Garmin Colorado 400t - First impressions / info / topo comparison

IndyJpr

40 Seconds To Boot up...and some other issues?

I guess my 60Csx will have to do until a couple firmware updates are made.

i just bought my 400t and its taking 20 seconds, literally. It loads the map and stuff in 20 and i think thats pretty quick, if you ask me. Hope the rest of yous get that patched.

Also, im about to register and update my product.... where can I find the serial number on the Colorado? Im able to find it on my 60cx, but not this one. Also, when i attach my 400t to the pc it goes storage device on me. Help.

Thanks!

Edited by DodgerBlues

40 Seconds To Boot up...and some other issues?

I guess my 60Csx will have to do until a couple firmware updates are made.

i just bought my 400t and its taking 20 seconds, literally. It loads the map and stuff in 20 and i think thats pretty quick, if you ask me. Hope the rest of yous get that patched.

Also, im about to register and update my product.... where can I find the serial number on the Colorado? Im able to find it on my 60cx, but not this one. Also, when i attach my 400t to the pc it goes storage device on me. Help.

Thanks!

Boot time was fixed in 2.4

Serial number is inside the battery compartment--you'll have to remove the batteries.

Colorado always goes into USB mode when attached to a computer

GO$Rs

I gotta love the way City Navigator works with this neat gadget. Has anyone hooked it up in the car? That screen gets bright!!!

Oh yeah! I've been autonavigating with my 300 and City Select v7 to my cache outings to get me to the trailheads. I love it plugged into the DC plug. The screen is bright and brilliant. Just awesome.

TITLE: I am returning my 400T this is why:

I've been Geocaching now for less than a year and have been using my 60CSx and love it.I'm a techno geek and must have the latest and best of anything so I bought a 400T today. I did even after reading all the negative stuff but some good stuff also.Well, I'm very disappointed to the point where I am returning it tomorrow and will probably just continue to use my 60CSx until Garmin fixes the problems with the 400T. Here is what I've found I don't like about the 400T:

1. Yes, it is way to dim. In the store it looked fine but I took it outside when I got home and it was HARD to see the screen because of it being to dim. I turned on the backlight all the way and it was still to dim. I had it next to the 60CSx and the difference was like night and day....this was not acceptable.

2. Boot time REALLY SLOW

3. Satellite reception- really poor compared to the 60CSx. When both were next to each other outside where there are some trees (I live in Oregon) the 60CSx had 10 satellites where the 400T had only 4. Inside my house, the 60CSx was able to maintain 8 satellites and the 400T droppd down to 1. I think the 400T has a really crappy receiver.

4. Must take many many steps from point A to point B where with the 60CSx you only had maybe 4-5max.

5. Here was the worst problem. I use NiMH batteries in my 60CSx and I attempted to use them in the 400T. On boot up you get the screen and after a short while, it just turned itself OFF. I have tried using known fully charge batteries and no difference. I would use alkaline batterie though. Does this mean I have one of those defective units? I'm not sure.

6. I want to load both my maps and waypoints to the SD card which I put in the unti. NO GO. One would only load to the internal memory and the other to the SD card. I don't want both in the internal memory.

At this point, I'm returning the unit tomorrow after work. If they want to exchange to see if the other one works properly, I'll give that a try for a day or two. If I don't see any changes, I'll return it for a full refund. Does anyone have any advice regarding the 400T. Should I keep and tell me why. Convince me that this isn't just a Triton with a Garmin label. Or am I doing the right thing in returning it and continue using my 60CSx until these problems are FIXED.

And you are using latest firmware?

i really doubt it. you must update to the latest version. You'll be thankful. I have a Garmin 60cx and have hte Colorado 400t and i really like the bright screen the 400t has. Are you sure you turned up the backlight? (press power button and use the knob to turn up the brightness).

