Disappointed

j2garnett

So, after browsing here for a few weeks, I finally decided to go out and look for my fist cache. I picked one that was described as relatively easy, and thought I should be good to go.

I looked for 45 mintes in what I'm sure was at least close, but couldn't find anything. :lol: Is there some technique I need to use to get right there?

Can you tell us what cache you were looking for? Maybe then we could better help you. In the mean time here are some tips.

1. Look for something that dosen't seem to belong, or isn't quite what it may appear to be.

2. Read all the previous find logs. They can be a wealth of information.

3. Most importantly...remember that the coordinates the hider used could differ as much as 60 feet from yours.

El Diablo

Can you tell us what cache you were looking for? Maybe then we could better help you. In the mean time here are some tips.

1. Look for something that dosen't seem to belong, or isn't quite what it may appear to be.

3. Most importantly...remember that the coordinates the hider used could differ as much as 60 feet from yours.

El Diablo

Wow, 60 feet? How are you people finding these nano and "under rock" ones then??

It hadn't been found yet - maybe I'm not the only one who can't find it.

I'm searching in Australia - this was the cache I tried: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...20-e9bbe1fc304e. I'm fairly familiar with that landmark, and know I was in the right area, just couldn't find anything. I think part of the trouble is this site is in MAJOR need of CITO efforts. So much trash I can't tell what's what =P

I'd suggest that you try looking for another cache - preferably one that has been found recently (which implies that it is actually there to be found).

Why not try Quart Pot or Snakes Alive, both of which are less than 1500m from where you were looking before.

Established caches often have 'cachers trails' (disturbed vegetation, beaten areas of ground, piles of twigs) leading towards them. These are caused by people passing to and fro from the cache that, whilst not drawing the attention of the general public, can help you find a cache if you are looking.

Good luck!

El Diablo

Wow, 60 feet? How are you people finding these nano and "under rock" ones then??

It hadn't been found yet - maybe I'm not the only one who can't find it.

I'm searching in Australia - this was the cache I tried: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...20-e9bbe1fc304e. I'm fairly familiar with that landmark, and know I was in the right area, just couldn't find anything. I think part of the trouble is this site is in MAJOR need of CITO efforts. So much trash I can't tell what's what =P

Finding the nanos can be the most challenging. Finding a sandwich box size cache should be fairly easy. Stand in the area and look around. Where would you hide such a cache? Also keep in mind that caches can be ground level, or above the ground. Don't forget to look up or in. Feel free to push pull and lift objects for hiding places.

El Diablo

General tips. Look for anything out of place, not quite right. Things that are too new or too old. Things that are not quite natural or just out of season. Look for unusual piles of sticks, grass, leaves, rocks or sand. Think like a hider - where would you hide something here. Think magnetic, many micro and small caches are somewhat magnetic. Feel where you can't look. Slowly expand your search from the most likely area. - up to 50 feet away. Don't be afraid to back away and reconfirm your GPS led you to the right spot. Look for evidence somebody else stood there for a while. Think vertical - many caches are up off of the ground and may be right in front of your eyes.

Most of all - have fun at it!!

Use common sense when looking (or grabbing) inside stuff. In Wisconsin, the wildest thing I have come across in a hide was an opossum taking a snooze, but understand that there are snakes and spiders and stuff in Australia that will ruin your whole day. I would recommend seeing if there is a local group that you can tag along with.

Edited by MikeB3542

Use common sense when looking (or grabbing) inside stuff. In Wisconsin, the wildest thing I have come across in a hide was an opossum taking a snooze, but understand that there are snakes and spiders and stuff in Australia that will ruin your whole day. I would recommend seeing if there is a local group that you can tag along with.

Yeah, I'm pretty familiar with what to look out for - redbacks, death adders, brown snakes, and scorpions to name a few - I walk carefully and don't stick my hand anywhere it doesn't belong. :)

So, after browsing here for a few weeks, I finally decided to go out and look for my fist cache.

