logging found caches

orangestripes119

Hello this is my first post. I'm new to goecaching and have been immediately hooked. I've found about thirty in the last week on my way around the area while at work. My uncle(a member of geocache) recommended me logging my finds. Is there another way to log them other than clicking on each one and marking it. Seems like I would be able to download my finds or am I wrong. Thanks, Orangestripes119

Adding the logs is very important- when you get deeper into it you'll see how cachers use your info for the find. i.e. if the cache has had several DNF's (did not finds) lately, it has probably been muggled (stolen). If you log in "coords were off about 40' ". cachers will know to expand their search. You NEVER want to give away the location, but cachers will use every speck of info to get the find. But if you give it away- like say it's in the old stump, don't be surprised if your log is deleted by the owner. Hope that helps.

Lee

My uncle(a member of geocache) recommended me logging my finds.

Your uncle is a smart man. The way I look at it, the owner spent the time, effort and money to hide the cache. The least we can do is let him know we found it and logging the find online is the best way to do that.

Some other benefits of logging online for you....

- a permanent record of caches you've found. No need to go back in a year only to see your name already in the logbook.

- You can remove logged finds from PQs so you don't need to waste waypoint space in your GPS for caches you already found.

- You can run a PQ of all of your found caches and use it to make a map of your finds.

Benefits for others...

- Your log will provide other geocachers (and the cache owner) with an update on the status of the cache.

My uncle(a member of geocache) recommended me logging my finds.

Your uncle is a smart man. The way I look at it, the owner spent the time, effort and money to hide the cache. The least we can do is let him know we found it and logging the find online is the best way to do that.

Some other benefits of logging online for you....

- a permanent record of caches you've found. No need to go back in a year only to see your name already in the logbook.

- You can remove logged finds from PQs so you don't need to waste waypoint space in your GPS for caches you already found.

- You can run a PQ of all of your found caches and use it to make a map of your finds.

Benefits for others...

- Your log will provide other geocachers (and the cache owner) with an update on the status of the cache.

Good idea :)

I recently saw the Geocaching Express Logger (http://boulter.com/geocaching/logger/) in a FAQ.

From the site,

This tool allows you to use to quickly log your geocaching adventures on Geocaching.com. No more searching for caches and clicking around the geocaching website. Just list the caches you've found, edit your log and post! Cache lists can simply be Geocaching waypoints (GCXXXX) or from CacheMate, an excellent Geocaching application for Palm OS.

I haven't used this before and I'm a little tentative in sharing my geocaching.com login on another site, but it may be what you are looking for. Has anyone else used this site?

I recently saw the Geocaching Express Logger (http://boulter.com/geocaching/logger/) in a FAQ.

From the site,

This tool allows you to use to quickly log your geocaching adventures on Geocaching.com. No more searching for caches and clicking around the geocaching website. Just list the caches you've found, edit your log and post! Cache lists can simply be Geocaching waypoints (GCXXXX) or from CacheMate, an excellent Geocaching application for Palm OS.

I guess that would be OK if you like having cut-and-paste identical logs for all your cache finds.

I can't help but think that if you can't find the time to log your finds one by one, you are probably finding too many caches and might need to cut back. :unsure:

I guess that would be OK if you like having cut-and-paste identical logs for all your cache finds.

I can't help but think that if you can't find the time to log your finds one by one, you are probably finding too many caches and might need to cut back. :)

I haven't used their service, so I can't be sure...

The page lists a "Log Prefix" and a "Log Postfix", so it makes me think you can have a common header and footer for each log and then it might prompt you for something specific for each individual cache.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Hello this is my first post. I'm new to goecaching and have been immediately hooked. I've found about thirty in the last week on my way around the area while at work. My uncle(a member of geocache) recommended me logging my finds. Is there another way to log them other than clicking on each one and marking it. Seems like I would be able to download my finds or am I wrong. Thanks, Orangestripes119

When you start logging your finds, you might see some logs on the page that look like this.

icon_smile.gif TNLNSL. TFTC.

Just because others log with the acronyms for "Took Nothing, Left Nothing, Signed Log. Thanks for the cache." Don't think that is the way it should be done. Cache owners really appreciate some "personalization" of the logs. So, even if you find a cache under a lamppost skirt in a parking lot, you can still tell a little story about the weather that day or the difficulty of getting a parking place or how long you had to wait out a muggle in a nearby car. idea.gif

Think of the logs as an "online journal" of your caching adventures. If you put in details, you'll be able to remember that cache and that day when you go back to review your logs a year or two from now. :yikes:

I am sure each and every one of them that you found has some unique story that goes with it. Share the story with us. That is one of the most compelling aspects of Geocaching. The thousands and thousands of stories that we all share with one another.

Yes it is. When I was planning to host and attend events out of town, and my friends thought I was crazy for going to hang out with "All Those Strangers" I described the process to them, and how so many of us "Know" each other through our shared experiences. Welcome "Stranger".