Excuses To Muggles

I have one of those metal clipboards that opens like a book for paper storage etc. I keep it full of geocach info and paperwork, that combined with the GPSr seems to make me look like a surveyor or something like that and I have never been questioned while doing that.

One time I was 50 feet off a remote trail with a friend searching for stage 1 of a complex 5 stage multi. After 45 min. of looking I called out to my friend saying "I hate this guy, where the heck did he put it", then I heard from the direction of the trail "What are you guys looking for"?. A Muggle dog walker had come upon us and understandably was curious. That time as every other time if the Muggle seams like a responsible, respectful person I explaine about Geocaching, half the time they seem very interested and say they might look into it, the other half of the time the seem to think it all sounds a bit weird and they go on there way.

Generally if they seem anything other than interested in Geocaching I will tell them that all you find are log books to sign and I don't mention the cach. I try to not tell them I'm looking for lost jewelry or anything so that they don't decide to look for the item for themselves, and stumble upon the cach. Plus I would feel like a jerk explaining to them that I lied if they turned out to be nice people who stopped to help you search.

I also will tap my thumbs on my GPSr as if I am texting someone while I'm looking past the GPSr for a film can hidden in a shrub or something.

I think however, from now on I will start telling people that "The wife said we have to bring the kids home for a proper burial" LOL,LOL..

Thanks for reading what I have to say,

Mike

I've had several encounters with geo-muggles - one was at a very well hidden cache inside a mall - hidden on a phone booth - (cache now archived- reasons unknown) while I was searching for it several people approached and I faked heart trouble - (I knew how to do that because just prior to the incident I didn't have to fake it) and I told them I was OK - I just needed to rest a bit . - As I sat on the floor several security personel showed up , prepared to call the ambulance :lol: - it took a bit of talking but I convinced them that I didn't need another expensive high speed ride to the hospital - the diversion did work rather well tho ;)

I like the poop bag idea. I usually have the dog and the poop bags, so I'm all set.

One day I tracked down a cache that in all likelihood was stuck up under a metal picnic table. I waited patiently for a man and his toddler to leave, but they didn't. I finally went over and struck up a conversation. I explained what geocaching was, what I was doing, and then reached under the table and retrieved the cache. He saw me sign the log and put the cache back. Thought it was a pretty cool hobby and figured he might try it when the kid got older.

As a law enforcement officer that caches...if encountered by police tell the truth(I cant stress that enough). Most (and I mean most, not all) will understand. You may have to dumb it down to terms like "treasure hunting with a GPS unit" but if you got caught in a lie or deception that may cause for further delays and questioning. Whether you like it or not police are paid to be observant and to ask questions for something that doesnt make sense. Such as someone looking around a bush for 5 minutes!

Good luck caching and I hope your encounters with police are more encouraging than less than memorable!

-XC

I was caching with a friend once in a parking lot (close to midnight), we had just lifted the metal skirt at the bottom of a light pole when a local cop pulled up and said " it's a little late to be doing maintenance isn't it?" we told him the truth and told him that if he hung around for a minute we would show him the cache(which wasn't under the skirt), he said he didn't have time. we were thankful that he left because it was a DNF. about 30 minutes later we pulled in to the back of a Hotel, there was a cache at the base of the large hotel sign. a spotlight hit us as we got out of the car, same cop, my friend stayed and talked to him as i ran and got the cache, i showed it to him, he thought it was really neat, he even told us that he was going to take our license plate number so that if anyone called the station to report a couple of suspicious guys the station would know it was us and would tell them not to worry about it. we thanked him for understanding, and we didn't run into him anymore that night.

it's been my experience to give them a quick rundown of the game, has worked best for me anyway

We were surprised by a friend of ours who we had just introduced to Geocaching ... that day.

We were scrambling around a bunch of rocks by a stream next to a very popular roadhouse populated with beer drinking, "biker" muggles. We told him that we needed to use a bit of stealth and that it's important that muggles not find the cache's because they often take or destroy them.

