Garmin Colorado Firmware Version

SnoWake

I haven't really seen this detail discussed, amidst all the swirl around the new Colorado. Those who just got their hands on the units (and the few that have had them for a bit longer) have discussed all the limitations / shortcomings (as well as the new features) - and many (myself included) assume that much will be resolved in what will no doubt by numerous firmware updates in the coming weeks/months. I'd guess even MORE than we saw with the 60-series, as it's an even more dramatic shift in the User Interface.

SO:

The purpose of this thread is to note, and discuss, "current" versions of the firmware: What works, what doesn't, and any workarounds, if available. If the moderators feel this just belongs under one of the existing Colorado threads, I'm happy to see it move to an appropriate home.

SHIPPING VERSIONS

(at least, this is what was loaded on my unit, purchased from REI in Berkeley, CA)

Software Verion: 2.10

GPS Software Version: 2.50

For starters - is this what others have, as well? This information is accessed via:

Shortcuts-> Setup -> System -> Options -> Software Version

I tried using Web Updater - it first reported I was running the current version (perhaps software version?), and then, threw an error and died (perhaps when it came to checking the GPS software version?).

Going to Garmin's support / download site - they don't even LIST the Colorado line yet:

http://www.garmin.com/support/blosp.jsp

So, for the current version - what are the major gripes / shortcomings?

In my mind, there are two categories:

• Obviously missing, core functionality that needs to be provided, and
  • Nice-to-have or expected features in a next-gen unit

So, in the Obviously missing category:

• Ability to show geocaches (loaded via GPX file) on map
  • Ability to control (turn off) digital compass
  • Ability to mark a cache as found

I'm sure there are more - so let's hear them!

In the 'expected' list - there are many items, JUST to get this unit to a point where it's providing the base functionality users had in previous models (e.g. 60-series) - not to mention the expectations one might have of a "next-gen" unit:

• Basic 'geocaching' mode functions: Find nearest/next, select by symbol/type, etc
  • A 'calendar' (60-series) or journal of found caches - IDEALLY in chronological order
  • Quick toggle between 'follow road' and 'off road' routing

Like I said, THIS list will be long - I just seeded it with a few obvious examples.

Finally, the "workarounds" section:

Everyone expressed frustration with the lack of visibility of geocaches (whether loaded as waypoints or POIs) on the map. It seems the "Auto" setting for user waypoints is not functioning properly - the workaround, documented in this thread and others, is to just manually set the zoom level for user waypoints. This seems to effect the visibility of both caches pushed as waypoints (e.g. via MapSource), as well as custom POIs.

Others? For starters, does everyone (except perhaps some early testers) have the same version of firmware on their units?

• Back Lighting setting is not remembered between power cycles. Not sure if there are other settings that need to be remembered as well.
  • A busy indicator is not displayed during lengthy processes (like selecting a geocache, or viewing a geocache description or hint).

Can't think of any others that haven't already been mentioned.

*) 3axial-compass

*) turn of compass by user

*) no limit with waypoints, tracks and routes (just save it on the SD and read it from the SD again)

*) key lock (a feature which is implemented in every mobilephone)

*) screen-saver to save energy

*) routing with voice support

*) support for SDHC 8GB

*) Filecommander to switch between different gmapsupp.img (i like it to have some small files and not one large) performance and seek-function is better

*) 3axial-compass
Since this would require a hardware change, you aren't going to see this as a firmware update.

I'm always curious about the usefulness of a 3axial-compass. Generally, in cases where you are moving, if the GPS just disabled the electronic compass and just used the GPS track to calculate the direction, the display would be a lot more stable. The only time I ever find a magnetic compass useful is when I'm standing still, and then it is usually no problem to hold the GPS level like you would be required to do with a real compass. On my eXplorist 600, I just have my compass turned off all the time.

Personally, I'd rather have north finder icons like the Magellan has rather than a 3axial-compass. Now those are really useful to me. I don't know if Magellan has a patent on those, but if not, I think Garmin should consider adding that feature (as a nice to have).

