REDUCING THE LOAD on Grounspeak servers AND give MORE to premium users

Leboyf

I'm not saying I don't know that it will - however, they haven't shown that it will affect them. (and TPTB haven't said that it would either).

... snip

But that's not true.

Several times in this thread the following quote from OpinionNate has been quoted.

The only changes to the PQ system planned for release when the new Phoenix project is completed will be the introduction of instant downloads. There are some details that have yet to be finalized concerning the storage of those PQs on Geocaching.com, but those issues will be worked out.

For those of you who are not satisfied with the limits set by the Pocket Query generator there are numerous ways to refine your searches; many of which have been pointed out in this thread. There are important reasons for Groundspeak setting those limits, foremost being that the site performs better when they are enforced, but also because we want you to visit the site frequently to retrieve fresh data. I'm sorry if that inconveniences some of you.

It seems that if the site performs better when the limits are enforced, then one could argue that the site doesn't perform as well when the limits are not enforced and thus, users are affected.

Edited by Motorcycle_Mama

Wow, you go away for a little while and when you come back, the same old thread is still going but everyone on both sides have been reduced to temper tantrums....

I think we should start a new thread. Five pages is getting too long to read through. Half of page four doesn't even deal with the topic anymore. I think the moderators even gave up on keeping you guys on track. I think the title of the new thread should be:

The Pocket Query Limit: A Slow Spiral Into Insanity

I'm not saying I don't know that it will - however, they haven't shown that it will affect them. (and TPTB haven't said that it would either).

... snip

But that's not true.

Several times in this thread the following quote from OpinionNate has been quoted.

The only changes to the PQ system planned for release when the new Phoenix project is completed will be the introduction of instant downloads. There are some details that have yet to be finalized concerning the storage of those PQs on Geocaching.com, but those issues will be worked out.

For those of you who are not satisfied with the limits set by the Pocket Query generator there are numerous ways to refine your searches; many of which have been pointed out in this thread. There are important reasons for Groundspeak setting those limits, foremost being that the site performs better when they are enforced, but also because we want you to visit the site frequently to retrieve fresh data. I'm sorry if that inconveniences some of you.

It seems that if the site performs better when the limits are enforced, then one could argue that the site doesn't perform as well when the limits are not enforced and thus, users are affected.

But since 5 PQ's is all we have ever been allowed, short of some kind of offline testing (which everyone says they do, but we never see, so we never know if that was done or not - and offline testing often does, but doesn't always, mirror the actual use of the site in real life and time), we really don't know that it would have that adverse an effect.

Also, to the person who said they already have a program of 5 for $3, 10 for $6, etc... they don't. You would have to have multiple accounts. What about having one account with the option for 5 for $3, 10 for $6, etc... that would make more sense, and make them more $$.

But since 5 PQ's is all we have ever been allowed, short of some kind of offline testing (which everyone says they do, but we never see, so we never know if that was done or not - and offline testing often does, but doesn't always, mirror the actual use of the site in real life and time), we really don't know that it would have that adverse an effect.
Of course we can't see it, because it is off-line. :blink:

Besides, do you honestly think that calling TPTB liars is really going to further your cause?

Also, to the person who said they already have a program of 5 for $3, 10 for $6, etc... they don't. You would have to have multiple accounts. What about having one account with the option for 5 for $3, 10 for $6, etc... that would make more sense, and make them more $$.

Having multiple accounts is the current program. It would be slightly easier for you if you could buy a super-account, instead, but only marginally so.
In no way will any of this ever Reduce The LOAD as each and every PQ I imagine is personalized by each and every PM who generates one.

The preset PQs won't be personalized. One Preset per region. Please go back to the Original Post for more explanation.

What's the real reason for this original request?

See post 84

See post 110

Interesting and I somehow missed #84 in my reading of this thread. Boo-hoo, so you can't do that state in 1 day anymore, what's wrong with waiting 2.5 days for all those necessary PQ's to update?