So when this big guy comes over and asks us what we are looking for, our friend was quick witted and said we'd dropped a piece of jewelry. Then ... he thought again realizing that real jewelry might cause someone to look themselves ... and quickly said that it's not expensive ... just sentimental value to his wife, and pointed to her standing at the top of the hill. I was really surprised that he responded quicker than we did. I think he was "getting into it". :blink:

Edited by BoomerDuo

I was in Florida earlier this year and was walking down a bike trail. As luck has it, the container was next to a spot that four older men had parked their bike and they was sitting on the other side of the trail talking. I knew that I wasn't coming back for it later so I walked up and talked to them and told them what I was out doing. They thought it was interesting. So you can tell most muggles what you are doing without the worry of the cache coming up missing, well, unless they are kids. :D

I was looking for a cache in an area that was across the street from some warehouses and after looking for awhile a fellow called to me over and asked what was going on. He explained that cars had been pulling up there all day long and people would get out and search around for a while and and then leave. He said that they had been having problems of people coming and stealing copper wire and other things from the warehouses so he was worried that perhaps we were casing out this area to steal more items. So I explained to him about geocaching and that we were no threat to his property. He seemed pretty interested in the hobby and would like to try it sometime. I hope I eased his mind regarding all of the people poking around that area. BTW, that cache was a DNF for me and I later learned that it had come up missing and had to be replaced. Have not been back since it was replaced.

Edited by heberkid

I generally cache with my dog. So when it takes a little longer and muggles look interested at us I simply say "cant you hurry up, this really does not look like such an interesting spot to sniff" ...only bad if the dog is already bored and pulls on to nicer grounds.

Usually people do not ask much. Last week a couple of boys on bicycles followed me around and then asked if I was looking for somebody...and told me that I am on their bike-cross course. Anyway, I told me them I enjoy the scenery and that its so quiet (was on a tiny like in the woods.... mosquito-heaven) and they left. One was close to a playground in the woods, and my SO was worried about a bunch of muggles maybe 200 yards away taking a rest...but hey, something like "we were here on the weekend with my godchild and she lost her new watch and now we are looking for it" always satisfies people.

Now, said SO is much harder to excuse towards muggles. He at times talks very loudly... and sentences like "we should come back later, here are too many muggles" are kind of suspicious :)

I just say I'm Geocaching, they look at me like I'm a dork and walk away.

Seems happen frequently, oh wait, those are other cachers....

In the case of true muggles, confess if it is the police or security.

Or admit I am playing a game.

Once, I parked in front of a house, went to get the cache and when I returned this lady was writing down my license number. As it happened, there had been serial shootings and home invasions (for real) in the areas at that time. I guess I don't look very intimidating so she confessed that she was getting increasingly alarmed a the number of cars parking in front of her house for just a few minutes and then leaving, so she was writing down the license plate numbers!

Imagine her relief when I explained Geocaching and that all those cars weren't stalking her it was jut the only place to park! Poor Lady!

What stories would you care to share????

I haven't had a great number of muggle encounters. I carry a small 3x5" notebood (with water proof paper) that I use for jotting down notes that I want to remember for my online logs, copying down coin/tb numbers for discovery, etc. A few times when I have been in the woods and someone comes walking down the trail I might sit down, look up into tree, at my GPS, and write something down. I've never had anyone stop and ask what I was doing.

I've been "caught" twice while searching for a cache by the police. The first time I had found the cache, went back to my car to sign the log (it was probably 10 degrees out at the time) then went back and replaced the cache. As I turned around a cop pulled into the small park and stopped. He rolled down his window and asked, "What were you hiding back there?" I explained what geocaching was about and he said I was good to go. Somewhere I've got a paper that I downloaded that has a nice description of geocaching that can be folded in thirds and given to anyone that you might encounter.

