good ideas for geocache containers?

josh0322

I've heard that film canister's leak. If you have the log in a plastic baggey will it leak?

Szynka, thanx for asking. There is an age old axiom floating around these forums: "If you MUST use a baggie to keep your log dry, your container has already failed at a very basic level". Baggies offer a measure of secondary protection, in the event a quality container fails. But they won't make a crappy container into a good container. Baggies are usually very thin plastic. After a few opens and closes, it is not unusual to find them torn. The paper log getting removed from the baggie can also damage the baggie, not unlike a paper cut.

The motto? Use a good container, not a crappy one. Add a baggie just in case.

I saw a lot of potential Geocache containers at a store in California a while ago called "The Waterproof Case Company." While there I actually mentioned Geocaching to the employee and he actually knew what I was talking about. The down side is while they've got all sorts of containers, (from multiple manufacturers) a lot of them are not cheap. (They do have a variety of Witz containers, including both camo and clear, as well as Pelican cases.) Haven't actually tried any of that stuff out though.

http://www.thewaterproofcasecompany.com/

The best cache containers that Ive used are makeup foundation screw lid jars. You know, the ones that have mousse foundation in.(trying not to say the brand here for advertising purposed). I paint them in slate grey paint and they look like a stone and blend in well.

They have room for a logbook and button badges and small travel coins.

Ask the women in your life if you are not a women for the empty pots. A very good way to recycle them

Could I suggest that it's a good investment to buy high quality containers.

Firstly, you shouldn't need to replace it.

Secondly, you won't need to replace soggy contents.

Thirdly, it will save you the cost of driving out there.

Lastly, your reputation suffers if people come across a poor quality cache.

I found for anyone in the London area you can buy micro alumium bison tubes with a water tight o ring at Lee Valley along with other cool containers.For bigger containers go to K-W surplus for paint ball containers Ive had one out winter and still dry.You can also buy small pill containers at shoppers drug mart for 2-3dollars.

Ultimately, (in my mind), a good container is one that protects its contents.

Whether those contents are a torn scrap of paper, or gobs of high end swag is irrelevant.

If the container is not suitable for protecting what's in it, it sucks.

The suggestions you see on here may be geographically based, as what may work in one area won't work in another.

For Florida:

Bad containers:

PVC pipe w/caps, plugs, etc

Regarding PVC.. If you know how to seal a PVC pipe (which is used for plumbing in most homes and buildings in the US) it will be water tight.. Alas, if you are that concerned with it (this goes for PVC and any other container) put a Desiccant Dehumidifier in it (you know those little bags of crystals you get with your beef jerky..?) for insurance purposes in my all weather garden things that i have made (all of which are motorized and require that there be an amazing seal)i get from Here. Decent prices.. They work amazing.. you can even get an indicator to TEST your pvc to make sure the seal is good enough and it will even tell you when to check/replace a silica bag...

Edited by -WidgeT-

i have quite a few of the clip closed cases that you get at the beech to keep your money/phone/wallet safe (see here)

they came with giveaway products like an extendable pen, a very small screw closed capsule keyring ... now i think of it it was pretty much a cache kit, but not branded as such ... does anyone have experance of hiding/finding these? do they hold up ok

btw i am in Scotland so its not uncommon for us to get high rainfall, snow, ice, sun and wind all in one day :blink:

i have quite a few of the clip closed cases that you get at the beech to keep your money/phone/wallet safe (see here)

they came with giveaway products like an extendable pen, a very small screw closed capsule keyring ... now i think of it it was pretty much a cache kit, but not branded as such ... does anyone have experance of hiding/finding these? do they hold up ok

btw i am in Scotland so its not uncommon for us to get high rainfall, snow, ice, sun and wind all in one day :blink:

As long as they are sealed properly and the seal kept clean they do okay. As a geocache container, they do not hold up well as people are in a hurry and do not clean/seal them properly. We have found a lot of these in the Chicago area and most have taken on water.

does anyone have experance of hiding/finding these? do they hold up ok
I hid a Witz beachsafe. It was camouflaged, and it did just fine for a few years. The only reason I replaced it was because the environment changed, and I needed completely different camouflage.

My experience is that the better (more expensive) beachsafes work well, but that the cheap ones leak and break easily.

Of course, YMMV, since coastal California and Scotland have different climates.

I feel like capped off pvc pipe would work nicely

in my experience capped pvc, even the kind with threads can let in water/moisture. However, you can buy stoppers with a gasket that expands as you tighten a wing-nut. These can be very effective if cachers close it properly.

I feel like capped off pvc pipe would work nicely

in my experience capped pvc, even the kind with threads can let in water/moisture. However, you can buy stoppers with a gasket that expands as you tighten a wing-nut. These can be very effective if cachers close it properly.

I found one of these once and was surprised at the creativity. Yeah, expandable plugs like those used in boats, drains, and engines work very well as waterproofing is what they are intended for and they hold up and seal very well! (as long as cachers replace them properly)