"Challenge" Event caches?

Capaldo

I am attempting to submit an event cache that requires attendees to find a particular puzzle cache in order to attend. The point of the event is to thank those who have hunted my cache with food, drink, and token gifts, and to allow them to discuss their hunt freely, without worrying about sharing spoilers.

I discussed it with my local reviewers, and they said it probably wouldn't get approved because events must be available to all geocachers. While I think there's an argument to be made about that, I chose not to, because I can just make it a private gathering.

However, I've since read here in the forums of at least one recent event cache that required attendees to find a series of caches to get a password, in order to attend. I'm looking for examples of other event caches that have special requirements for attendees.

If there's just one or two out there, I can understand an anomaly resulting from the variances of local reviewers. But, if 'Challenge' events are accepted practice elsewhere, I'd like to present that info to my reviewers.

So, if you know of an event cache like this, please post it here.

Thanks in advance.

One of the very first things the hide page says is that there is no precedent for getting your hide approved based on another existing cache.

Thanks for that. I forgot to mention that I am well aware of that guideline. Yet, I think it's only fair that if a particular type of cache is allowed in other 'jurisdictions' that it at least be considered by the local reviewers. While the 'precedence' rule could trump my argument, I'd still appreciate any examples anyone has.

No - I've neverseen one and I would be againist it anyway. I like the idea of very open events inwhich anyone can attend - even those that are just interested in learning what Geocaching is all about.

Don't blame the reviewers for doing thier jobs and following the guidelines. The current guidelines are quite clear on both points above. Seeking an exception is not a wise pursuit of your time.

No - I've neverseen one and I would be againist it anyway. I like the idea of very open events inwhich anyone can attend - even those that are just interested in learning what Geocaching is all about.

Don't blame the reviewers for doing thier jobs and following the guidelines. The current guidelines are quite clear on both points above. Seeking an exception is not a wise pursuit of your time.

In my area, there are nearly monthly listed events, plus CITOs, plus biweekly informal dinners, so there is ample opportunity for everyone including new folks.

To be clear, I very satisfied with my local reviewers and discussed the idea with them. When I pointed out this event that requires attendees to find a series of caches in order to attend, one of the reviewers suggested I submit my event to GC.com for review. The logs look like it was well-received.

Not to start a argueement, but what about the 1/5 events where you need a boat, canoe, or kayak to get to. They are not open to everyone because not everyone has a watercraft that they can use. I would go because I do have one. I think he brings up a good point. Why can he not have a event like that? :D

However, I've since read here in the forums of at least one recent event cache that required attendees to find a series of caches to get a password, in order to attend. I'm looking for examples of other event caches that have special requirements for attendees.

If there's just one or two out there, I can understand an anomaly resulting from the variances of local reviewers. But, if 'Challenge' events are accepted practice elsewhere, I'd like to present that info to my reviewers.

So, if you know of an event cache like this, please post it here.

Here's one that sounds similar to the type you are envisioning: GCWB8G

In my area, there are nearly monthly listed events, plus CITOs, plus biweekly informal dinners, so there is ample opportunity for everyone including new folks.

To be clear, I very satisfied with my local reviewers and discussed the idea with them. When I pointed out this event that requires attendees to find a series of caches in order to attend, one of the reviewers suggested I submit my event to GC.com for review. The logs look like it was well-received.

Perhaps this statement on the referenced cache page was overlooked:

Listed with permission from Groundspeak.

The way I see it anybody can attend an event like this. It is open to all geocachers. It's just up to them if they want to make the effort.

I am attempting to submit an event cache that requires attendees to find a particular puzzle cache in order to attend. The point of the event is to thank those who have hunted my cache with food, drink, and token gifts, and to allow them to discuss their hunt freely, without worrying about sharing spoilers.

Sounds like a private party to me. Event postings aren't for private parties. Since you can easily see who has solved and logged your puzzle, you can just privately invite them to your get-together. The only reason to publish it as an event would to rub it in the faces of those who can't attend.

Edited by Prime Suspect

The only reason to publish it as an event would to rub it in the faces of those who can't attend.

I can understand why it might be perceived that way, but nope. My reason for wanting to publish it as an event is so I can utilize all the functionality of the cache page to facilitate hosting the event. It will make it much easier to get the information and any updates attendees, and allow them to post their logs and pictures, etc.

The cache isn't really all that hard, even though the logs play it up, and anyone who asks for help gets it from me or past finders. Here's a link to it.

Edited to fix link - wrong lizard :D

Edited by Capaldo

I'm sure they are not trying to make a event that no one attends. It sounds like they are trying to do something different that may even be talked about for awhile. I hope it works out for you. :D

Thanks for the support :D Whether or not it gets published on GC.com. we'll have fun.

I'm aware of several such events. Like the example linked above, they were placed with special permission from Groundspeak. The volunteer cache reviewers properly referred the event organizers to Groundspeak to seek an exception to the listing guidelines.

If you'd like for your case to be considered like those other ones, write to appeals @ geocaching.com.