I got muggled one other time at a cache that is one of the most scenic and tourist spots in town (there is a gorgeous 100' waterfall nearby). It was on a cache that I had DNFd on several times (too many muggles was a legitimate excuse for a couple of those). While searching for it a couple of people had climbed down the steep trail before I could see or hear them coming and asked what I was looking for. I explained Geocaching to them and had a nice chat with them for about 20 minutes. They said it sounded like a lot of fun and wanted to try it sometime. I would have asked if they wanted to help me look but I didn't have time and logged another DNF. I found it withing2 minutes the next time I looked for it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The pre-printed explanation is a great idea, especially for encounters with the police. It seems that geocaching is getting better known by the week, if you run into an officer who isn't familiar with the game, giving him/her something tangeable to check on would probably help the situation.

Reading about the police encounters reminded me of an experience I had when I was about 20 years old. I was into fur trapping with a friend of mine and we used to check some of our traps in the wee hours to avoid what would be considered muggles in the trapping world. Well, my friend and I were in chest waders, standing in this small, but deep pool at the outlet to a large storm drain. Both our backs were turned to the road and we were up to our waist in the water when a car pulls up, we turn around and get the old spotlight shining directly into our eyes treatment, followed by the commanding voice asking what are we doing. Frankly, it looked like we were hiding a body, and we both knew it. We were both scared to death that ANY explanation we gave wouldn't be believed under the circumstances, but we started telling him what we were up to and that we come out at 3:00 A.M. to avoid being seen by the public, yada, yada, yada.

By the grace of God, it turns out that the cop was an old friend of mine who finally shined a flashlight onto his face while confirming who he was. He said he believed us and to stay safe, playing in such deep water so late at night. And as he turned to get back in the patrol car, I thought I heard him muttering something about making sure to tuck the body in real good. Sounded like he was really mad at his wife :P (just kidding about he last two sentences).

It was May, 25th (Towel day, for the ignorant :rolleyes: ) and I was out caching with a buddy. We were visiting a traditional which was (pretty obviously according to the coordinates) on top of a 30m steel tower, the only structure in a circle of about 1km maybe. Said tower is also a target for families hiking on sundays etc. as the view from the top is pretty nice. Well, some rain had been predicted so I was wearing my blue-orange Goretex "Royal Mail" jacket, my clipboard (I got used to that, it's just so much more comfortable than having all the printouts stuffed in my pocket) and my black army backpack and like this, we were heading straight for the tower and up the stairs. Well, as we were logging the cache (which we sure found on top stuck to a t-bar), we were already wondering why there were no ppl on the platform, although we had passed some families on the way. A quick glance over the guardrail gave the answer: There were lots of ppl standing down there, pointing at us but didn't dare to climb the tower while "the technicians were doing stuff up there". Lesson: Sometimes walking boldly right through the middle is the best stealth technique :wub:

amusing replies!!

A local cache to me is situated on the underside of a small bridge. whilst looking for the cache, a group of ramblers asked me what i was doing hanging from the bridge and looking down for?

I promptly replied and said that i had been night fishing by the bridge last night, and had managed to loose some expensive fishing tackle. They looked as though they had been fooled, until one of them announced that the river had been dry for the past two years.

To that i replied "No wonder i didnt catch anything lol, it was dark and i didnt have a torch!!"

Dont think i got away with that one!!

:rolleyes:

Law Enforcement: Haven't had the pleasure yet, but as mentioned, be entirely honest and forthcoming. Me, I would show the cache description on my Colorado if necessary.

I am a member of the Civil Air Patrol and occasionally go out looking for Emergency Locater Transmitters that signal the position of a crashed aircraft (but which normally around here are set off by accident). When we check airports, we use amber emergency lighting to be visible to active aircraft and the tower. When I go caching, I usually have it (magnetically) mounter to my roof- both in case I am stopped somewhere and want other drivers to use caution (if I am on the roadside) and so that muggles have less incentive to question me - I look official. I had a cache in a shopping center that I was trying to find late at night, and a bunch of teenagers were hanging around. When they saw me pull into the parking lot, they assumed I was security and left the area. :o I have a number of radio antennas on the Jeep as well (ham radio operator), which adds to the "officialness". If I *really* needed to play the part, I'd have the portable radio on my belt as well, but thus far that hasn't been necessary.