Also, recheargeable batteries lose their capacity as they age. Its always best to buy new batteries for a new product you will be using a lot. If you put rechargeables in a remote control and leave the remote for 6 months, you will notice the battery has drained about 80% and ready for recharging. Also, rechargeables arent made to pack a whole lot of power, just enough to run things long enough. Sanyo has released a great set of batteries that pack a whopping 2700mAh, compared to the normal 1500-2000mAh on other rechargeables. Also their eniloop series are great for remote controls and stuff, they are made not to drain much like Alkalines for just sitting.

Hope I helped.

1. Yes, it is way to dim. In the store it looked fine but I took it outside when I got home and it was HARD to see the screen because of it being to dim. I turned on the backlight all the way and it was still to dim. I had it next to the 60CSx and the difference was like night and day....this was not acceptable.
Probably good you are returning it, since it isn't going to get any better. That said, I have no issues with viewing the screen in any conditions. But if you don't like it, you should return it because it isn't going to change much with firmware updates.

2. Boot time REALLY SLOW
Mine boots up in 21 seconds. Is that what you consider slow? Or maybe you didn't update to version 2.40?

5. Here was the worst problem. I use NiMH batteries in my 60CSx and I attempted to use them in the 400T. On boot up you get the screen and after a short while, it just turned itself OFF. I have tried using known fully charge batteries and no difference. I would use alkaline batterie though. Does this mean I have one of those defective units? I'm not sure.
Definitely a defective unit. Updating the firmware might help some, but it sounds defective to me.

6. I want to load both my maps and waypoints to the SD card which I put in the unti. NO GO. One would only load to the internal memory and the other to the SD card. I don't want both in the internal memory.
I'm not sure what you are trying to do here. What two maps are you talking about? I know you can load more than one map onto an SD card.

--Marky

Definitely a defective unit. Updating the firmware might help some, but it sounds defective to me.

Regarding your "worst problem:"

It sounds to me that your unit is set incorrectly and just needs to be changed. No defective hardware should be suspected until you do the following:

1) Place a fresh pair of alkaline batteries in the unit.

2) Update to the latest firmware (2.40 or later, depending on when you do this.)

3) With the alkaline batteries still in the unit, turn the unit on and go to Setup ... System ... Battery Type. Make sure you see where and how to change the battery type. Change the setting to NiMH, replace the batteries with NiMH batteries and then see how the unit responds.

If this doesn't help, try a different pair of NiMH batteries. You may have a bad battery, contact, or some other issue.

Side note: I "baked" my Colorado 400t yesterday afternoon and totally forgot that it was on and hanging outside. This morning I removed the pair of Precharged Duracell NiMH 2000s and tested those batteries. One measured 1.170 volts and the other measured 1.166 volts. These values may represent the bottom of the usable voltage for proper operation, but I suspect the unit could operate a bit longer. Also, I'm not aware of the exact performance curve for these batteries, but suspect that the voltage drops quickly at this point. If this is not the case (lets say a GPSmap60 gets considerably more operation time at this voltage), I think this voltage flag point should be modified.

I am sure these issues are being looked into by Garmin in an attempt to get more use from the NiMH batteries. I am about to test this for myself, having recent acquired a GPSmap 60 (non-color, base unit) and will see how long this unit runs on the 2.336 combined volts of this pair of batteries.

Edit: THAT didn't take long! 2 minutes in the GPSmap 60 before the NiMHs pooped out (Batteries Low condidtion) with 1.142 V and 1.138 V respectively. This tells me two things: The low battery condition on the Colorado 400t is set correctly AND these particular batteries are out of the flat part of the performance curve and dropping fast.

Edited by LifeOnEdge!