--Marky

I think I've passed through firmwares from 1.51 to 2.16 or so.

Anders-

Thanks for the info. Firmare 2.16, huh?? Where do we get a copy?

Obviously, we just need to stay tuned to Garmin's site, and presumably - with any luck, WebUpdater will learn how to deal with the unit.

Anders- Are you using Web Updater, or a more 'direct' approach to installing new firmware?

As of this morning - I ran Web Updater, which FIRST checks for updates to itself - and reports, none found.

Then - selecting the device [in my case - "Garmin (F:\)"] and selecting Next, reports:

"No updates were found for your Garmin device. There may be additional updates, such as voice [?] updates."

Clicking Next, this is where I see the error:

"There was a problem communicating with the Garmin website. Please try again later. If you continue to experience the problem, contact Garmin technical support".

Not sure if this second check is the GPS (receiver) software - which, as I understand it, is new (switching away from the SiRF receiver of the 60CSx) - and so, perhaps, not 'coded for' in the backend of Web Updater, yet?

Waiting for 2.2 with baited breath...

I've been keeping a list which covers the ones you have plus some I've observed over the past two days. As I get more I'll send them your way.

Added: my versions are the same as above 2.1/2.5

Obviously missing:

- Backlight settings aren't saved

- Reset control is not nearly as convenient as the 60cs. On the 60cs you could reset tracks, waypoint and odometer settings from one place. Now you need to do it from three places (odometer, waypoint manager and tracks).

- No waypoint averaging

- Search and delete by waypoint type/symbols is missing.

- Waypoint icons should be visible in list views (goto list, waypoint manager, etc)

- Can't disable the compass

- Can't set the "auto-compass-on" trip point speed (probably the same setting).

- Outdoor temp readings just plain don't seem to work. I've been out on two sub-freezing days and never seen the GPS outdoor temp go less than 50F

- I've seen one hang reading a particular cache's description. Need to characterize it more carefully but its a full blown, take the batteries out to reset kind of thing. Seems to be reproducible.

- Boot time is 36 seconds (about 13 seconds for the unit to come up, 13 to load maps the rest to load waypoints, etc).

- Geocaches from GPX file don't show up on the map.

- No way to mark a geocache as found

- Device goes into mass storage mode upon connect to PC

- Device auto-powers off after disconnect to PC

- Geocaches (not geocaches loaded as waypoints) don't contain coordinates.

- North up/track up config should be available from the map page (rather than having to go to Setup->Map)

- Geocaches don't show up in "Recent Finds"

- Screen is too dim (this might be a hardware issue but I'm wondering if there is a screen brightness setting than might be made available)

- Should be able to see the entire set of coordinates when editing a waypoint. Right now you can all see about 7-8 digits worth

Nice to have:

- The second time you press the power button the backlight does not come on, even at the dimmest setting. This makes it hard to see if/when you've pressed the button and are on the summary page.

- No way to configure the boot screen with name, email, address, etc. (supported by 60cs)

- Overzoom on map page is more limited than 60cs, you can only zoom into the 80ft level. (supported by 60cs)

- From the summary cache page you have to read the description before you read the hint, since reading the descriptions is a slow process it would be nice to read the hint directly from the cache summary page.

- Can't change the track color, thickness (or any properties that I can see) (supported by 60cs)

- Summary screen (with time, GPS status, backlight, etc) should display the temperature and elevation.

- Changing the cursor size and shape would be nice (it's too big for me).

- Accuracy rings on map page (supported by 60cs)

- When you mark a new waypoint and edit the coordinates it should be allowed to say goto at that point (or at a minimum it should be added to the recent finds list so you can find it quickly and goto to it). This problem existed on the 60cs and its a pain for multi-caches where you input coordinates then you have to search around for the waypoint you just created to goto it.

- Reading geocache descriptions is slow. I have a gpx file with about 300 hundred geocaches and it takes 10-12 seconds to bring up the descriptions/logs (this is not a PQ GPX, it is exported from GSAK and has 20-25 logs per cache). I've tried at gpx with fewer logs (5 per cache) and while this helps I think it could be improved.

