Geocoin etiquette

bluepigninjas

Having "launched" my first Geocoin (BluePigNinja-C Geocoin) I was pleased to see within a month it had traveled about 160 miles.

However, someone has been holding my coin now since Nov 9th. I am just wondering if there is a general rule of thumb of long you should wait before you ask the holder whether they could move it along?

Thanks!

Having "launched" my first Geocoin (BluePigNinja-C Geocoin) I was pleased to see within a month it had traveled about 160 miles.

However, someone has been holding my coin now since Nov 9th. I am just wondering if there is a general rule of thumb of long you should wait before you ask the holder whether they could move it along?

Thanks!

2 months is long enough to move it. I would send them a gentle nudge email asking them politely if they still have it and to move it along if they do. It's also possible they dropped it somewhere without logging the drop.

Edited by KJcachers

I had a coin for about 2 weeks and misplaced it. I was trying very hard to find it so I could move it along, when I got a nasty email from the owner accusing me of stealing it. I stopped looking after that.

Came across it when cleaning out a drawer and finally moved it along after about 7 months.

I'm not happy that I held onto it for that length of time. But after the nasty gram I got from the owner, I no longer cared. Had they sent me a polite email asking me about it, instead of accusing me of stealing it, I'd have kept looking and probably moved it along much sooner.

Edited by BRTango

I had a coin for about 2 weeks and misplaced it. I was trying very hard to find it so I could move it along, when I got a nasty email from the owner accusing me of stealing it. I stopped looking after that.

Came across it when cleaning out a drawer and finally moved it along after about 7 months.

I'm not happy that I held onto it for that length of time. But after the nasty gram I got from the owner, I no longer cared. Had they sent me a polite email asking me about it, instead of accusing me of stealing it, I'd have kept looking and probably moved it along much sooner.

I've never heard of receiving a "theft accusation e-mail" after holding onto a geocoin for only 2 weeks, is there more to the story here? Was the geocoin owner a newbie?

Even though the e-mail was out-of-line, it's still not a reason to stop searching for the coin in your possession (especially holding onto it for 7 months).

Edited by trailpuppy