Talimena Drive at Ok,Ar state line?

sovwc.com

Newbee here, but Several times over the years i have been on top of Talimena Drive outside Mena Arkansas and Talihena Oklahoma. I took a picture a long time back of a marker that stood about 5 foot tall that i believe had 6 sides or 8 sides, can't remember. It had Choc. 48, M. on one side and ARK. 1877 on the other side which was the arkansas side. I have tried to find it in benchmark searches and other places to no luck.

I am new at Geocaching, even so new i found my first one my mistake while looking over an old cemetery near the red river in Oklahoma, Brown Springs..... Check it out, its worth it.

I'd like to know more info on the state marker, as if there are any caches near it, history and stuff like that.

i do believe it is at

34 degree 41'38.2" n

94 degree 27'20.0" w

Not to sure if that is right as that is off of a map on flashearth.com

Soon to be into this alot more as soon as i can figure out which GPS to get.

LaterZ

Tony

ozone@sovwc.com

I have pictures from one of these forums of several of those markers. They were either from here or the geocaching site. Since they were about 4 years ago, I suspect they are somewhere on the cacheing site.

I'll see what I can dig up on the history of the boundary survey.

j. wahl

Newbee here, but Several times over the years i have been on top of Talimena Drive outside Mena Arkansas and Talihena Oklahoma. I took a picture a long time back of a marker that stood about 5 foot tall that i believe had 6 sides or 8 sides, can't remember. It had Choc. 48, M. on one side and ARK. 1877 on the other side which was the arkansas side. I have tried to find it in benchmark searches and other places to no luck.

I am new at Geocaching, even so new i found my first one my mistake while looking over an old cemetery near the red river in Oklahoma, Brown Springs..... Check it out, its worth it.

I'd like to know more info on the state marker, as if there are any caches near it, history and stuff like that.

i do believe it is at

34 degree 41'38.2" n

94 degree 27'20.0" w

Not to sure if that is right as that is off of a map on flashearth.com

Soon to be into this alot more as soon as i can figure out which GPS to get.

LaterZ

Tony

ozone@sovwc.com

BM 73

Here is one.

The others I have looked for are long gone and I have a few more on the list as well.

There are many of them.

I do not know how many are left though.

They are the Indian Relocation Boundary Monuments.

Closest benchmark is just north.

http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.aspx?PID=EK0052

Edited by GEO*Trailblazer 1

According to the topo maps, your coordinates look pretty close. Follow this link to see what I mean. Change the map type to USGS topo and zoom all the way in. The red push pin is the location of the coordinates that you gave. See the square symbol with the dot in the center of it on the map? That shows that there is/was some sort of border monument there. If you look at the topo maps along the AR/OK border you'll see lots of these squares. There aren't many that were included in the NGS database, thus most don't show up on geocaching's website. The one that GeoTrailblazer found is one the few that do. I have family in Northwest AR and was hoping to find one of these while I was out there for Christmas, but didn't get a chance to go try it. If you still have pictures I would highly encourage you to post them to Waymarking.com as BDT suggested. That is a very cool find!

Edited by RazorbackFan