- Handling for child waypoints, I'm hoping that this could be supported if Garmin improves the geocaching mode.

As I see more I'll post them!

GO$Rs

[Edit: added version numbers]

Edited by g-o-cashers

My two big issues are: lack of geocache coordinates display and performance. Described in detail below. As I state at the end of my post, I think I'm going to return my Colorado. But I'll follow these forums for a few more days. Maybe someone will post a work around to my two issues.

Here's what I wanted - it seems simple enough:

- On the navigation screen: Current coordinates, cache coordinates, map, distance to cache (the last one is not critical).

- An easy way to toggle back and forth between the navigation screen I described above and the full cache description.

Here's what found:

- Garmin's default geocache listing does not display the cache coordinates. It displays the title, difficulty, terrain, and number of trackables. Not the coordinates.

- In addition to the above summary information, a map is displayed showing your location in reference to the cache location. Two data fields are displayed: distance from cache and time to cache.

- You cannot configure the above two displays.

- You DO have an option to display the full cache listing - description and logged comments. That is an entirely different screen - and the cache coordinates are not displayed.

After perusing several forums, I developed a custom export out of gsak that included the lat long as part of the name. Unfortunately, the "name" being exported out of gsak doesn't seem to be the "name" that the garmin is using in their summary display.

However, the description did use my custom formula - it was built into the name. But that was on the full screen where no current navigation information is displayed.

I also discovered significant performance issues:

- If even 100 caches are stored on the unit, the performance just dies. One can't quickly toggle back and forth between the cache listing and the basically useless navigation screen. The until will take 5-15 seconds to move back and forth or it hangs completely and you have to pop the batteries out.

- I finally created a a file of just ten geocaches. Even then performance was dicey.

Conclusion:

I desperately wanted a gps that could be used for paperless caching and performed reasonably well. I'm pretty forgiving on the technology front - I'm willing to put up with a lot. But this unit just doesn't do what I had hoped it would do. I know this is harsh, but I really wonder if Garmin had geocachers involved at the get go. Because of the Wherigo game, I had assumed geocaching.com and garmin were working closely together. But now, I wonder.

As I stated above, all I wanted was a map, and current and cache lat long info on one screen and an easy way to toggle to the description info.

I think Garmin is also missing the boat by not opening up their unit to 3rd party developers. Garmin should publish an SDK. My issues would have been addressed within 24 hours. sigh...

I really like Garmin gear, so it's going to be doubly painful if I return my Colorado to REI.

I hung my Colorado up next to our indoor thermometer. The Colorado reads about 7 degrees high even after 30 minutes (it started over 10 degrees high). Add this to the list of flaws...what good is a thermometer that doesn't read right?

OK, in light of this...

--- ) The ability to adjust the temperature readout, like the old Magellan Platinum.

I hung my Colorado up next to our indoor thermometer. The Colorado reads about 7 degrees high even after 30 minutes (it started over 10 degrees high). Add this to the list of flaws...what good is a thermometer that doesn't read right?

That's pretty good compared to mine! I've been out the last two days in weather no warmer than 25F and I've never seen the temp on my Colorado drop below 50F. It seems to do fine in room temp kind of environments.

GO$Rs

As I stated above, all I wanted was a map, and current and cache lat long info on one screen and an easy way to toggle to the description info.

When you are on the map page you can select Options->Change Data Fields. That will highlight one of the two fields at the bottom of the map in blue. Hit the enter and select Location (lat/lon). That'll give you current location. There's another option called Location (selected) and I thought that would give you the lat/lon of the destination but it seems to be the same as the other Location. Hmmm, maybe that's a bug.

As for the performance I would agree. I did find that reducing the number of logs in the gpx file I loaded helped some, but I'm still not sure it is going to be as fast as you want it.

