GSAK Sending caches

Ok, I have had my 60CSx for a year and a half and Im used to how it displays the cache name and the waypoint ID after the name.

The first letter of the cache name is capitalized and the rest are small letters. The Cache ID is Caps also. It appears as though the screen is allowing about 13 characters to be displayed.

NOW comes the part where Im lost. I bought a Vista HCX for my wife and just got done loading the same bunch of caches onto her machine. It looks like there may be a 10 character limit as to what I can send. But the screen is wide enough to hold more Im sure. Since Im sending the exact same database to both machines, why arent they displaying the same thing?

Its been so long since I set up the 60CSx that I dont remember if there were some changes I can make in the Vistas settings to allow more characters. or If thats jus the way it has to be.

Ok, I have had my 60CSx for a year and a half and Im used to how it displays the cache name and the waypoint ID after the name.

The first letter of the cache name is capitalized and the rest are small letters. The Cache ID is Caps also. It appears as though the screen is allowing about 13 characters to be displayed.

NOW comes the part where Im lost. I bought a Vista HCX for my wife and just got done loading the same bunch of caches onto her machine. It looks like there may be a 10 character limit as to what I can send. But the screen is wide enough to hold more Im sure. Since Im sending the exact same database to both machines, why arent they displaying the same thing?

Its been so long since I set up the 60CSx that I dont remember if there were some changes I can make in the Vistas settings to allow more characters. or If thats jus the way it has to be.

Have you tried using the settings for the 60CSX for the Vista. The Vista allows the same length for the waypoint name as the 60CSX.

Also in GSAK, when you open the Send Waypoints To GPS screen set the Maximum Charater to 15.

The Vista HCx doesn't dislplay the cache names in upper and lower case like the 60CSx . . . :) That hasn't been a concern for me, but others have requested that Garmin address this in upcoming firmware.

I think the latest version of GSAK can send 14 characters to the Vista HCx, but for previous versions of GSAK, there was a fix to send 14 characters to the Vista HCx. On my Vista HCx, I use these "smart name" codes:

%smart=9 %con1%typ1%dif1%ter1

This includes part of the Name, the Size of the container, the Type of cache (Traditional, Multi, Virtual, Puzzle), the Difficulty and Terrain (based on a 10-point scale).

The "smart name" codes can be mixed and matched to get the information you think is important for the Waypoint.

In GSAK, on the "Send to GPS" Dialogue box, make sure the Maximum Characters is set to more than 14.

I dont want to change what it is Im sending to the VIsta. I was just wondering why there is a character length difference? As far as changing the Vista settings to the 0CSx settings. What settings in the GPS'r would I need to change If any to allow the displayed characters to be the same?

I am not sure if you've found this out yet, but the problem isn't with GSAK or the firmware. It is a problem with GPSBabel. There is a workaround; see this thread:

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=...mp;hl=vista+hcx

George