Auctions to help a local family

BRoKeN W

Hi everyone. Yesterday I received word that a local 6 yr old boy (Dustin) was in critical condition. He apparently choked on a toy and went several minutes without air. He is critical condition and the doctor's say it doesn't look good :rolleyes: . This really breaks my heart because my son will be 6 in a few short months and I couldn't imagine that happening to him. His mom is a hard working single mother of three and could really use all the help she could get in paying the medical bills. If any of you would like to donate coins to be auctioned off please send me an e-mail through gc.com or through PM. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will be listing some coins on e-bay tonight when I get back from school.

Thanks,

Kelly

Hi everyone. Yesterday I received word that a local 6 yr old boy (Dustin) was in critical condition. He apparently choked on a toy and went several minutes without air. He is critical condition and the doctor's say it doesn't look good :rolleyes: . This really breaks my heart because my son will be 6 in a few short months and I couldn't imagine that happening to him. His mom is a hard working single mother of three and could really use all the help she could get in paying the medical bills. If any of you would like to donate coins to be auctioned off please send me an e-mail through gc.com or through PM. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will be listing some coins on e-bay tonight when I get back from school.

Thanks,

Kelly

Oh, Kelly, that is so sad!! My little Grandson will be 6 in June, I would be devastated if anything were to happen to him...what a sad situation. We will keep him and his Mom in our thoughts and wish them the best. I will email you for your address and send some coins out for your auction right away! What a good friend you are!!

~ georgia

I know a child who went thru this same thing. They were given a not so positive outlook from the doctor at the time and the family was devestated...but God willing...that boy came thru it and he is just fine today. He underwent a few surgeries, and had to learn how to walk and talk again. The accident was about 5 years ago but he is just fine today. Please tell her to keep the faith ~~

I'll look thru my coins too Kelly....

I sent a package off to you today. Hope the child comes out OK, children have a remarkable ability to recover. I can speak from experience. When I was three I was infected with La Crosse encephalitis. I got very ill and was in a coma. My parents where told that I may not live, and if I did live I would have severe disabilities. I did wake up and had to re-learn everything that a 3 year old knows how to do, but had totally recovered by the time I was 4 and started school. I ended up being totally normal, well at least by some standards :lol: . Good luck with your auctions!

Gosh thats scary! You should see all the little choking hazards we got sittin around...Sweetpea keeps on telling me "YOU SEE THIS!...This cant be here!"

I hope the best for the single Mamma and will be diggin through my coins tonight to see what I can come up with for your auction.

Our little one will be here any day now...I just cant imagine what it would be like for somethin like that to happen to him/her when "its" old enough to start shovin stuff in its mouth!- Here comes the worried parent!!!

I hope the best for your little friend.

Thank you all for your well wishes and for looking to see if you have any coins to spare!

Robin - Thanks! I will keep a look out for it. I'm glad you recovered from the illness you had as a kid! My husband was actually supposed to be mentally challenged because he had stopped breathing for a good amount of time as a baby (he had croup and meningitis within 3 months of each other), but I swear he is one of the smarted people I know.

007 - Oh yes. Being a parent will only bring you more worries than you could ever imagine. With my son, as a baby he never picked anything up off the ground to put it in his mouth. Now my daughter on the other hand, she sees a clump of dirt and gets to it before you can, it goes in her mouth. Although she's getting better at just giving it to me.

Latest update on Dustin from his mother :lol:

"Dustin's biggest battle and the biggest issues we have with him right now are this.....his brain and his lungs. He has suffered extensive damage to his brain, not just generalized on one area, it is all over. Its like the wires that run a t.v. or a car and most of them are damaged. Sometimes as the doc's say the brain can use its good parts to start taking over actions from the bad parts, and right now there aren't enough good parts for the brain to do that. What the doctors are seeing in the MRI is that his brain has had a series of strokes, and that is where the damage is. He said there are certain chemicals in the brain that can tell us a lot more about the chances of recovery, and right now the worse of those chemicals is something called lactic acid (?), and the doc has never seen it so high in a child before as he see's in Dustin, which medicaly speaking to him means that he would never wake up from this at all. Even if the chemical decreases a great deal, he would not know what that would mean. He said that looking at the results are like looking under the hood of the car, and we see the engine, and the engine does not look good, but it is the test drive that tells us where the car stands. He said that is the same with the brain, looking at it, it does not look good, and Dustins actions to the stimulus is telling us that what the brain looks like in the scan is accurate."

