Garmin Colorado Firmware Version

SnoWake

I do like that the backlight comes on *some* when you press the button, but I'd rather it remember my last setting.

Load time: 25 seconds to where it says "loading maps"

27 more seconds with ~800 caches loaded (4.7MB)

75 more seconds with ~2000 caches loaded (8.7MB)

Another fix from the firmware update: When you select a geocache and it overlays the info on the map, the location cursor is now centered in the remaining space on the page instead of being under the brief description.

If the compass is calibrated, it appears to point in the right direction so I guess I'll have to remember to calibrate it every time I change batteries.

Here's a funny thing.

"Corrected issue that changed map setting to north up if reviewing a point on the map."

In other words, when you scroll around it makes North up!

This problem reportedly fixed by a firmware update still occurs even after I uploaded the new update. Could it be that the changes are not working?

I noticed that on the weekend, drove me freaking crazy!

Hopefully it works for me ... I'll give it try in a bit.

Here's a funny thing.

"Corrected issue that changed map setting to north up if reviewing a point on the map."

This problem reportedly fixed by a firmware update still occurs even after I uploaded the new update. Could it be that the changes are not working?

Seemed to work for me ...

1 - Selected Geocaching profile

2 - Confirmed that I was in track up mode, yup

3 - Went into the Map screen

4 - Panned to a POI geocache, selected it, didn't "Go" to it, backed out

5 - Checked tracking, still in track up

I also checked this by selecting the POI geocache and "Go"ing to it, then confirmed that I was still in track up mode.

I only checked this in the house, I'll try it while moving as well.

Here's a funny thing.

I also checked this by selecting the POI geocache and "Go"ing to it, then confirmed that I was still in track up mode.

Your use if the term "POI geocache" leads me to believe you are employing the work around to enable the icons to be viewed on the map overlay. If you simply load the caches via a GPX file, do you get track up or north up?

Thanks.

Has there been any changed when it comes to viewing caches on the map? If I am remembering correctly it is not possible unless you do a work around.

I would also like to hear if the update allows you to view the icons on the map overlay. I'm not talking about POI's or waypoints. I want to know if the icons can now be viewed on the map if you load the caches through GSAK as regular old geocaches?????????????

I've received two e-mails from a Garmin techie over the last week informing me that he is able to view the icons when he loads caches directly from geocachingg.com. Now I assume he only loaded a single cache by clicking the "Sent To GPS" tab on the site. If that is the case, would he be able to view the cache description or the hint?

In other words, the techie is saying that all of you who are not able to view the icons on the map overlays are doing something wrong.

Another Garmin techie I spoke to on the phone last week said he was aware of the problem and that a firmware update would be offered to fix the cache icon/overlay issue. Which of these techies is full of it??

Has there been any changed when it comes to viewing caches on the map? If I am remembering correctly it is not possible unless you do a work around.

I would also like to hear if the update allows you to view the icons on the map overlay. I'm not talking about POI's or waypoints. I want to know if the icons can now be viewed on the map if you load the caches through GSAK as regular old geocaches?????????????

I've received two e-mails from a Garmin techie over the last week informing me that he is able to view the icons when he loads caches directly from geocachingg.com. Now I assume he only loaded a single cache by clicking the "Sent To GPS" tab on the site. If that is the case, would he be able to view the cache description or the hint?

In other words, the techie is saying that all of you who are not able to view the icons on the map overlays are doing something wrong.

Another Garmin techie I spoke to on the phone last week said he was aware of the problem and that a firmware update would be offered to fix the cache icon/overlay issue. Which of these techies is full of it??

I have loaded the updates to the firmware and chipset. After reading your entry I have now loaded an individual cache and it does not show the treasure chest. What it shows is a blue stick pin. I can change the icon to the treasure chest. However, when I route to the cache it still shows the stick pin at the end of the route. My treasure chest is still on the map also. Did the Techie happen to mention how he was able to make the cache icons appear on the map??

I have loaded the updates to the firmware and chipset. After reading your entry I have now loaded an individual cache and it does not show the treasure chest. What it shows is a blue stick pin. I can change the icon to the treasure chest. However, when I route to the cache it still shows the stick pin at the end of the route. My treasure chest is still on the map also. Did the Techie happen to mention how he was able to make the cache icons appear on the map??

What do you think?? Of course not. I'm sure he just ended up with a blue stick pin and has no idea what I'm trying to tell him.

If you load an individual cache directly from gc.com, does the cache description and hint promulgate to the Colorado.

Have you tried to load a bulk GPX file through something like GSAK? If so, are you now able to see anything (even blue stick-pins) on the map overlays in geocaching mode?

