good ideas for geocache containers?

josh0322

Well out here in Santa Cruz, the weather is quite mild. It never snows and the temperature only rises above 100 degrees once every two years. Also there are no thunder/lightning storms and the only natural disaster around here are earthquakes.

The most common container are lock and locks and tupperware. Film cans are the most popular micro and I don't think I've ever found one filled with water.

Tins of any kind don't work anywhere. I have an altoid tin cache but its under a drinking fountain so rain usually doesn't get to it.

I know a guy who owns a tutoring business and he puts out jellybeans for the kids to eat. He goes through about one jar a week and used to give them to me for caches. Unfortunately we're now out of contact so i don't get a new jar every week. These jellybean jars are great for caching. Wrap them up in camo tape, slap a sticker on ,put in swag, log book, ect. I usually carry one when caching or hiking in case i find a good spot. I have one thats been out in the woods for about 10 months and has gone through some rain storms. I've never had a report of one leaking or getting broken.

Mayonnaise jars and peanut butter jars also make great, cheap containers when you're done with them. Put them through the dishwasher though. I you have a family member that is highly allergic to something then they should have an epipen. When these expire use the container. I have one in a drainage tunnel thats been there for a couple months and it hasn't leaked at all.

I have a few containers that are basically pill bottles but they hold the vitamin and herbal supplements instead. My dad works with that stuff so I get to use the leftover containers. Some of them aren't that waterproof, but some of them are actually pretty good. Some are screw-on lids, and some are not. The best thing is, they are mostly a bunch of semi transparent containers so I don't have to paint them that much as long as I can find a place where they will blend in pretty well with their surroundings. I have done that with some of them, and some are hard to find, some not. I also have a bunch of other creative containers, some ordered over the internet, some made manually.

I base my hides and my prowess with hides on finding a creative container, finding a good/creative hiding place, and combining them with a great cache theme and title with a hint sometimes. Some of mine are downright hard, but some of them I have gotten really good praise on the container/location/hiding place/technique used to hide it and/or to retrieve it, and so on. Some of them have a good puzzle attached, hard or not, and some don't. I have made twists on some other cachers' themes; sometimes after they had already put a twist of their own on the same kind of hide. I have also gotten a lot of good ideas for some. Some of those I have not put out yet, but I have toyed with the idea a bit, and it is on my list. If you want an idea, feel free to contact me. I also do creative finds, but you can't always tell what cache is going to be cool or not, and it differs between cachers. One thing to remember, is what may work for someone, or someplace, may not work for another person or place, and vice versa.

If you want to get an extensive amount of knowledge for what might be cool, creative, fun, good, or safe, you will need to spend probably at least a few hours on the forums, and on the different caching stores, and also sites like ebay and youtube, looking up different things as well as going out to several different stores and looking at the different containers they have, as well as different things and techniques they can offer for you to use with them. Then sit down, see what has worked out for some people, and more importantly, the location that you are using. What does it have to offer in several categories:

Agriculture and wildlife: Does it have any trees, bushes, grass? What and where are they? How are they designed? Is there any wildlife that live around there? How do they eat? What do they eat? When do they eat? Where would a good nesting/breeding site be? Are they there year round, or are they just there for part of the year? Do they do come through there when they are migrating? Are there many around? How many different kinds of wildlife are there as well as plants? How do they depend on each other?

Land: How is the terrain? Is it flat, rocky, grassy, steep, wet, dry, urban, wilderness, hilly, mountainous, forest-like or not, open or closed in? Is it a valley or a river or a body of water? Is it near a body of water or land? What is the climate like? Is it hot or cold? Is it like this much of the year, or is it only part of the year? Would it be a place to bring the kids if you were looking for it, or not? Are any of the plants or wildlife going to be aggressive or going to hurt you or someone else or the cache or cache location? Is somebody going to do something to the area that will harm it? Or will they try to do some CITO if it needs it or if it isn't going to harm the environment? What are the people going to do if they come to the place? Can they come day or night or only during some parts of the day?

