Two of NJ's oldest caches have been archived

nikcap

The Cobra Cache was hidden on 6/25/2001, and had a somewhat tough run with 131 Finds and 26 DNF. The 'tudes where a bit off and it gave some hunters problems.

Then, there is the infamous Paulie Walnuts. Hidden on 7/11/2001, 114 Finds and 4 DNF's

But that's only half the story. Paulie apparently went into hiding between Aug 13 2003 and Feb 29 2004 when it was found by Hartclimbs in this amazing tale.

Everyone darken their GPS for a moment of remembrance of these classic caches ... OK, go find some cache!

Edited by ekitt10

Wow. Been over 6yrs since I found those 2, and I still remember both like it was yesterday. Paulie was quite the adventure done at night in the days before paperless caching, hehehe. Looks like it's been gone almost a year. Then again, it's come back from the dead once already.

HMM, when I first saw this title I thought maybe Gerbil Cache was archived! WHEW! Have thoughts of maybe making a small road trip and making it #200 in the spring sometime......

I thought the same thing, and panicked for a second. Gerbil is a good medium-effort hike and a worthy pilgrimage for NJ cachers. It's also right across the street from my home eight months out of the year, and one of my running routes takes me right past it, so if anyone hears about maintenance issues with it, I'll gladly swing by and spruce it up.

The Cobra Cache was hidden on 6/25/2001, and had a somewhat tough run with 131 Finds and 26 DNF. The 'tudes where a bit off and it gave some hunters problems.

Then, there is the infamous Paulie Walnuts. Hidden on 7/11/2001, 114 Finds and 4 DNF's

But that's only half the story. Paulie apparently went into hiding between Aug 13 2003 and Feb 29 2004 when it was found by Hartclimbs in this amazing tale.

Everyone darken their GPS for a moment of remembrance of these classic caches ... OK, go find some cache!

Wow Nik - you have a good memory! Hope you guys are doing well!

I think Mr. Magoo's log (the first re-finder after unarchival after 1.5 years) was an amazing tale also. He found log entries from plenty of muggle finds from 2003, including the park staff, and pretty much solved the mystery of what happened.

Pretty much all newer cachers posted the recent MIA logs and SBA's. One of you old-timers should check to see if it's really not there. Now does this fall under the jurisdiction of Central NJ, or Northern NJ? :)

I think Mr. Magoo's log (the first re-finder after unarchival after 1.5 years) was an amazing tale also. He found log entries from plenty of muggle finds from 2003, including the park staff, and pretty much solved the mystery of what happened.

Pretty much all newer cachers posted the recent MIA logs and SBA's. One of you old-timers should check to see if it's really not there. Now does this fall under the jurisdiction of Central NJ, or Northern NJ? :)

That's north of 78, so that's North Jersey turf ... unless you go by BrianSnat's definition, than everything below 80 is South Jersey :D

But, I was thinking the same thing about check out the scene up there at Hackle Barney.

Perhaps the spiders noted in Weathercastnow's log walked away with the cache! :):ph34r:

Pretty much all newer cachers posted the recent MIA logs and SBA's. One of you old-timers should check to see if it's really not there. Now does this fall under the jurisdiction of Central NJ, or Northern NJ? :ph34r:

Paulie Walnuts is a very easy find. If it's being DNFed, it is unlikely that it's there.

Cobra is a different story. Coords were way off and there are a lot of DNFs throughout its history because of that. It could still be there, but I recall when I found it years ago that I didn't think it was long for this world because it was so poorly hidden, along a popular walking path. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.

That's a shame Paulie Walnuts was a fun hike and being rediscovered by Hart's kids was a fun story. Anyway we can get em up and running again or are they kuput?

Unlikely that they would be re-activated, unless the original owner asks. Nothing keeping anyone from placing a Paulie Walnuts II though.

Edited by briansnat

That's a shame Paulie Walnuts was a fun hike and being rediscovered by Hart's kids was a fun story. Anyway we can get em up and running again or are they kuput?

Unlikely that they would be re-activated, unless the original owner asks. Nothing keeping anyone from placing a Paulie Walnuts II though.

I am not sticking my hand in there again unless they come which reminds me where is the "Beware of millions of insects icon"

11745fcb-e8a9-4a28-8251-3b94a8ad8c72.jpg

....unless I get a smiley that is......