But #110 has me confused so I won't comment on it. Well actually I'll say, do you know anyone who needs to be up to date to this very day, besides yourself of course? I can't imagine anyone wanting the pre-canned state or region wide PQ instead of their doing their own PQ for their own smaller region, or their whole stat with the method I've used in the past which for Massachusetts was 4 PQ's for ALL caches unfound by me when I was last a Premium Member.

I like the idea.

As far as loads on servers I don't know anything about it, I can leave that to techies to figure out.

I travel from Ontario to Quebec routinely and have to spend alot of time setting up PQ's depending which way I go.

It would make it easier if i could get it all in 1 PQ for Ontario and 1 for Quebec.

Load it on the laptop and drive.

If I see a cache nearby I can do it, if there is one that sounds interesting I can detour off my route and do it.

I am sure if GC.com wanted to they could easily do it.

Would I have to pay more? Perhaps

Would I be willing to? That also depends.

I can get all my founds every week so I can't how the state wide PQ would be any different.

I am sure if GC.com wanted to they could easily do it.

Would I have to pay more? Perhaps

Would I be willing to? That also depends.

Realizing this thread went way past the three or four post necessary to address the issue, some things may have got lost iun the quagmire.

GC currently does have a process in place if you have a need for more than the 70,000 caches a month you get with your current account. If it is a one time need, it costs an extra $3 for a month to get another PM account that will get you an additional 70,000 caches for that month. If it is an ongoing need, you can save even more money and get a yearly account that will cost just $2.50 for that same 70,000 extra a month.

You can do this as many times as you need and get as many caches as you like.

I wish they were all this easy to solve.

[snip]

if you have a need for more than the 70,000 caches a month you get with your current account.

[snip

Cut the crap. No one wants zillions of caches ;)

Or 70,000 caches per month.

It's all about, in my case, having an update set of about 5000 to cover an area where go very often.

Area = Preset PQ

Edited by Leboyf

[snip]

if you have a need for more than the 70,000 caches a month you get with your current account.

[snip

Cut the crap. No one wants zillions of caches :)

Or 70,000 caches per month.

It's all about, in my case, having an update set of about 5000 to cover an area where go very often.

Area = Preset PQ

You can get 5000 caches easily every two days using "Date Placed" PQs for the area you travel to frequently.

Every week, I refresh my GSAK databases with more than 3000 caches by running seven "Date Placed" PQs. By using the filters already discussed in this thread, I have relatively-current data every time I head out on a caching adventure. If I wanted 5000 caches, I would just have to change the center point for the Date Placed PQs and adjust the dates to get that many.

It is really very easy . . . just give it a try. ;)

As for me, I don't want a PQ with more than 500 caches in it. My dialup connection is so slow, any files larger than that, including my "All Finds" PQ, are almost impossible to download . . . :)

You can get 5000 caches easily every two days using "Date Placed" PQs for the area you travel to frequently.

Every week, I refresh my GSAK databases with more than 3000 caches by running seven "Date Placed" PQs. By using the filters already discussed in this thread, I have relatively-current data every time I head out on a caching adventure. If I wanted 5000 caches, I would just have to change the center point for the Date Placed PQs and adjust the dates to get that many.

It is really very easy . . . just give it a try. ;)

That's exactly what I do. The area is getting smaller and smaller.

I need more then 10 PQs. That's the problem. It takes time to set PQs by date placed.

Pretty soon, the coverable won't be acceptable.

I'm looking into the future.

As for me, I don't want a PQ with more than 500 caches in it. My dialup connection is so slow, any files larger than that, including my "All Finds" PQ, are almost impossible to download . . . :)

I don't want this option (5x500) to disappear.

By the way, the idea of region wide Presets WILL NOT affect you. At all…

Edited by Leboyf

I need more then 10 PQs. That's the problem. It takes time to set PQs by date placed.