GO$Rs

When you are on the map page you can select Options->Change Data Fields. That will highlight one of the two fields at the bottom of the map in blue. Hit the enter and select Location (lat/lon). That'll give you current location. There's another option called Location (selected) and I thought that would give you the lat/lon of the destination but it seems to be the same as the other Location. Hmmm, maybe that's a bug.

As for the performance I would agree. I did find that reducing the number of logs in the gpx file I loaded helped some, but I'm still not sure it is going to be as fast as you want it.

GO$Rs

Yeah - I had discovered the same thing on the map page. I could get the current location displayed but not the destination waypoint. I tried both the options you listed above. If that had worked it would have been somewhat o.k. Although, I don't understand why the current and destination coordinates could not be displayed on the geocache summary-map view.

But as I think more about the performance, that is also a big issue. Even with only ten caches loaded, scrolling down through a single cache description was really painful. There was a least a 5 second delay on the scroll and the unit hung more than once while scrolling.

Looking at cache data takes about the same time, regardless of whether you have five geocaches or 2000. I think it's the searching and parsing of the GPX file that takes time.

The lat/long is not a bug. One displays hddd°mm.mmm' always. The "selected" displays the format you've set the unit to. If you didn't change the default, they'll both show the same, as the default is exactly that, hddd°mm.mmm'. No way to see the position of a waypoint, though. But as the Colorado has a magnetic compass, you don't need it that much either. Just bring up the compass page, place the unit flat near the cache, then go check on it now and then to see distance and direction. Once they've been lying there for a few minutes, they are usually very accurate in pointing out the position, and it's more convenient than matching numbers.

The thermometer probably reads too much of the internal temperature of the electronics, to be a good indicator of ambient temperature.

I just got off the phone with Garmin. I went through all my issues above and got a lot of, "oh yeah, that would be nice, we'll add it to the list" type responses. Nothing really concrete.

I complained about not having the maps on DVD and the brightness of the screen, but again he couldn't really offer much other than the backgrounds are darker on the Colorado giving that appearance.

The guy was most interested in the freeze I can reproduce with certain GPX file with a single cache. He was able to reproduce it once I emailed it to him. He claims it'll be sent off to engineering and I should hear something in a day or two.

He also gave me some stats on the 300. It seems to have 512MB of flash installed with about ~100MB used for base map and other stuff, leaving around 400MB free. He indicated that the Topo on the 400t is the same map set as Topo2008 but it is packaged differently to get around the segment limit and indicated that you couldn't just take Topo2008 and load it all onto a 300 (both from a space and segment limit point of view).

I was also able to successfully register my Colorado on mygarmin.com today.

GO$Rs

I was also able to successfully register my Colorado on mygarmin.com today.

Wow, how did you manage that? I tried entering my serial number ( the number in the battery compartment ) but it wasn't accepted.

Maybe they updated their serial # database ...?

Looks like they did update their db. I was also able to register my 400t :

Thank you for registering your Colorado 400t, United States. Receive a 1-month free trial premium membership to Geocaching.com. Visit http://www.geocaching.com/garmin/freetrial.aspx to activate your subscription.

... and I could receive a FREE $3 gift from geocaching.com, woohoo!

... thanks for the heads up!

Thank you for registering your Colorado 400t, United States. Receive a 1-month free trial premium membership to Geocaching.com. Visit http://www.geocaching.com/garmin/freetrial.aspx to activate your subscription.

... and I could receive a FREE $3 gift from geocaching.com, woohoo!

... thanks for the heads up!

I tried that earlier and it didn't seem to work. It complained that I need to upgrade the Communicator but the Communicator test page claims everything is fine and up to date - I can also use it to download caches to my 400t. Seems like they will credit your account even if you are already a premium member.

GO$Rs

Not sure which thread to post this in...... but,

When I load gpx files one at a time into the unit's gpx folder, all seems to work ok in the geocaching mode. However, after saving a GSAK database (only about 25 caches) as a single gpx file and copying this file into the gpx folder, the unit seemed to have a hard time working with this and locked up repeatedly. So pocket queries are useless with this unit currently or am i doing something wrong?

