Enthusiasm

Wadders

Can I turn this into a 'How to get over a lull' thread? If it were me, I'd get myself somewhere special to reengauge my interest. Caching in New York maybe? Somewhere hotter at this time of year perhaps? Any caches on the Maldives?

My brother Marmite Toast acted in advance on your suggestion and did some caching in New York last week. Not sure he was going through a lull though- he only started on Boxing Day and had only found 10 when he went :rolleyes:

As you can guess by my absence from here and chat. i have also been in a lull since coming back from Canada in October. i think it really is a winter blues thing. I just can't get anyone else in the family interested in going out and time seems to get restricted a lot with numerous other things which are becoming more important.

I wonder if people's enthusiasm wanes when they have reached a target that they have been chasing for some time. It would be interesting to know if people slow down or stop when they have reached 100, 1000 etc. Are there a significant number of cachers stuck in the 100-110 range and 1000-1100 range? Perhaps your best bet would be to just do one or two here and there like alma suggested and take it easy. Mind you the weather doesn't help.

Thats exactly what happened to me. I reached my 400th find back in mid November after spending the previous months chasing micros to get my numbers up. Once I had my 400th, I only found 3 caches the rest of the year! I just didn't have the motivation to go out after that.

This year I have got back on track but I now realise that it really isn't about the numbers for me anymore.

We are in a bit of a lull at the moment.

We will be caching when on holiday as its cheap and you get to see lots of great spots.

At home we are targetting certain caches for this year.

In fact this weekend as its still dark quite early we are driving 60 odd miles to do a night cache.

Once you realise clearing the nearest unfound is not compulsory (after all there are always nearest unfound caches in the list) it becomes easier.

Work out what you enjoy be it drive bys or 3 terrain multis and go after those.

The miserable wet winter weather does not help though :lol:

I had a 'What am I doing' moment last Saturday while out caching. I had 15 possibles on my list to do and after 3 hours had only found 4 with 1 DNF. Most were Urbans which I'm not a great fan of and I just felt I was taking too long on each. B)

The elements weren't helping - the rain the days before had made the DNF more of mission impossible as I think the cache was in the roots of a tree next to brook. The brook was now a raging torrent 3 feet deep and I couldn't see the roots !! B)

Eventually I snapped out of it (phew!) as I moved into the countryside, but then.....

... last cache of the day (only because the sun was going down) and I got to within 300 feet of the cache and my path was crossed by another raging torrent coming off the river Cam into the field I was sanding in. Pondering what to do and my foot slipped and I ended up in 6 inches of water !! :lol: ....

... what to do now ..... continue caching of course - I was now wet so what the heck. I found the cache and headed off home with 12 finds and the 1 DNF and two wet feet.

I cheered up a bit..... :lol:

Losing your enthusiasm!........I've just found this photo on the 'Recent Images Log'

b595c413-3b57-4981-9fcb-5930bd53b9b3.jpg

By the expression on the face of this lady I think she's on the verge of telling her other half exactly what he can do with the micro capsule B) Let's hope it's a micro, it could be an ammo can! B)

I've seem the same look on my wifes face :lol:

The one on the right looks like she's desperate for a wee!

Edited by Fuchsiamagic

:drama: And still it continues......another weekend off, it's not raining and not the slightest inclination to go and find a plastic box!

I said when I did my 3000th that I was going to become a "greener" cacher, rather than driving all over the country chasing the little blighters, I never meant to become this green!

However i may go and check on one of mine when walking the dog later............perhaps thats a start :drama:

:drama: And still it continues......another weekend off, it's not raining and not the slightest inclination to go and find a plastic box!

I said when I did my 3000th that I was going to become a "greener" cacher, rather than driving all over the country chasing the little blighters, I never meant to become this green!

However i may go and check on one of mine when walking the dog later............perhaps thats a start :drama:

I must say that the one negative I see from caching is that the more you do, the further you have to drive. When you get to 3,000, it must start getting very difficult, especially as you are probably used to hoovering them up in great numbers- how else would you get to 3,000? Do you have to content yourself with tidying up the occasional cache that is close to home you haven't found (or a new one pops up)? Perhaps you need to take more weekend breaks to areas you haven't much cached in. It would be interesting to hear how a 3,000+ cacher such as yourself views such issues. If caching does continue to grow as a hobby (fuelled by cheaper GPS's etc) it may be that these concerns will be far less of an issue, as there will be lots of new caches, that will keep even the most prolific cacher occupied. I do think that there is ample room for new caches without them turning into junk caches.