You need to be able to think about what could happen to the area and plan for it. Keep in mind that sometimes something will happen, and you will need to prepare for it. The container might not be as effective as you might think, or it might get stolen. Keep in mind that some containers will not last in some situations as others. A tree might fall on it. A fire could ravage the area. It could flood and get carried away(I have read about that happening before). It could freeze and the container because of a long time in the outdoors, could rust or crack and eventually fall apart. Make sure to do regular maintenance on it. Look for it yourself and test out how good it is or the code is that you put out is. Put diff and terrain truthfully, adding half a star if needed for people that might not be as prepared as you are. Put warnings on it as needed. Look for it often to make sure that is still there and so you can do any maintenance if needed so cachers can't complain saying they got a DNF. Put a good hint if needed. Make sure to secure it if needs be. Make sure it is at least resistant to the weather. The simplest way I can put it is, do it the Boy/Girl Scout way. Keep the impact to a minimum and try to have as much fun with it as you can WHILE BEING SAFE. If you wouldn’t like a to try to find it this way, then don’t do it. If you want a challenge occasionally then that is okay. But remember that it is not a competition. Having said that, I will say that it is okay for a bit of competition to keep things fun and interesting. But don’t take it to the extreme on either end. Think about the other people that are going to come find it. They don’t have the info that you have. But then again, that is what make s it fun sometimes, is having a challenge and and some competition as well as learning new things. Thanks and I hope that people will be a little better at this if you are not already making an effort to be better. Thanks and I hope to see you out on the trail someday. Have a great day. gwf :P:ph34r:

I use old peanut butter jars. I clean them very well so there is no risk of allergic reaction and no risk of animals disturbing them. They seem very weather tight as long as the lid is kept tight. I paint them black with Krylon plastic paint that has a built in UV inhibitor, I also "good idea for any cache" place desiccant gel packets inside, this will take care of any moisture that may make it inside. I know there are better options but I eat a lot of PB&Js so I have access to the jars and they are therefor free as well as the desiccant gel saved from commonly purchased items, the paint cost about $6 a can and would do 15-20 jars. I also stencil the Geocaching logo on the lid of the jar just for fun.

I have used a variety of containers for my caches. All of the usual ones and a few which are a bit different. The important thing is to use the correct container to suit the location. I have one of these LINKEY for a 5/5 cache, but a bit overkill for most.

One of my favourite containers is a length of drain pipe with waterproof caps. Nice and big, yet still dry after a year's battering by heavy waves. (Storm spray)

I love ammo boxes, but am getting away from them. People love to steal them, and you can't see what's inside. I keep hearing about more and more containers being found by the police and exploded. I would say the best idea would be a clear lock and lock with "GEOCACHE.COM" written on it with a sharpie. That way if found by authorities they can see what is in it and do so research to what it is at geocaching.com.

Also keep you eyes open at the grocery store. I have found that the large containers of peanut butter look like they would make a nice cache container.

I love ammo boxes, but am getting away from them. People love to steal them, and you can't see what's inside. I keep hearing about more and more containers being found by the police and exploded. I would say the best idea would be a clear lock and lock with "GEOCACHE.COM" written on it with a sharpie. That way if found by authorities they can see what is in it and do so research to what it is at geocaching.com.

Also keep you eyes open at the grocery store. I have found that the large containers of peanut butter look like they would make a nice cache container.

Clear containers also get esploded.

I try to stay out of supermarkets.

When I go in I have a strong tendency to buy foods for their containers.

A strong tendency.

When I started looking for a certain type of seaweed in an asian market I came across Croley Foods Sunshine Crackers. I nearly passed out in the aisle of the Marina Market in Milpitas, CA. Hundreds of these big yellow boxes with snap tops.

Naturally I bought one. The orange crackers are pretty good. I've since bought another box of Orange and one of Lemon.