Update for everyone:

First I apologize for being so harse on the 400T. I was so anxious for it to do everything I hoped it would. As I said, I took the unit back with a complete report. That night I did more research and went back to Sportsman's the next night and after about an hour of chatting I repurchased a new unit and took it home. The problems with this new unit were gone. I used it today for geocaching and it lead me to everyone with awesome acuracy. Yes the screen is dimmer than the 60CSx but I turn the backlight to 75%. I had it on all day and after 9 hours the battery meter finally dropped to 1 bar. I used it side by side with my 60CSx in clearings and trees. The Colorado outperformed the 60. In the trees where the 60 dropped to 38 ft the Colorado was at 20 ft. I saw no significant problems. This is a different animal. As I read somewhere else, this is not your fathers GPS. I must say I'm a convert and am keeping it. Anxious for my auto kit.

Steve :(

Edited by stroute

Steve,

Glad to hear that you gave the Colorado a second chance. I was fairly certain that you had a bad unit and that you'd be happy with a properly functioning unit. It really is a sweet little device, once you embrace it's few little quirks (of which, many should go away over time via firmware updates).

In the last 2 days I've added 15 geocaches to my lot. I used both the 60CSx and the Colorado next to each other and I can say the the Colorado outperformed the 60CSx. When I got home tonight I ordered the Garmin City Navigator 2008 NT and the auto nav kit for the Colorado. I've heard that you can layer the City Nav maps on top of the built in topos....will report later on how it's working. So far, albiet the dimmer screen, I love it and the battery life is no problem. Steve :o

I've searched the many forum posts about the Colorado but can't find this answer. Can someone tell me what type of GPS chipset it uses? The handbook and Garmin say it is just 'high sensitivity'. Is it the same as the higher end Garmin units 60cx etc? or something different.
As I understand the Colorado uses a proprietary chipset, not a SIRF chipset like the 60CSx. So it will be difficult to compare. Their have been many post by owners of both 60's and Colorado's and the consensus seems to be they are equally sensitive.
I've searched the many forum posts about the Colorado but can't find this answer. Can someone tell me what type of GPS chipset it uses? The handbook and Garmin say it is just 'high sensitivity'. Is it the same as the higher end Garmin units 60cx etc? or something different.
As I understand the Colorado uses a proprietary chipset, not a SIRF chipset like the 60CSx. So it will be difficult to compare. Their have been many post by owners of both 60's and Colorado's and the consensus seems to be they are equally sensitive.

I believe that most of the Colorados are using a Media Tek (MTK MT3318) GPS chip set.

Colorados seem to be following the Nuvis. There is some discussion of the different chipsets here.

GO$Rs

The Colorado 400t is the best GPS for geocaching! I love it! I spent the day yesterday putting the unit to the test and it comes up 5 stars out of 5! First, I downloaded all the caches in a 10 mile radius from the geocaching.com website to my GPS. The caches show up with appropriate icons on my GPS map. Then I just started working thru the caches one after another. If you start with the closest cache (and yes, the unit will show you which one is closest), you can access all the same info about the cache on your GPS that you can access on geocaching.com website (i.e., description, hints, coordinates, logs). And, my favorite part, is you can "log" your success. After you "log" the cache find on the GPS, you can choose the option to go to the next closest geocache. I was able to "power cache" my way through six caches yesterday in a 5 mile radius.

Edited by yukionna

i am hoping someone can help me make a decision on if i need the 300 or the 400t. i live in canada so the us topo maps are not really a plus for the 400t but i dont know if i buy the maps for canada can i get the 3d imaging on the 300 or is the feature only on the 400t? also if it is only available on the 400t can i use the canadian topos and still get the 3d imaging???

i am presently using a magellan 4000xl so either would be a huge upgrade, i was looking at the magellan triton but after all of the troubles showing with them i thought i would go with the lesser of 2 evils in the colorado, at least garmin is trying to fix the problems, although the 3 axis compass would have been nice to see on the colorado.

am looking forward to the paperless geocaching properties of the colorado.

i am not that much of a tech guy so all info would be very appreciated. thanks

You can read about the differences between the 300 and 400t here, but I'm guessing if you don't need the US Topo maps you are going to want to save the money and buy a 300.

According to what I've read the Canada 2008 TOPO does include DEM so the Colorado (300 or 400t) can display the 3D view. Maybe someone who owns the CD version can confirm this though.