I must say that the one negative I see from caching is that the more you do, the further you have to drive. When you get to 3,000, it must start getting very difficult, especially as you are probably used to hoovering them up in great numbers- how else would you get to 3,000? Do you have to content yourself with tidying up the occasional cache that is close to home you haven't found (or a new one pops up)? Perhaps you need to take more weekend breaks to areas you haven't much cached in. It would be interesting to hear how a 3,000+ cacher such as yourself views such issues. If caching does continue to grow as a hobby (fuelled by cheaper GPS's etc) it may be that these concerns will be far less of an issue, as there will be lots of new caches, that will keep even the most prolific cacher occupied. I do think that there is ample room for new caches without them turning into junk caches.

Yep, to some degree that is true, for the new cachers around now it is a lot easier to get the numbers up quickly, when I started I had to travel around a bit and it has become like that again now that i have done most of the local ones. If I want a good numbers day then I have to do at least 100 round trip. Since I have been caching, I have on two occasions asked myself the question; "what the hell am I doing, racing around these lanes for plastic boxes"? The best days caching in 2007 was a 14 mile walk over Dartmoor for 8 or 10 caches, just me and the dog :D .

With regard to the quality of caches, yes, the more caches that are out there, the more poorly sited and less thought out caches that you will come across IMHO.

I came across more and more of those at the later end of 2007 and you end up asking yourself "Why have they put one here"? and that is one reason that I questioned what I was doing, and one reason for the lack of enthusiasm so far in 2008 :drama:

It also made me very aware of my carbon footprint, but thats another topic totally :drama:

I haven't been in this game long enough, but I'm sure you are right that the quality of caches is going downhill. I don't feel there is any reason why they have to though- there are still many opportunities to place caches that are either interesting or scenic (or both). Perhaps it is as cachers are placing new caches without adequate experience more often now (perhaps as they need less of a comitment to join given that GPS prices have fallen or they already have a GPS through a car sat-nav etc). Maybe in new caches submitted there should be a line where you have to justify your cache- just meeting guidelines about being safe, not needing permission and being more than 100m away from the nearest one don't guarantee for a good caching experience.

but I'm sure you are right that the quality of caches is going downhill

I'm not so sure that the quality of caches is going downhill.

There are certainly more rubbish caches about nowadays - but then four years ago when I started there were some rubbish caches about too (I know because I set some of them! :drama: ), and the proportion doesn't seem to have gone up - unless you include the endless flow of micros chucked in hedges.... (I blame COTM for that - lol :drama::drama::drama: ) :D:D

but I'm sure you are right that the quality of caches is going downhill

I'm not so sure that the quality of caches is going downhill.

There are certainly more rubbish caches about nowadays - but then four years ago when I started there were some rubbish caches about too (I know because I set some of them! :drama: ), and the proportion doesn't seem to have gone up - unless you include the endless flow of micros chucked in hedges.... (I blame COTM for that - lol :drama::drama::drama: ) :D:D

I'd agree with that - the actual number of caches in the UK has rocketed in recent years, so the number of poor caches has also gone up, but I wouldn't mind betting the proportions are broadly the same.

I don't know about elsewhere, but round here cache hides are certainly taking the game in a new and interesting (and bloody difficult!!!) direction. The puzzles have been taking off, and in the last year, we have Cache-U-Nutter hiding some extremely challenging physical caches - all in an urban environment! This gives us a different sort of challenge, and one which we (mostly!) enjoy! We also have a micro series where the cache itself may only be small micro (possibly even in a hedge) but the point is to take us to a new and unexplored location in our home county.

Anyway, back on topic, maybe wadders you need to try some new types of caches - if you want some taxing puzzles to solve - you can try the ones round here for me! Let me know when you get the answers..!

I don't know about anyone else, but I am getting tired that geocaching seems to becoming more about the numbers. I really LOVE to find geocaches that are interesting or unusual or take me somewhere I wouldn't have gone if I wasn't geocaching.