I think a Scotchbright pad and some of my leaf cut-outs will camo these up a treat.

Now I just need a place to hide them. :)

I also need to stay out of the supermarkets.

These canisters are heavy gage aluminum, strong enough to stand on. Twist on lid, with no threads to get dirty, rubber o-ring seal, water proof, easy to paint. I have had one as a cache for several years, perfectly dry. The same volume inside as a decon container. 6 for $10 is a deal. In the store I have bought them for as little as 83centsUS. I have also had one hanging in a tree, using a snap-swivel, but was stolen twice.

Major Surplus- German Army "Dish"

aluminumsmallcachecontaou8.jpg

These might be fine in SoCal, but every one of them that I have found in Oregon have been dripping wet inside...

whats your preferred geocache container? i'm starting to put together some containers and i was wondering where other people find cheap (or even free!) cache containers. i like the idea of recycling what would otherwise be garbage. what are some good resources for collecting containers? i think i've grabbed just about every extra film and pill container around the house :ph34r:

I found a water tight container the size of 35mm film canisiter. It is the end cap for drip line irrigation. One end has nice cap with washer. The other end is open. I put a penny inside then use industrial glue to glue it in. Cap is only $1. Glue $2 and I use the glue usually on other areas of caches I make. Very sturdy.

whats your preferred geocache container? i'm starting to put together some containers and i was wondering where other people find cheap (or even free!) cache containers. i like the idea of recycling what would otherwise be garbage. what are some good resources for collecting containers? i think i've grabbed just about every extra film and pill container around the house :ph34r:

I think a nalgene would work great.

I was amazed at the cache containers they could get away with in the Arizona desert. Metal tins, real Tupperware from the 70s, an old suitcase... that stuff wouldn't make it through the first frost, here.

Amazing, isn't it! I noticed that about Nevada. It was kind of fun actually, to find all dry logs for a while, in some really interesting containers.

Including this one:

2aalpjr.jpg

whats your preferred geocache container? i'm starting to put together some containers and i was wondering where other people find cheap (or even free!) cache containers. i like the idea of recycling what would otherwise be garbage. what are some good resources for collecting containers? i think i've grabbed just about every extra film and pill container around the house :blink:

i like to use the redbull shot bottles for geocaches! The water proof and will last for ever!

my "johnny go wash your face" is a 6 pound peanut butter jar. you know how sick of peanut butter i was getting that container!

A strong tendency.

When I started looking for a certain type of seaweed in an asian market I came across Croley Foods Sunshine Crackers. I nearly passed out in the aisle of the Marina Market in Milpitas, CA. Hundreds of these big yellow boxes with snap tops.

Naturally I bought one. The orange crackers are pretty good. I've since bought another box of Orange and one of Lemon.

I think a Scotchbright pad and some of my leaf cut-outs will camo these up a treat.

Now I just need a place to hide them. :blink:

Tidy cats cat litter in the yellow pail with red snap lid makes for a nice LARGE. just got to find a place to hide it.

I was amazed at the cache containers they could get away with in the Arizona desert. Metal tins, real Tupperware from the 70s, an old suitcase... that stuff wouldn't make it through the first frost, here.

I have a briefcase one. its a 4/4 and hid away from the elements and has held up well considering the 30 pound rock that protects it!

whats your preferred geocache container? i'm starting to put together some containers and i was wondering where other people find cheap (or even free!) cache containers. i like the idea of recycling what would otherwise be garbage. what are some good resources for collecting containers? i think i've grabbed just about every extra film and pill container around the house :blink:

i like to use the redbull shot bottles for geocaches! The water proof and will last for ever!

I found one of those once and liked it but what stores sell it?

