Need Help With Palm/Cachemate

Thot

I find these Palms among the most finicky digital gadget I've ever dealt with. It seems to constantly be one problem or another.

I use a Palm IIIxe with Cachemate.

A couple of weeks ago I had to reinstall XP. Now I can't get the Palm to work with Cachemate. I reinstalled the Palm software and added Cachmate to it. It hotsyncs up fine and does all it's Palm software stuff, but it ignores the Cachemate cache file. The file show up in the Palm "Quick Install" and if I try to reload it I get a message that says, "File is already in the handleld list." Deleting it and reloading it doesn't help.

Anybody have any ideas?

Edited by Thot

I'm sorry you are having all those problems. I've been using my Palm m500 for more than six years and have never had a single problem with it.

I've also installed Cachemate on a Palm m515 and a Palm Lifedrive, without a problem.

If the Cachemate .prc file won't transfer with the Palm Desktop HotSync, you could download a little program called "PilotInstall" and use it to transfer the .prc file to the handheld. I have used that to transfer .pdb files to my Palm because the HotSync doesn't work with Windows XP "Media Edition," the OS on this DELL laptop. :)

I need to apologize to everyone for not getting back yesterday to explain that I solved the problem.

Since nothing changed on the device, only on the computer end, I reasoned that something about the computer end had to be the problem. I had uninstalled and reinstalled but I kept trying this. I won't bore you with the 4 times but here's the drill that worked:

Uninstall the Palm software

Delete the folder where it was installed

Reboot the machine

Reinstall the software

Reboot the machine

After resetup it worked.

But, you cannot skip any of the above steps. I know I tried every possibility before doing the full procedure.