can't cache.

Bad_CRC

Mainly, its lack of free time that keeps me from going out caching. Too many responsibilities that must come first. That's why my find count doesn't measure up to my geocaching enthusiasm.

Sometimes, as a few others have stated, its feeling uncomfortable to go out in certain areas alone. I usually have my dog with me but, even then, I get creeped out in some places.

My dog is sick and if he can no longer go out with me...I'm not sure what I'm going to do. :yikes: Caching totally alone will be sad and even more creepy.

My knees. All the cartilage is gone, and the knees are bone on bone when I walk. Most days it is just painful, but doesn't stop me. However, there have been some days I wanted to go out, but could hardly walk to the car.

Same here - Left knee & Right anklegave me a 31% disability but I still do it. Just need some recovery time and a bunch of Ibuprofin.

Heck, check this out.. Nemesis - http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCRZBD

I just can't kneel down much.

What stops you from caching?

weather? time? cache buddies unavailable?

Normally, what stops me is a lack of caches that look interesting within easy driving distance.

But right now outsite it's "Wind Chill: -31°F (-35°C)" here.

Even if there were some good unfound caches around, there's no way I'm going to be caching for a while.

What slows me down is family commitment and/or the inability to solve the closest puzzle caches. There are very few left in this area that I haven't found that don't require a good long hike but that still doesn't stop me. I just grab a caching buddy and hit the road! While the cost of fuel is an issue, it's a very minor one. Think of the other hobbies one could be into.. Sky diving, GOLF, Race car driving, drugs, alcohol... What's a full tank of gas cost? Maybe $50 US for the average car? That's at least a full day of caching. Still less than half the cost of 18 holes at Pebble Beach even with lunch! So.. Compare that with lift tickets and lodging! Or how about some SCUBA? Been water skiiing lately? $100 for fuel just to get the boat up to speed for a couple of hours.

Not to mention, when I'm out caching with Bootsey, we're also tourists. So, we just make a weekend out of it and we still get in our geofix.

Bummer that I can't cache every day like I was when I was a noob, but if I can get out a couple of times a week, I feel ok about it.

J..

Same here - Left knee & Right anklegave me a 31% disability but I still do it. Just need some recovery time and a bunch of Ibuprofin.

Your knees are in a lot better shape then mine. I can stand a lot of pain, but a 1/2 mile hike will keep me up in pain for a night or two. It don't matter if I take my Viciden or not. Ibuprofen don't do it for me.

I did my share of hikes in my younger days, but even if my knees were good I don't think I would be able to do a 16mile hike anymore.

I'm hoping to get total knee replacements this year. But even if I do I doubt I will ever be in shape to do a 16 mile hike again.

Your knees are in a lot better shape then mine. I can stand a lot of pain, but a 1/2 mile hike will keep me up in pain for a night or two. It don't matter if I take my Viciden or not. Ibuprofen don't do it for me.

I did my share of hikes in my younger days, but even if my knees were good I don't think I would be able to do a 16mile hike anymore.

I'm hoping to get total knee replacements this year. But even if I do I doubt I will ever be in shape to do a 16 mile hike again.

Never give up!!! I feel for you and I can relate to the pain. Please let us know how it goes after the replacements. A friend of mine just had his done and he's actually trying to jog for the first time in over 20 years!

It seems that our mental state can have such a huge impact on out physical state. How's that Nike commercial go again? "Just do it"

Hubby isn't interested at all. Of course, that could be due to the fact that my very first hunt was in the snow and 7 degrees wind chill and I didn't know how to use the GPS correctly. Relied on the satellite reading because I didn't know how to enter coords or use the Go To function. After about 30 minutes I was able to locate the cache which is one of the oldest in our area. Of course, I had spotted the location when we first got there but didn't realize it was a cache. That was a little over a year ago and my geo spidey sense has gotten better.

Almost nothing... I've cached on crutches with a bum knee-- ditched the crutches, hopped over a snowbank on one leg, hung onto the tree while hopping up a small hill to get a grab n' go after my doctor's appointment.

I cache every Friday night with friends and am often driving over 100km to get home at 3 am Sat. morning.

I have to drive about an hour from home to get anywhere to cache now, and between doing that and driving to and from work(200km per day) I put over $500 of gas per month in the Jeep.

I went out in a snowstorm last Sunday with 80km winds, with a windchill of -30 C and found 12 caches.

Usually, it's because I am at school, where I don't have a car, so anything outside of walking distance is impossible generally. If I've found all the caches within walking distance, I cannot do any caching, without going out with friends, who are usually too busy to do so. There are some recent new caches within walking distance, so it's not an issue right now.