Newly Published Cache Not Published

NickPick

I received my Friday morning email from Groundspeak, and the nearest newly published cache is only 0.6 miles from my co-ordinates. I click to have a look at The Cache Page and get "Sorry, you cannot view this cache listing until it has been published. "

What's going on here then? I would have thought it wouldn't send the list of caches if they haven't been published yet.

I received my Friday morning email from Groundspeak, and the nearest newly published cache is only 0.6 miles from my co-ordinates. I click to have a look at The Cache Page and get "Sorry, you cannot view this cache listing until it has been published. "

What's going on here then? I would have thought it wouldn't send the list of caches if they haven't been published yet.

Sounds like it has been un-published... We had one like that near us. Was published, we downloaded details and headed out to find it. After a successful find we got home to log it and found it had been un-published due to permission issues with it's placement.

J

What do you have to do wrong to get a cache unpublished ??

Put it on Forestry commission land without permission!

Personally I would of thought it better for the cache placing permission to be confirmed PRIOR to it being published, rather than after and then un-publishing it if permission was not given. Saves a lot of confusion and indeed cache hunts that can then not be logged.

J

J

Those usually get archived rather than published and then unpublished.

In fact our very first cache placement was on FC land without permision it got archived after one find it still shows in our profile.

J

Here's the link to the cache in question (GC16YRB), but of course, it's unpublished, so you can't see much.... I do have my original GPX download of it still though [:lol:]

J

J

Here's the link to the cache in question (GC16YRB), but of course, it's unpublished, so you can't see much.... I do have my original GPX download of it still though [:lol:]

J

Aha B) now that was quick off the mark ive got some gpx files like that in my db there was an interesting one in scotland where it was unpublished and the co ords changed.

<snippety snip>Personally I would of thought it better for the cache placing permission to be confirmed PRIOR to it being published,

It already has/should have been: according to the submission guidelines, every cache must have that permission, saying: “By submitting a cache listing, you assure us that you have adequate permission to hide your cache in the selected location". :lol:

Retraction is an unusual action for a Reviewer to take, and is done to remove the details from public view for a several reasons.

i: There are extreme issues with it, where the standard action of Archiving is not sufficient.

ii: Immediately after publishing the Reviewer spots a issue, that was missed before hitting the publish button and which is sufficient to prevent publication. Retraction allows the Reviewer to request the owner to rectify the issue so that it can properly be published.

iii: And the one I'm most guilty of :lol: , the owner has requested a delayed publication but the Reviewer trying to provide a fast service missed the Reviewer note requesting it. Hence the retraction, which is followed by publication on the requested date B)B)

Sorry I'm not telling you what reason this one was retracted :lol: , you'll just have to wait and see if its re published in the future :huh:

Ok just a quicky related question, I got an Instanotify the other day while I was sat at my computer. It was unpublished by the time I clicked the link but in the past, I've had details and then they've been retracted.

Thing is, all my Notify subscriptions have the Retract listing box ticked so shouldn't I have got another notification to tell me that if I have the details and am about to head out on an FTF hunt, that I shouldn't?

So the answer is simple, the caches were intended to be released in time for the nearby cache bash. Nothing mysterious or otherwise, but just a matter of the cache page being visible too soon. Thanks Eckington for your diligence in publishing them in good time, but be careful in future :)

Oh by the way, sorry you were not there when I was, you missed the cake!