Enthusiasm

Wadders

:) I seem to have lost my enthusiasm for caching :D

If, while you people are out caching you happen to come across it...would be so kind as to pop it in the post back to me :lol:

I'm sure i'll come across it sooner or later, but sooner rather than later would be better :D

Who else has gone through this "lull" and why did yours happen? :huh:

Wadders

I think my enthusiasm ran off with yours tbh.....

BUT.. I'm hoping that it's just cos I've had so much else on in my life lately, and that once all the house renovations are done, I'll discover where I left it and go pick it up.

I went caching on Saturday with my parents, and I really enjoyed it, but it didn't really reignite the spark :unsure:

Edited cos I can't even spell 3 letter words

Edited by HazelS

I also have lost some enthusiasm for football. And so would you if you had suffered like I have at Vicarage Road this season :unsure: I am still very enthusiastic about caching after 5 months, probably more so than when I started. With chess I go through spells of 6 months where it is extremely important to me and I study it hard and then 6 months where I am happy to play matches but cannot face putting any work into it. Am wondering if caching will be the same- I somewhat doubt it, as I can't see myself ever getting tired of good reasons to go on a walk. Of course every cache outing is making it harder to find good caching trips. Will be interesting to see how this affects things after a year or two.

Well I'm a Newcastle fan... So for once football is ok... untill the next game lol

I also have lost some enthusiasm for football. And so would you if you had suffered like I have at Vicarage Road this season :) I am still very enthusiastic about caching after 5 months, probably more so than when I started. With chess I go through spells of 6 months where it is extremely important to me and I study it hard and then 6 months where I am happy to play matches but cannot face putting any work into it. Am wondering if caching will be the same- I somewhat doubt it, as I can't see myself ever getting tired of good reasons to go on a walk. Of course every cache outing is making it harder to find good caching trips. Will be interesting to see how this affects things after a year or two.

Well i'm a leeds fan, so this season i have no problems with the fottball :D

Well i'm a leeds fan, so this season i have no problems with the fottball :D

Well neither would we if we had to play the likes of Luton Town every week!

I was also thinking that a football series would be good. I tried the one at Newcastle, I know there is one at Sunderland and I'm sure there are others. It got me thinking again when I discovered a football TB thats mission is to go to where a decent game of footy is (I already have claimed any jokes around this btw :) ). I would have thought all football league grounds could be covered- I am sure most clubs are supported by at least one cacher. This could be extended to Scotland and Internationally as well as non-league or sites where stadia used to be.

Happy Hammer here too, d'you think they'd let you do a Carlos Tevez memorial cache at the gates of Upton Park? Could be a two parter with one at Bramall Lane .

If we did one for Tevez we'd have to do one for Lampard, Carrick, Cole, Ferdinand (Rio) etc etc.

Well football doesn't interest me in the slightest - never has, so I don't know what you lot are talking about! :)

In just over a year of caching, the bug has got worse, to the point that odd jobs around the house don't get done, the car's filthy and the garden's a mess. I seem to spend my waking hours planning the next trip. Trouble is, I don't get much free time, especially if the wife has anything to do with it! :D

In just over a year of caching, the bug has got worse, to the point that odd jobs around the house don't get done, the car's filthy and the garden's a mess. I seem to spend my waking hours planning the next trip. Trouble is, I don't get much free time, especially if the wife has anything to do with it! :D

I tell you what! That is so true, nothing gets done anymore at home and it interfers with work, if i'm working from home I spend way too much time planning and looking for caches and when I'm not working at home.......LIKE NOW..........I'm on the forum :)

I tell you what! That is so true, nothing gets done anymore at home and it interfers with work, if i'm working from home I spend way too much time planning and looking for caches and when I'm not working at home.......LIKE NOW..........I'm on the forum :D

I'm supposed to be working now! :)

Mine was left with an important part of my brain, somewhere, in a field in Hampshire :)

That's you sorted then! :D

My enthusiasm is the same as ever, my willingness to go out for 18 hours at a stretch in rain, hail, mist and darkness to bag numbers of micros has declined somewhat. I now chose a nice looking area to go caching in, preferably with a good walk involved and STOP when I think I would like to return home for food and a hot bath, even if there are still caches left on my list for the day. Myself and my usual caching partner in crime generally find a decent pub and stop for lunch and refreshments as well! Not being a slave to it works wonders!

