A Different Linux Question...

BTBAM

So I just bought an Asus Eee PC 4G 701 and am running ubuntu and was planning on using it out when I'm caching with my colorado to get wifi and download new waypoints around. Since the colorado has the paperless caching, I don't need a program like watcher or gsak, as long as when i plug in my colorado (or GPSmap 60csx for that matter) into the usb, I'll be able to download waypoints directly to the garmin via the plugin. I guess what I'm asking is if garmin communicator works on linux. Is this going to work while I'm running ubuntu or do I need to put windows on it?

Edited by BTBAM

So I just bought an Asus Eee PC 4G 701 and am running ubuntu and was planning on using it out when I'm caching with my colorado to get wifi and download new waypoints around. Since the colorado has the paperless caching, I don't need a program like watcher or gsak, as long as when i plug in my colorado (or GPSmap 60csx for that matter) into the usb, I'll be able to download waypoints directly to the garmin via the plugin. I guess what I'm asking is if garmin communicator works on linux. Is this going to work while I'm running ubuntu or do I need to put windows on it?

couple of things to try:

- gpsbabel can do the transfer... I just checked and you can find it in synaptic package manager if you are running the current ubuntu (gutsy 7.10)

-you could try running gsak in WINE. You will need to install wine. I run gsak in virtualbox personally and do the transfer through that, but on the eeepc this would be pretty slow.

I have an eeepc as well, like it alot so far. I run ubuntu on it too :drama: If I were you I would export the gpx to html or other format, upload waypoints to garmin, and consult against html pages when necessary. Pretty much what I have done with pda and laptops running linux for a while now. Oh ya, I have a 60cx. Eeerie.

Hi,

I am planning to buy a eee pc to but trying to leaving te xandros OS on it. Can I use Wine on the eee pc? and will work Gsak on it?

I have usb to serial connector to connect my garmin legend to my laptop now. is there a chance this will work on a eee pc?

Nice laptop the eeepc Hope this will work.

The alternative is to install xp on it but the xandros OS still needs a chance.

Greetings Ardligthart

I'm fairly new at geocaching, and have been looking into various Linux software. I use gpsman for planning routes and seeing caches near each other. (QLandKarte is also a fairly workable program, but it's in beta and has trouble communicating with my Garmin eTrex basic yellow.)

Mostly though, I use gpsbabel to translate downloaded LOC files to GPX and upload them to the unit in one command.