Vista HCx Track Logs

QC 49ers

This may be a dumb question, but when I transfer my saved track logs from my Vista HCx to Map Source it doesn't include the total time or the average speed. However, it will show these fields for the active track log. Is there something that can be done so it will show these data fields for the saved logs or is this only possible for the active? There are situations where I need to make different tracks without being able to upload them in between so I have to save them in order to start a new track right?

This may be a dumb question, but when I transfer my saved track logs from my Vista HCx to Map Source it doesn't include the total time or the average speed. However, it will show these fields for the active track log. Is there something that can be done so it will show these data fields for the saved logs or is this only possible for the active? There are situations where I need to make different tracks without being able to upload them in between so I have to save them in order to start a new track right?

Unfortunately no. When you save a track it strips lots of information from the track log including time stamps.

However , all is not lost. Get yourself a microSD card for your Vista HCx and set it up so that it continuously records track logs in GPX format to the card (Track Log -> Setup -> Data Card Setup and tick "Log Track To Data Card"). This will create a track log for every day with the name YYYYMMDD.gpx on the data card.

You can then connect your Vista HCx, put it into Mass Storage Mode (Setup -> Interface -> USB Mass Storage) and simply open the appropriate files in Mapsource. You may find multiple tracks within that one file, if you've enabled/ disabled track logging or switched the unit off and on again.

However , all is not lost. Get yourself a microSD card for your Vista HCx and set it up so that it continuously records track logs in GPX format to the card (Track Log -> Setup -> Data Card Setup and tick "Log Track To Data Card"). This will create a track log for every day with the name YYYYMMDD.gpx on the data card.

So the .gpx-stored tracks on the card contains the timestamps? Neat. I've never looked at them.

So the .gpx-stored tracks on the card contains the timestamps? Neat. I've never looked at them.

Yep, everything ... latitude, longitude, elevation and timestamp. The memory card is the reason I bought it over any of the other models without it, so that I could forget about saving tracks to external devices when on multi-day trips, or losing valuable data.

Some of the other answers here have suggested getting a memory card. It is certainly true that if you don't have enough space, you need a memory card.

However, without a memory card, the saved tracks and the active track are sharing the space, so you don't gain much by saving a track. You gain a little because the saved tracks don't have the time stamps.

When the tracks are uploaded with time stamps, you can use an editor to break them into separate files by looking at the time stamps. If the time stamps won't be enough to tell you where to break the log, just turn the unit off and then back on. This will leave a blank line in the track log.

There is probably a header that you want to replicate in each file you make.

(I'm a Mac user and use MacGPSPro for uploading the tracks, YMMV.)

- Ed

Some of the other answers here have suggested getting a memory card. It is certainly true that if you don't have enough space, you need a memory card.

However, without a memory card, the saved tracks and the active track are sharing the space, so you don't gain much by saving a track. You gain a little because the saved tracks don't have the time stamps.

IIRC you gain a bit more as the number of track points is reduced also (a typical 2000 point log is reduced to about 500 points in my experience).

It all rather depends on how long you're out in the wilds, and not able to transfer the track logs, and how many track points you're generating (which in turn depends on your track log settings). The Vista HCx only has space for 10,000 track points (if you only use the active log, that is), and after that if you don't have any means of transferring them you're screwed. It'd be a shame to lose important information for the sake of, say, $15 for a 2GB memory card or even less for a smaller capacity card.

On the other hand, if you want to save a few dollars, and you're only out for a limited period, you can just make sure you don't run over the 10,000 limit (and make sure you don't delete the active track log if you do a reset from the odometer page!!) and split the track log up afterwards. You can do this in Mapsource, or a host of other programs.

I just like the extra security of knowing that in addition to the active log I always have a record of every move I make on my memory card as well. I guess everybody has their own way of doing things.

Thanks for the help. Taking the files off the memory card worked for me. It appears as though if you turn the unit off it creates a separate track segment like you said. I'm going to test today if telling it to save will break the track up like turning the device off does. I've been trying to use the gps to compare different routes so not having the data fields involving time made it kinda useless for that. Now everything should be good.

...the saved tracks and the active track are sharing the space, so you don't gain much by saving a track. You gain a little because the saved tracks don't have the time stamps.

No they don't.

There is room allocated in internal memory for 10000 active track points and 20x500 saved track points. Using one does not affect the space for the other.

...the saved tracks and the active track are sharing the space, so you don't gain much by saving a track. You gain a little because the saved tracks don't have the time stamps.

No they don't.

There is room allocated in internal memory for 10000 active track points and 20x500 saved track points. Using one does not affect the space for the other.

You are right. I stand corrected.

- Ed

Thanks for the information on Track Files. What settings do you use for the track log on a Vista HCX when hiking? I have it set to Record method Auto and Interval Normal, but the log files are not detailed enough for me.

Paul

I have it set to Auto/Normal just like you. The logs I get on this setting are plenty detailed enough for my purposes. What are you using to download and display them? Maybe whatever you're using is doing some filtering or track point reduction before displaying it?