The side benefit to this is that less people think I am a terrorist or anyone else to worry about.

For everyone else, when you have a muggle that you don't trust (or when you don't feel safe) I'd suggest the clipboard approach as noted before, along with a survey story - comparing the position of known objects to geospatial references for survey purposes (or some such nonsense). If you feel threatened, get a "text message" from your "partner" and excuse yourself saying that you are holding him up and don't want to make him come back there to find you!

The other day I was Looking for a level 4 difficulty on a pier, at one pint I dropped to my knees and looked down, I was like this for about 20 seconds before I looked around and saw several people staring and whispering to each other. I don't know what they thought but it looked like I was facing east to pray or something. I just kept right on prayin.

I usually just explain what I'm doing. If I'm with someone else, I generally don't get asked what I'm doing, though. We just have a conversation that covers it up. Last week I was walking in the city alone, and I had someone approach me and ask what I was looking for because maybe he could help me find it. It was said rather suggestively. I smiled and pretended my gpsr was a camera (it does look like one!) and just kept taking "pictures." "Nope, just sight seeing." I wonder of men and women caching by themselves, which attracts more questions?

A few days ago I had my first muggle encounter. We were at a park and I was poking here and there with a walking stick, near a stream. I heard a small voice call out "Are you a biologist?" I look up, and there's a little boy (3 or 4 years old?) walking nearby with his mother. My reply was honest: "No, I just love nature!" The little boy gave a huge grin and said proudly, "I love nature too!" The mother and I traded smiles and then some silent laughter.

I briefly considered saying what was really happening, but figured the mom might not be pleased if her son wanted to help out some strangers with a treasure hunt. :laughing:

Just yesterday I had this encounter at GCXW2T...

Once we parked and started exploring the park and seeking GZ, we had one of the most interesting muggle encounters to date... A lady asked us if we worked for the Parks Dept as she'd seen us working with our 'computer' and making notes on a clipboard, she wanted to complain about a broken water fountain. Thinking quickly I explained that I was taking notes for a book on veterans memorials... She accepted that without blinking and went on her way.

This is a different kind of encounter. The first cache that I had ever hidden was about 400 feet from my house along a walking trail. A couple of days after I had hidden the cache, I looked out my window and saw two older ladies searching my front yard and around my basketball goal. I went out and asked them if I could help them and they replied that they were thinking of getting a basketball goal for their house and wanted to look at mine close up. I thought that was rather strange and we talked for a couple of minutes and off they went. After having that weird encounter, I turned on my GPS and checked my coords. for my cache and discovered that I had accidently published that coords. for my house instead of the cache. I quickly posted a note and change the coords. and so far I have not had any more old ladies in my front yard wanting to play basketball. LOL :ph34r:

This is absolutely hilarious!

I love reading these!!

Edited by smstout19

I recently found a cache in a wooded park across the street from a school. A LEO spotted me walking back to my truck and stopped to question me. I gave a brief explanation of Geocaching. He asked me " So how much cash have you found." After I told him there was no cash involved , he had me walk him out to the cache site and show him the cache. Guess he couldn't believe that someone would hunt for a logbook.

There was one cache that I found that was behind a sign that was on a wall. As I was replacing it, someone taking out the trash asked me what I was doing and I explained geocaching and how its a gps sport and what not. She thought I was making it up, but the part that really bugs me is that since I am a teenager people think I am instantly up to no good. I replaced the cache without another word, got in the car and me and my dad drove away.

One excuse that I heard from the person that introduced me to caching(CaptainMath) is (particullarly for urban enviroments) to pretend that your gps is a phone and talk to it. Pretend the person on the other line lost something and repeat what the say aloud. For example: put the gps to the ear and say things like "O, so you thing you lost it near the bench" or "So you think it's next to the library" and then looked at the gps sometimes like you would with a phone when your connection is breaking up.

