Prank cache

Fan4

I'd like to do a cache that consists of some type of prank (i.e. jelly-bean can jumping snake or something similar that gives a good surprise), but have some reservations as I don't want to be responsible for someone with a weak ticker checking out at one of my caches. Anyone seen any similar caches or have any thoughts on such a cache?

I've heard of a few but I would find such a cache to be in-poor taste.

Lots of ways to "prank" a cache without scaring or surprising anybody.

Did a cache in Nevada called Rusty bucket. From the obvious parking their were about 20 such buckets in view - all with notes saying "not this one". Oddly enough the only bucket within 20 foot of the coordinates was the right one!! Some folks trying to take an interstate shortcut to this one got caught frequently.

Seen several "screamer caches", seen ones that have had fake bugs/snakes. Never had anything jump out at me, would be hard to reset it after each find (can't count on the cachers to reset it for you). My very first hide had a couple of distraction/decoy caches.

I've always wanted to make a lamp post screamer. I've got the parts, just have not gone through with it, too many issues that would cause concern.

Edited by bogleman

We have a cache that makes noise when opened. We basically cannibalized and regurgitated the mechanism from one of those greeting cards from Hallmark that make noise when opened. It's a surprise, but not one that should inflict harm upon the frail. :huh:

We are considering placing a more alarming cache in the spring, but we'll make sure the cache page includes a warning that it could be startling, and not for folks whose tickers could go off the deep end.

I'd like to do a cache that consists of some type of prank (i.e. jelly-bean can jumping snake or something similar that gives a good surprise), but have some reservations as I don't want to be responsible for someone with a weak ticker checking out at one of my caches. Anyone seen any similar caches or have any thoughts on such a cache?

There is one cache outside Halifax NS that has a small device in it that lets out a cat 'meow' when the cache is opened. Given that the cache is located somewhat off the beaten track, and given that NS has various species of wildcat, it is a bit of a momentary rush of adrenaline if you're unaware of the device. In fact, when my wife and I opened it up, we both scurried back about 10 ft to evaluate exactly what was going on. I'm sure it would have looked pretty funny if there were anyone watching, and we had a good sheepish laugh about it.

Anyone looking through the logs of the cache, though, would have expected something. Given that this was one of a run of 40 for the day, we weren't too careful about reading all the logs.

In the end, we didn't see anything wrong with it, and still get a chuckle over the experience.

A>

I know a couple local caches that have the spring-loaded snakes in them..

I'd feel bad if someone had a coronary because of it.

***If this is the future of geocaching, then I'm going back to the hobby I came from:

Metal Detecting ***

I used to do a lot of metal detecting....until they started to get banned from parks because many people never covered back the holes they dug.

You speak the truth, Drooling......All it takes is a few to ruin it for all of us, be it Geocaching, MDing or any outdoor sport/hobby!!

I've always wanted to make a lamp post screamer. I've got the parts, just have not gone through with it, too many issues that would cause concern.

A really cool one would be to rig an electronic flash and a speaker with a sudden electrical buzz and pop noise which is triggered when anyone lifts the lamppost skirt. (GET PERMISSION!)

*lifts skirt*

BUZZZZZAAAAP!!!!! *bright flash*

Oh the fun!

I can't believe the nay sayers here! Here are two of that type that I am familiar with:

One cache has an electronic noise maker (from a pet toy) that plays a versiion of "I think I love you!" when you open it. Since its right next to a fairly busy trail, it has a shock reaction.

Another cache that requires finders to sit on a log in a busy park, reach into a hollow in a tree, only to have their fingers touch a fur (fake) covered container.

Not one single negative log and very many very positive ones in over two years on both of those. Its called "theatre" and people love it.

PS: I've also found a spring-loaded "snake" type of cache (a LPM) and not only did I love it, but all finders so far have. Go for it!!

By the way, if any of you really believe that someone can have a coronary (heart attack) by simply being scared by something as has been mentioned... please do a little research.