Here's a funny thing.

It doesn't really change the setting, its only a temporary thing, while your panning. Its very frustrating.

I have units doing both things, and I sincerely hope they retain the functiont that it shows the map with north up while panning.

Track up is the obvious choice when you are moving aroung, actively navigating.

North up is the obvious choice when you are just looking at where you are, not yourself actively making the choices about where to turn. Like when riding as a passenger in any kind of vehicle.

As panning most closely resembles the second case, I like north up much more than track up. If there's anything that's confusing, it's panning in track up.

It doesn't really change the setting, its only a temporary thing, while your panning. Its very frustrating.

Well, it changed the setting for me ( last weekend ). I'd pan, it'd change, when I was finished panning, it stayed at track north and I had to go to Tools -> etc. to set it back to track up.

I have units doing both things, and I sincerely hope they retain the functiont that it shows the map with north up while panning.

North up is the obvious choice when you are just looking at where you are, not yourself actively making the choices about where to turn. Like when riding as a passenger in any kind of vehicle.

As panning most closely resembles the second case, I like north up much more than track up. If there's anything that's confusing, it's panning in track up.

Got it. Or at least I understand what they fixed. The intent is to have the unit go into North up when panning however when you quit panning they fixed a bug in 2.2 that caused the North up setting to be sticky. As of 2.2 the unit returns to Track up once you quit panning if that is the way you have the maps set up.

That said I'm not sure I agree with Anders or not. It might just take getting used to it. I guess when I'm standing in the woods Track Up and I want to pan I now have to start the pan, wait for the unit to jump to North Up (which BTW takes some time) and then start my scrolling. Before I would just scroll in the direction I wanted to relative to my track. In other words if there is something to my left I want to see I scroll left, now I have to look at the map and figure out what direction that is in. I'm not sure that is a good thing, but it probably is a minor thing.

I would put this in the class of "it would be nice to have a configuration option" because I think it is a personal preference.

GO$Rs

No changes. Geocaches still don't show up on the map screen. Geocaches loaded as waypoints do as long as the map settings support showing user waypoints at the zoom level selected on the map page.

GO$Rs

If you load an individual cache directly from gc.com, does the cache description and hint promulgate to the Colorado.

Yes.

Have you tried to load a bulk GPX file through something like GSAK? If so, are you now able to see anything (even blue stick-pins) on the map overlays in geocaching mode?

No. This works the same as before, geocaches don't show up on the map page in 2.3. The blue stick pin appears when you are navigating to a location, it could be a waypoint, a geocache, POI, etc. Once you stop navigation the pin goes away.

GO$Rs

Yes.

No. This works the same as before, geocaches don't show up on the map page in 2.3. The blue stick pin appears when you are navigating to a location, it could be a waypoint, a geocache, POI, etc. Once you stop navigation the pin goes away.

GO$Rs

Thanks for the info. Now would someone please e-mail Shawn V., a Garmin techie, to explain the problem. Shawn is either dense, indifferent, or uneducated about the Colorado and thinks there is no problem. In fact, he thinks everything is working as it should.

Im not sure I agree here. If I'm walking around and see a feature I'd like to get the name of or look at more closely, it would be nice not to have to reorientate myself when the screen suddenly goes North up. IMHO it is an oversight. None of the other handhelds on the ENTIRE market do this, even Magellan lets you pan around without hijacking your orientation. There is a god reason none of the other GPS's out there do this, ITS ANNOYING. Like I said before, do the people who write this software or design these units actually use them? The hijacking of your orientation when you go to pan is just plain annoying at best. I feel that it warrants more than just a mention as a "wish", It really needs fixed!

Im not sure I agree here. If I'm walking around and see a feature I'd like to get the name of or look at more closely, it would be nice not to have to reorientate myself when the screen suddenly goes North up.

I agree.

I pan to a cache and suddenly, my entire screen shifts to north up and I need to take a moment to figure out where the heck the cache that I'm looking for is, then re-pan. That's just not necessary.

What do you think?? Of course not. I'm sure he just ended up with a blue stick pin and has no idea what I'm trying to tell him.

I have loaded GPX files, the cache descriptions, logs and hints all show up in the Colorado. Which is really cool by the way. I have also loaded caches as poi files through GSAK with the custom poi icons so caches do show up on the map. Currently I have about 5000 on the unit's main memory. The nice thing about this is that you see the cache type when looking at the map. That is what I hope we end up with from Garmin. When I view a poi file I can see a shortened name of the cache Tr? not sure what that means but it shows up on all of them, shortened cache size, difficulty and terrain and the gc number but not cache description or logs. There is a search specific for custom poi files which is nice. I have not done anything else through GSAK because I have not used it for much other than the poi work around.

