The Arena

Where I Go Again

I've just uploaded my first "Where I Go" Opus called the Arena.

It's a HUGE file. The emulator can handle it, but I'm not sure if a real PPC or the Garmin Colorado can handle the size of the cartridge.

My reason for making the cartridge was to test the complexity and the playability of the builder. The game itself is simple, but as the player acquires objects, the complexity and menu choices grow.

It becomes a huge coding juggling act.

Hopefully, the cartridge will show others what can easily be done in the builder. And by easily, I mean working 3 hours a day on the cartridge for about a week.

The coding my not make a lot of sense - I was trying to figure a lot out as I went along and would often "code" myself into a corner.

Everything can be downloaded from the following:

http://whereigoagain.googlepages.com/Arena.lua

http://whereigoagain.googlepages.com/TheArena.zip

Some known issues with cartridge

- Command lines, like Read the Book, become ReadtheBook. Spaces aren't allowed.

- Sound effects often crackle. No pattern.

- Multiple Choice Menu's don't allow spaces.

- There is no way to "End" the game/ Reset the cartridge - that I know of. I was pondering the idea of moving the player to nil. But right now, you can continue to play if you die.

Enjoy the cartridge. Please post any comments, especially coding improvements in this forum. And any playability issues as well.

I want to make this cartridge open-source. So any suggestions will go right into the cartridge.

Thanks,

CJ

I already added my suggestions to the cartridge's log page and uploaded the log file.

My two suggestions were:

1) Look over the text for grammar errors. I'm not trying to be critical, but I do believe any sort of grammatical or spelling error brings down the perceived professionalism of any product, not just cartridges.

2) It would be nice for the Gorn to hop to random zones as the game progresses. It would make it seem as if it really is out to get Kirk.

I didn't know how much time you put into the cartridge until you made the post here. I'd say it was a good learning experience and a successful test. I didn't pick up on the problems you had or the complexity of the game's inner workings while playing it. That says a lot right there.

Having a thread open to discuss the game seems to be a good idea. You might get some very creative suggestions and responses.

I haven't had the chance to play it fully, and you can tell by one of the screenshots that I have some walking to do to get to the rock outcropping, but it seems to work fine on the Colorado. This looks really cool. Hopefully i can make it down south to try it out in person :drama:

arena1.jpgarena2.jpg

Thanks for the reviews.

I'll admit I was so happy to actually finish the coding of the cartridge, I just scanned the storyline.

Once my the logical side of my brain cools down, I'll do a complete story overhaul.

I was mainly worried about the coding.

A grammar rewrite will happen in the next version.

I also want to write a code where the Gorn attacks Kirk if he stays in the Gorn Zone too long.

That will have to happen later.

Thanks,

CJ

I realy enjoyed playing your game (only virtually). I am a trekkie and remember the episode very well. I didnt do very well but i learned a lot of your approach.

I released some experiments but the real one is coming up. i think the hardest part is to come up with a good script and acompening graphics (not grabbed from the net). i feel myself a sort of filmdirector. i could do with a designer and a scriptwriter ( oh yes they are on strike)

Thank you "Where I Go Again".

This is very interesting and well-considered cartridge.

It is a nice idea to hold the Book of Clue to support the player.

I attached the gwl log file for your information.

I hope to see your new cartridge soon.

I uploaded the gwl file directory, but it failed.

So, I attached zip file. When you open the zip file, gwl can be found.

I found that the zip should be uploaded in this topic (http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=182494)

the_arena_log.zip

Edited by TOSY