5/5 Event Cache

I'm not aware of another 5/5 event 'cache, however that's not saying much. That aside, this, being directly Geocaching related, is probably not appropriate for Off-topic. I'd suggest closing this topic and opening it in Geocaching Topics, or asking a moderator to move it for you.

Edit: What makes it a 5/5?

Edited by tirediron

Congratulations on discovering that the listing guidelines do not require accuracy when a cache is rated 5/5. You are not the first to stumble across the idea of a misrated 5/5 event cache.

I *have* seen true terrain 5 event caches, where boats were required to access the event site, for example. That's cool.

I'm having trouble imagining how an event cache could be a difficulty 5. Everyone who attends has to be camoflaged, or hide very well in the bushes, so that nobody else can find the event once they arrive at the coordinates???

We're hosting an event right now that's for boats. I originally had rated it a 5/5, because an earlier event that we participated in had been rated that way. But it's true, I don't suppose the Difficulty rating should be a 5. But should it be a 1 then? A 1/5 cache?

Here's the forum thread for that event. I raised the question there, but didn't get a huge response and I'm not sure what I should do.

Should I change the rating this far into things? I'm willing to do that. And if I do, should it be a 1 then?

Edited by Ambrosia

We explored what a TRUE 5/5 event would have to be on my local site.

Completely ON, IN, or UNDER water would rate 5/5. In the middle of a technical climb would also rate 5/5 as well. Having an event meeting up in freefall or in space (which is also considered freefall) would count as 5/5 too. Can anyone come up with more?

Isn't the difficulty for a cache supposed to be for locating the cache? The terrain can be a 5 but if you get there and the cache is an ammo can sitting out in the open the difficulty would be a 1. I don't see how a can on a ledge in the middle of a technical climb is a 5 difficulty.

Maybe if they don't tell anyone the name of the dinner spot or if they don't give any coordinates for it the difficulty could be raised. B) Or if you need explosives to get through the door of the restaurant. Or maybe the restaurant is floating out in the bay. :lol:

Isn't the difficulty for a cache supposed to be for locating the cache? The terrain can be a 5 but if you get there and the cache is an ammo can sitting out in the open the difficulty would be a 1. I don't see how a can on a ledge in the middle of a technical climb is a 5 difficulty.

Maybe if they don't tell anyone the name of the dinner spot or if they don't give any coordinates for it the difficulty could be raised. B) Or if you need explosives to get through the door of the restaurant. Or maybe the restaurant is floating out in the bay. :lol:

Or maybe they just gave really bad co-ords... B)

Ambrosia, difficulty 1 terrain 5 caches and event caches are fairly common here.

If it's a CITO event, generally the difficulty will be listed as 2 or 2.5 (for the work, which actually can be pretty rough especially pulling boat hulls out of the mangroves), but Meet and Greets on islands are generally 1/5.

I've got a few 5/5 caches in my finds list. Many 5 terrain, no real 5 difficulty. I'm not sure I've ever found anything that I'd rate higher on difficulty than a 3.5, but folks do love to inflate the difficulty of their hides.

I'm one of those who generally views Difficulty as how hard it is to locate the cache and Terrain as how hard it is to get to. So really, I have a hard time imagining any event being higher than a 1 for Difficulty. A few possibilities are, as GeoBain said, having to solve a puzzle to know where it is. An adventure or road rally type event might also have a higher difficulty rating, if you apply the difficulty to the goings-on rather than the getting-to.

Difficulty is not entirely based on how easy it is to locate a cache.

Difficulty rating:

* Easy. In plain sight or can be found in a few minutes of searching.

** Average. The average cache hunter would be able to find this in less than 30 minutes of hunting.

*** Challenging. An experienced cache hunter will find this challenging, and it could take up a good portion of an afternoon.

**** Difficult. A real challenge for the experienced cache hunter - may require special skills or knowledge, or in-depth preparation to find. May require multiple days / trips to complete.

***** Extreme. A serious mental or physical challenge. Requires specialized knowledge, skills, or equipment to find cache.

Using mountaineering equipment is both mental and physical.

We're hosting an event right now that's for boats. I originally had rated it a 5/5, because an earlier event that we participated in had been rated that way. But it's true, I don't suppose the Difficulty rating should be a 5. But should it be a 1 then? A 1/5 cache?

Here's the forum thread for that event. I raised the question there, but didn't get a huge response and I'm not sure what I should do.

Should I change the rating this far into things? I'm willing to do that. And if I do, should it be a 1 then?

I had a canoe/kayak event on an island and it was 1/5. Wasn't difficult to find. No way is it a 5/5 unless there is some sort of incredibly difficult puzzle you need to solve to get the coords.

The event in the OP looks like nothing more than a 1/1. It's unfortunate that some people who filter out high difficulty and terrain caches may miss out on this one because the owner was playing some sort of joke.

Edited by briansnat

How about a puzzle cache for the secret password to let you in?

How about a puzzle cache for the secret password to let you in?

That would work but it would have to be one heck of a puzzle to make it a 5 difficulty. Something that can take days to solve.

Just wondering if this is the first 5/5 Event Cache? Everyone is welcome for a fun day!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...bb-c9e9a64f8998

Robert

No, it's not the first.

It's not even the first 1/1 where the owner lied and listed it as a 5/5 just so people could pump up their stats.

Gotta agree with Mopar on this. Attendees can say they found a 5/5 when actually it was a meet-n-greet at a park pavilion. B):lol:

Just wondering if this is the first 5/5 Event Cache? Everyone is welcome for a fun day!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...bb-c9e9a64f8998

Robert

Huh? If you are not simply lying through your teeth, what is it about this event which makes the Difficulty rating more than a 1 and which makes the Terrain rating more than a 1. Why are you calling it a 5/5? Are you perhaps off your medications?

Reading the event page, it sounds as if they hope people from around the country attend. They list Hotels you can stay at.

Perhaps the thought here is some special equipment is needed to attend, such as an airline, or train ticket. :D

Not sure I agree that would justify a five star rating, nor do I even know if that was their thought. But it is what came to mind when I saw the cache page. :D:D

There was a flash mob event on the Cape Fear river in Wilmington, NC, which was rated a 5/5. I did not get a chance to attend but I do know that the rating was correct. Wind produced white caps on the river and everyone was kayaking. One cacher fell in, another ended up a mile down the river... they were all lucky they survived. :D

The cute insane gal above me beat me to this thread, but failed to post a link to the actual event.

Heck, she didn't even show up to the paddling part, just the burritos and beer afterevent get-together. :D

And I can verify that not only did someone tip their kayak twice in the middle of the river in the 35+mph winds, but had the EMT's and Coast Guard called out as well. :D:D

We discussed the proper rating of this event ahead of time. Since the log was in one of the kayaks, and we weren't sure which one until we were mid river, it was determined that 5/5 was appropriate; especially considering the alligators, current, wind, and large boats we had to share the river with. (Yes this is the same Cape Fear River as the two movies too :P )

this has not been photoshopped!

5ec92ad0-4c15-47f7-94b3-656d541dbad3.jpg

Edited by wimseyguy

perhaps the roads are really tricky to navigate and people get lost?

I've driven in places before where I'd rate the streets a 5 difficulty and terrain just to get where I needed to be.

:drama:

and this is another thread that makes me want to attend a paddle event. too bad water won't even exist around here for another few months. :drama:

We explored what a TRUE 5/5 event would have to be on my local site.

Completely ON, IN, or UNDER water would rate 5/5. In the middle of a technical climb would also rate 5/5 as well. Having an event meeting up in freefall or in space (which is also considered freefall) would count as 5/5 too. Can anyone come up with more?

To me, your first example only rates a 5 in terrain difficulty since once you get on/in/under the water, you pretty much have it made. On the others, they are iffy in my opinion. I agree that it would require great skill to pass that logbook around while in the middle of those exercises, but it still seems like that part would fall under the terrain part of the rating as well.