I have loaded GPX files, the cache descriptions, logs and hints all show up in the Colorado. Which is really cool by the way. I have also loaded caches as poi files through GSAK with the custom poi icons so caches do show up on the map. Currently I have about 5000 on the unit's main memory. The nice thing about this is that you see the cache type when looking at the map. That is what I hope we end up with from Garmin. When I view a poi file I can see a shortened name of the cache Tr? not sure what that means but it shows up on all of them, shortened cache size, difficulty and terrain and the gc number but not cache description or logs. There is a search specific for custom poi files which is nice. I have not done anything else through GSAK because I have not used it for much other than the poi work around.

IMHO, there should be no need for a POI work around. The cashe type specific icons should show up on the map. You should get the full name, full cache description, hints, and logs. That is what the Colorado is supposed to do, that is what it can do, and that is one of the things they need to get fixed.

IMHO, there should be no need for a POI work around. The cashe type specific icons should show up on the map. You should get the full name, full cache description, hints, and logs. That is what the Colorado is supposed to do, that is what it can do, and that is one of the things they need to get fixed.

From your mouth to Garmin's ear...we can only hope!!

Im not sure I agree here. If I'm walking around and see a feature I'd like to get the name of or look at more closely, it would be nice not to have to reorientate myself when the screen suddenly goes North up.

Exactly. You see something and stop to check, which means that the GPS looses track of where you are going, so track up may be anywhere. If you have the magnetic compass on, it takes that you had the unit level when you entered into panning mode, or you are lost there too.

Better having a consistent north up mode, then.

Edited by apersson850

When I view a poi file I can see a shortened name of the cache Tr? not sure what that means but it shows up on all of them, shortened cache size, difficulty and terrain and the gc number but not cache description or logs. There is a search specific for custom poi files which is nice. I have not done anything else through GSAK because I have not used it for much other than the poi work around.

I think that you don't see the cache description, etc. because that's the way that the macro was written. I'm sure that it could be tweaked to include more of the cache page.

I agree.

However, I'm just glad that there IS a workaround.

Here is the change list for the latest firmware updates for the 300 and 400t:

Change History

Changes made from version 2.20 to 2.30:

* Added setting to turn off the compass.

* Alarm clock will not change your backlight if it is already on.

* Low battery warning shows on powerup when appropriate.

* Improved DEM shading with supplemental maps.

* Fixed marine colors for depth soundings and active track.

* Added ability to view extended chart information and chart notes.

* Improve share wirelessly connection.

Changes made from version 2.10 to 2.20:

* Fixed potential shutdown when using partially discharged alkaline batteries and significant amounts of backlight.

* Improved backlight usability.

* Corrected potential memory leak on altimeter page.

* Corrected issue that changed map setting to north up if reviewing a point on the map.

* Changed the automotive view angle to match automotive products.

* Added ability to exit compass calibration if calibration fails.

* Improved performance and error handling of Share Wirelessly application.

* Corrected tone of route turn warnings.

* Added height and depth information on review pages if the information is available (related to marine maps).

* Corrected drawing of spot soundings.

* Improved drawing of satellite imagery in 400i and 400c.

I agree.

However, I'm just glad that there IS a workaround.

I need to re-apply my work around. :D:o I blew away all my waypoints on the device because I thought someone said in one of the threads that 2.30 had fixed the cache icon problem. Nope. Next release, hopefully.

They definitely need to do some kind of optimization on who they retrieve data out of the GPX file so that larger files ( > 500 geocaches) don't incur such a performance hit. I haven't seen this listed on any list of bugs, but during those lags, having some kind of animated cursor to show that the device is actually doing something would be nice. I never know if I pressed the button or not. This is one of those cases where the hacker in me wishes he could get his hands on the source code and tweak it so that it is working right. Maybe some day there will be an open source GPS, like the way that there are some open source cell phone projects.

--Marky

I'm running into an issue where the backlight automatically turns off and won't turn back on. This is happening while I am actively using the unit, so it is not the standard 15sec timeout thing. The only way to get the backlight to turn back on is to restart the unit.

Is anyone else having this issue? I have the 400t with the latest 2.3 & 2.6 updates.

I hung my Colorado up next to our indoor thermometer. The Colorado reads about 7 degrees high even after 30 minutes (it started over 10 degrees high). Add this to the list of flaws...what good is a thermometer that doesn't read right?

Just about to get my 300. So interestd to hear of some of the "problems" here.

