smartphones and geocaching

flper

I've had the Palm Treo 650 for a while, until I lost it.

That fit the bill for me quite well. I had CacheMate in there with probably about 20 different databases of cache clusters all over the place, including caches along routes. The cache logs and what I took/left would simply be exported over to the built-in "Memos" app, so the next time I synced my Treo to my desktop, all of my cache logs would be transferred as well. The built-in calculator, which can be set to a variety of math functions to suit your "math out in the field" requirements, is a sweet bonus also.

http://ottawageocaching.com/forum/index.ph...msg6655#msg6655

My replacement to my lost 650 is the Palm Treo 680. I wanted something that used the Palm Operating System, and not the Winblows Mobile OS, as I'm not a big fan of Winblows. That's why I also use a Mac, but that should be irrelevant.

Send me a PM if you have any more questions that I may be of assistance with.

Good luck.

I use a Treo 650 right now. Works great with Cachemate as noted above. I travel for work and have a Cachemate database set up for each city/area I travel to. Key is to remember to run the pocket queries, update GSAK, then export to cachemate before I get on the airplane. If I do that I am in great shape to cache once I land.

John, don't give up on the iPhone idea. I have been playing around with GSAK, space on a server and and etrex and have been getting dialed in on a technique that works well.

It takes a bit of playing around wth GSAK, but I have been creating filters that select caches I want and then have been uploading them to a web server I use. The iPhone goes to the site and shows me the logs, clues, etc. I have tried looking at these pages on a non-iPhone smart phone and the performance is not so hot. The beauty of this is I can create different pages for different areas or types of caches and the update is very easy.

Now you could load all this information into a large memory card, but how about the easy access to sat maps as well? The iPhone has it's shortcomings, but to be honest, I cannot imagine anything with more utility if used with custom web pages generated by GSAK.

Paul

I am in the process of upgrading my phone to a smart phone from AT&T wireless. I am not considering the iphone. What other models can I use for geocaching, using gsak or gpxsonar, etc for paperless caching.

Thanks,

flper aka john

While nothing beats the iPhone for surfing... I believe you'll be limited for anything else required for caching [save using a 'Life Line' of course]. SideKick2 (by Danger) comes in second for surfing but also leaves you in want with the lack of available software.

I've used Treo phones (Palm) for years and it would be hard to pry it out of my hand. The GPSr would be frustrating to cache with because you need the speed of a dedicated device, but otherwise nothing that I've looked at compares. CacheMate works wonderfully as well as tons of other programs. Do a Google search for 'Palm Freeware' and you'll quickly understand how powerful a tool the Treo is.

I think we're going back to AT&T (now that they appear to not treat their customers like step children). I've been dragging my feet because I have to leave my Treo 700p for whatever they offer. Looks like the 755p or the Centro (who'd wants the junky camera on the 680?).

I see no one's waving a BlackBerry banner on these replies. I wonder if that's by chance or if they're too limiting on the software that they can use?! I know nothing about them other than they have high ratings.

Bill, I am pretty new to caching, but in what way is the iPhone limited? I port out a ton of info to the web and can read it very quickly on the road, also can easily click over to the original posts on geocaching.com, and use google maps to view the caches from sats or in map view. The only problem I could forsee is if there were no cell coverage, but so far I haven't run into that. Now it won't function as a GPS, nor do routing, but I have a NUVI and eTrex that do that.

I cached today and hurt my achiles tendon so I used GSAK to pull up local caches that have a 1 terrain and a 1 or 1.5 difficulty. Popped them on the web for the iPhone and downloaded to my eTrex the coordinates and short info. What am I missing?

Paul

While nothing beats the iPhone for surfing... I believe you'll be limited for anything else required for caching [save using a 'Life Line' of course]. SideKick2 (by Danger) comes in second for surfing but also leaves you in want with the lack of available software.

I own a Blackberry 8820 from AT&T. I use the Trimble's Geocache Navigator software and I have been very happy with it. You can find caches near you and go right them and you can also manually add coords even when you don't have phone service as long as you can find the GPS satellites in the sky. I can also log finds from the built in browser. My phone is also used for driving navigation using Mapquest software.

www.geocachenavigator.com

I own a Blackberry 8820 from AT&T. I use the Trimble's Geocache Navigator software and I have been very happy with it. You can find caches near you and go right them and you can also manually add coords even when you don't have phone service as long as you can find the GPS satellites in the sky. I can also log finds from the built in browser. My phone is also used for driving navigation using Mapquest software.

I use a Blackberry 8310 for geocaching with geocache navigator. It works great! I can do paperless caching and it will work when i have no cell service too, as long as i have tht coords. Also it is great for spur of the moment cacheing. I don't even use a gps unit, just my blackberry.

I use a Blackberry 8310 for geocaching with geocache navigator. It works great! I can do paperless caching and it will work when i have no cell service too, as long as i have tht coords. Also it is great for spur of the moment cacheing. I don't even use a gps unit, just my blackberry.

So here's my wish list....

I'm almost ready to get an upgrade with AT&T. I've considered one of the iClones but they don’t seem to work well with AT&T. Hmmm. But here are some things I would love to see in my “perfect cellphone.”

* A cheaper phone bill (I have the lowest AT&T plan and never use all my anytime minutes)

* Clear reception

* Dirt cheap txt messaging

* Wi-Fi

* USB support (for file transfer etc - all though not as important if I get Wi-Fi)

* GPS with Google Maps (or something comparable) that I can also use for geocaching

* Sync or access to my contact list and calendar (primarily Gmail and Google Calendar)

* Gmail (via Wi-Fi or dirt cheap Internet)

* Ability to add software when the need arises

* Something that fits easily in my pocket

Bonus Features (not a must):

* A camera (not that important)

* Custom ringtones

* Mp3 player

* Voice recorder

* Super easy Bluetooth use - for headsets and transferring files

It’s not that hard. I just mainly want something that connects with the services and things I already use and adds GPS functionality for driving and or geocaching - and I don't want to have to pay an extra $10 to use GPS (like AT&T recommends). I'd like a true GPS phone that uses free satellites just like my hand held unit.

Like I mentioned, my contract with AT&T is almost up - so I'd be open to considering another service - although most of my calls are to other AT&T customers so those free Mobile-to-Mobile minutes serve me wonderfully.

Anyone got a great suggestion

I've been using a Palm Treo for quite a while now,, a GREAT unit for paperless caching! It's interesting to hear how iPhone people have adjusted their smartphone usage by uploading cache info to a website that they can later surf to from their iPhone to review. A nice way to work around the fact you can't (yet) load 3rd party software onto an iPhone,, nore can't you use even an external GPSr receiver via bluetooth... And what if you can't get a web connection while out caching in the woods? That happens to me all the time, so I wouldn't be able to see the web page cache details...

How visible is the iPhones screen outdoors in bright sunlight?

I am in the process of upgrading my phone to a smart phone from AT&T wireless. I am not considering the iphone. What other models can I use for geocaching, using gsak or gpxsonar, etc for paperless caching.

Thanks,

flper aka john

as others have indicated, certain flavors of "smart" phones can run special geocaching software (e.g., cachemate for the palm OS, pocket PC or windows smartphone; geocache navigator for blackberry phones with a GPS receiver; geoniche for the palm, etc.).

But if your phone has a web browser and you can transfer files to it, you may wish to consider the solution I use - create cache listings in html format using GSAK and view the results in your phones browser. some discussion of this can be found here.

One benefit of this approach is that you can use any phone (that has a browser) and thus make your phone choice based on the other purposes it would serve (beyond being a vessel for cache info). A caveat is that it requires using GSAK, but that wasn't an issue for me as I have been a long-time user of the program - it has a bit of learning curve associated with it, but is highly customizable and the developer (and many users) provide(s) outstanding technical support. With one press of a button, I can now launch a macro that loads my pocket queries, updates my GSAK database, sets a filter on the core caches in my area, and uploads cache info to my GPS receiver and my phone.

Cheers, Greg

I'm almost ready to get an upgrade with AT&T. I've considered one of the iClones but they don’t seem to work well with AT&T. Hmmm. But here are some things I would love to see in my “perfect cellphone.”

* A cheaper phone bill (I have the lowest AT&T plan and never use all my anytime minutes)

* Clear reception

* Wi-Fi

* USB support (for file transfer etc - all though not as important if I get Wi-Fi)

* GPS with Google Maps (or something comparable) that I can also use for geocaching

* Sync or access to my contact list and calendar (primarily Gmail and Google Calendar)

* Custom ringtones

* Mp3 player

* Voice recorder

It’s not that hard. I just mainly want something that connects with the services and things I already use and adds GPS functionality for driving and or geocaching - and I don't want to have to pay an extra $10 to use GPS (like AT&T recommends). I'd like a true GPS phone that uses free satellites just like my hand held unit.

Like I mentioned, my contract with AT&T is almost up - so I'd be open to considering another service - although most of my calls are to other AT&T customers so those free Mobile-to-Mobile minutes serve me wonderfully.

Anyone got a great suggestion

Sounds an awful lot like my wishlist....

I was thinking about the Mororola Q9 (Q-Global) with Garmin mobile XT loaded to it, but I don't think it has the wi-fi ability and I don't know if it would run GSAK.

AK

Sprint has some cheap plans under there SERO offer that offer unlimted data and texts and a decent package of minutes.The mogul would fill all of your wants.I use mine for quite a bit of different things and it works great for caching when I want to do some and dont have my Colorado or 60csx with me.

I have a sprint PPC 6800 (Mogul), here is how it stacks up to your wish list.

Sprint has plans starting at $30

* Clear reception

This depends on where you live

I think it is $.10 per or $10 a month unlimited.

* Wi-Fi

Check

Check

Check for Google Maps and a ton of other geocaching specific programs.

Check

Check on Wi-Fi or unlimited internet is $15 a month

Can't beat windows mobile for the available software

Check

Check

* Custom ringtones

Check, any MP3 you want, for free

* Mp3 player

Check

* Voice recorder

Check

Check

In addition to this the phone can do an amazing amount of other things if you are willing to play around with it. These things are simply incredible.

You can also get a VX6800 from Verizon if their service or prices are better in your area. I think you still have to mod a Verizon phone to get the GPS to work though.

I can vouch for the XV6800 as have been using it for caching. Works well but you do need to install a custom ROM which isn't really all that hard to enable the GPS (all the info is available at ppcgeeks.com or xda-developers.com on their forums if you look). There is some rumor that the GPS enabled Verizon ROM will be out this quarter...

If that helps then I'm using nokia E51, which has symbian OS inside.

Since i did not find any programs for it I descided to take another route.

Using gsak, I generate html files of database into one subdirectory.

I then upload the whole directory on to the phones memorycard.

Using the pones browsed I bookmark the folder and when I'm out cacheing I just pull out my phone and browse it from there.

It looks like this:

Scr000002.jpgScr000003.jpgScr000004.jpgScr000005.jpg

I use a Treo 650 right now. Works great with Cachemate as noted above. I travel for work and have a Cachemate database set up for each city/area I travel to. Key is to remember to run the pocket queries, update GSAK, then export to cachemate before I get on the airplane. If I do that I am in great shape to cache once I land.

ETA: June 23: Switched to Sprint Mogul with PPC. I can't see ever going back to a Palm platform. It is very outdated compared to the newer PPC OS. (my opinion, if you don't agee - well I don't give a crap)

I just got my HTC Mogul 6800 and it's awesome. I can run Mapopolis for voice navigation and routing to caches. GPXSonar works well. Now, instead of carrying a phone and PDA, i just have one device ... and it has a GPS.

I had the Motorola Q9c before this ... but the lack of touchscreen made it hard to operate geocaching apps.

By the way, does anyone have any recommendations for "light off-road" geocaching that runs on Windows Mobile? Mapopolis has a screen that lets you navigate to a cache (once you arrive to the general area) but I was wondering if there was something else that people use on their PDA/smartphone. I've heard of Beeline GPS (i think that's what it's called but i've never tried it). I'm curious to see just how accurate the GPS is ... like I said, this is for "light" geocaching.