While you may be right, I still think it's just sensible to recognize that you have no idea who the next person to find that pranked cache will be, and thus you have no idea how they will react to it. When I finally start placing my own caches, my principle objective will be to ensure that the cacher comes away happy with the whole experience. Certainly some people will get a kick out of a pranked cache, but I have no doubt that others won't, and I don't want to be responsible for that dissatisfaction. While I recognize that not every cacher will come away thrilled with each of my caches, I don't want it to be due to a decision that I made about its contents.

Another point is that people are likely to be logging their caches either here or (heaven forbid) on some other geocaching site. I think this exposes two points; first, that the prank will be revealed in the logs (and thus no longer be a prank), and second that one's reputation as a cacher (for whatever it's worth) may be damaged by cachers expressing their irritation in their log.

Speaking of damage...I think there's also some chance that an irritated cacher might either break your pranking device, or, even worse, destroy your cache if they find the prank to be in bad taste. Certainly I would never do such a thing, but I refer you again back to my first point re: "you just never know."

- Mark

Those of you with negative feedback, have you experienced such a cache?

I've seen several in my time, and have yet to read a negative comment in the logs. I have found them to be a pleasant diversion. The coiled up snake in the can is a popular one. The buzzar in the ammo can is another.

:) I'm sorry if my posts came off as Negative; here's how I look at it:

In reviewing the caching experiences I've had so far, if a surprise cache had been there to greet me, and I had been startled and jumped back, I could have twisted an ankle, broke a bone, got a poke in the eye from a branch, or fallen into a stream. And this is based on just 30 finds so far. :)

Safety & Common Sense is my motto; Just don't want to hear about anyone being hurt due to someone else's idea of a cute trick. If you think this is Negative, SORRY :)

I have a cache that's not exactly pranked, but a great decoy.

We had an old local favorite here that was recently archived. I put a new one close to the original hide, and a decoy container in the original hide spot. People pull up, leave the GPS in the car, and go check the original hiding spot. Then, they grumble as they go back to the car, get the GPS and start hunting the right way. Unfortunately, many people commented about it in their logs, in spite of a request not to, so I had to re-locate it.

We also have a local cache near the waste water treatment plant, called 'What's that smell?' that has an appropriate noise maker inside, activated by light. Startled me when I found it, that's for sure! That explains the smell! :)

We had an old local favorite here that was recently archived. I put a new one close to the original hide, and a decoy container in the original hide spot. People pull up, leave the GPS in the car, and go check the original hiding spot. Then, they grumble as they go back to the car, get the GPS and start hunting the right way. Unfortunately, many people commented about it in their logs, in spite of a request not to, so I had to re-locate it.

We also have a local cache near the waste water treatment plant, called 'What's that smell?' that has an appropriate noise maker inside, activated by light. Startled me when I found it, that's for sure! That explains the smell! :)

A local cacher here placed a cache with a identical decoy container on the same structure. There are lots of comments about finding the decoy, none of them negative.

He also has a cache that is a large plastic container that has a smaller round container inside with a label "Special Trade Items: Please take only one". Unscrew the top and a "spring" snake pops out. All of the logs which mention it are favorable as well.

I wrote asking for permission to place a cache on some private property (it's at a yacht club). The location is at the gravel parking lot next to a very wooded area with a really pretty stream and large waterfall. Coincidently there is a light pole with a liftable skirt within 20' of a great spot where I can easily place an ammo can. If I ever hear back from the property owners I'll place a cache there and make sure to put a decoy key holder in the light post.

In reviewing the caching experiences I've had so far, if a surprise cache had been there to greet me, and I had been startled and jumped back, I could have twisted an ankle, broke a bone, got a poke in the eye from a branch, or fallen into a stream. And this is based on just 30 finds so far. :)

Safety & Common Sense is my motto; Just don't want to hear about anyone being hurt due to someone else's idea of a cute trick. If you think this is Negative, SORRY :)

You could hurt yourself on *any* cache, prank or not. That's just part of the game - of life.

I had a snake in a can cache and it had positive logs on it. Some folks just need to lighten up a little! :)

Edit to add that after a few years of caching and a couple thousand finds its nice to find something different once in a while. Hopefully you'll stick with the game and find some good ones.

Edited by 9Key

I understand the concerns posted and will say that i thought about it long and hard before finally placing our Snakey cache. We had found a couple of similar caches and really enjoyed them (yes, they made us jump) and figured others would have fun with ours. Besides the title itself kinda giving a heads up, we also added wording to the description that i thought might give finders a hint of what to expect or at least a feeling that this cache was somehow different.

I've been fortunate in that i've gotten to enjoy watching a few of the finders get this one. Most had a feeling of what to expect but it still made them jump when the lid came off. Yes, there were a couple of curse words aimed at me :), but according to the logs, almost everyone has had fun with the cache.. :)

You could also be startled by a bee that just happened to be checking out a particularly sexy flower next to the cache and do the very same things.

Since you are posting to this thread, you obviously know there is a possibility that you might encounter a prank cache. Therefore if you are not prepared for the possibility, it is no one's fault but your own (and of course the maker of the log book paper in the offending cache if you bring your injuries to the attention of a lawyer :) )

Everyone has their likes and dislikes. This type of particular cache is no different. If you'd enjoy placing a cache like this then it's likely because you are in a group of people that would like this type of cache. I see no good reason to exclude this kind of cache based on the feedback so far...it's seems to be typical personal preference criticisms.

The operant word here is sadism.

Speaking of damage...I think there's also some chance that an irritated cacher might either break your pranking device, or, even worse, destroy your cache if they find the prank to be in bad taste. Certainly I would never do such a thing, but I refer you again back to my first point re: "you just never know."

If I ever have the misfortune to run across such a cache, I would beat it with a stick, then with a rock, and then toss it down the nearest slope. Just to make sure that it is dead.

I do not deal well with sadists.

The operant word here is sadism.

If I ever have the misfortune to run across such a cache, I would beat it with a stick, then with a rock, and then toss it down the nearest slope. Just to make sure that it is dead.

I do not deal well with sadists.

Rather sadistic way to deal with that poor innocent cache dontcha think?

SO you have no problem with vandelizing a cache just becuase you do not like it.

I have two caches that are alltoids container with window screamers in them that sound off when they are opened. There have been no logs negitives in them. :huh:

When I have met the cachers that have found them at local events they tell me how much fun they were to find. :unsure:

Anyone that might be week enough to have a heart attack from finding a cache like that is not going to be healthy enought to walk accross the street without droping dead from the strain of the walk. :blink:

Anyone that might be week enough to have a heart attack from finding a cache like that is not going to be healthy enought to walk accross the street without droping dead from the strain of the walk. :unsure:

I love "urban legends" or "old wives' tales" like "the heart attack from surprise."

I like Mike McConnell's (talk show host out of Cincinnati) take on these type of myths- ferinstance the "cat in a tree" thing... he says "Cats get down. Otherwise, where are all the cat skeletons in the trees?"

The bodies of all the frightened cachers are just lining the trails aren't they? :blink:

Some people just get stuck on stupid
Edited by Confucius' Cat

We also have a local cache near the waste water treatment plant, called 'What's that smell?' that has an appropriate noise maker inside, activated by light. Startled me when I found it, that's for sure! That explains the smell! :unsure:

If many people are commenting on the decoy in their logs then they are obviously not reading the logs before beginning their hunt or they (everyone after the first person) would know about it and not need to comment on it. I for one, don't read any logs until I've either found it or am ready to post a DNF. Therefore, comments to not spoil the decoy/surprise effect.

Wow, you folks are sure sensitive today. Apparantly you want boring ol pill bottles stuck in the crotch of a tree and nothing interesting. Stay away from my neck of the woods, cause we have lots of caches that would surprise you (including exactly the cache mentioned by the OP)

According to the negative nay sayers that I see here, anything that surprises you while caching is a bad thing and may give you a heart attack.

Good thing you've never reached into a log or looked in a log and found a critter asleep. I'm sure that would ruin your day. Pesky wildlife. I've been startled by rabbits, chipmunks, squirrels, foxes, coyotes, snakes, ducks, a Bald Eagle, flying alligators and manatees. Good thing I'm not sensitive.

I like Mike McConnell's (talk show host out of Cincinnati) take on these type of myths- ferinstance the "cat in a tree" thing... he says "Cats get down. Otherwise, where are all the cat skeletons in the trees?"

I haven't seen a cat skeleton, but my dad did find a squirrel skeleton in a tree once.

No doubt the late squirrel is still waiting for the fire department to come to the rescue? :unsure:

I guess some people are think finding a film can under a lamp post skirt, an altoids tin by a dumpster,

or a key holder on a power transformer to be a fun cache to find.

Gee they must lead boring lives :unsure:

Maybe some do. Why wouldn't you want your cache to appeal to them too, rather than assuming that everyone likes the same sort of caches that you like?

I guess some people are think finding a film can under a lamp post skirt, an altoids tin by a dumpster,

or a key holder on a power transformer to be a fun cache to find.

Gee they must lead boring lives :unsure:

Maybe some do. Why wouldn't you want your cache to appeal to them too, rather than assuming that everyone likes the same sort of caches that you like?

Geocaching is in need of variety in cache hides, there are very few caches that are memorable. There is too much vanilla. Lets have some Rocky Road or Marble Fudge.

You are not going to see some one say “that was a cool lamp post cache at wally world” or “that was a great hide in the bushes full or trash and drug paraphernalia and shot gun shells”

Edited by JohnnyVegas
Geocaching is in need of variety in cache hides, there are very few caches that are memorable. There is too much vanilla. Lets have some Rocky Road or Marble Fudge.

You are not going to see some one say “that was a cool lamp post cache at wally world” or “that was a great hide in the bushes full or trash and drug paraphernalia and shot gun shells”

I can't help but agree with that, but in my view there's a difference between variety derived from a quality location (i.e. a nice view) or a deceptive hide as opposed to variety derived from disrupting one's joy in having found a cache. Once I do start placing my own caches (yes, I'm still a newbie), I want them to appeal to my target audience as much as possible, which to me means not startling the finder when they open the cache.

That said, please note that I used the term "target audience." I phrased it that way because once I do start placing, I plan to do a few in locations that only rock climbers will be able to get to. The locations will be appropriately marked as Ter5 difficulty, and my cache descriptions will make it clear that special skills are required to get to the caches. Yes, I'll be limiting the number of people who can get to them, but people will know ahead of time what they're getting into. This, to me, is variety in cache hides.

I can't help but agree with that, but in my view there's a difference between variety derived from a quality location (i.e. a nice view) or a deceptive hide as opposed to variety derived from disrupting one's joy in having found a cache. Once I do start placing my own caches (yes, I'm still a newbie), I want them to appeal to my target audience as much as possible, which to me means not startling the finder when they open the cache.

That said, please note that I used the term "target audience." I phrased it that way because once I do start placing, I plan to do a few in locations that only rock climbers will be able to get to. The locations will be appropriately marked as Ter5 difficulty, and my cache descriptions will make it clear that special skills are required to get to the caches. Yes, I'll be limiting the number of people who can get to them, but people will know ahead of time what they're getting into. This, to me, is variety in cache hides.

Don't assume that you will be placing the perfect cache when you do indeed start placing caches. Just when you think you've got it all figured out, your indended "Target Audience" may very well have issues with your cache placement.

I sure hope you're not offended when your "Target Audience" dislikes your new cache.

Bottom line is you can't please everyone with any cache, so don't even try. Plant the caches YOU like to plant.