All of my caches use different containers:

1. GE Metal fuse box, inside: PVC Pipe with 2 end caps/ Home Depot $8/ $5 Home Depot.

2. Noxzema Face Pad cont/ Free

3. Plastic Spice Jar/ Free

4. Big Jiff PB jar/ Free

5. Ammo Can/ $8

6. Shell cache glued to plastic tube with snap lid/ $7

7. Bison Tube/ $6

8. Decon Container/ $4

i got my other paid caches i listed from www.spacecoastgeocachers.com.

None have gotten water in them! The PVC piping seems to be the most weather proof. Probably survive a hurricane!

but if a CO wants to replace a film can every 6 months and it's always fresh due to maintenance, then what is the problem?

Because, historically, they don't replace the log until there's a problem reported on the cache page.

By then, (assuming you're a conscientious cacher), it's too late.

Your deliberate choice of a crappy container has just caused a soggy log encounter.

Since this is avoidable, for less than a buck, why intentionally select a container with such a poor track record?

Take pride in your hide. Just say "No" to crappy containers.

but if a CO wants to replace a film can every 6 months and it's always fresh due to maintenance, then what is the problem?

Because, historically, they don't replace the log until there's a problem reported on the cache page.

Your deliberate choice of a crappy container has just caused a soggy log encounter.

Since this is avoidable, for less than a buck, why intentionally select a container with such a poor track record?

I think that you are overstating the problem for dramatic effect. If a few people find a wet cache in the time it takes for an owner to replace it, the earth will keep spinning.

I think that you are overstating the problem for dramatic effect. If a few people find a wet cache in the time it takes for an owner to replace it, the earth will keep spinning.

Sure, the earth will keep spinning. People finding wet logs is not an earth-shattering problem. But it is, indeed, a problem. Even though it's a minor problem, it is one that can be easily avoided, as Clan Riffster pointed out, for less than a buck. So why not avoid it?

Take Pride In Your Hide.

Sure, the earth will keep spinning. People finding wet logs is not an earth-shattering problem. But it is, indeed, a problem. Even though it's a minor problem, it is one that can be easily avoided, as Clan Riffster pointed out, for less than a buck. So why not avoid it?
When selecting a container for a cache, care should be taken to ensure that the container is appropriate. There are a number of factors that go into selecting the right container. You and CR are ignoring the simple fact that convenience and cost are appropriate factors to use in this calculation.

Dude... Seriously? With that post, you're gonna play the drama card? That has to be the single greatest example of Pot meet Kettle I've ever seen in these forums. I mention that wet logs are a bad thing, and that they can largely be avoided through conscientious container selection. You spin that into me suggesting the life, as we know it, is going to end. Really? ;)

It begs the question: Does a true Drama Queen get to pick out their own Tiara? If so, which one did you select? :D

You and CR are ignoring the simple fact that convenience and cost are appropriate factors to use in this calculation.

Wrong again. As I've pointed out numerous times, in numerous threads, quality containers can be had for less than a buck, (some are even free), at a store that can be found within a stone's throw from 90% of our nation's population. That seems to cover both the cost and convenience angles. What I, (and many of my peers), are pointing out, (and you keep not seeing), is that there are players out there who deliberately select crappy containers. Why do they do this? Ignorance or apathy. Either one should be addressed, if doing so will result in even a slight reduction of wet, moldy logs. Take pride in your hide. Don't be a crappy cache enabler.

Dude... Seriously? With that post, you're gonna play the drama card? ...
It amuses me that you snipped your post before calling me a drama queen. I can only guess that you hoped people wouldn't scroll up (or down, as it turned out).

You and CR are ignoring the simple fact that convenience and cost are appropriate factors to use in this calculation.
Wrong again. As I've pointed out numerous times, in numerous threads, quality containers can be had for less than a buck, (some are even free), at a store that can be found within a stone's throw from 90% of our nation's population. That seems to cover both the cost and convenience angles.
Sorry, you don't get to decide what's cost effective or convenient for anyone other than you.
What I, (and many of my peers), are pointing out, (and you keep not seeing), is that there are players out there who deliberately select crappy containers. Why do they do this? Ignorance or apathy. Either one should be addressed, if doing so will result in even a slight reduction of wet, moldy logs. Take pride in your hide. Don't be a crappy cache enabler.
There's the drama queen again, raising her ugly head. Edited by sbell111
There's the drama queen again, raising her ugly head.