Answering your question,,, maybe terrain that requires a 4wheel drive vehicle of some sort to get you to the general area. Then after you get there, having to find a key or password stashed in a fake rock located in a big pile of rocks in order to gain entry into the event where the logbook is stashed... :drama:

As far as the OP's post goes, i saw the his/her name and figured it was going to at least be an event that required the use of 4wheel drive, which would make it a 5 terrain rating. I read the cache page thinking that would be the case and that there was going to be some kind of gimic for making the overall difficulty a 5 but sure didn't see it anywhere on the page. I also have to ask, unless we are somehow missing something, how it got through the review process posing as a 5/5?

Since the OP posted this thread, and never responded to the numerous questions, and comments, I figured a little note on the cache page, referencing this thread was in order. :drama:

Speaking of that, and in light of the fact that the OP continues to refuse to reply to any of the serious and sincere questions raised in this thread, I must conclude that the original post in this thread was nothing but a trolling post. Sad.

I really don't think the thread was a troll. At worst the OP didn't understand the rating system, at best, there is something to the event we don't know about here.

no reason to assume the worst.

Didn't understand the cache ratings!, the OP is hosting the event, the OP has found over 1,000 caches and the OP has hidden 35 caches. Sure he knows how to rate a cache, he started this thread to get people to read about is nonsense 5/5 event cache. It is to bad that the intenionaly posting incorrect ratings on caches is not covered in the guide lines, may be is something that can be added.

I really don't think the thread was a troll. At worst the OP didn't understand the rating system, at best, there is something to the event we don't know about here.

no reason to assume the worst.

Didn't understand the cache ratings!, the OP is hosting the event, the OP has found over 1,000 caches and the OP has hidden 35 caches. Sure he knows how to rate a cache, he started this thread to get people to read about is nonsense 5/5 event cache. It is to bad that the intenionaly posting incorrect ratings on caches is not covered in the guide lines, may be is something that can be added.

Looks like our friend "RoadRunner" didn't have a problem with it. I made the Vegas Meet & Greet, why not check it out yourself and see if it's worth it?

Looks like our friend "RoadRunner" didn't have a problem with it. I made the Vegas Meet & Greet, why not check it out yourself and see if it's worth it?

That's because there currently is nothing in the guidelines about properly rating D/T.

On the other hand, if everyone else was as inconsiderate as you are, and rated their caches 5/5 just because they could, then the ratings wouldn't mean much, would they?

It's our 5th year for the Event here in Yuma and that's the only reason behind rating it a 5/5.

I have to say, I don't think that is a valid reason to rate the cache 5/5..... you already covered that in the event title, right?

Thank you very much!

Aren't we suppose to be having fun instead of taking everything so serious. I would appreciate it if someone wants to beat me up do it here, instead of the Yuma Event Page.

Edited by Jeep'en Jumpers

It's our 5th year for the Event here in Yuma and that's the only reason behind rating it a 5/5.

No offense, but that is the silliest reason i've ever heard for improperly rating a cache. :drama:

Free BBQ and a lot of good friends. Yes, it should only be rated a 1/1 and will probably start that rating next year with Event 6. For now it will stay a 5/5 and those that can please join us....No Swag!

Robert

Even you said it should be rated as a 1/1 :drama: A bit contradictory?

Edited by Kit Fox

I have to say, I don't think that is a valid reason to rate the cache 5/5..... you already covered that in the event title, right?

Thank you very much!

Aren't we suppose to be having fun instead of taking everything so serious. I would appreciate it if someone wants to beat me up do it here, instead of the Yuma Event Page.

Or you could just correct you phony rating on the event page.

I don't think anybody is trying to beat you up..... just trying to emphasize that the rating is not accurate and that misrating a cache/event is misleading and pointless.

Unless you're trying to rack up a 5/5 for bragging rights. In which case, doing a real 5/5 would be impressive, not just having one misrated.

I'm sure the even will be fun, regardless.... but still, this is not a favorable trend.

Does this mean that you won't be having one next year?

-----------------

edit:

I see you already mentioned this here:

"Yes, it should only be rated a 1/1 and will probably start that rating next year with Event 6. For now it will stay a 5/5.....

Robert"

Good to see things will get back to reality.

Edited by MountainMudbug