Did someone duplicate my TB tag ?

River Cacher

This is a newer TB and was released in Idaho by me and my six year old daughter. My brother easternoregontraveler went on a trip to Mexico so I handed him my TB ( Reference #TB1RMCH ) Before he dropped my TB it was discovered in Paris and I thought it was a mistake Until a few day's later windwizard grabbed it so I finally contacted my brother and he said he had dropped the TB just a few hours before me contacting him and I told him someone grabbed it the day before in Paris so he checked online and all the numbers match up so I told him not to log it until we get this figured out.I have the copy in my hand and have not gave it to nobody or placed it anywhere and the # matches with with the one my brother wrote down also.The real bug is sitting in Mexico not Logged in and when it gets picked up it will be interesting to watch what happens to RASHELLS TWEETY. Also it was dropped off today by windwizard in Germany HUUUMMMMMMM.

Tracking numbers can be close and there can be the possibility of simply not getting one of the numbers right, thereby pulling another bug by mistake. That might be why the numbers 'match'.

I'd like to know what cache windwizard found and which bug was listed in it.

Edited by BlueDeuce

This is a newer TB and was released in Idaho by me and my six year old daughter. My brother easternoregontraveler went on a trip to Mexico so I handed him my TB ( Reference #TB1RMCH ) Before he dropped my TB it was discovered in Paris and I thought it was a mistake Until a few day's later windwizard grabbed it so I finally contacted my brother and he said he had dropped the TB just a few hours before me contacting him and I told him someone grabbed it the day before in Paris so he checked online and all the numbers match up so I told him not to log it until we get this figured out.I have the copy in my hand and have not gave it to nobody or placed it anywhere and the # matches with with the one my brother wrote down also.The real bug is sitting in Mexico not Logged in and when it gets picked up it will be interesting to watch what happens to RASHELLS TWEETY. Also it was dropped off today by windwizard in Germany HUUUMMMMMMM.

If you go to the tb ref # it will show what cache and 2 people have seen it over there I will post the cache ref # soon

I am trying to see if I can figure anything out. Does your TB's tracking number have a zero or O in it (don't post the number)?

One comment, if you would post a photo of your TB on the TB page, it might avoid some confusion so that finders can see what they were supposed to find.

this does not have a 0 the only thing close that could get messed up is a 6 and i have tried all close ways the numbers seem very clear and there has been no pictures

Well, I would suggest contacting those two finders in Europe to see if they can describe the TB they found. If you don't hear from them, contact Groundspeak. It is unlikely, but perhaps two tags with the same number got created somehow.

It is still a good idea for you to post a picture of your TB on its page (a picture that does not show the tracking number on the tag).

Edited by UncleJimbo

the cache writing is in a different language if I contact the owner of the cache it is in now does it translate on the cache page for them or email that i have sent

Don't contact the cache owner. Contact the two finders. They posted logs in English, so they probably can read English, perhaps with the help of an online translation web site. Send your message in English, but keep it fairly simple so they can understand.

I just looked, and at least one of these finders, bjm26186, is from Colorado. The other person, windwizard, is from Germany.

Edited by UncleJimbo

I have contacted ground speak 3 day's ago and have had no reply as of yet I am just worried some one is going to pick it up in Mexico. I have contacted the two people in Paris and one says it is not a tweety bird and the other has not responed to any of my emails

Well, now that Eartha has replied in this thread, you have kind of contacted Groundspeak. :lol:

Not sure what else to suggest. You can always have your friend in Mexico grab back the TB and "drop" it again where it should be. You can also delete the logs from Europe. But these things will not resolve the problem from happening again unless you can figure out what is really going on.

My brother is the one that placed it in Mexico and is now back in Oregon.I sure wish I was able to go grab it though.

I notice that in that cache in France, a geocacher named u_man posted in his log "IN : TB Dino". However, in his profile I cannot find any TB named Dino. Perhaps the TB in Europe that is being mistaken for yours is this "TB Dino"?

My brother is the one that placed it in Mexico and is now back in Oregon.I sure wish I was able to go grab it though.

I notice that in that cache in France, a geocacher named u_man posted in his log "IN : TB Dino". However, in his profile I cannot find any TB named Dino. Perhaps the TB in Europe that is being mistaken for yours is this "TB Dino"?

I have contacted this person and have explained everything to him and have asked about the dino tb because i can not find any record of it.I will check back on this It is my kids 7th birthday so I have to get stuff for her school.THANKS FOR THE HELP SO FAR

I think if we can get a description of the European bug we can probably find it still listed in another cache. From there we can find the owner and have them clarify the tracking number listed on the Bug page.

Perhaps when the bug is picked up we can get assistance from that finder.