I see. So, suggesting that folks use quality containers, to minumize the chances that finders will experience wet, moldy logs is being a drama queen. But suggesting that the world will stop spinning is not. Gotcha. :rolleyes:

It's not the suggestion, it's the overplaying of the angst related to the suggestion, but you already knew that. :D

It's not the suggestion, it's the overplaying of the angst related to the suggestion, but you already knew that. :rolleyes:

Ah... The classic sbell111 bait & switch. I kinda figured that was coming. So now I'm overplaying angst?

Let's take a look at what I posted:

I pointed out that the majority of soggy logs don't get replaced until the cache owner is made aware of the soggy log.

Is that where I was overplaying the angst? ;)

I pointed out that, if the goal is to avoid having seekers experience soggy logs, it's too late at that point.

Is that where I was overplaying the angst? B)

I pointed out that container selection is a choice, made conscientiously, and that this choice can have adverse consequences.

I never hinted that these consequences were severe. Only that they existed.

Is that where I overplayed the angst? :unsure:

I suggested that it was an avoidable problem, and suggested an economic means to do so.

Is that where I overplayed the angst? :huh:

Then I followed up with a mantra suggesting that folks take pride in their hides.

Is that where I overplayed the angst? :D

Or are you simply arguing because you like to argue? That does seem to be a trend with you.

But you already knew that, didn't you? :D

ea30bb10-15dc-44a5-b80c-615ac542185e.jpg

Or are you simply arguing because you like to argue? That does seem to be a trend with you.

But you already knew that, didn't you? :rolleyes:

Boo to the hoo, dramaboy.
It feels good to have you prove my claim so succinctly. Thanx! :D
wow. Are you always this desperate for the last word?

To the topic, lots of repurposed items make great geocache containers. People have used film cans (the white ones are best), PB jars (and other formerly-food jars), and lots of other around-the-house stuff. Just think of it as another version of recycling. Reusing stuff that you already have rather than buying new stuff is good for the planet. Just remember to match your container to the hide location. Some containers that perform perfectly in a somewhat protected location will not work in a location that is directly subjected to mother nature.

Are you always this desperate for the last word?

Kettle? Is that you? :blink:

Back on topic: A good container is anything that protects its contents from the environment it's hidden in.

Over the last ten years or so, some containers have been demonstrated to be better at doing this than others. Time tested quality containers for a varied spectrum of environments include ammo cans, (real) Lock & Locks, match safes, Bison Design tubes and soda bottle preforms. Containers which have been shown to have a significantly high failure rate across a vast spectrum of environments include black & grey film cans, Altoids tins, cookie tins, knock off Lock & Locks, Gladware, PVC pipes, hide-a-keys and Ziplock baggies sans some other reliable container.

Edited by Clan Riffster
Are you always this desperate for the last word?

Kettle? Is that you? :blink:

Back on topic: A good container is anything that protects its contents from the environment it's hidden in.

Over the last ten years or so, some containers have been demonstrated to be better at doing this than others. Time tested quality containers for a varied spectrum of environments include ammo cans, (real) Lock & Locks, match safes, Bison Design tubes and soda bottle preforms. Containers which have been shown to have a significantly high failure rate across a vast spectrum of environments include black & grey film cans, Altoids tins, cookie tins, knock off Lock & Locks, Gladware, PVC pipes, hide-a-keys and Ziplock baggies sans some other reliable container.

Why don't you two just get a room and spare the rest of us?

