can't cache.

Bad_CRC

What stops you from caching?

weather? time? cache buddies unavailable?

Normally, what stops me is a lack of caches that look interesting within easy driving distance.

But right now outsite it's "Wind Chill: -31°F (-35°C)" here.

Even if there were some good unfound caches around, there's no way I'm going to be caching for a while.

Mrs. And lack of caches in close proximity. You guys moan about petrol. We pay 7.33 ZAR per liter, 1 US$ = around 6.80 ZAR. How does that compare?

How does 21.42 ZAR sound? ($3.15 USD)

Ouch is that per liter or Gallon?

Oh yeah, forgot about that conversion. $3.15 per US gallon. 5.66 ZAR per liter

Edited by MarcusArelius

time - working from home has its advantages but sometimes I wish I could "leave" work. Most of my day is spent working

cold - just cold and snow is ok. Its the wind chill I don't like

gas prices. Just got a new cachemobile, 05 Dodge Ram QC and it only gets about 12 mpg.

having to go alone, not always good spots for a woman alone or even with the kids. Just have to wait for the hubby...

I did go out today to place 2 new caches, and it was COLD!!

If I have a tight deadline on my delivery, or if I just get lazy and don't want to get out of bed. Sometimes the weather, but I've been told many times "Are you CRAZY, you went out in THIS?" Notably when I was in North Platte, NE and it was snowing so hard that the highway, was closed through three states. Sadly, I didn't even get to find any. I count tromping all over town trying to find internet access to look up Caches as Caching too.

I don't mind the cold, I don't mind the snow, Even the wind isn't too bad - but combine the 3 and I'm staying inside.

Did two today, but THIS ONE was COLD! 1 mile round trip, with 8 inches of fresh snow, 15 degrees, and 30 MPH winds ripping across the frozen lake. Can you say BRRRRRR? We did! :huh::(

FrozenDam.jpg

Edited by geowizerd

Mrs. And lack of caches in close proximity. You guys moan about petrol. We pay 7.33 ZAR per liter, 1 US$ = around 6.80 ZAR. How does that compare?

How does 21.42 ZAR sound? ($3.15 USD)

I heard a couple of days ago that the average price per gallon in the U.S. right now is $3.13. When I was in South Africa and Zambia a few weeks ago I was trying to figure out how the prices there compared with what I was paying at home. Making the conversion of liters to gallons, and ZAR or Kwacha to US dollars gave me a headache.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't go out in the pouring rain, unless it was a cache & dash. (Fuel here is $7.50 ish per gallon, thats a US gallon equivalent. Or around 110 pence per litre for 97 octane which is premium. 95 is the standard stuff which is slightly cheaper but not much.)

This doesn't stop me though, as I'm very fortunate to have a company car that also comes with a fuel card. :)

What stops you from caching?

#1 Work

#2 When I am off work I am usually watching my 4 year old son, who isn't really into geocaching much

#3 If someone else is watching my son, it has to be long enough for me drive to a cache (I've found all but three within 10 miles of home)

#4 If there is enough for me to drive to caches, at least this time of year, it has to be someplace that is accessible. A couple of weeks ago I drove to a cache where the last 1/4 miles was a seasonable road with about 4" of solid ice on the road.

#5 Assuming I get to a reasonable distance (reasonable at this time of year includes "will I be able to get there and back without a high risk of hypothermia") to the cache in my vehicle it preferably should be hidden in a place that has become inaccessible due to ice and snow.

If I can overcome all these impediments, I will tolerate some pretty nasty weather to go look for a cache. It's 8 degrees here today but the next opportunity I might have could be a week or two away.

Another factor that comes in to play is hunting season. One of the caches that in my 10 closest caches list is located in the woods where a hunter was accidentally shot and killed a few weeks ago. I have got a blaze orange vest in my cache bag but there are some areas where I would still be reluctant to go during hunting season.

About the only thing that stops me if I'm in the mood to cache is work. Otherwise if I want to cache, I cache.

Sometimes I have to work it around another responsibility. Coaching a soccer game? Is there a cache near the field I can bag before or after the game? Visiting relatives? There are usually caches nearby that I can hit there or on the way back. Temps below zero? That's what winter clothing is for. Pouring rain? That's why they invented raincoats.

work, work, work. I don't mind the cold I just bundle up. I like caching in the winter. It is intresting to me how quiet the woods are in the winter.

Hey geowizerd, is that your walking stick? if it is its pretty cool!

Yep, it was a Christmas present. :)

The nice thing about winter.... NO BUGS! :)

At the moment 50 Degrees C and no caches within 300km. (Actually nothing within 300km, no towns nuttin.)

:unsure:

122 degrees and nothing around for over a hundred miles?

sounds like hell, literally... where the heck are you?

Pretty much there. Although today is much cooler 110 degrees

Edited by tttedzeins

I'm sure others have mentioned this but I only go out in certain types of weather - no rain and the temp has to be above 32 degrees fahrenheit. In addition, I don't particularly like going out alone but I've done that on occasion - I am just very selective on where I go because I've gotten lost once when I was by myself - that wasn't fun.

I'm sure others have mentioned this but I only go out in certain types of weather - no rain and the temp has to be above 32 degrees fahrenheit. In addition, I don't particularly like going out alone but I've done that on occasion - I am just very selective on where I go because I've gotten lost once when I was by myself - that wasn't fun.

No offense intended, but how do you get lost with a GPSr in your hand?!? B)

Edited by geowizerd

No offense intended, but how do you get lost with a GPSr in your hand?!? B)

I've done it! B) I was going to check up on one of my caches after finding a cache in the same area, and I thought I was heading toward my cache, but I came out on a trail that lead to a cache I had already done that was the opposite direction from my cache. I had not been paying attention to the compass bearing that the GPS was saying because I hadn't been looking at it since I thought I knew the way to my cache. Apparently the trail that I had been on did not lead the direction I thought it did. I think it was the first time I had been on that trail.

No offense intended, but how do you get lost with a GPSr in your hand?!? :unsure:

We got lost once while geocaching.

climbed a cliff to get to a cache, then continued to the top.

Once you are on the top of a cliff, it's almost impossible to climb back down.. going up is infinitely easier.

We were walking all over the top of this cliff, and there was no way down other than over the cliffs, and it was getting dark. Every trail we tried to take ended up being not a trail afterall, and just going right over a cliff hundreds of feet to the rocks below. I was getting pretty worried.

eventually we did come across a way down.

1. Trying to convince my husband this would be a fun adventure for all of us, even though we don't have a GPS yet.

2. Nerves. Since we haven't actually found one yet, I'm a bit nervous with the inconspicuous part. I drove up to a location twice now, parked, and lost the nerve to get out of the vehicle to look. Probably not the best one to start with, as it's next to a busy street, a micro cache, and I have no idea what I'm looking for! But the distance from my home is great, less than a mile away.

3. Weather. I want to get my 5 and 10 year olds involved and they wouldn't enjoy hunting in the cold.