GPS60Csx and Australia

j2garnett

I'm looking at buying this GPS in about a month - gotta save up! :)

Anyway, I'm in Australia and my usage would probably be Geocaching 80%, driving 20%.

Do any maps come with it, and if not, what is good to get? I'd like to be able to use it on upcoming trips to the US and UK as well.

I looked at this: http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B0000...howViewpoints=1

but it gets very mixed reviews.

So, anyone who caches in Australia in particular, but also worldwide, chime in on maps I need, please :huh:

Not to be rude but have you even bothered to look at the product you wanted to buy? to see what is included? or what additional maps are available?

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=310

Yes, I did quite a lot of research actually - maybe that's what has me confused.

I did see that it listed maps, but then I wasn't sure if that's what it came with or was compatible with - I'm new to this after all. Not sure how your attitude is helpful, you could just as easily have answered the question nicely or stayed out of the post.

Anyway, just wondered if there was something else I need to research and price out in addition to the unit itself.

If you get a garmin you'll want City Navigator Australia

And say what unit are you looking at getting?

Thanks, Quigley, I'll check that out. :unsure: I am looking at the Garmin 60CsX.

I'm looking at buying this GPS in about a month - gotta save up! :unsure:

Anyway, I'm in Australia and my usage would probably be Geocaching 80%, driving 20%.

Do any maps come with it, and if not, what is good to get? I'd like to be able to use it on upcoming trips to the US and UK as well.

So, anyone who caches in Australia in particular, but also worldwide, chime in on maps I need, please :unsure:

If you want Australian Topographical Maps for Garmin GPS units have a look HERE. Product is "OZtopo".

I'm looking at buying this GPS in about a month - gotta save up! :unsure:

So, anyone who caches in Australia in particular, but also worldwide, chime in on maps I need, please :unsure:

If you want Australian Topographical Maps for Garmin GPS units have a look HERE. Product is "OZtopo".

If you are after Topo maps, you should DEFINITELY download the free "ShonkyMaps" from here:

http://shonkylogic.net/shonkymaps/

Despite the name, there is nothing "shonky" about ShonkyMaps - the product comes from the author's geocaching name (shonkylogic).

Terrific product - and you can't beat the price!

You will need MapSource to load maps to your GPSr (but that should come with the 60CSx). 200 MB required for coverage of all Australia, but you can download smaller sections.

I use a Vista (the old model, with grey-scale screen, 24 MB memory, non expandable), and it works fine.

Hope this helps!

For au based information- gpsaustralia.net - forum and free download (400 MB) of bushroads + topo (to 50m). If you have a slow line the author originally put out his map as a torrent - might still be there. UK mapping - osm is v up to date + is good for cities and is free. For au city driving garmin want you to shell out $350 + for CN maps - when you can buy a ppc based car nav for less than $200 with same Telstra maps on. There are workarounds to get MS worldmap - I think through garmins Motion Based - but havent tried.

Thanks!! I see you're in Australia, too - may I ask what GPS you use?

I had a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSX but lent it to a friend (in Sydney) last year and haven't got it back yet :unsure: . I found the 60CSX to be a great unit for what I used it for (primarly in the bush in remote areas).

I'm just waiting on Garmin's new range to become available - the "Colorado". I'm going to get a "300" model direct from one of the USA suppliers (once I have saved up the dollars needed). With the way our dollar is at the moment (exchange rate) it is much cheaper to buy direct from O/S rather than from one of our local retailers (however if you do have a problem with an imported unit - if it is under warranty - you have to return it to the point of purchase - ie. back O/S. That could get a bit expensive with International Courier costs if you have a problem).

I had a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSX but lent it to a friend (in Sydney) last year and haven't got it back yet :unsure: . I found the 60CSX to be a great unit for what I used it for (primarly in the bush in remote areas).

I'm just waiting on Garmin's new range to become available - the "Colorado". I'm going to get a "300" model direct from one of the USA suppliers (once I have saved up the dollars needed). With the way our dollar is at the moment (exchange rate) it is much cheaper to buy direct from O/S rather than from one of our local retailers (however if you do have a problem with an imported unit - if it is under warranty - you have to return it to the point of purchase - ie. back O/S. That could get a bit expensive with International Courier costs if you have a problem).

When you used it out bush, were you using that oztopo map? Or just what it came with?

When you used it out bush, were you using that oztopo map? Or just what it came with?

The base map that is supplied with the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSX is not of any real use .... and the unit I had was imported direct from USA so the base map was for USA only !! - no good for Australia anyway.

I have used OZtopo which I found to be pretty good (a newer version is due out later this month).

I would suggest maybe starting with the "free" topo maps (for Garmin units) as suggested by "stfish" in this thread, to see if any are in your area (Alice Springs?) then trying those and maybe progressing from there.

I had a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSX but lent it to a friend (in Sydney) last year and haven't got it back yet :) . I found the 60CSX to be a great unit for what I used it for (primarly in the bush in remote areas).

The base map that is supplied with the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSX is not of any real use .... and the unit I had was imported direct from USA so the base map was for USA only !! - no good for Australia anyway.

I have used OZtopo which I found to be pretty good (a newer version is due out later this month).

I would suggest maybe starting with the "free" topo maps (for Garmin units) as suggested by "stfish" in this thread, to see if any are in your area (Alice Springs?) then trying those and maybe progressing from there.

The free ShonkyMap topo maps are based on national 1:250,000 topographic maps, and cover ALL of Australia (including Alice Springs, as well as Boggabilla, Cootamundra, Gulargambone, Mungindi, Limejuice Camp, etc, etc). :D

However, ShonkyMaps are NOT routable.

Cheers!