Most Explorists, Roadmates officially EOL'ed by Magellan

robertlipe

A strict reading of the product list at http://www.magellangps.com/support/obsoleteProducts.asp shows that not every Explorist is officially discontinued, but you can read between the lines and figure that if firmware updates and support for, say, the "Explorist 600 Geocache Bundle" are dropped that the support for Explorist 600 itself isn't far behind. (Just in case you thought that message for the missing firmare update for the 2006 change of WAAS configuration wasn't clear enough...)

With the announcement of Triton, Explorist had to see this coming. Now that they have Triton all squared away in the market place, it's time to officially start dropping its predecessor.

I'm a little surprised to see four digit RoadMates on the list as some of those have had a run of a little over a year - well under the Explorist life cycle, even.

I think Magellan droping the explorist line is a stupid move.

With all the problems trition owners are having.

and with the lose of the ability to have several files stored on the SD card.

Then a battery life of about three hours as reported in the yahoo triton forums.

I just do not see the tritons being around very long.

While I like the idea of National Geographic Topo map support, that is not enough. I was all set

to buy a Triton. Now unless there are major improvments made I will not buy one.

I am going to buy another explorist 500 while there are some left to be gotten.

Hmmmm, I was surprised to not see the 210 on that list. I tried to get my Explorist screen fixed by Magellan and they told I was pretty much out of luck as they are discontinuing it. That doesn't seem to be true....yet. I think they have really taken a step back with the release of the Triton and discontinuing all of the models they are. Heck, I thought the 500LE is less than a year old.

By the way, does anyone know where else folks send their Exploists to be repaired? I know there are a few places out there that I might be able to get a part from.

Thanks!

I just tried calling their "tech support" to ask about the the 210 and all they could tell me was to check the website for all the information I needed.

The website shows the eXplorist product line as the 100,210,500LE,600 and XL all the rest are gone from the site.

Edited by KJcachers

For those that are interested, I just saw on Costco's website that they have the 500LE for $119.99 after $50 mail in rebate. Not sure if there is any topo 3d software included like there has been in the past but still not a bad deal for a servicable unit if you aren't concerned about customer service. Mine has worked fine since I received it over a year ago and I haven't had to deal with customer service to this point.

Although some of the new units coming out are intriguing since I love to buy new "toys", I can't justify the price at this point. Yet!

Now that they have Triton all squared away in the market place...

Bwahaha, you almost made my coffee come out my nose. I heard as of yesterday REI has recalled all the Triton line until Magellan provides them with reasonably functioning units (at least, this is the info the sales guy I bought my Garmin Colorado from told me). I haven't returned my Triton 2000 yet, I'm giving Magellan one more update before I give up on them forever.

Yes, Marky, that was wry.

The higher volume units that aren't bundles may not be pulled yet, but an increasing number of folks are reporting that Magellan isn't repairing them as their own support reps are calling them discontinued (see above on a 210 repair) and a number of responses that they aren't going to fix the WAAS problem makes the writing on the wall pretty clear.

Meridian didn't hang on long after Explorist left the chamber.

I think Magellan droping the explorist line is a stupid move.

I am going to buy another explorist 500 while there are some left to be gotten.

I did buy a second 500 when I thought I had lost mine. They let me redo the serial number so I could use directroute with the second unit. Then I found the first one, but I can't load any new maps on it. I thought about buying a new directroute just in case it all goes away, but I read on another thread that on the Magellan website the unlock codes for directroute were not working, whether you bought it from Magellan or someone else.

So, my question is, has anyone recently bought and successfully installed directroute on their eXplorist?

I use Topo on my Explorist, for my taste I do not like using a hand held for driving directions

well, I do like using my 500 for driving directions, but your reply gives me an idea... it would be fine to have directroute on one of my 500's and topo on the other, but that still leaves the question, has anyone RECENTLY bought either program and successfully used the unlock code to download it to your gps?

I have the Explorist 210 and I assume that's what they're referring to when they say the 200 is discontinued. Their site doesn't show a 200 model....

Anyway, anyone notice that the Explorist XL isn't on the list... maybe that's the only Explorist they're going to keep so there is at least 1 Explorist model still out there?

I've been looking at the Crossover on Ebay. My friend I usually cache with just received it for Christmas. Magellan web site says it's 499, but most places have it for 399. Her husband picked it up at Walmart on sale for $289! I was watching a few on Ebay and some have gone for as low as $190 with $25 shipping. We've used it for driving directions as well as caching and love it. Have to say the only drawback is she also just got a new computer and it wont work with Vista but she just does everything with her SD card instead.

Still loving my Explorist 210 for now. Hey, it does what it's supposed to do (help me find caches!), and I haven't had any problems with it yet (fingers crossed).

Just my .02......

Tracy

the nail in the coffin. I buy the top o'the line eXplorist, preorder. In the years since that purchase I have had exactly 1 (ONE) firmware update. gee, thanks for all the 'support.' I hope the triton goes down in flames. I hope they update it as much as the explorist. Goodbye magellan. never again. Anyone want a slightly used Platinum?

I have the Explorist 210 and I assume that's what they're referring to when they say the 200 is discontinued. Their site doesn't show a 200 model....

Anyway, anyone notice that the Explorist XL isn't on the list... maybe that's the only Explorist they're going to keep so there is at least 1 Explorist model still out there?

I've been looking at the Crossover on Ebay. My friend I usually cache with just received it for Christmas. Magellan web site says it's 499, but most places have it for 399. Her husband picked it up at Walmart on sale for $289! I was watching a few on Ebay and some have gone for as low as $190 with $25 shipping. We've used it for driving directions as well as caching and love it. Have to say the only drawback is she also just got a new computer and it wont work with Vista but she just does everything with her SD card instead.

Still loving my Explorist 210 for now. Hey, it does what it's supposed to do (help me find caches!), and I haven't had any problems with it yet (fingers crossed).

Just my .02......

Tracy

Costco has had the Crossover for $229 since before Christmas. And, if you don't like it you can return it to Costco for a full refund. Not a bad deal really.