I recommend going and doing a nice long and challenging multi, puzzle or series to sort out your problem, Wadders. Near me (Hertfordshire) I would recommend 'Your Mission' but you are probably a bit far away for that. Have you done all the puzzles on Dartmoor yet? :D

Mine's totally gone. I did 1 in December and 2 this month. The nearest ones are too far away to get without driving for miles. I think I've peaked. All I have to look forward to is maintaining my own caches, which is, frankly, a chore sometimes.

Hey: I think I'll start again!!! :):D

New ID, new, fresh start and not too much hurry to find the boxes this time around, but rather to enjoy the scenery. B):D

We hoovered up caches around us in the early days which had the predictable result that there weren't many around locally. Our profile always showed us as autumnal and winter cachers (no need to explain why) but that meant that a trip out in winter really now has to be worth it - and it usually is.

We are quite happy to motor for 40 mins for a carefully chosen group of well sited caches. We are now 'picky'. We enjoy multis as long as they are not just number harvesters and a successful puzzle find is always a real treat. (Still have about half the 'X' Marks the Spot series to do - and I've never cracked any of Tjapukai's puzzles - not a single one!)

We enjoy meets - but these days personally I really enjoy planning to set a cache: the research, the identification of a good location, the creation of an interesting cache page ....

And - hey folks - I've got a whole host of devious caches in the pipeline. I was out today doing yet more research and even enjoying getting wet!

I wonder if people's enthusiasm wanes when they have reached a target that they have been chasing for some time. It would be interesting to know if people slow down or stop when they have reached 100, 1000 etc. Are there a significant number of cachers stuck in the 100-110 range and 1000-1100 range? Perhaps your best bet would be to just do one or two here and there like alma suggested and take it easy. Mind you the weather doesn't help.

I recommend going and doing a nice long and challenging multi, puzzle or series to sort out your problem, Wadders.

Quite agree - you do get trads in nice places etc, but when you get a nice multi, maybe taking you round maybe a city centre making you actually STOP and LOOK at things that you might otherwise just miss just helps you appreciate your surroundings a whole lot more. Likewise, a nice puzzle with off-set published co-ordinates taking you to some nice little village with an ace pub for a meal afterwards. That's where caching is super doopery. Taking you to places that you'd have no other reason at all to visit.

I wonder if people's enthusiasm wanes when they have reached a target that they have been chasing for some time. It would be interesting to know if people slow down or stop when they have reached 100, 1000 etc. Are there a significant number of cachers stuck in the 100-110 range and 1000-1100 range? Perhaps your best bet would be to just do one or two here and there like alma suggested and take it easy. Mind you the weather doesn't help.

Chas, you're dead right!!

I had a lull after my 500th - which I chased like mad for about 3 months. I didn't really have the lull after the 1000th, as it was camping season, and far too many events meant far too many caches to chase. However...

The lull came around 1200... I had 2 to go to 1200 for almost two months, and nothing could persuade me to go get those three.

In the end, it was a phone call from a local cacher who had worked out a fiendish puzzle cache, but had no GPS with him... I HAD to go rescue him. I never even realised it was the 1200th at the time to be honest!

I think for me, living on a penninsula means that cache planning is more difficult. I now only have 2 left on Wirral, and one is a 15 mile walk (ok, some bits are drivable!)

I hope to get the other crossed off on Saturday, and then hopefully it will mean Wirral is cleared.

/me rolls her eyes at the thought of then having to clear the N Wales coast of Marzipan caches :rolleyes:

My enthusiasm was at a very low ebb an hour or so ago as it was p***ing down.

Now the sun has come out and I am just checking if there is anything new around here, or I will carry on with the local batch of unfounds. :rolleyes:

And what happens - a DNF nearly broke my run of at least a cache a day so far this year! :D

Fortunately there was a reasonably easy one on my way home - though that was difficult for this shortie to reach! :)

I only managed two caches in December, but after finding a couple on New Years Day I have got back into the swing of it, mind you I find I'm being much more selective and now will quite happily ignore ones quite close by if they don't appeal, whereas before I would try to clear up all the locals.

As for caches at footy grounds, there is one each at Goodison and Anfield, but being a blue I can't quite make myself go for the Liverpool one, I could have had an ftf at it, I was parked about twelve feet away according to my gps but I couldn't bear it so went home instead! :rolleyes: