Garmin Vista Hcx update

DruNuts

I havn't seen any threads on the new update for the Vista Hcx yet. So I decided to start one. I am waiting for the delivery of my new Vista Hcx today. I have been worried about the odometer problem and I am interested in hearing some test run by someone that has downloaded the new update. I hear that this new update has fixed the odometer problem. I would just like a little reassurance that I made the right choice in choosing the Vista Hcx. Thanks in advace for all your input!

Drew

Edited by DruNuts

Welcome to the Forums! :)

I have the Vista HCx and have updated to the latest firmware. Although the results when comparing to other GPS units have been a bit odd . . .

c5968b05-3a5e-46dc-acae-92b26c14ecc3.jpg

and

8c3e1858-0bc9-45f6-9daf-17d9a42ef630.jpg __ 0fe1906d-2346-4f64-acf2-de307cf1a2c9.jpg

The last two pictures show the results from my Vista HCx on the left and my friend's GPS Map60CSx on the right. The Moving Time and Stopped Time are what confused me . . . :D

We were not stopped for the length of time my Vista HCx reported . . .

The miles traveled were a lot closer than before the Firmware update. :huh:

GOOD NEWS! Thanks for the kind welcome! I was also wondering what the first thing I should do with my Vista hcx out of the box to make sure its updated and calibrated up to date. I did download the webupdater from Garmin.com. Where would I go from here?

Hook up your vista to the usb - power on your unit - startup the webupdater program - easy as following the prompts from there. Of course make certain you are Internet connected. Be sure to get the "addtional" updates as that is where the chipset update comes from.

Cool, sounds easy enough. I was also wondering what the best way to calibrate the altimeter was. If I should find a benchmark and find the altitude or if there was another way.

I went down to the ocean and told it 0 feet. it was pretty close before though. showing around 20 feet.

the tide moves almost that much anyways :unsure: :unsure: :lol:

if you can't get to the water, then you'd have to find a known hight place somewhere.