Newcomers

redneon

Myself and my girlfriend have just discovered this whole Geocaching thing and we think it looks really fun so we want to get into it. Partly because of the orienteering/puzzle aspect but also because we love walking the dog and it'd be a great way for him and us to find new places to explore.

I'm extremely surprised at just how many caches there are near us. We live in quite a small village near Rotherham and didn't expect there to be many around. Maybe one or two in Rotherham/Doncaster/Barnsley but I expected them to be mainly in Sheffield which is a bit far out, really. I was pleasently proven wrong and even moreso by the fact that there's one within walking distance from our house at Manvers!

Our main concern at the minute is getting a GPS device. We've got a TomTom but I can't imagine they'd be very good for this kind of thing so we're looking for a cheapish hanheld GPS device to get us started if anyone can recommend one or point me us the right direction?

My mobile phone contract is due an upgrade and I believe I can upgrade to a Blackberry Pearl which has built in GPS for £60 but if I could get a handheld one for around this price I'd rather do that.

Myself and my girlfriend have just discovered this whole Geocaching thing and we think it looks really fun so we want to get into it. Partly because of the orienteering/puzzle aspect but also because we love walking the dog and it'd be a great way for him and us to find new places to explore.

I'm extremely surprised at just how many caches there are near us. We live in quite a small village near Rotherham and didn't expect there to be many around. Maybe one or two in Rotherham/Doncaster/Barnsley but I expected them to be mainly in Sheffield which is a bit far out, really. I was pleasently proven wrong and even moreso by the fact that there's one within walking distance from our house at Manvers!

Our main concern at the minute is getting a GPS device. We've got a TomTom but I can't imagine they'd be very good for this kind of thing so we're looking for a cheapish hanheld GPS device to get us started if anyone can recommend one or point me us the right direction?

My mobile phone contract is due an upgrade and I believe I can upgrade to a Blackberry Pearl which has built in GPS for £60 but if I could get a handheld one for around this price I'd rather do that.

Welcome the wonderful and sometimes mysterious world of tupperware hunting. :lol:

Iwas lucky I started off with a Geko 210 which I used for a previous hobby and soon found that I need a better GPS i.e. one that worked in heavy foliage and I could view a map on, so I bought a Garmin 60Csx………..£250 plus

I think if I’d had started form scratch, as you are, then I would bite the bullet and spend a few bob now rather than spending £60 and finding out that when you’re in a woodland you’re walking round in circles because you can't get a signal! But then I guess it depends on how much you can afford.

Good luck

TLHM

I agree entirely with the Lavender Hill Mob. When I started, I bought a cheap unit, but then became very frustrated when it wouldn't work in the woods, which is where a large proprtion of caches are hidden. I also upgraded to a GPSMap60Csx and although three times the price, I would never go back to the other one which I just keep as a spare. It even works indoors!

I also use a TomTom which, in conjunction with MemoryMap gets me right to the nearest parking place with ease.

Edited by Fuchsiamagic

Welcome!!

I started with a yellow e-trex basic but works well.

If you go for the phone with gps route (my current config) get yourself a copy of memory map.

Take your time to explore the getting started sections and the forums, it will all make sense once you start caching.

Happy hunting!

Edited by Father Jack

We started in October 2007 and bought the EtrexH for £80 but upgraded to the 60csx last week for £235, it is so much easier to use, I haven't tried it in woods yet so can't compare the accuracy. I was going to say that I wish I had bought the 60csx first but if I had I wouldn't appreciate how much easier it is to use, I love the Geocache utility on it. Saying that the EtrexH was perfectly adequate - a budget car will take you to the same place as a posh luxury one, it's just the difference in enjoying the journey!

Thanks for the help everyone.

I wish I had the kind of money to spend £200+ on a GPS device :lol: I'm sure I'll end up upgrading in the future but as we're both newcomers it isn't really feasible to spend that kind of money on something that we could end up not enjoying.

I am wondering if I'd get a better GPS signal from a GPS enabled mobile than I would from a cheap handheld GPS device, though.

Father Jack: Which phone is it you have? I don't necessarily have to go for a Blackberry.