As per one post above, it seems they have problems parsing certain such files. You aren't doing anything wrong. Try some other caches and see if the problem goes away. If so, Garmin may be interested in the file that doesn't work, so they have a chance figuring out what's going wrong there.

I've seen pecularities with certain caches too.

When I load gpx files one at a time into the unit's gpx folder, all seems to work ok in the geocaching mode. However, after saving a GSAK database (only about 25 caches) as a single gpx file and copying this file into the gpx folder, the unit seemed to have a hard time working with this and locked up repeatedly. So pocket queries are useless with this unit currently or am i doing something wrong?

There is definitely and issue here. Yesterday I sent Garmin a GPX file with a single cache that causes my 400t to freeze. They were able to reproduce the freeze on a 300 and said they would get back to me.

It has something to do with either the contents of specific logs or the number of logs. When I exported the same file from GSAK with fewer logs (ie. 5, like a PQ) the same cache worked fine. I'm just not sure if it was having fewer logs that helped or the fact I eliminated a log that contained something that caused the GPS to go nuts.

I guess if you really want a work around, just export from GSAK with no logs for now.

GO$Rs

There is definitely and issue here. Yesterday I sent Garmin a GPX file with a single cache that causes my 400t to freeze. They were able to reproduce the freeze on a 300 and said they would get back to me.

It has something to do with either the contents of specific logs or the number of logs. When I exported the same file from GSAK with fewer logs (ie. 5, like a PQ) the same cache worked fine. I'm just not sure if it was having fewer logs that helped or the fact I eliminated a log that contained something that caused the GPS to go nuts.

I guess if you really want a work around, just export from GSAK with no logs for now.

GO$Rs

Just a thought I had...... do the cache's that are causing this problem have logs with embeded BBC code for images or anything of the sort? Maybe the unit can't handle that code. That is the only thing that I can think of that would distinguish one log from the next.

Edited by elmuyloco5

The USB drive mode thing is the user's fault. Read my comment in the other thread, linked to above.

When I talked to customer support yesterday they took this as an issue because the guy I spoke with thought that the unit should not always come up in USB drive mode when connected to a PC. What if you want to use it as a GPS device attached to a laptop or want to verify that your last download did the right thing before disconnecting? He was convinced you should have the ability exit USB drive mode and use the unit as a tethered USB GPSr.

The issue around Colorado behavior when connecting to power adapters (vs. PCs) might be a different issue but as a customer I would never want the GPS to operate as a USB driver when it was attached to a power adapter - no matter who manufactured it. It could be that Garmin has done something to prevent people from using third party adapters which, IMHO, would be a very bad decision. Either way the PC thing above still needs to be fixed.

GO$Rs

GO$Rs

Tech support confirmed this today as a bug and said it would be fixed in the next release (which they don't have a date for!). Garmin indicated there is a workaround "but it is complex", I asked if they would send it to me and will share once I receive it.

GO$Rs

When I talked to customer support yesterday they took this as an issue because the guy I spoke with thought that the unit should not always come up in USB drive mode when connected to a PC. What if you want to use it as a GPS device attached to a laptop or want to verify that your last download did the right thing before disconnecting? He was convinced you should have the ability exit USB drive mode and use the unit as a tethered USB GPSr.
He was obviously thinking along the lines of units like the 60 CSx. A Colorado works like all the new Garmin GPS units. Take a nüvi 760, Zumo 550 or StreetPilot c550, for example. They all run as USB drives when connected to a PC, since that's the way you go to transfer data back and forth. They aren't intended to operate as GPS pucks, hooked up to computers via USB.

In order to verify your last download you'd have to dismount anyway, as you can't operate the GPS when it's in drive mode, but you can't download anything when it's not. You can eject electronically, but you would still have to reboot the device independently, to see what you have on the GPS, then connect and reboot in drive mode to download again, if you forgot something the first time.

Once again, it's not like a 60 CSx, which has two different USB profiles: Garmin GPS or USB drive.