With regards to the temp - is it meant to be an accurate external temp or are they using the internal temp - which is required in order to process fix data correctly? (Temp variation on the internal oscillator) My old GPSII+ could be 'encouraged' to show temp (internal status information screen) and this always read a few degrees higher than ambient.

The temp display on my SUUNTO watch is always hi when on the wrist - but more accurate when held in open air for a few minutes - which is not really practical :D

I am generally an early adopter. I am using a 2610 to road-route me to the cache and then a 60CSx for the final hunt. I also use a Blackberry 8830 and am 70% paperless for caching with it. I planned to order the Colorado but after reading all the threads here think it may be better to wait a month or so.

For those that now have the Colorado and are experienced with other Garmin products for caching, would you have waited for the R&D dust to clear in 20/20 hindsight or made the same decision to buy now?

Thx in advance!

I am generally an early adopter. I am using a 2610 to road-route me to the cache and then a 60CSx for the final hunt. I also use a Blackberry 8830 and am 70% paperless for caching with it. I planned to order the Colorado but after reading all the threads here think it may be better to wait a month or so.

For those that now have the Colorado and are experienced with other Garmin products for caching, would you have waited for the R&D dust to clear in 20/20 hindsight or made the same decision to buy now?

Thx in advance!

I'm knew that, with any new product, there would be issues. As a "gotta have it" guy I accept that and don't whine incessantly about what doesn't work ( not that I'm pointing any fingers at anyone ... and I don't mean you YBLee ). I just wait for the upgrades to show up, and they will/have.

I appreciate the workarounds that people bring forward. I play, I cry, I grow with the product.

Edited by nicolo

I'm running into an issue where the backlight automatically turns off and won't turn back on. This is happening while I am actively using the unit, so it is not the standard 15sec timeout thing. The only way to get the backlight to turn back on is to restart the unit.

Is anyone else having this issue? I have the 400t with the latest 2.3 & 2.6 updates.

Is your battery dead or close to it? The backlight (and I think the audio beeps) will be turned off below a certain battery level.

GO$Rs

From your mouth to Garmin's ear...we can only hope!!

Celtic Cacher, you are 150% correct IMHO. I wonder if Garmin in all their wisdom would have still rushed it to market in light of all the bugs in the Colorado if the CES wasn't when it was. I personally doubt it.

I have held off from purchasing a Colorado because of all of the afore mentioned problems and at this point in time I'm not sure I will purchase a Colorado. Maybe I'm being unfair, but IMHO when you bring such an advanced piece of electronic gear to market it should be right, at least more right than this unit has been.

It's a darn shame.

I've been using a Garmin GPS V for a number of years and I don't recall many firmware updates for it. The GPS V is a dinosaur and maybe nothing as sensitive as the newer units, but I still can find the caches with it.

Barefoot One & Wench

Exactly. You see something and stop to check, which means that the GPS looses track of where you are going, so track up may be anywhere. If you have the magnetic compass on, it takes that you had the unit level when you entered into panning mode, or you are lost there too.

Better having a consistent north up mode, then.

Anders, it personal preferance. The older units didn't do this. Far be it for you to imply that the new way is better. Better for who? %50 of us? Some like to navigate with track up and some like to navigate with north up. Why don't they just set the darn thing to do either depending on your setting. Instead, those of us who like track up get disoriented when it changes to North up when you pan. Its a simple fix. It would be a dumb "standard" for new units. It just doesn't make sense.

"You have to wonder if the designers actually use the product"

A setting would satisfy you and me. Unfortunately, as mentioned in other threads, settings generate a burden on Garmin's customer support, as people call and ask about them. Hence (from one point of view), the less settings the better.

I have units that pan in track up. I've always thought it was confusing, in spite of that I always navigate with track up. It's just that I consider active navigation, when looking at things around me, to be different compared to panning.

Well, let's drop that for now, shall we? We have different opinions and we will both inform Garmin about our prefences, I presume. Then they'll know that whatever they do, not everyone will be happy.

After I upgraded to version 2.3 I noted that on the second push of the power button that the backlight goes on to a default low level. Trying that today I notice that this doesn't seem to work any longer.

I'm wondering if this is somehow is related to battery power.

Any one else seeing this?

GO$Rs

A setting would satisfy you and me. Unfortunately, as mentioned in other threads, settings generate a burden on Garmin's customer support, as people call and ask about them. Hence (from one point of view), the less settings the better.

I have units that pan in track up. I've always thought it was confusing, in spite of that I always navigate with track up. It's just that I consider active navigation, when looking at things around me, to be different compared to panning.