I am wondering if I'd get a better GPS signal from a GPS enabled mobile than I would from a cheap handheld GPS device, though.

As someone who has both a cheap handheld GPSr [Etrex H + Serial Cable] and a PDA/Smartphone that has a built-in GPSr [T-Mobile MDA Vario III (aka HTC TyTnII)] I feel I am qualified to comment on this.

Although the PDA/Smartphone is great for short walks [less than 4 hours, unless you have a spare battery or external power source] and you can use either MemoryMap or Mapyx Quo Mobile with OSI maps [Landranger 1:50000 or 1:25000] which work great. These devices are little or no use in bad weather [unless you have an OtterBox or other weather-proof case] and the accuracy is usually seriously out when used in woodland, dense forest or enclosed areas, such as deep gorges, etc. This is fine for light geo-caching in clear open sky areas, as the accuracy will be between 3-9 Metres, in woodland it could be 15-80 metres.

The Etrex H solves many of these issues, as it is a rugged, waterproof device that can work continuously for 17-20hrs on a set of AA batteries. It is also a high sensitivity receiver designed to perform even in dense woodland, etc. This is fine for light to heavy geo-caching in almost any area, as the accuracy will be between 1-3 Metres or better.

Personally, I use both whenever I'm out geocaching, along with a printed map of the area, a compass [real one, such as the ones made by Silva], along with waterproofs, thermos, torch, hiking staff, and so on. I don't drive or have access to a car, so it is either public transport or getting there under my own steam.

Some of the other Garmin models are suitable, especially the H models as these are the most accurate in poor conditions, as well as good ones.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

Edited by talkytoaster

Have you tried Aldi? They have Geko's for £69.

I'm using an MDA Vario II and bluetooth GPS, but battery life is a bit short. The GPS is really good, even indoors! I already had the phone when I started caching in September so bought a cheap bluetooth GPS from eBay in case I got bored of caching. It's worryingly addictive :D .

If you like orienteering there's a really good cache in Graves Park, Sheffield called 'Don't follow the arrow'. You need to get letters off the orienteering posts (which are in the process of being renewed) then use these to work out coordinates. The park also has another cache, rare breads centre, cafe and children's playground. Our dog loves it there.

Karen

We started off with a Magellan 315. These are dead cheap on Ebay, can connect to your PC for downloading points and works great under tree cover (much better than the yellow Garmins). We have used ours a lot in Epping Forest. There is also an even cheaper Magellan 300 but I dont believe that connects to the PC.

They are really tough and waterproof (I have dropped mine in a stream before).

They do look a bit old and are bulky but they are great. There used to be a few ex-Army ones kicking about on Ebay etc.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MAGELLAN-GPS-315-320...1QQcmdZViewItem

Father Jack: Which phone is it you have? I don't necessarily have to go for a Blackberry.

I have been using a nokia n95 and although I am new to geocaching I really cannot fault this phone, it gets a gps fix indoors (near a window) I have a whole ruck of gps software installed on it and working, these include tomtom mobile with Uk and ireland,italy and florida maps installed this program needs an external gps unit.

but I have other programs installed that use the phones internal gps, these are garmin mobile xt with topogb maps, atlantic uk bluechart and uk navigator maps installed together and working faultlessy, but the program that I am using for geocaching is called smartcom gps, I use this in conjunction with memorymap landranger 1:25 maps that I calibrate in oziexplorer and drop straight onto the phone.....this phone is incredible oh I forgot to mention that I also have route66 mobile7 installed with the uk and ireland map...all this coupled with a load of music and photos and it has only used 2398mb of my 4gb memory card.

it hot fixes wonderfully, even in the woods...I have spare batteries and keep it in a small tupperware container.

Edited by paulc1
I have been using a nokia n95...

I've just ordered this phone as an upgrade on my contract so hopefully it'll do us in good stead for our first few caches. As soon as I realise that it's not just a fad then I don't mind spending money on getting a good GPS device.

We're planning to do our first cache next weekend and we're really looking forward to it too. I'll be sure to report back and tell you that the N95 couldn't get a fix, as Sod's Law will probably dictate :)

Edited by redneon