How much time does it take to set up those PQs? I bet setting up PQs to get 5000 caches would take less time than you've spent reading and posting in this thread . . . ;)

Once they are set up, they shouldn't need adjusting more than once every couple of months, and GSAK has a Macro to help once you have set them up the first time.

OK once we start with the "Cut the carp" statements it tells me that tempers are starting to rise. I'm shutting this one down for 24 hours to let those that are getting too involved with this topic a chance to settle down.

See you all on Wednesday.

<24 hours later>

OK as long as it stays calm and polite then this thread can stay open. If not we will close it for good. Its up to all that post.

Edited by Michael

If you actually spent more time caching in that Area then the numbers of 'Unfound By You' caches would actually go down, i.e. the area a PQ would cover would actually increase. Stop posting to these forums and go caching.

But you could always move to an area where millions of people don't plant millions of lamp post caches every day. Or make your PQ avoid 1,1 to 2,2 type caches if that's too hard for you to find with a GPSr alone.

P.S. I'm always "Up To Date" exactly every time I look at geocaching.com.

Edited by trainlove

I maintain an offline database, too. It ain't easy to keep it up to date with the fewest PQs possible to reduce server strain. I like being able to go anywhere within my stomping grounds at a moment's notice.

There are several upgrades I'd like to see, one of which is a new one: bulk ignore. The filters provided by PQ aren't enough to remove the caches I want to remove--they simply aren't powerful enough. If there were single page that I could assess and place whatever caches I want on my ignore list that would be great. Even better if GSAK could assess that page so I could create my filter, press a button, and not get those caches in my PQs again.

Then again, for folks like me, getting only and all those logs written in the last 7 days (not log dates, but actually written in the last 7 days)--including all archive logs--would reduce the load by around 75%! Add not sending descriptions or non-essential info and it would drop 90% or more! I've mentioned these before and thought it would be worth it. Guess not. So, I'll continue to do what I'm doing.

I agree with lboyf 100 percent and the rest of you are missing the point. I maintain a large data base so I can hook my gps to my laptop in the middle of nowhere and up load the area I am in and be ready to cache in a moments notice I would love a state wide PG

Yes I am missing the point. I can do what you describe with a PQ in my inbox in less than 5 minutes. All I need is Internet which is easy enough anywhere but the most rural parts of the American West. Even there small town Libraries and motels have access.

Trimble's Geocache Navigator also mostly solves the issue.

Really, all you need to keep an up-to-date database is print out each new cache and place it in your binder. You don't really need PQs at all. You just need access to the internet, a printer, a ream or two of paper, and few hours to spare. No problem.

:ph34r:

I'm all about convenience. I like the way I've got my PQs automated. It's manageable. It's not efficient, but then again, apparently Groundspeak doesn't care if it's not efficient. About two thirds to three quarters of a week's worth of PQs don't update the database and are simply discarded. It's a waste.

I agree with lboyf 100 percent and the rest of you are missing the point. I maintain a large data base so I can hook my gps to my laptop in the middle of nowhere and up load the area I am in and be ready to cache in a moments notice I would love a state wide PG.

We are not the ones missing the point. The PQ is not for off-line database maintenance. That it is laborious for you is a personal problem. Sorry, but that is a fact and something you will have to deal with. I travel all over the country and pull PQ's all the time. There are so many WIFI locations now, my favorite being a certain bread company chain. I can pull a PQ from their free WIFI and get it to my GPS by the time I am done with soup and sandwich. I never use GSAK for geocaching and have no problems.

The PQ is not for off-line database maintenance.
Then can you tell me why there is an option for "Updated in the last 7 days?"
It is a way for reviewers to track changes to cache pages.

Why would that be available to us "common folk?"

Also, why would the function of the "Updated in the last 7 days" selection be changed from only the cache info to cache info and any log sometime back around late '04? I always assumed it was because of user requests back then.