A Different Linux Question...

BTBAM

So I just bought an Asus Eee PC 4G 701 and am running ubuntu and was planning on using it out when I'm caching with my colorado to get wifi and download new waypoints around. Since the colorado has the paperless caching, I don't need a program like watcher or gsak, as long as when i plug in my colorado (or GPSmap 60csx for that matter) into the usb, I'll be able to download waypoints directly to the garmin via the plugin. I guess what I'm asking is if garmin communicator works on linux. Is this going to work while I'm running ubuntu or do I need to put windows on it?

Edited by BTBAM

gpsbabel runs on linux and I think it will talk over the usb.

might be as simple as "aptitude install gpsbabel" and then read the manpage. I use it with serial on my linux box, but haven't tried usb.

I think I'm going to stay away from gpsbabel.

I'm thinking....like running Wine on there....or...just if there is a download of garmin communicator somewhere that runs on linux, just some way to download from the site directly to the gps using the linux.

I'm thinking....like running Wine on there....or...just if there is a download of garmin communicator somewhere that runs on linux, just some way to download from the site directly to the gps using the linux.

WINE and Garmin / gps stuff traditionally does not get along very well.

gpsbabel is trivial once you get it set up. I run it from a shell script (split across lines for legibility):

gpsbabel \

-D2 \

-i gpx -f SOMEFILE.gpx \

-o garmin -F /dev/ttyS0

The shell script does more tricks but that's how I send files to the foretrex.

WINE and Garmin / gps stuff traditionally does not get along very well.

gpsbabel is trivial once you get it set up. I run it from a shell script (split across lines for legibility):

gpsbabel \

-D2 \

-i gpx -f SOMEFILE.gpx \

-o garmin -F /dev/ttyS0

The shell script does more tricks but that's how I send files to the foretrex.

Well...i've never had a linux before...and I just know my friend was telling me to put ubuntu on it.

Am I going to have to run that script every time I want to run gpsbabel? I suppose I don't understand what the program does.

if you can get WIFI in an area with your EEE........then I dont know if its really worth caching :unsure:, that seems quite Urban

almost seems like your girl friend hiding toilet paper in the community laundry and then seeking it out for a cache

no offense, but whats next..........a dog that fetches the caches for you? or recharge stations in the woods every 1/8 mile for the electronics?

yay lets bring everythinggggggggg that we have in the house, to the woods......that way we can get board of the woods tooo!!!!!

Well...i've never had a linux before...and I just know my friend was telling me to put ubuntu on it.

Am I going to have to run that script every time I want to run gpsbabel? I suppose I don't understand what the program does.

The eee already has a linux OS on it.

gpsbabel does many things; the script is for ease of use and acts as a wrapper for this one function. I use it to upload to my foretrex201 because that way I don't have to remember the details.

if you can get WIFI in an area with your EEE........then I dont know if its really worth caching :unsure:, that seems quite Urban

almost seems like your girl friend hiding toilet paper in the community laundry and then seeking it out for a cache

no offense, but whats next..........a dog that fetches the caches for you? or recharge stations in the woods every 1/8 mile for the electronics?

yay lets bring everythinggggggggg that we have in the house, to the woods......that way we can get board of the woods tooo!!!!!

I am using the comp for, oh say if I'm on a road trip or something and out of the state, or in an area I wasn't planning on driving too. How would anyone get waypoints on their GPS without it? How do you expect to find a cache if you don't have the waypoint? Sort of a silly comment to make if you ask me.

Besides, I'll probably bet there are just as many urban caches as there are deep in the woods, away from connection caches....but the point still is, you gotta have a way to get the points to the GPS.

Edited by BTBAM

Your fear of technology is showing.