I think it is always better to go with another geocacher who has some finds under his or her belt when you first start out. Granted this is a very easy sport to get into, but it does have its nuances and if you have someone who knows a little more about it than you do it will make it a lot more fun. It's just more fun to geocache with other people anyway, unless of course your are in need of tranquility on a particular day. So my suggestion would be to find a local geocacher who would be willing to go with you on a few finds. You'll probably make a new friend besides. :)

So, after browsing here for a few weeks, I finally decided to go out and look for my fist cache. I picked one that was described as relatively easy, and thought I should be good to go.

I looked for 45 mintes in what I'm sure was at least close, but couldn't find anything. :) Is there some technique I need to use to get right there?

With only 4 finds, I am light on experience. However, I can tell you that the first ones are harder than you might think because you don't really know what to expect. Once you find a few, you will start looking from the perspective of a geocacher. Sometimes you can look at the logs for additiona clues.

On my last hunt, I had to look for two different waypoints not knowing which one was really the right one. (waypoint had to be calculated, the calculation was based on color, and flourescent orange and yellow look the same to me...). Anyway, once I was near the area, I was able to look in the general direction of the two waypoints and knew which one looked more like where a cache might be.

You will learn - don't be discouraged!

Later,

Partimcmpr

I've got a feeling that the coordinates on the cache page may be wrong.

The maps indicate that it is about 400 m from Anzac Hill Rd and about 1km from Anzac Park.

It is not unusual to not get a FTF on a cache because of an error on the part of the hider.

I would contact him and tell him where you were looking and ask if that is the correct place.

I went out and did my first 3 ever caches last night in the desert here in Vegas(got to love the desert at night in the winter(36 degrees), not much moving around that can hurt you and very peaceful). 2 were very easy and gps brought me to under 10' or less if possible(I swear it was within 3' of both). The other one took about 10 minutes to find and the GPS was off by about 20'.

Just letting the other newbie know it can be well under 60' some of the time.

So have you made it back to the cache location and try it again. Did you find it?

I emailed the cache owner. He is no longer in the area, and his cache carer is out of town, so he asked to me to check and make sure the cache is still there and not muggled, although we both feel it may have been. He sent me some pics of where exactly it is, so I'm going to go out, check the coordinates and make sure it is still there sometime this week. I'll let you guys know what I find. And thanks for all the great advice so far! :)

(and I was going for the FTF, I'm competitive that way :ph34r: )

I am quite new with only 11 finds but I can tell you that I have already had a few DNF's to report, although I usually have been able to go back and find them. As others have said, think like a person hiding a cache. Some are very hard, and others are pretty easy. I have definately found that I will have more success if there is another set of eyes looking with me. Also, I have learned not to rely completely on the GPS. It has been pretty good so far but has been misleading sometimes due to heavy cloud coverage. Start with easy caches, although I am working on a cache listed as level 1 difficulty and I am going out on my third try this week. The GPS can be off by up to 60 feet, but that is quite rare. My GPS is usually pretty accurate and more often than not will bring me within 20 feet of the cache, and it is a fairly basic model. Remember not to get discouraged just because of one DNF. Once you find your first one it will all be worth it. Good luck, and happy caching!

You don't have too many out there at the Alice to find.

Google Maps shows 16 caches in the area.

Shouldn't take you too long to find them all.

Then you will have to place a few of your own.

Make sure that they are at spots which would be of interest to the tourists as you will find that at least 90% of the finds will be out-of-towners.

Also don't make them mystery or hard multis as you will find that visitors will ignore them.

You might like to contact the other cachers in Alice - WaddlesK and Parente - A joint FTF with them might be the way to go.

One method I've found useful is to ask yourself, "if I were placing a cache here, where would I put it?" It's not infallible, but it can sometimes jolt you into looking at things differently, thinking differently, and a change in perspective can sometimes make all the difference.

Other posters are right: the ubiquitous UPS (unusual pile of sticks) can be a dead giveaway; but there are other things that can look ever so slightly out of place if you stay there long enough. Try *not* looking, try just being there, looking around, noticing things. Sometimes when you get a sense of the place -- its aura, for want tof a better word -- you can find the one thing that doesn't belong there.

-- Jeannette (angevine)