Well, let's drop that for now, shall we? We have different opinions and we will both inform Garmin about our prefences, I presume. Then they'll know that whatever they do, not everyone will be happy.

Asperson850,

I think people are just frustrated and disappointed because the Colorado has been marketed as being customizable, but then they appear to be limiting that which you can customize to meet your own preferences and needs. There are plenty of entry level models on the market and this model is being marketed to high end handheld users. Therefore, the Colorado should provide the features high end users want and expect for the price.

Garmin can’t advertise a new age in GPS technology, and them deliver far below expectations without some people being a little miffed. Garmin’s stock price jumped up over $5.00 on Tuesday. I’m guessing this has something to do with the accolades they gleaned at the CES. If they want to keep their dominant position in the market, they need to deliver.

Now I’m sure most of the issues will be resolved, but I hope they do not sacrifice accepted and expected features just to ease the burden on their Customer Service Department. That is why they are there and their expert and attentive service is what makes Garmin the best GPSr manufacturer in the world.

Changes made from version 2.90 to 3.00:

Reduced variation in battery gauge indicator. :D

Changes made from version 2.60 to 2.70:

Improve stability when using Lithium Ion Battery. :o

Above are entries in the firmware updates for the 60CSX regarding power issues. Hopefully they will improve upon this area with NIMH's in a future update for my Colorado 300. I just thought I'd spread a little hope. Hope that one day, I can leave the bag of spare NIMH's at home when I take my filthy mutt (lovingly) for a walk. :P

I just got my Colorado 400t last night. I love it.

Software Version 2.20

GPS Software Version 2.50

As I read almost everyone's comments here, you'all remind me of myself when I fought to get geocaching.com to fix issues on cache pages. Unfortunately, most of my "issues" were not seen as issues. I'm not one to see standing on my head to accept bugs as a solution. I eventually just gave up!

With the Garmin Colorados: I wish more would realize that these GPS units are NOT the Garmin 60 units. Why would they be? We already have those! The Colorado units appear to be designed from the ground up and NOT a redesigned GPS 60.

To get the most out of this new unit, we need to embrace it for what it is, not for what it isn't. You're going to scare potential buyers who never owned the GPS 60 units and mess up a good thing.

Also, why not focus on true issues? Not just the differences between these units vs GPS map60 units, but how these units perform. If we don't, we waste time and effort "missing" the GPS 60s.

With that being said, I haven't played enough with this new device. It seems that there are more ways to set up functions than I have discovered. I am forgetting the mold of how I think about caching and where I plan my trips. This new unit is excellent at keeping the task in focus (finding nearest caches, say). It seems to be designed for the hunt (except for the lack of being able to "find" a cache) and keeps you on task both for the closest caches and viewing the map of the area you are in.

Let's leave the planning part of the hunt to other packages like Google Earth, Trip and Waypoint Manager, and other programs, and enjoy these new units for what they are.

- just my thoughts.

LifeOnEdge!

Colorado 400t with yesterday's firmware update with 2500mAh Energizer rechargables I got in December:

I turned the unit on at 8:30 this morning and put the backlight on full. At 4pm the unit is still going but it is down to one bar on the battery meter. The backlight dimmed when it got to half even thought the setting is still on full. The unit is not viewable with sunglasses on (or off unless I hold it at the right angle) once the backlight dims this much.

I'm sure if I had the backlight set to turn off after a minute, I could use it for an entire day, but I wish it wouldn't dim on its own until the battery meter gets down to one bar.

Not sure if this has already been mentioned.....if I mark a waypoint and want to modify the coords only by a digit or two, I have to input every digit in the entire coordinate even if I do not need to change most. Seems to be no way to "scroll" past the digits that don't need to be changed. Is there a shortcut I'm missing on this or just another Garmin oversight?

Colorado 400t with yesterday's firmware update with 2500mAh Energizer rechargables I got in December:

I turned the unit on at 8:30 this morning and put the backlight on full. At 4pm the unit is still going but it is down to one bar on the battery meter. The backlight dimmed when it got to half even thought the setting is still on full. The unit is not viewable with sunglasses on (or off unless I hold it at the right angle) once the backlight dims this much.

I'm sure if I had the backlight set to turn off after a minute, I could use it for an entire day, but I wish it wouldn't dim on its own until the battery meter gets down to one bar.

Hmm, well, I have very different results. Before I leave work I load fresh-off-the-charger NIMH 2500mah batts. I set a route for home with CN (it takes me 20 minutes to drive home) and an hour later I'm on one bar and no backlight. 15-30 minutes after that she's dead. Sure just sitting on a desk it can get much longer runtimes but in actve use (real world use) it really burns through them.