Walmart, and i'm sure other stores, sell plastic half gallon and gallon size jars with screw on lids that hold up very well. They probably aren't appropriate for submerging but they do stay dry when used out in the weather down here in the south. I've been using them for years now and can't remember ever having a problem with them. Last time i bought, less than $3 for the gallon size, under $2 for the smaller.

For micros (some consider these small), preform soda tubes work great and do not leak.

As far as match stick containers that you find for under a buck, and from personal experience,,, most that we encounter which are hidden out by themselves, are wet inside. Also, film canisters are very rarely found to be dry when hidden without additional protection from the weather. It does, of course, depend on where and how the container is hidden...

ammo boxes and lock-n-lock boxes are good. :)

lock and locks are good til the snaps break off[about 50 or so finds]

or until the rubber o-ring pops out. They are a royal pain to get reseated correctly and I doubt that many finders will either take teh time to do it or get it done correctly.

I lucked into some great containers recently when my wife bought some liquid protien supplements. They come in plastic tubes that seem to resemble a soda bottle preform, but the mouth is much wider, like maybe 1.5". The tube is about 8" long, I guess. I collected about a half a dozen and put them away for future use.

A strong tendency.

Now I just need a place to hide them. :blink:

Tidy cats cat litter in the yellow pail with red snap lid makes for a nice LARGE. just got to find a place to hide it.

You have just given me an excuse to re-up my membership at Sam's Club :laughing:

I'll have two happy kitties and a giant (potential) cache.

Score.

i have scoured my house and garage to find good reliable cache containers, and here is what I have found.

lock & locks

pill holders

match containers (I replace the o-ring with something a little beefier)

and the one that no one else said yet,,, valspar paint sample containers! They are $3, and have a gasket seal and are a good size with a large lid.

Another thing, keep the lids from things like cleaning supplies and drink bottles,(anything that has a gasket under the cap) You never know when you will find a container that they will fit and will then make a good waterproof cache container. For example,the jar from generic zantac from walmart isn't waterproof, but if you take the lid from a large jug of pinesol, it makes a good micro. just be sure to clean everything!

The lock n locks are good but I have found many that have the tabs broken off. I don't know how many finds it takes to do this but it does happen. I have out a popular one at pier 39 in SF and it seems to be holding up. It is a waterproof container I used for fishing for many years I got at walmart for only around $5 I went there to get another one for when this one gets muggled because it is in a highly muggler area but I like it because there has been 40 geocoins/TB traded in it and it has only been out a little over a week! The walmart I checked didn't have them anymore. This cache is my favorite as it is found several times a day. OH and this cache was thought up and made and hidden by my 12 year old daughter! I think she is great at this!

Warninjas travel bug motel

P1080002.jpg

I want to place one that is just a solid outlet cover. I have found a few with magnets that are fine but not sure how the ziplock bag inside will hold up. I have the perfect place for it and have made it but worry about the baggie only as keeping it water tight. I know one I found I ripped the bag opening it. Anyone have any advice on how to keep it dry because I like the idea for this spot and think it would be cool. I drive by it almost every day on the way to work so upkeep is not a problem but don't want the soggy log. It would be like this one sold on ebay.

100_2362.jpg

Edited by WarNinjas

woodwalker in Arkansas used some interesting containers in some caches he has there and I have borrowed from his idea, with attribution. Take an inexpensive screw-top contact lens case; cut the left and right apart smoothing the edges; use Gorilla glue to attach magnets (I use rare earth) to the inside of the top; stick a log in and find it a home. I've been able to find the cases at 3/$2 which is 6 caches. Once I use up my rare earth magnets, I plan to go with something less expensive on that end.

The container I like to use that i've never seen anyone else use is a syringe. You can grind down the end intended for the needle and melt the plastic to eliminate the hole, or sometimes I just take the rubber seal off an extra syringe and push it down to the end of the tube. Then you can cut it to your preference and cut the stem of the seal short and you have a perfect container, that will not leak. Very ideal for crafty nano hides I must say