Edited by xxxultimatemetfan05xxx

If I'm in a heavy muggle area, I take my clipboard with me and play the old "inspector" routine. I think I've inspected 25% of the light poles in the Orlando Metro Area. One time in the St. Louis area I was waiting out some muggles at a spot where a rail-to-trail path crossed a road and a car stops and the driver asked if I was a trail inspector because there was a maintenance issue about half a mile down the road

The only true muggle encounter I've had was when I went to a lake park for a cache. My GPSr pointed me to the spot where a dock went out into the water. Problem? Lost of muggles. Three were older folks and I consider them safe. Two were "moms" sitting at a covered bench. Then I saw a bunch of teenagers with a jetski and tube coming into shore. I walked around a bit and determined that GZ was right at the start of the dock - obviously tucked underneath. Of course no way to do it without being noticed. I had a hunch the kids were okay so I asked them to do me a favor, and a few swam under the dock and after a short while located the hook it was attached to and retrieved it, then they all sat around me while I signed the log. That's when I noticed why I had a hunch that these kids were alright. One of them was obviously learning-disabled and what I had subconciously noticed was them taking good care of his safety getting back on to the dock and that he was included in the group and not a hinderance. Good kids!

Not that I personally have had brush-ins with law enforcement, but i know several local cachers who have.

There is a park in very close proximity to my house. It's basically comprised of baseball fields and soccer fields, you know, somewhere for all the little-league games to take place. The thing is, however, the surrounding neighborhood is not too savory, and so it is very freqently patrolled by law enforcement to prevent druggies from taking over the soccer park.

There was a series of caches, ten I believe, placed in the park. It doesn't help that they are near things like electrical poles that are fenced off, air conditioning units... Naturally, it looks suspicious. One cannot begin to count the number of times innocent cachers have been pulled aside for looking around a little TOO much. xDD

I was searching an area near a bike/walking path reststop, day before last. A woman riding her bike stopped and was drinking out of her water bottle when she notice me standing by a tree. She quickly looked away, said "Oh, I'm sorry." and took off down the trail on her bike. I guess it looked like I was watering the tree. Hah, ha!

The first time I was stopped was by an off duty police officer, I was searching in the car park of a church (I later found out that the cache placer was the church pastor) and the officer was a churchgoer, he said I looked suspicious hanging around the cars wearing a camoflage backpack, he was slightly worried at first when I told him I found the GPS co-ords for this place on the internet! I found the cache though and he calmed down when he saw I really was looking for a plastic box with some toys in it!

Another time I was at the co-ords for a virtual (a commemorative stone) and was writing down the info needed when a local historian started talking to me, he'd written an article on the event the stone comemmorated and told me the rest of the answers needed to log the cache!

My rule is:

Police officers/security, tell the truth.

Trustworthy muggles, tell the truth, in laymans terms.

Untrustworthy muggles and kids, I usually say my kids lost a tennis ball and I've been sent back to find it, I like the boundary marker excuse though, but I really don't look like a surveyor in my geocaching gear!

I had an interesting "muggle" experience Monday night. I drove to a park 20 miles north of me to get a FTF on a new cache that was just posted. As I was getting out of my car, getting my stuff together (hiking stick, flashlight, gps), a "muggle" in a pickup drove by me through the park's parking lot. Before I could walk away from my car, he'd turned around and come back to ask me if I was looking for something. I told him no, I was just taking a night time stroll. Tis too hot to go walking during the day, so I come out here in the middle of the night, when tis cool. He said oh, ok, and drove away. I continued on to look for the cache, which I was FTF. :) I found out yesterday that the guy in the pickup wasn't a muggle but, another cacher trying to get FTF on that new cache! ROFL

one occasion: the truth about the game

other time: I work for the us geological survery, and we think there is a quake fault line out here, i am searching for a place to place a sysmograph via GPS coordinates. then a group of men will come and locate the actual hardware, but you cant tell anyone, as kids will desgtroy the equipemnt if they find it"

That actually reminds me of the movie "Evolution":-) One of the guys in the movie was a COmmunityu COlelge geology teacher and volunteer for the USGS - and made a huge deal of the USGS agent thing a ocuple times in the movie :-)

I've learned lately that caching with some kiddies in tow means muggles don't tend to give you a second glance. Somehow they seem to think it's perfectly normal for 2 adults and 2 kids to be rummaging along a fence line at the edge of a park :P

Failing that, "It's an internet based...." by which point they're half-way through thinking "Geeky..." and have lost interest :P

Somehow they seem to think it's perfectly normal for 2 adults and 2 kids to be rummaging along a fence line at the edge of a park :anitongue:

Well one cache my buddy and I were after took us along the outer fenceline of a kids' day care....