Edited by apersson850

Once again, it's not like a 60 CSx, which has two different USB profiles: Garmin GPS or USB drive.

I hope (even though it sounds fruitless) that they will eventually make operate more like 60/76 in regards to the USB connectivity... For a handheld GPS the old way is much more preferable (to me anyways...)

Once you get used to the capabilities of the new interface style, you'll change your mind.

I guess I'm just missing what the new capabilities actually are. The old way has so many advantages:

- use PC to power GPS while working with it

- transfer data to GPS and instantly verify/check (once I see tracks/wayponts/etc. on the GPS I'll sometimes tweak the names) also easily check the custom map I just made

- use with laptop/software for tracking

- AND when needed, switch over to drive mode and transfer maps/tracks....

What are the advatages of the current (Colorado) way?

PS If the thing booted <=5 seconds I could probably live with it...

Thanks for your feedback,

dfg

Once you get used to the capabilities of the new interface style, you'll change your mind.

I guess I'm just missing what the new capabilities actually are. The old way has so many advantages:

- use PC to power GPS while working with it

- transfer data to GPS and instantly verify/check (once I see tracks/wayponts/etc. on the GPS I'll sometimes tweak the names) also easily check the custom map I just made

- use with laptop/software for tracking

- AND when needed, switch over to drive mode and transfer maps/tracks....

What are the advatages of the current (Colorado) way?

PS If the thing booted <=5 seconds I could probably live with it...

Thanks for your feedback,

dfg

Agreed, this isn't a question of getting used to a new way of doing things, its a loss of functionality. If I can't use my GPS tethered to my laptop PC for tracking that's a big deal.

I understand that Garmin is trying to leverage work they've done on automotive/motocycle units but there are some things that just don't translate well to the outdoor handheld GPS world: 1) start up time 2) not having access to maps on the PC for trip planning and 3) now this.

I'm going to clarify my question with tech support just to see what they have to say.

GO$Rs

He was obviously thinking along the lines of units like the 60 CSx. A Colorado works like all the new Garmin GPS units. Take a nüvi 760, Zumo 550 or StreetPilot c550, for example. They all run as USB drives when connected to a PC, since that's the way you go to transfer data back and forth. They aren't intended to operate as GPS pucks, hooked up to computers via USB.

In order to verify your last download you'd have to dismount anyway, as you can't operate the GPS when it's in drive mode, but you can't download anything when it's not. You can eject electronically, but you would still have to reboot the device independently, to see what you have on the GPS, then connect and reboot in drive mode to download again, if you forgot something the first time.

so this means you can't put it on the dash, tether to a notebook and get input to a mapping program?

The guy was most interested in the freeze I can reproduce with certain GPX file with a single cache. He was able to reproduce it once I emailed it to him. He claims it'll be sent off to engineering and I should hear something in a day or two.

Garmin has fixed this issue and support tells me it will be in the next software update. Between now and then the workaround is as follows (from tech support):

Here is the workaround: Rename the .gpx file to .html. You should then be able to see the language of the actual cache and the comments. This is done to remove tags that look like <!. Once this is done, you can change the file back to .gpx and use as expected.

So it seems like the issue is with certain characters in cache descriptions or in my case logs. I guess if I really cared about this then I would spend 10 minutes and write a script to strip them out, but I'll probably live with it for now.

GO$Rs

edit: fix quote

Edited by g-o-cashers

Here is the workaround: Rename the .gpx file to .html. You should then be able to see the language of the actual cache and the comments. This is done to remove tags that look like <!. Once this is done, you can change the file back to .gpx and use as expected.

So it seems like the issue is with certain characters in cache descriptions or in my case logs. I guess if I really cared about this then I would spend 10 minutes and write a script to strip them out, but I'll probably live with it for now.

Write the script! :yikes: I take it the problem is HTML code within the descriptions and logs?

Garmin has fixed this issue and support tells me it will be in the next software update. Between now and then the workaround is as follows (from tech support):

GO$Rs

A few days ago, I posted regarding my issues with performance (which looks like that will be fixed soon). the business with the coordinates not being displayed on the geocache listing. Out of curiosity, did the garmin guy make any mention of what might be included in the next software update and the timing of that software update? I returned my Colorado to REI two days ago - the combination of the performance and geocaching display (lack of coordinates, won't display current position, etc) let to my decision to return the unit. However, I'm still following this thread in the hopes that perhaps the issues can be corrected at some point.

GO$Rs

A few days ago, I posted regarding my issues with performance (which looks like that will be fixed soon). the business with the coordinates not being displayed on the geocache listing. Out of curiosity, did the garmin guy make any mention of what might be included in the next software update and the timing of that software update? I returned my Colorado to REI two days ago - the combination of the performance and geocaching display (lack of coordinates, won't display current position, etc) let to my decision to return the unit. However, I'm still following this thread in the hopes that perhaps the issues can be corrected at some point.

just listed... I don't see any direct geocaching fixes...

Change History

Changes made from version 2.20 to 2.30:

Added setting to turn off the compass.

Alarm clock will not change your backlight if it is already on.

Low battery warning shows on powerup when appropriate.

Improved DEM shading with supplemental maps.

Fixed marine colors for depth soundings and active track.

Added ability to view extended chart information and chart notes.

Improve share wirelessly connection.

Changes made from version 2.10 to 2.20:

Fixed potential shutdown when using partially discharged alkaline batteries and significant amounts of backlight.

Improved backlight usability.

Corrected potential memory leak on altimeter page.

Corrected issue that changed map setting to north up if reviewing a point on the map.

Changed the automotive view angle to match automotive products.

Added ability to exit compass calibration if calibration fails.

Improved performance and error handling of Share Wirelessly application.

Corrected tone of route turn warnings.

Added height and depth information on review pages if the information is available (related to marine maps).

Corrected drawing of spot soundings.

Improved drawing of satellite imagery in 400i and 400c.

Edited by 4America

just listed... I don't see any direct geocaching fixes...

Change History

Changes made from version 2.20 to 2.30:

Added setting to turn off the compass.

Alarm clock will not change your backlight if it is already on.

Low battery warning shows on powerup when appropriate.

Improved DEM shading with supplemental maps.

Fixed marine colors for depth soundings and active track.

Added ability to view extended chart information and chart notes.

Improve share wirelessly connection.

Changes made from version 2.10 to 2.20:

Fixed potential shutdown when using partially discharged alkaline batteries and significant amounts of backlight.

Improved backlight usability.

Corrected potential memory leak on altimeter page.

Corrected issue that changed map setting to north up if reviewing a point on the map.

Changed the automotive view angle to match automotive products.

Added ability to exit compass calibration if calibration fails.

Improved performance and error handling of Share Wirelessly application.

Corrected tone of route turn warnings.

Added height and depth information on review pages if the information is available (related to marine maps).

Corrected drawing of spot soundings.

Improved drawing of satellite imagery in 400i and 400c.

Interesting. This is posted as a 300 update but doesn't show up on the 400t page. I wonder if they are the same firmware loads? Anyone tried it yet?

I notice the release notes mention the 400i and c, maybe this is a common firmware. I'm tempted to try.

GO$Rs

Go here for the 400t firmware Update. Garmin rocks!

Version 2.30

Yep, it looks like the same file either way.

I've upgraded and verified a few things:

Shortcuts->Settings->Heading->Compass -> Off. A good start but still no Auto setting.

The backlight seems to come on to some default level on the second press of the power button.

We'll have to see if the NiMH performance is any better and if the shutdown with partially discharged alkalines fixes any issues.

Those seem to be the big four improvements against what has been reported here thus far.

GO$Rs

Edit: Added Version

Edited by g-o-cashers

Here's a funny thing.

"Corrected issue that changed map setting to north up if reviewing a point on the map."

In other words, when you scroll around it makes North up!

This problem reportedly fixed by a firmware update still occurs even after I uploaded the new update. Could it be that the changes are not working?