How to use GarminCsvPoiExport.txt on GSAK

j_czerwin

I have just started using this macro on GSAK.

I love it, but it challenges me in Geocaching mode on my 60CSX.

I can click on a POI and get the info. If I want to find that cache then I click SAVE so it is in geocaching mode, then I click goto. And when I click FOUND it is nicely put in to my calendar for logging later that night.

The problem is that when I click SAVE, the name is truncated without GC numbers and it it hard to log them at night -- I have to go by abbreviated names instead.

Is there a solution to this?

Do you use another method?

Thanks for the help == I am really new at this GSAK high tech stuff!

Thanks again. Jay

Hi Jay,

For questions about GSAK macros you should post your question on the macro forum at GSAK.net. The author of that macro would then probably jump right in with advice.

Thanks -- I've done that too and was getting eager to get a reply from someone. So far - nothing....

Thanks again!

Jay

I have just started using this macro on GSAK.

I love it, but it challenges me in Geocaching mode on my 60CSX.

I can click on a POI and get the info. If I want to find that cache then I click SAVE so it is in geocaching mode, then I click goto. And when I click FOUND it is nicely put in to my calendar for logging later that night.

The problem is that when I click SAVE, the name is truncated without GC numbers and it it hard to log them at night -- I have to go by abbreviated names instead.

Is there a solution to this?

Do you use another method?

Thanks for the help == I am really new at this GSAK high tech stuff!

Thanks again. Jay

Okay . . . you asked for another method . . . :)

I've just started using the Garmin POI loader, but haven't used the GSAK macro, so I don't know if this helps.

For the Waypoint name in the Send to GPS dialogue box, I use this "smart name" code:

%smart=9 %con1%typ1%dif1%ter1

That is the same code I use for the Waypoint name in the Export Cachemate .pdb dialogue box.

I also use that code for the waypoint name of the POI.

For the Description in the .gpx Export for the POI Loader, I use this code:

%Name %By %Hint %Code

Now I have part of the Name, the Size of the container, the Type of cache (Traditional, Multi, Virtual, Puzzle), the Difficulty and Terrain (based on a 10-point scale) as the Waypoint name, but in the description, I have the full name, the cache owner, the Hint, and the GC code.

The only time I need the latter is when I am caching with someone else who uses that for reference.

When I am logging my caches at the end of the day, I use the Tracks and Waypoints downloaded from my GPSr to Mapsource, and the GSAK database, and changing "centerpoints," as my method of logging the caches. I never use the GC number because I can get to the GC.com website by double-clicking the cache I want to log in GSAK.

Does that make sense . . . ? :rolleyes:

Edited by Miragee