Excuses To Muggles

I always tell the truth about what I'm doing when geocaching.

Last Spring, Anchorage-area geocachers had the experience of having all caches booted off army recreation lands in no small part because when cachers were approached by recreation officers and asked what they were doing, the cachers lied at least some of the time. The military land is festooned with cameras, so the recreation officers knew exactly what the cachers were doing. Now, the local caching community has to overcome the perception that cachers can't be trusted to tell the truth when conversing with land managers/law enforcement officers.

The truth invariably runs for the light...why try to keep it in a box?

Edited by Ladybug Kids

Yesterday while caching a couple asked what I was doing, as I had my city ID hanging off my shirt I told them I was completing my tracking test for a promotion, and was being observed and if they talked much longer it might cause me to fail.

As you can see I told the truth, I was doing a tracking test, it would promote my finds count, I was being observed [by them], and if they stayed I would not be able to make my find and I would fail.

Its all in the packaging.

I gave one the other day when I was getting the '`'`'Bricko Krickets'`'`' (GC1JTKH). The container was an old school Cricket Keeper you take on fishing trips with the log container inside it. I had it in my hand screwing the lid to the inner container on, and about to place it back in the outer container. When a guy came up behind me asking what I was doing. I proceeded with the following story.

I turned around and said

"I'm with Georgia Fish and WildLife. Just doing collecting data for an Insect census." He asked what kind. I replied with, "The East Asian Wood Beetle." (I had just eaten at Asia Buffet for lunch that day) He then asked if they were worse. I replied with an "I don't know, that's why I'm surveying the area taking samples." He then commented, "Those Little B*****ds, I'll let you get back to your work." Got back in his car and drove off. After he left I put the cache back, and that has been the smoothest story so far.

As I am a teenager I always get funny/dirty looks when searching for a cache! If people arrive on the scene whilst I am searching, I either admire the view (If there is one) or pretend to ring someone on my GPS :(

However in the future I think I will bring my camera and say I am taking pictures for my art class. I have never been disrupted by the police when caching, but with them I think it is best to tell the truth!

Edited by Mini-Geek