Thankfully, no kids were out, since two adults in their 20s holding a GPS and a digital camera look REALLY out of place there!

I've learned lately that caching with some kiddies in tow means muggles don't tend to give you a second glance. Somehow they seem to think it's perfectly normal for 2 adults and 2 kids to be rummaging along a fence line at the edge of a park :anitongue:

Failing that, "It's an internet based...." by which point they're half-way through thinking "Geeky..." and have lost interest :laughing:

I cache with 4 boys, so you'd think that we have plenty of excuses for running around in the brush. But a few weeks ago, a guy actually asked me if we were geocaching. He said that I was holding something in my hand and not talking on it, so he figured it was a GPS. I was pretty shocked (and weirded out), since I hadn't had the GPS out for about 20 minutes. It made me wonder how long he'd been watching us.

I've been asked a few times. Generally, I just tell them that I'm on a scavenger hunt with my GPS. Most folks smile and say that it sounds like fun. I have had one or two people ask for more details. Those folks get the geocaching info card and a nice discussion. If I ever get stopped by the authorities, I will tell them exactly what I'm doing and give them the the info card. Law enforcement officers have enough to do without having to deal with an overly sassy gal giving them a line of bull.

Recently I've been finding myself thinking "if anyone asks, I'll just tell them I'm doing something for a geology college class" whenever I'm searching for caches around geological formations like big rocks (which is kind of true, I have taken a geology class in the past :huh: ). Otherwise, I just ask if they're familiar with geocaching and explain it to them if they aren't

I was looking for “Nano on a bridge without water, GC1DDZ2”. A scraggly guy on a beat up old bike with a wagon tied to his rear fender rode up. He asked what I was doing. As I explained Geocaching he was eyeing up the GPS. I held the GPS with a firm grip even though I had a neck strap on. I was ready to cram it in my shirt and do what I had to if he made a grab for it. Then, he asked what the GPS was. I showed him how it worked. He replied, “Ain’t that something, Good Luck”, and rode on. As he rode off I noticed the bundle well tied on his wagon. Probably all of his worldly possessions.

I had to take few minutes and take stock. Here I was playing with my $500 GPS on a nice evening. Did this guy eat today? Did he have a place to sleep? I cam home, got online and made a donation to the local “Feed My Lambs” soup kitchen.

I got stopped by a security guard yesterday as I emerged from the bushes after finding a cache and he wanted to know "why do you people keep going back there?". I told him we're avid train enthusiasts and the tracks that are back in the woods are historic. He said "ok, fair enough" and took off. :D

lol these are some pretty funny stories. Me and some friends (we're all 16 at the moment) have recently started geocaching, we've only done 4 so far, and got some pretty strange looks from some people I guess we really do look suspicious since we're just teenagers haha. I guess in some ways its an advantage and other ways it isn't haha.

lol these are some pretty funny stories. Me and some friends (we're all 16 at the moment) have recently started geocaching, we've only done 4 so far, and got some pretty strange looks from some people I guess we really do look suspicious since we're just teenagers haha. I guess in some ways its an advantage and other ways it isn't haha.

Oh yes, I can confirm it's an advantage. Today was the second day that I went on the hunt with a 21 year-old fellow cacher. He is three years older than me but about 15 centimetres smaller. When we strived around a parking lot with some really old roman walls, I imagined how I'd reply to a suspecious mind questioning our behaviour: "You see, that small boy was just soooooooo interested in these historic walls, I just *couldn't* forbid hime to go there, so I went with him." :-D

@ Martin, if you read this: Never mind a crazy guy telling crazy stories :rolleyes: