Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
riston2

Will Wherigo Support Come to Other Stand Alone GPS Units?

Wherigo is already supported on Pocket PCs and the Colorado, but I was wondering if it would come to any other stand alone GPS units. I have a non-GPS Pocket PC and a Garmin 60CSx so there is no way I am going to get a Colorado or PPC. I do want to play Wherigo though so I was wondering if my unit and others would be supported. :huh:

Unfortunately earlier GPS units don't support Wherigo (and won't). They just don't have the required memory and cpu space for it.

Unfortunately earlier GPS units don't support Wherigo (and won't). They just don't have the required memory and cpu space for it.

OK. :huh: I'll have to settle for the Emulator. Thanks! :(

OK. :huh: I'll have to settle for the Emulator. Thanks! :(

You could use your cell phone and have someone at home running the emulator with Google Maps while you were in the field. They could easily tell you what's going on, and relay coordinates to you of the spots you need to move to. Then you could feed them the answers to questions from those spots to get to the next stages. It would actually be kind of fun to do that!

OK. :( I'll have to settle for the Emulator. Thanks! :(

You could use your cell phone and have someone at home running the emulator with Google Maps while you were in the field. They could easily tell you what's going on, and relay coordinates to you of the spots you need to move to. Then you could feed them the answers to questions from those spots to get to the next stages. It would actually be kind of fun to do that!

That would be fun! :huh:

DUDE!! Long-distance Wherigo-ing!!! That would so rock!

:huh:

Sign me up for the first international cartridge exchange. :(

Heh. I'm seeing a location being relayed back to someone at home running the emulator and the person in the field's location showing up on the Google map. That is pretty cool.

Reminds me of some of those webcam caches where you have to tell someone where you are standing so they can pan and zoom the camera in to find you.

If it came down to that, I'd get a laptop and hook my cell phone up to it so I can get online. Bring that into the field and use it. But with the laptops I buy, they would only last 40-60 mins. with the battery (sagernotebooks.com - look at their quad core models).

Anyway, I went to REI tonight and placed a special order for the Colorado. Apparently, they said the main store only has 119 or so left. Do I detect a potential shortage of supply?

I can't wait to play with the new toy and build test cartridges for it. Yeah, I know; one of these days I need to come up with a high quality idea for a cartridge and post it to the site.