Now, however, there is such a proliferation of geocaches in my area that are just the same old thing. Microcaches or small caches in parking lots or little area parks and other non-fascinating areas.

Now, even virtual caches have gone the way of locationless caches, which were interesting in their own right. I have never gotten much into Waymarking, and it appears to not be popular in my area.

If I want to go for a day of geocaching just to see how many caches I can find then it is great (like fishing in a barrel), but otherwise it is pretty boring anymore.

When geocachers take the time to create an interesting thoughtful fun cache it makes geocaching so much more fun and worthwhile.

Perhaps adding additional Attributes - Scenic View is already there, but how about others like Unusual Cache Container, Unexpected Area, Historical Significance, etc. It would be nice to build better PQs based on these types of attributes, instead of getting a PQ of a lot of boring caches.

I am sure that it must have been discussed before, but adding a rating system that would be more than just rate this cache on a scale of 1-10 would be really helpful as well.

Some of the most interesting caches that I have found have been when I have been traveling and someone took the time to put a geocache that actually had some thought to placing it.

Losing your enthusiasm!........I've just found this photo on the 'Recent Images Log'

b595c413-3b57-4981-9fcb-5930bd53b9b3.jpg

By the expression on the face of this lady I think she's on the verge of telling her other half exactly what he can do with the micro capsule :( Let's hope it's a micro, it could be an ammo can! :(

I've seem the same look on my wifes face :huh:

LOLs !!!!

She might not be happy that post brightened my whole day! :(

I know I get fed up caching alone... maybe it would be more fun if we organised a bit of a group caching day somewhere?

I totally agree. I've just joined the NWcachers on a day out on Anglezarke and it was good fun and motivating. Mr Lodgebarn invited me out for some bogtrotting to Fait Accompli yesterday too - a 3.5/4.5 and that was... bracing really... where did I put that oxygen cylinder?

Group caching doesn't suit the introverts though.

I know I get fed up caching alone... maybe it would be more fun if we organised a bit of a group caching day somewhere?

I totally agree. I've just joined the NWcachers on a day out on Anglezarke and it was good fun and motivating. Mr Lodgebarn invited me out for some bogtrotting to Fait Accompli yesterday too - a 3.5/4.5 and that was... bracing really... where did I put that oxygen cylinder?

Group caching doesn't suit the introverts though.

Clearly it is also the quiet season on the event front, i'm sure things will pick up one day :)

We need some really harsh frosts which would make a walk on Dartmoor more appealing too.

Now then where's that urge........................................ :)

Usually you start losing interest on geocaching when caches near you become less and less.

Then you have to start traveling long distances to find new caches.

You, at the UK are so lucky to have so many geocaches even in London...

So I would recommend some traveling with main purpose geocaching.

Quite challenging I think.

After reading more of the previous posts, I have to add something.

It has become a run for numbers and I can blame the number that by default stands after our nickname.

I think it should also be displayed the number of installed caches and even more the number of really interesting installed caches, as voted by the visitors.

Or even better these numbers could be part of a calculation that would produce the number after the nickname.

I think the number of found has lead us to a run for numbers.

Edited by YanniG

So I would recommend some traveling with main purpose geocaching.

Quite challenging I think.

Do you fancy another week full on Geocaching in California Terry? :yikes: (maybe not this year!)

Um......let me think about that "YEP" Need to include one of thos ape caches too :grin:

I fancy doing the ones at the poles as well........same trip? :yikes:

Edited by Wadders

;) Another weekend off and still no caching, one of my longest spells without doing a cache now. :D

However......i did set one today :D

Excellent.... Now that you have the "cache setting" bug again, you could always think about organising a simple pub get together one evening :D

:lol: I seem to have lost my enthusiasm for caching :o

If, while you people are out caching you happen to come across it...would be so kind as to pop it in the post back to me :o

I'm sure i'll come across it sooner or later, but sooner rather than later would be better :blink:

Who else has gone through this "lull" and why did yours happen? :lol:

Wadders

:( You could always pop and rescue my coin from this cache GCQ8C2 seeing as you know where it is you might be prompted to find un found caches :( Well it's just a suggestion :o

Looks like you've found it again :P.

I bet someone had tidied up and put it in the odds'n'sods draw :D.

NOPE, it is not back, yes i have been out and done a few but still the enthusiasm is not there. :) Perhaps it will not return, i did a few in Taunton and they did nothing for me at all (No disrespect to the cache setters) :P and i attended an event and did a few with Stuey the other night. enjoyed the evening? yes...the company?.... yes, the walks? .....Yes. :) However apart from the one exception not enthused :D

With nearly 3000 finds then I guess you are going to be fed up of run of the mill caches. Just a couple of weeks ago I did a cache that re-invigorated my caching. It wasn't a clever hide. It wasn't a clever puzzle. It was just a decent long walk over rolling hillsides, that involved me having to navigate through farmer's fields and find the stiles in the corner. Walking / hiking is my core love and geocaching is a hobby that bolts on nicely on top of that. Indeed it takes me walking in places I would never have considered before. Until that find, I feared that I was starting to lose the geocaching 'bug'. Gladly, that one cache refreshed me.

I think you still need to keep on caching so that you can find that one cache that flicks your switch again and then you'll find it all worthwhile again. :)

I do agree with scottpa100.For me it's the walk that counts most.There is always at least one cache on a trip that makes it all worthwhile.There are many reasons why enjoy this sport,and I believe a DNF can be just as fulfilling.Reasons why I enjoy range from the type of container,the hiding place,the actual scenic location,the actual gz hunt,or my favourite...just the getting there.

Looks like you've found it again :D.

I bet someone had tidied up and put it in the odds'n'sods draw :).

NOPE, it is not back, yes i have been out and done a few but still the enthusiasm is not there. ;) Perhaps it will not return, i did a few in Taunton and they did nothing for me at all (No disrespect to the cache setters) :D and i attended an event and did a few with Stuey the other night. enjoyed the evening? yes...the company?.... yes, the walks? .....Yes. :D However apart from the one exception not enthused :D

Now don't tell me that you still ain't found it :D , not after finding 60 caches on Sunday plus another 20 Saturday :D .

Good to have you back, you just know that it's pointless trying to fight the addiction :lol::D:)

Terry, now that you've done the Otmoor Ring - are you enthused again? :lol:

I only ask 'cos its a ring I've yet to do, and I could so relate to your thread (though I haven't done nearly as many caches as you).

Don't worry if it hasn't enthused you - you're not letting any side down or anything - I'm just interested..............

A

I lost my enthusiasm a long time a go, mainly due to the amount of caches that were being planted 100 metres down a footpath under a pile of sticks for seemingly absolutly no reason, it starts to wear thin, I mean seriously, why??? I archived a big bulk of caches, adopted out another load and just did the odd one with mates when I was really bored. Recently I moved house and thought I would check out some of the local ones, there are now hundreds of new hides which I'm hoping will involve great new places and twists and turns. Whats really sparked my interest again is getting some of those archived caches back to their former glory. I had a great time re-doing one of my favourites today. At the same time I have kept archived those ones that didn't really have much to offer. If only every single cache had an interesting location to be found, or something original and independant about it, then these lulls might never happen. Maybe if people were more honest in logs when a cache is just down right pants would be good too because then you wouldn't have to waste your time, but people really don't like honesty all that much do they :lol: Any ways, i'm looking forward to seeing whats on offer now and hoping for a big upturn in cache standards!!! Hope everyone else hitting the walls breaks through it soon too! ;)

I lost my enthusiasm a long time a go, mainly due to the amount of caches that were being planted 100 metres down a footpath under a pile of sticks for seemingly absolutly no reason, it starts to wear thin, I mean seriously, why??? I archived a big bulk of caches, adopted out another load and just did the odd one with mates when I was really bored. Recently I moved house and thought I would check out some of the local ones, there are now hundreds of new hides which I'm hoping will involve great new places and twists and turns. Whats really sparked my interest again is getting some of those archived caches back to their former glory. I had a great time re-doing one of my favourites today. At the same time I have kept archived those ones that didn't really have much to offer. If only every single cache had an interesting location to be found, or something original and independant about it, then these lulls might never happen. Maybe if people were more honest in logs when a cache is just down right pants would be good too because then you wouldn't have to waste your time, but people really don't like honesty all that much do they :lol: Any ways, i'm looking forward to seeing whats on offer now and hoping for a big upturn in cache standards!!! Hope everyone else hitting the walls breaks through it soon too! :)

I agree entirely. It's the quality that keeps the interest. With the standard LPC (lamp post cache) that thrives out here, we still do them just for the challenge of avoiding the Muggles, but when walking across the parking lot outside a well known American Home Improvement Store with a big Orange logo it's not exactly a challenge. Conversely, a few weeks ago I was scrambling up rock slides for 500 ft to reach what turned out to be a cache the size of a tobacco tin. It was so isolated they could have left a deep freezer there (well actually they would have needed a helicopter to do that ;) - but a decent size Ammo Box would have done).

In terms of caches per month, we have done far more since moving out here, but then the winter weather is somewhat kinder! :D

Looks like you've found it again :D.

I bet someone had tidied up and put it in the odds'n'sods draw :D.

NOPE, it is not back, yes i have been out and done a few but still the enthusiasm is not there. :D Perhaps it will not return, i did a few in Taunton and they did nothing for me at all (No disrespect to the cache setters) :D and i attended an event and did a few with Stuey the other night. enjoyed the evening? yes...the company?.... yes, the walks? .....Yes. :D However apart from the one exception not enthused :D

Now don't tell me that you still ain't found it :lol: , not after finding 60 caches on Sunday plus another 20 Saturday :D .

Good to have you back, you just know that it's pointless trying to fight the addiction :):D:D

Mmmm, ok i can't sit here and say it's not back after doing that many can I? Mind you i do have a load of local ones to go and get.which i can't be bothered about :D

Terry, now that you've done the Otmoor Ring - are you enthused again? :D

I only ask 'cos its a ring I've yet to do, and I could so relate to your thread (though I haven't done nearly as many caches as you).

Don't worry if it hasn't enthused you - you're not letting any side down or anything - I'm just interested..............

A

;) Enthused? More enthused than i have been, i did enjoy the ring, (enjoy? Probably not the right word) the challenge was fun, but carrying or pushing the bicycle was'nt. :)

I also found out that the travelodge allows pets to stay for an extra tenner, have to remember that my dog Jester would have loved that.

Just a shame that the forums have gone the way they have with "freindly fire" again. Certainly puts a damper on the sport :D

Looks like you've found it again :).

I bet someone had tidied up and put it in the odds'n'sods draw ;).

NOPE, it is not back, yes i have been out and done a few but still the enthusiasm is not there. :) Perhaps it will not return, i did a few in Taunton and they did nothing for me at all (No disrespect to the cache setters) B) and i attended an event and did a few with Stuey the other night. enjoyed the evening? yes...the company?.... yes, the walks? .....Yes. :D However apart from the one exception not enthused :lol:

Now don't tell me that you still ain't found it B) , not after finding 60 caches on Sunday plus another 20 Saturday :D .

Good to have you back, you just know that it's pointless trying to fight the addiction B):):laughing:

Mmmm, ok i can't sit here and say it's not back after doing that many can I? Mind you i do have a load of local ones to go and get.which i can't be bothered about :P

Terry, now that you've done the Otmoor Ring - are you enthused again? :)

A

:laughing: Enthused? More enthused than i have been, i did enjoy the ring, (enjoy? Probably not the right word) the challenge was fun, but carrying or pushing the bicycle was'nt. :laughing:

I also found out that the travelodge allows pets to stay for an extra tenner, have to remember that my dog Jester would have loved that.

Just a shame that the forums have gone the way they have with "freindly fire" again. Certainly puts a damper on the sport :)

I must agree with Terry about enthusiasm going,alot of it i think is about the standard of caches going down hill.

It seems to me that any old layby or bridge etc has a micro now!!! Why?

When i started caching in 2003 there were not that many caches and you were hard pressed to do 3-4 in a day but most were good and thought had gone into them, don't get me wrong micro's have their place and it is nice sometimes to go out on a numbers day but over all the quality has gone down hill.

And since this all kicked off on the forum last week my enthusiasm is waining even more!! B)

I always remember the good ones though and their are lots of them thank goodness. :D