Also it wouldn't hurt to contact bjm26186 and ask him to describe it.

crabpod,

Send me your TB# (the one on the tag, the tracking #) and I'll see if I can make heads or tails of it. It is possible that there could have been an error in the manufacturing and two (well 4, counting the copies) tags got stamped with the same number. If that's the case, then Groundspeak has to fix it. I may not be able to get an answer until Monday, but send it to me via a PM or through my profile, and I'll see what I can do for you.

Eartha

Groundspeak Volunteer

I think if we can get a description of the European bug we can probably find it still listed in another cache. From there we can find the owner and have them clarify the tracking number listed on the Bug page.

Perhaps when the bug is picked up we can get assistance from that finder.

Also it wouldn't hurt to contact bjm26186 and ask him to describe it.

I have contacted the cache owner of lost tunnel that dropped the dino TB and I have also contacted bjm and windwizard and the owner of the cache in Germany were it shows the bug is now but I dont know if she can read it. I hope someone will tell me what item the tb is attached to and as soon as I find out I will post it also everyone I have emailed I have explained what is going on and apologized for any inconvenience and told them it is on the forum under travelbugs.

Did someone duplicate my TB tag ? YES they did and I figured out how finally. Someone purchased some TBs and they could not get one of them to activate right.This one had the same numbers as mine so Groundspeak sent them another set to replace it. When they went on a trip to Paris the duplicated set was dropped by mistake.

This person offered to send the copy to me and I told him just to scratch some of the numbers off or destroy it.

I also contacted the person with the TB in Germany and asked them to do the same. I will contact the person that has my TB and let them know it is ok to release it and we will keep a eye out to see if this fixes the problem.This does go to show nothing or nobody is perfect not even Groundspeak LOL :?) :yikes:

Has anyone ever heard of this happening or is this a real rare thing to happen.

Yeah, it happened abouta three months ago with some geofriends in the area. They tried to activate thier tag only to find someone had already activated "their" number. They contacted Groundspeak, explained the problem and were sent new tags with a couple days...

Yeah, it happened abouta three months ago with some geofriends in the area. They tried to activate thier tag only to find someone had already activated "their" number. They contacted Groundspeak, explained the problem and were sent new tags with a couple days...

Was that because of duplicate tags or the other person activating the wrong tracking number?

Was that because of duplicate tags or the other person activating the wrong tracking number?

Mine was because of Duplicate tags there is 4 tags with the same Numbers my Tb did have 72 miles on it before it went to Mexico and has over ten thousand miles and it is in Canada now so it will get some more fast.

Mine was because of Duplicate tags there is 4 tags with the same Numbers my Tb did have 72 miles on it before it went to Mexico and has over ten thousand miles and it is in Canada now so it will get some more fast.

I hear ya, and I'm glad you got it figured out. Bugs have a hard enough time out there without adding in some tag production snafu.

Some people might have thrown up their hands and said forget it.

I have no doubt you handle other people's bug with care and concern.

Edit: Oh by the way I'll be sending you an email.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I am now trying to find out when the other person purchased theres. If it was after mine I could see why they couldn't get theres to work right and if it was before did the maker consider it destroyed and made a new one or ???

Yep, one of the things I want to address on email in addition to what happens to the finders stats should the logs be corrected.

WOW this might be a fun TB if I get the one in Germany to release it again and I would make sure I post notes that you will have to grab it sometimes just imagine the miles it can get LOL and then try and get them to unite I am emailing Germany to see if he still has it.

Ah yes, but duplicate TBs get locked down. Best to get it fixed. :yikes:

Edit: Wish I could get four copy tags for one TB! :yikes:

Edited by BlueDeuce

I am now trying to find out when the other person purchased theres. If it was after mine I could see why they couldn't get theres to work right and if it was before did the maker consider it destroyed and made a new one or ???

Yep, one of the things I want to address on email in addition to what happens to the finders stats should the logs be corrected.

WOW this might be a fun TB if I get the one in Germany to release it again and I would make sure I post notes that you will have to grab it sometimes just imagine the miles it can get LOL and then try and get them to unite I am emailing Germany to see if he still has it.

Ah yes, but duplicate TBs get locked down. Best to get it fixed. :yikes:

Does Groundspeak do this and then nobody could log it then.

Edit: Wish I could get four copy tags for one TB! :yikes:

Duplicates...

Duplicates...

Yes this TB has had a duplicate set made and should have been destroyed but was released by mistake

I just had a reply from Groundspeak and they said they thought it was a type error so I sent them a email

back and explained it all to them.I will post my next response from them when I get it.

Yesterday my daughter turned 8 and her first present she opend was her Rashells Tweety TB and boy did she scream with Glee.

Her second present was the Chinese Beaver Duplicated TB and she and me both could not believe it until we had them both in our hands and they are identical TB's.

I also have the one copy so i have three TB tags now.

This was the best way to start off my daughters Birthday.

Soon she will decide what to do with the TB.

We will also post photos soon.

Thanks to all who helped get them home.