,tie a string onto it and put the string on the outskirts of a pond.

Thanks

1. Cute idea. Seems many people frown on caches ON traffic signs- might even be illegal.

2. The smell- nope not good.

3. NO

4. There are dog themed caches that ask for dog related items- don't know about the dog treats.

5. No burying allowed, but maybe a theme cache asking for swag that says something about this day and time. - or some other day and time- example- ten years ago.

6. You'd never get permission.

7. I think it's been done- always a fun idea.

I found one of these near my home. It is in a park, and does in fact have doggy treats in it. I didn't mind, once my wife explained that doggy treats are not - to the best of her knowledge - made of actual doggies. I relaxed and went hunting. Uh, for the cache, that is.

GC18T7Y

But I will warn you - the CO had to add a little addendum to the cache page: "Please don't let your dog MARK the cache."

Well now, that's one you don't see just every day. Here they want you to bring your pooch, then they stock the thing with doggy treats made of some non-doggy strangeness, but then they don't want you to let your dog do exactly what dogs do!

The nerve. I could barely keep myself from peeing on the thing myself. But somehow, I managed to control myself. OK, truth be told, I was wearing gloves just in case some cacher had brought their hound but had NOT noted the plea in the hint. I didn't want to be handling a container which some canine thought was 'theirs.' Even if the dog's name was Mark. And with the gloves on I had a little trouble with my zipper. Either way, the cache was dry when I left, I promise.

:wub:

Thanks

Nobody commented on this one but I actually kinda like it. The tricky parts will be to put a sufficiently waterproof container in the decoy and somehow manage to keep it from being taken by muggles, or blasted to wood chips by a hunter.

I have an approved time capsule cache.

It was placed 12-24-2010. It didn't get approved until 2011 though.

Yes, I know -- I found that one.

You won't be getting the log until sometime next year, tho. Around Christmas eve, 2012. Early.

Claimed the 'TFT'*

*Temporal Find; Transient

(As they'll be known, then)

~*