GO$Rs

According to what I've read the Canada 2008 TOPO does include DEM so the Colorado (300 or 400t) can display the 3D view. Maybe someone who owns the CD version can confirm this though.

There is no such thing.

The current version of Topo Canada is Version 2 and came out around 5 years ago. No DEM data.

edit: Apparently they added DEM data to the pre-programmed card. Still not available on CD.

Edited by Red90

i am hoping someone can help me make a decision on if i need the 300 or the 400t. i live in canada so the us topo maps are not really a plus for the 400t but i dont know if i buy the maps for canada can i get the 3d imaging on the 300 or is the feature only on the 400t? also if it is only available on the 400t can i use the canadian topos and still get the 3d imaging???

i am presently using a magellan 4000xl so either would be a huge upgrade, i was looking at the magellan triton but after all of the troubles showing with them i thought i would go with the lesser of 2 evils in the colorado, at least garmin is trying to fix the problems, although the 3 axis compass would have been nice to see on the colorado.

am looking forward to the paperless geocaching properties of the colorado.

i am not that much of a tech guy so all info would be very appreciated. thanks

You can definitely get away with a 300, as g-o-cachers is suggesting. For Canadian Topo, you can get free maps from ibycus, he has a website for the downloads.

If you are looking for routing, you'll need to either get City Navigator or Garmin's Topo Canada ( I don't know how current the roads are for Topo Canada, though ).

thanks for all the info everyone it looks like i will purchase the 300. on the cards vs cd maps the only cards i see here (lebaron catalog) are on the micro sd cards not the sd card that the colorado takes hopfully i will be able to get one that had the dem stuff added. on other topics i see people complaining about having the maps preprogrammed to the device so that they cant use it on the computer, is this the same if you use the card maps or can the card info be put to the computer????

thanks for all the info everyone it looks like i will purchase the 300. on the cards vs cd maps the only cards i see here (lebaron catalog) are on the micro sd cards not the sd card that the colorado takes hopfully i will be able to get one that had the dem stuff added. on other topics i see people complaining about having the maps preprogrammed to the device so that they cant use it on the computer, is this the same if you use the card maps or can the card info be put to the computer????

Micro-SD cards work in the Colorado. You just need an SD card adapter, which I believe comes with the card. However, they are a bad choice.

1) They can not be used on a computer.

2) They are expensive.

Edited by Red90

I don't think it has ever locked up while doing that. But it takes a noticeable time to format the description and display it.

It couldn't properly format at least one cache description, generated by a PQ at the Groundspeak site. I don't know why.

I've tried with about 2600 caches installed, max.

I've had other lockups, but they are being taken care of as they are discovered.

apersson, I have a small single cache .gpx file which will freeze the 400t. It has something to do with the logs in the description of this particular cache, but I'm not sure exactly what. With this gpx file loaded into the unit if I go the Geocache page, select Options->Show Description the unit will completely freeze. Battery removal is required to get started again.

If you know someone at Garmin who would be interested contact me through my profile and I'll send it along to them.

GO$Rs

apersson, I have a small single cache .gpx file which will freeze the 400t. It has something to do with the logs in the description of this particular cache, but I'm not sure exactly what. With this gpx file loaded into the unit if I go the Geocache page, select Options->Show Description the unit will completely freeze. Battery removal is required to get started again.

If you know someone at Garmin who would be interested contact me through my profile and I'll send it along to them.

GO$Rs

I had a problem with a track file locking up the Oregon. I used a text editor and found some garbage characters in the date stamp, changed the date and the problem went away.

I also save a waypoint under a tree canopy and had the same problem, garbage characters in the date section. I edited the date and the waypoint worked again. Maybe Garmin needs a date verification check sum in the firmware to verify a valid date has been entered or save to the last known date?

Edited by LanD HO!

I read through some of the first and all of the last page of this thread and didn't see it mentioned. My friend just got the 400t and wants to download cache waypoints along with the cache page information into it. She has had success doing one at a time but this of course is not going to work. Is there is a way to download from a query and get both the waypoints and the cache descriptions into the unit?

By the way, she normally runs her queries in the gpx format, puts them in gsak, then downloads them into her gpsr.

Loading PQs to the Colorado is the preferred way. If you are downloading PQs and you want both the waypoints and geocaches copy both .gpx files in the PQ into [drive]:\Garmin\GPX .

Details on how to do this can be found here:

http://garmincolorado.wikispaces.com/Geocaching

In GSAK as long as she is including child waypoints in her GPX export the waypoints should be included in the gpx file.

On the unit the waypoints show up under WhereTo?>Waypoints, not under Geocaches.

GO$Rs

Edited by g-o-cashers

I got a question that maybe someone can answer.

My 400t I've loaded with CN 2007 but I can't seem to get it to nav on the streets. It just does a line right to the cache or place I want to go. I had changed the setting to follow the roads but that didn't seem to help. I'm sure this is just a setting problem but am about to go on a trip new weekend and would like to be able to use turn by turn directions or I guess "auto routing".

Also one other question

For some reason when I have selected a geocache and am in route to it I can't pan on the map but if I select a waypoint or POI, I can still pan around and look at the map. Just wondering it others have noticed this as well. I do like it when I'm headed to a cache to be able to pan around and look at the route but all I can do is zoom in and out.

Loading PQs to the Colorado is the preferred way. If you are downloading PQs and you want both the waypoints and geocaches copy both .gpx files in the PQ into [drive]:\Garmin\GPX .

Details on how to do this can be found here:

http://garmincolorado.wikispaces.com/Geocaching

In GSAK as long as she is including child waypoints in her GPX export the waypoints should be included in the gpx file.

On the unit the waypoints show up under WhereTo?>Waypoints, not under Geocaches.

GO$Rs

Thank you very much,,, we'll try out the third method listed on garminwikispaces the next time i see her!

Has anyone noticed a possible interference from cell phones? I often hike and record tracks. Three times the tracks went whacky. The third time, I noticed it was exactly when I received a cell phone call. As soon as the call was over, the GPS went to the correct location. When I thought back to the other two times that things went bad, I was pretty sure those were when calls were received, also. If there is a problem, I'd assume it isn't with every model of cell phone since different providers probably use different frequencies. Mine is Sprint.

Setup>Routing>Guidance Method should be set to one of the On Road options and

Setup>Maps>Map Information should show City Navigator as "Enabled".

GO$Rs

Thanks g-o-casher's. I got the on road options set but when I go to the setup>maps I don't see an kind of "map information". I don't see an option that says City Navigator or a way to Enable it.

I'm using City Navigator V8. Could that be the problem??

I got a question that maybe someone can answer.

My 400t I've loaded with CN 2007 but I can't seem to get it to nav on the streets. It just does a line right to the cache or place I want to go. I had changed the setting to follow the roads but that didn't seem to help. I'm sure this is just a setting problem but am about to go on a trip new weekend and would like to be able to use turn by turn directions or I guess "auto routing".

Also one other question

For some reason when I have selected a geocache and am in route to it I can't pan on the map but if I select a waypoint or POI, I can still pan around and look at the map. Just wondering it others have noticed this as well. I do like it when I'm headed to a cache to be able to pan around and look at the route but all I can do is zoom in and out.

I had the same problem. Make sure the profile is in Automotive not geocaching or any other one.

I have just upgraded from an etrek Legend Cx to the 400t. It is a wonderful GPSr, and I am l really enjoying learning all that is can do. My problem is that after a day of caching, I can't figure out how to put my finds into Map Source. Can anyone help?

Thanks

UNKLJIM

GO$Rs

Thanks g-o-casher's. I got the on road options set but when I go to the setup>maps I don't see an kind of "map information". I don't see an option that says City Navigator or a way to Enable it.

Strike that last comment. (Where's the guy hitting himself in the forehead smilie at??) I'm using City Nav NT. I forgot I upgraded to NT when I bought the Colorado.

I can click on a spot and it will now auto-route to that but it won't auto route to a geo-cache.

I'll try putting it in the Automotive profile and see what happens.

GO$Rs

No. The problem is that I gave you the Oregon instructions :wub: . Guidance Method is the same but you'll need to go to Shortcuts>Map>Options>Select Map and make sure City Navigator is checked.

I have just upgraded from an etrek Legend Cx to the 400t. It is a wonderful GPSr, and I am l really enjoying learning all that is can do. My problem is that after a day of caching, I can't figure out how to put my finds into Map Source. Can anyone help?

Thanks

UNKLJIM

I don't think there is a way. Once geocaches are downloaded into the unit they don't come back out into the file that Mapsource (or any other program) reads. I really wish that Garmin would automatically export any caches that you log an attempt on so you could could upload them later. The Oregon has recently added a feature that allows you to manually save a geocache as a waypoint, but you would have to remember to do this for every geocache that you find (assuming that feature makes it to the Colorado).

GO$Rs

I'll add my list of issues based on my first impressions. BTW, my current GPS is a 60cs so my baseline of comparison tends to be that unit.

Issues I haven't seen mentioned yet:

- No way to configure the boot screen with name, email, address, etc.

- Related to backlight settings not being saved, the second time you press the power button the backlight does not come on, even at the dimmest setting. This makes it hard to see if you are even on the backlight screen or not.

- Reset control is not nearly as convenient as the 60cs. On the 60cs you could reset tracks, waypoint and odometer settings from one place. Now you need to do it from three places (odometer, waypoint manager and tracks).

- No waypoint averaging

- Overzoom on map page is more limited than 60cs, you can only zoom into the 80ft level.

- Filtering on waypoint symbol doesn't seem to exist and other than on the map screen I don't see waypoint symbols displayed at all, for example the waypoint manager summary screen doesn't use them.

- Others have mentioned you can't turn the compass off and in addition I haven't seen any place to set the "auto-compass-on" trip point speed (probably the same setting).

- Reading geocache descriptions is slow. I have a gpx file with about 300 hundred geocaches and it takes 10-12 seconds to bring up the descriptions/logs (this is not a PQ GPX, it is exported from GSAK and probably has more logs than a PQ GPX).

- From the summary cache page you have to read the description before you read the hint, since reading the descriptions is a slow process it would be nice to read the hint from the summary page.

- Can't change the track color, thickness (or any properties that I can see)

- Outdoor temp readings seem to either not work or change _very_ slowly

- I've seen one hang reading a particular cache's description. Need to characterize it more carefully but its a full blown, take the batteries out to reset kind of thing. Seems to be reproducible.

- Summary screen (with time, GPS status, backlight, etc) should display the temperature.

- Changing the cursor size and shape would be nice (it's too big for me).

Issues I've observed that have been mentioned elsewhere:

- Boot time is 30-40 seconds (most time seems to be spent loading maps)

- Backlight settings aren't saved

- Geocaches don't show up on the map.

- Can't disable the compass

- No way to mark a geocache as found

- Device goes into mass storage mode upon connect to PC

- Device auto-powers off after disconnect to PC

Those are the issues. None of these seems to unfixable and most are just anonyances, but I worry about how much better the boot time will get if it is related to loading maps. I'll have to say so far it has been pretty stable the the navigation is very stable. The lock is fast and the signal reception is similar to what I've seen with 60csx's (much better than my 60cs). The display size and resolution is a huge improvement for me, map redraw times are good. The most pleasant change however was the rock'n roller. As long as this thing lasts I find it very easy to move around with a single hand w/my gloves on.

More testing today -- I'll post an update.

GO$Rs

Add to the list: No way to delete an up loaded geocache on the 400T without conecting to the computer and deleting it as a file

Edited by losteaglescout