Paperless frustration.

HopsMaltYeast

I must be the dumbest GeoCacher on the planet.

I am not a computer whiz nor am I a novice.

I am baffled with putting the pieces together on the Palm paperless thing.

Sequence – briefly – with profanity removed.

Became Premium member

Ran Pocket Quest and got 2 .gpx files – saved them to convenient folder - not sure why I got 2.

Downloaded Cachemate zip files

Opened zips

No install programs included in any of the files – no installation occurred.

Successfully loaded the cachemate .prc file to the Palm handheld via HotSync

Registered Cachemate on the Palm

Opened Cachemate on the Palm – no files in there of course – could enter new files manually.

Could not find a way to open CacheMate as a program on my PC

Could not transfer the .gpx files to the Palm handheld

Could not open the .gpx files anywhere by any means on my PC (Windows XP)

Kicked the cat and dog – this did not help matters but I felt a bit of relief.

Downloaded GSAK without paying or registering

GSAK opened and installed itself.

GSAK opened the above mentioned .gpx files emailed from GeoCache PQ.

They looked like an Excel spreadsheet and made sense.

Had fun browsing through the files of caches and everything was as expected.

Exported the database from GSAK and it formatted to Cachemate format

Palm Quick Install picked it up

HotSync transferred the file to my Palm M500 handheld without a problem.

Had no problem browsing through the files on the Palm handheld.

What the heck am I missing and/or doing wrong?

Why do I need GSAK and Cachemate?

I know I am missing something very simple and fundamental but I’ll be danged if I can see what it is. Is it GPSEasy that I need instead of GSAK?

HELP!

What are you missing?

When you opened the emailed file with GSAK, did you send it to your GPS?

So you have all the waypoints on your GPS and all the logs/descriptions on your Palm.

I am a n00b myself, and just went through the same thing. Like you cussed trying to find out how to install cachemate.

I'm of no help what so ever -- experiencing some of the same predicaments myself! But just thought I'd offer my sympathies. The dogs have hidden and husband has gone back to work here!!!

I *think* CacheMate only runs on the Palm, and GSAK only on the PC - and that being why we need both????

The basic concept is: Pocket Query arrives - load it into GSAK via Load GPX/LOC/ZIP (top of the File pulldown menu) (that was the bit I couldn't figure out) then from GSAK you can export (also in File pull down menu) to CacheMate PDB file to get the caches onto your Palm and under the GSP pulldown menu Send.. to get them to the GSPr.

And once we newbies get really clever with GSAK, apparently caches can be sorted and re-sorted and organised in all kind of ways.

Hope you get some more help soon.

Annie

What are you missing?

When you opened the emailed file with GSAK, did you send it to your GPS?

So you have all the waypoints on your GPS and all the logs/descriptions on your Palm.

I am a n00b myself, and just went through the same thing. Like you cussed trying to find out how to install cachemate.

I have been unable to install Cachemate on my PC.

If I have CacheMate, why do I need GSAK?

If I have GSAK, why do I need Cachemate?

I'm not clear on what your problem is. From what you've said, it seems like you needed both programs to get caches to show up on your Palm. Which, as far as I know, is true. Is that correct? Keep in mind that I am far from being a whiz at this stuff, but I use both programs and they work like a charm. Very small price to pay for much satisfaction! :rolleyes:

Let me update--if you don't need/want the info that gets transferred to your Palm, you do only need GSAK. But, then you are stuck having to print out the cache info. There are other programs to use, but I'm not familiar with them, and GSAK/Cachemate worked very easily for me.

Edited by GrateBear

Pocket Query - the two files are the caches and the child waypoints, if I dismember correctly.

GSAK, or a similar program is a must. Well, there are other ways, including no cost, but I can assist with GSAK.

Save the PQ Zip file someplace. Drag it into GSAK. Another option; if you use HotMail,

double-click on the ZIP file

choose 'Open' instead of save

Navigate to GSAK for the file to 'Open' with (don't choose to 'Alway' do this)

GSAK will open up and import the file

Heads up. Unregistered GSAK will only open a limited number of caches. You will want to register it for full function.

You can do a lot of manipulation with the data in GSAK . . . that's for the advanced lesson. :rolleyes:

Go to 'File', 'Export', 'CacheMate PDB File', choose to install to Palm

That's quick and dirty basics. Does that help.

Cache On!

JohnTee

You don'thave to use GSAK. There are other options.

I use cmconvert (cachemate file converter) to open my queries and then sync to my palm. Was this program included with your download?

Yes it was included. I had no idea how to use it until reading your post. You are a prince or a princess.

Thank you Thank you.

I don't know how I was supposed to know that from any of the documentation I have seen.

I am guessing it was in there somewhere.

Thank you DNA

I have been unable to install Cachemate on my PC.

If I have CacheMate, why do I need GSAK?

If I have GSAK, why do I need Cachemate?

They do different things. Cachemate works on your palm. It is not a PC program, and will not run on your PC. GSAK is a database, file converter (and more for advanced users). It is one of several programs that will change PQs to the format needed by Cachemate, your GPS, etc.

If you don't want to pay for GSAK, see if you can find the cachemate file converter. It's what I use. I'm pretty sure we downloaded it along with cachemate.

You don'thave to use GSAK. There are other options.

I use cmconvert (cachemate file converter) to open my queries and then sync to my palm. Was this program included with your download?

Yes it was included. I had no idea how to use it until reading your post. You are a prince or a princess.

Thank you Thank you.

I don't know how I was supposed to know that from any of the documentation I have seen.

I am guessing it was in there somewhere.

Thank you DNA

You are most welcome! :rolleyes:

Pocket Query - the two files are the caches and the child waypoints, if I dismember correctly.

That's quick and dirty basics. Does that help.

Cache On!

JohnTee

Thanks JohnTee,

Yes that helps. I already have and registered the Cachemate, but I could not figure out why I needed it if I also had GSAK.

Thanks.

I think you've got it down pat. Set up the pocket query, open email, save on PC, open GSAK, Load GPX, export to Cachemate.....that's it. I think it's 4 clicks.

Oh, and i think that GSAK is awesome. You can make different databases say for road trips or along a route or local caches near you....

Plus I think it's 2 clicks to transfer the pocket query of caches to your GPS....we love it!

Edited by wavesprite