Hi Kelly,

I've yet to 'mint' my own coin, so can't help there. However, kind folks in this forum donated geocoins for give-aways at my first event and I like to try to return the favor every once in a while. Would you like some preforms to auction off? Preforms look like thick-walled, plastic test tubes with screw tops and are what 1-Liter and 2-Liter water and soda bottles start out life as. They make great micros!

PreForms.jpg

Let me know.

Cache On!

JohnTee

JohnTee - Thanks! Any little bit helps. Just PM me for my address.

I haven't heard any recent news on Dustin since last night. I will be going out of town at 4pm (MST), so if I hear anything before then I will post it before I leave. If not I will post tomorrow when I get home.

Thank you all for keeping this family in your thoughts and prayers, as well as donating to help them out financially. It is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Kelly

Thanks Jim. I know it will definitely help them out financially.

Dustin's family decided not to make the decision last night to take him off life support. They wanted to give time, to see if the churches prayers would help bring a miracle. They will however be making that tough decision sometime tonight and could use as many prayers as possible to help them get through this.

Thanks Jim. I know it will definitely help them out financially.

Dustin's family decided not to make the decision last night to take him off life support. They wanted to give time, to see if the churches prayers would help bring a miracle. They will however be making that tough decision sometime tonight and could use as many prayers as possible to help them get through this.

What can I say except for, My heart goes out to his family. It is a very tough decision they have before them :)

Dustin McClure passsed away around 2 A.M. this morning. B) Please keep his family in your prayers while they struggle to deal emotionally with this horrible tragedy.

Thank you all who have prayed for him and sent donations to be auctioned off. Even though the money will come a little late (by mid Feb most likely) I know that the family will appreciate the help. Medical expensese as well as funeral expenses are not cheap by any means, and I only hope the auctions do well enough to cover a good chunk of it. My first auction is still up for another day or so. Auction for Dustin

The day(s) I receive the donations, I will try my hardest to get the auctions up that day and post the link(s) here.

Thanks,

Kelly

Dustin McClure passsed away around 2 A.M. this morning. B) Please keep his family in your prayers while they struggle to deal emotionally with this horrible tragedy.

Thank you all who have prayed for him and sent donations to be auctioned off. Even though the money will come a little late (by mid Feb most likely) I know that the family will appreciate the help. Medical expensese as well as funeral expenses are not cheap by any means, and I only hope the auctions do well enough to cover a good chunk of it. My first auction is still up for another day or so. Auction for Dustin

The day(s) I receive the donations, I will try my hardest to get the auctions up that day and post the link(s) here.

Thanks,

Kelly

How very sad, I'll continue to keep them in my thoughts and prayers. B)

I am so saddened by this news. Kelly, send me your address through my profile and I will send you one of my personals to auction to benefit the family in memory of my son Jamie who passed away 1/28/1986 at the age of 3. The pain this family is experiencing right now is deeply felt by me and I will have a good thought for them that they know they are not alone in their grief. :unsure:

:) Oh my gosh, that is horrible!... Poor little guy! :)

I cant even imagine what the family must begoing through right now! That is just devastating...I can only hope that the friends and family can mend from this in a timely manner, although I cant see how that would even be possible with such a incident.

I am so sorry this ended like this...Was hoping for the best, and dang if the worst prevailed!...I am truly misplaced for words right now...Dont know what to say!!!

Again- I am sorry this ended this way.

Thought I got your addy and couldnt find it... So sending PM to get these coins off to you for at least a little bit of help with the familys loss.

Auctions are up! All of these are unactivated and trackable on geocaching.com. For other obvious reasons, I please ask that you look at the other auctions I have up that are not listed here. All auctions are listed for 3 days, to ensure the proceeds get to the McClure family as quickly as possible. Thanks!

Tranquility Geocoin

Black Widow Geocoin

Cacher Tag Geocoins (Set of 4)

Pirates of Harriman IV

Canine Cachers - 4th edition

Gone Caching 3 (LE)

Gone Caching 3

Thanksgiving 2007