Moving Bugs in the Opposite Direction

Segerguy

I'm wondering how you feel about bugs going in the opposite direction then their intended route. I have my first bug here in Los Angeles (A medallion from the 1984 Los Angels Olympics) that has a mission to go to the Beijing Olympics in 2008. Of course the most direct route would be from LA right over the ocean to China. And that of course would work.

But, what if a visiting tourist took my bug back to say,,,my home state of Michigan. Sure there is about 2,000 miles or so and it's going east when it should be going west! But, what if there is somebody in the Auto industry that will be traveling to China next week or next month and they pick up my bug and take it all the way to it's destination! That may or may not have happened if it stayed here on the West Coast. Of course, somebody traveling to China might have picked it up here in California too.

I guess my point is, just because a bug goes in the opposite direction isn't necessarily a bad thing!

What do you think?

I'm wondering how you feel about bugs going in the opposite direction then their intended route. I have my first bug here in Los Angeles (A medallion from the 1984 Los Angels Olympics) that has a mission to go to the Beijing Olympics in 2008. Of course the most direct route would be from LA right over the ocean to China. And that of course would work.

But, what if a visiting tourist took my bug back to say,,,my home state of Michigan. Sure there is about 2,000 miles or so and it's going east when it should be going west! But, what if there is somebody in the Auto industry that will be traveling to China next week or next month and they pick up my bug and take it all the way to it's destination! That may or may not have happened if it stayed here on the West Coast. Of course, somebody traveling to China might have picked it up here in California too.

I guess my point is, just because a bug goes in the opposite direction isn't necessarily a bad thing!

What do you think?

You might want to take a look at this recent thread on the topic: Sour Grapes.

Some TB owners feel as you do, while others become enraged if their TB goes opposite to its goal.

Cheers!

I guess there's as many opinions about this topic as there are geocachers. I as a geocoin owner think that the main goal for my items is to move. The described goal is like a secondary target, i.e. if you have lots of choices then try to move it towards the described goal. Anyways, moving somewhere (even in wrong direction) is much better option than to sit in a cache box.

Just my 2 halala's :drama:

Timo

Edited by tliuska

I just wish I could get my geocoin to move in any direction!!! It was my first one and I placed in a cache in late October. It was picked up and placed in another cache and retrieved from there on November 17th and that has been it. I emailed the people in late December and asked if they could get it moving, he emailed that he would, and nothing has happened. Since he has now had it for 2 months, I emailed again today and gave him a po box # and asked if he could just mail it to me so I could get it moving.

If you want your bug or coin to go to a specific location as quickly as possible, then use USPS, UPS, FedEx, DHL, or any of the other fine shipping companies out there.

When you put a trackable item into a cache with a goal of where you'd like it to EVENTUALLY end up, you must realize that the route it take may or may not be a direct route. Now, if the bug is in a race or other competition, then I might get a little peeved it if was moving the wrong way, but that's the risks you take.

For general movement, maybe that sidetrack to the opposite side of the world prevents your coin from falling into the hands of a local coin "collector". Perhaps the TB avoided that cache right next to your goal site that will be muggled tomorrow.

Part of the fun of the trackables is seeing where they T-R-A-V-E-L! As long as they're moving, be happy and enjoy watching how and where they migrate.

The coins I've put out were "lost" or kept by a cacher with 1 find and no more logins. The first bug we put out is still sitting in a cache (I think). I doubt I'll release another coin and I hope our next bugs get a little more action.